Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I've used Keratin Express Treatment before (I don't think I've seen this brand mentioned).

Keratin Express Brazilian Smoothing Treatment delivers beautiful, smooth, shiny hair in just 20 minutes.
This advanced treatment contains the exclusive Cyprosil Complex that bonds to the hair, providing ultra conditioning that lasts up to 4 weeks.

My hair did not breakoff or damage. Of course did not follow the directions, but rather I catered to my hair's needs.

I'm planning on using again once I'm out of boxbraids.
I'll post pics when I use it.

Would anyone be interested in a list of lesser known Brazilian brands that are formaldehyde free. I am currently making a list for my personal use and was wondering if anyone was interested.

Napp when you used QOD did you use their pretreatment shampoo as well? If so did it cause any extra tangles? And does the treatment itself once applied (step 4 below) help the combing process. My relaxed ends tangle something fierce so my plan is to:

1 - detangle and braid into 16 plaits that have been combed (wide tooth)
2 - wash with the pretreatment in the plaits
3 - dry under hood dryer in the plaits to avoid issues with blow drying
4 - take down 1braid, section into 3, apply QOD Max Organiq, comb thru with fine comb
5 - wait 5 min then blow dry that section using the tension method
6 - flat iron section on 375, 2 passes
7 - repeat steps 4 - 6 above until all braids have been taken down and treated

This weekend I plan on coloring my hair so I won't do the treatment until the weekend of the 27th.

Napp when you used QOD did you use their pretreatment shampoo as well? If so did it cause any extra tangles? And does the treatment itself once applied (step 4 below) help the combing process. My relaxed ends tangle something fierce so my plan is to:

1 - detangle and braid into 16 plaits that have been combed (wide tooth)
2 - wash with the pretreatment in the plaits
3 - dry under hood dryer in the plaits to avoid issues with blow drying
4 - take down 1braid, section into 3, apply QOD Max Organiq, comb thru with fine comb
5 - wait 5 min then blow dry that section using the tension method
6 - flat iron section on 375, 2 passes
7 - repeat steps 4 - 6 above until all braids have been taken down and treated

This weekend I plan on coloring my hair so I won't do the treatment until the weekend of the 27th.

No I didn't I used a regular sulfate shampoo.

Your application sounds good.

I personally modify mine so it goes like this:

-section hair into 4
-shampoo 2 times
-towel dry
-apply treatment
-Blow dry (tension dry at first and finish with round brush)
-Flat iron 2 passes at 370
Then I usually keep it in for a week.

Napp does keeping it in a week make the treatment stronger or just a personal preference to avoid more manipulation? Maybe I should add the round brush. My only concern is breakage because there's no detangling agent to offset it.

Napp does keeping it in a week make the treatment stronger or just a personal preference to avoid more manipulation? Maybe I should add the round brush. My only concern is breakage because there's no detangling agent to offset it.

I actually dont know if there is a difference.some people say that there is. i just keep it in because it takes alot of work and ill be damned if i have to wash it out the same day:lol: i always keep it in a minimum of 3 days.

if you dont feel comfortable with the round brush than just do it like you planned. i like the round brush because i feel when i get a straighter blowdry i get better longer lasting results overall. my hair is usually detangled when i section it in 4 and i use a moisturizing shampoo so it doesn't get tangled during the wash.

I actually dont know if there is a difference.some people say that there is. i just keep it in because it takes alot of work and ill be damned if i have to wash it out the same day:lol: i always keep it in a minimum of 3 days.

if you dont feel comfortable with the round brush than just do it like you planned. i like the round brush because i feel when i get a straighter blowdry i get better longer lasting results overall. my hair is usually detangled when i section it in 4 and i use a moisturizing shampoo so it doesn't get tangled during the wash.

That makes sense, I may have to follow suite since from beginning to end I'm probably looking at 4 hours

@caliscurls @Missy25 tapioca_pudding

Last night, I did the a full application of the Organix keratin treatment. I have to maintain it in my hair for 48 hours and then wash it out. Im only on my 16th hour and well. My hair is still straight.

I did the application and followed the instructions. I washed my hair twice with the pre-treatment shampoo included in the box. I then towel dried my hair and when it was 80% dry, I started applying the keratin treatment through all my hair. Then let the treatment sit in my hair for 30 mins. At that point, I noticed that during the application and during my waiting period the treatment doesn't have the strong smell that MT has. Which is great!!! :yep:.

Once that my 30 mins wait time was up, it was time to blow dry my hair. While blow drying I noticed that I didn't have the strong smell and vapor that I had with MT. I also notived that my hair is very very soft!!!:lick:

After blow drying my hair, it was time to flat iron in small sections. I kept my flat iron at 400. With the first pass I noticed an immediate difference, my hair became super shiny, silky and straight. Since I'm relaxed , I did a total of 5-6 passes for each section. When all was done, my hair felt super straight , I would day type 2- ish... and It is super silky, strong and shiny.

At bed time, I simply covered my pillow with my silk scarf and laid may straight. Sort of like this:

stock-photo-above-view-of-resting-female-under-linen-sheet-with-her-long-hair-spread-on-pillow-24902431.jpg

I haven't touched up my hair with a flat iron...as opposed with MT, in morning I would of hat to re- flat iron lots of parts. My hair is even softer and silkier and yes still straight. :yep:

So far so good.

Sorry my cell phone battery died and cannot charge the phone at all..so I can't take pics :-(

BlackHairDiva - Im so happy you had good results!!! Im really tempted to just skip the MT and do the Organix on the 26th.. Ill see what results you get. I did just get the pre-shampoo from MT, the chocolate one. I also used the Buruti oil today and MAN Im loving my hair!! I cant wait to see how it will behave after I use the Buruti oil and do the BKT.. Im excited! Please keep us updated on your results with this! I just colored my hair on Thursday (I felt like it was too light so I darkened it a bit) so Im in deep condition mode until the 26th.. Im rambling :drunk: Lol!!

would you guys say the keratin treatment is equivalent to a texturizer?

Yes a texturizer you can't control it killed my curls when I tried it a while back it took me a year to recover and that's with cutting a lot off

Last edited:
Yes a texturizer you can't control it killed my curls when I tried it a while back it took me a year to recover and that's with cutting a lot off

Lucia thank you. I'm sorry to spring this on you but what would you recommend for someone who has never chemically straightened their hair or anything of the sort? I have 3b hair with some a and c in there too. I was addicted to heat for a long time which killed it, but i really wanna try something like this because the longer my hair gets, the more tangles and it's just so hard to handle. i probably wont do this until im closer to WL if at all but I'm wishful thinking lol. my hair is so crazy :sad:

Lucia thank you. I'm sorry to spring this on you but what would you recommend for someone who has never chemically straightened their hair or anything of the sort? I have 3b hair with some a and c in there too. I was addicted to heat for a long time which killed it, but i really wanna try something like this because the longer my hair gets, the more tangles and it's just so hard to handle. i probably wont do this until im closer to WL if at all but I'm wishful thinking lol. my hair is so crazy :sad:

melahnee

Well you could do twist or braid outs to help keep your hair from tangling as much.
Sometimes when hair gets longer or reaches a new length it tangles then it gets a little more longer and the tangling stops.
Also how you wear your hair for bedtime makes a BIG diff do you wear a scarf or bonnet? Do u sleep with your hair loose or high pony or loose braids

But tangles means either something your doing like technique is making your hair tangle more or it's one of your products that's not giving your hair enough slip. Or if you shampoo it's the shampoo making your hair tangle
If you switch to co washing and water rinsing alternate days your bar will retain more moisture.

Also your hair could just need some good old fashioned dc treatments
I think you should try a light protein dc then a moisturizing dc with warmed damp towel 15-30 min is enough unless your hair is more damaged then more time.
I would never suggest heat training blow frying or straightening on the regular to "fix" tangles you'd still have tangles anyway. Being a type 3 doesn't automatically mean it you can jut do free form wash n gos try some diff techs analyze what you are doing and your products sleep do
it's one of them Hope that made sense
Happy hair growing :)

Look up on YouTube
1 ballerina
Mahogany curls
Richeau Empressri
Hair crush

Last edited:
I'd like the list!

im still working on this. i am also trying to research what the alternate active ingredients are.

Also i am planning on testing a way to do keratin treatments with no heat. i have an ultrasonic infrared iron which is supposed to help seal in the keratin treatment heatlessly.(i bought a cheap one from china) I LOVE IT for regular protien treatments and my hair looks great after using it but i never actually used it with a keratin treatment formula that is supposed to silken and smooth the hair. I cant wait until my treatment comes in the mail!

i wonder if it will have a similar effect or will I just get results similar to when i use keratin treatments? only time will tell! I still am monitoring long term effects from using the ultrasonic iron on my hair.

sorry to hear this! This is way i always recommend doing a test section when trying a new bkt. Not all formulas are made equal and many formulas are for women who want straight hair.

I am curious, what temperature did you flat iron it on?

Ops, I can't see mentions on my phone and I don't often use a pc. I have a CHI flatiron, so there is no temp control. It's just on or off. I did about 3 passes. Next time I won't leave it on so long. I can say that it's been 2 weeks and I've been swimming several times in a salt water pool and my hair is still pretty straight, but my curl pattern is starting to return due to the salt. I do plan on doing it again, I really want a nice WNG!

Ops, I can't see mentions on my phone and I don't often use a pc. I have a CHI flatiron, so there is no temp control. It's just on or off. I did about 3 passes. Next time I won't leave it on so long. I can say that it's been 2 weeks and I've been swimming several times in a salt water pool and my hair is still pretty straight, but my curl pattern is starting to return due to the salt. I do plan on doing it again, I really want a nice WNG!

Check your pm. I gave u a product suggestion to help get the curl back

Napp I checked out your latest blog post and enjoyed it. It's the most informative one I've found to date that discusses keratin treatments on our hair. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't voted for that topic! Your hair looks great! Personally the shape looks good to me, you just have to get used to it.

Now I'm off to found out what the heck ultrasonic treatments are....

Napp I checked out your latest blog post and enjoyed it. It's the most informative one I've found to date that discusses keratin treatments on our hair. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't voted for that topic! Your hair looks great! Personally the shape looks good to me, you just have to get used to it.

Now I'm off to found out what the heck ultrasonic treatments are....

Thanks! I think there is really a lot of old info out there in general. I like staying hip on new hair trends:yep:

Thanks! I think there is really a lot of old info out there in general. I like staying hip on new hair trends:yep:

Wow your blog is awesome. :yep: I think you are the only other person in the world that's tried 50-11 keratin treatments too! :lol:

I just read your review of QOD Organiq I didn't know you did OK keratin I did that one too lol. I need to write them all down. :look: :spinning:

So I'm reading in some places you should wait 2 weeks and in other places you need to only wait 48 hours to use QOD Max Organiq after coloring your hair. Any experience on what has / hasn't worked? I was going to wait until July but I kinda want to do it this weekend. Monday I colored my hair with Garnier Olia (permanent, ammonia free, took well)

Napp can you please pm me the product that helps return curls?? :D

BlackHairDiva - How are your results so far with the Organix!? I've been dying for an update LOL I sound kinda thirsty, I know. I'm doing my BKT next week and trying to decide if I'm going to go ahead with the MT or get the Organix.

So I'm reading in some places you should wait 2 weeks and in other places you need to only wait 48 hours to use QOD Max Organiq after coloring your hair. Any experience on what has / hasn't worked? I was going to wait until July but I kinda want to do it this weekend. Monday I colored my hair with Garnier Olia (permanent, ammonia free, took well)

I have done QOD Max Orqaniq on my hair about 3 weeks after color with no problem (I had a bleach process though - last year).

If you colored first you don't have to wait as long unless it was a bleach process involved. Some keratin products are done the same day as color to seal or "lock" the color in and give it more vibrancy and longevity. :yep:

tapioca_pudding I'm so happy with the result. I washed it out and I noticed that my hair remained very soft and lots movement and bounce. It straighten very quickly. My blow drying time was cut down a lot!! In up to 5 mins of blow drying, Im done.

@BlackHairDiva - Im so happy you had good results!!! Im really tempted to just skip the MT and do the Organix on the 26th.. Ill see what results you get. I did just get the pre-shampoo from MT, the chocolate one. I also used the Buruti oil today and MAN Im loving my hair!! I cant wait to see how it will behave after I use the Buruti oil and do the BKT.. Im excited! Please keep us updated on your results with this! I just colored my hair on Thursday (I felt like it was too light so I darkened it a bit) so Im in deep condition mode until the 26th.. Im rambling :drunk: Lol!!

Here is my list so far. im still working on the active ingredient parts. some of them are so safe that they dont even require gloves. Tell me if you want to add anything to the list.

Lesser Known Formaldehyde free BKTs

Inoar Argan Oil
Inoar Apple Jelly
Inoar Afro Hair
Cadiveu Glamour
Cadiveu Acai
Fox Cosmeticos Gloss
Fox Cosmeticos No Waves
Fox Cosmeticos Glitter
Fox Cosmeticos Monoi Oil
Fox Cosmeticos Prime
Re+5 Formaldehyde Free version
Keratin Cure Gold and Honey
La Brasilianan Zero
Novex Nutriliss
Silmax Premium Keratina Liquida
Inverto
Keragreen
Advantage vanilla keratin
Rejuvenol Glycoliss
Alter Ego Spherique
Biohairvolux
Bionaza diamond keratin
Saylon Keratin Apple formula
Agi Max
Nunaat Pro volume reducer

Last edited:
BlackHairDiva thanks for responding!!! Do you think you like it better than MT?

I'm thinking that I'm just going to do the Organix this week and see how it works. And in a month I can always go back to the MT if I didn't like it. I just want my hair to be easy to manage for vacation next week.

Napp you are awesome woman! Thanks so much for the list. Have you ever used the Alter Ego one? I did some searching online but didnt find any results on black hair. I'd be tempted to try it since I like their relaxers. Also what do you think of these three?

http://www.zerran.com/services/ServiceView/reallisse

http://www.farouk.com/CHI/Enviro/

http://www.anevolve.com/ ( this one is permanent so I wouldn't use it, others may be interested though)

In order I'll be trying
- QOD MAX ORGANIQ - Q3/Q4 2013
- Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse - Q1 2014 (until the bottle is gone)
- Alter Ego?

I'm looking for a product that will help me get through a loooong transition, doesn't require really high heat, is formaldehyde free, lasts at least 3 months, is reasonably priced, and is easy to DIY.

Back