Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Napp you are awesome woman! Thanks so much for the list. Have you ever used the Alter Ego one? I did some searching online but didnt find any results on black hair. I'd be tempted to try it since I like their relaxers. Also what do you think of these three?

http://www.zerran.com/services/ServiceView/reallisse

http://www.farouk.com/CHI/Enviro/

http://www.anevolve.com/ ( this one is permanent so I wouldn't use it, others may be interested though)

In order I'll be trying
- QOD MAX ORGANIQ - Q3/Q4 2013
- Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse - Q1 2014 (until the bottle is gone)
- Alter Ego?

I'm looking for a product that will help me get through a loooong transition, doesn't require really high heat, is formaldehyde free, lasts at least 3 months, is reasonably priced, and is easy to DIY.

the chi enviro is on my skeptical list. I need to do some more research about it.

I blogged about the spherique a while ago and i totally forgot about it! its on my skeptical list too because it is one of those newer low heat rinse out keratin treatments. i still need to do more research on that. i know QOD and some other brands(like keraminerals) have formulas similar to this as well.

About the straight hair bit i think it would be helpful to know which formulas are targeted towards straighteneing the hair and which are just for volume reduction

Last edited:
Stay away from Zerran. Look around for something else... organix is a good one...go back a few pages 2 or 3 pages you will see clips that I found on youtube...these women are natural using it.

@Napp you are awesome woman! Thanks so much for the list. Have you ever used the Alter Ego one? I did some searching online but didnt find any results on black hair. I'd be tempted to try it since I like their relaxers. Also what do you think of these three?

http://www.zerran.com/services/ServiceView/reallisse

http://www.farouk.com/CHI/Enviro/

http://www.anevolve.com/ ( this one is permanent so I wouldn't use it, others may be interested though)

In order I'll be trying
- QOD MAX ORGANIQ - Q3/Q4 2013
- Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse - Q1 2014 (until the bottle is gone)
- Alter Ego?

I'm looking for a product that will help me get through a loooong transition, doesn't require really high heat, is formaldehyde free, lasts at least 3 months, is reasonably priced, and is easy to DIY.

You are welcome. I suggest that your get a good frizz block serum.... B-straight ( a bit of a pain to order...she takes for ever to ship) or Aveda has a pomade that helps ..cause the hair does frizz yet its still very moisturized.... its a bit odd. I would say do MT for the trip then do organix when your at home and its ok for your hair to be not so perfect.

@BlackHairDiva thanks for responding!!! Do you think you like it better than MT?

I'm thinking that I'm just going to do the Organix this week and see how it works. And in a month I can always go back to the MT if I didn't like it. I just want my hair to be easy to manage for vacation next week.

caliscurl tapioca_pudding

No the serum is more like a humidity blocker. For example lets say your natural and you flat iron your hair but you want to make sure it remains straight all day without reversing. I like burutti serum more but i use both in combo in order to maintain my hair as straight .

QUOTE=tapioca_pudding;18625011]@BlackHairDiva Thanks SO much for that info because I was going to buy the Organix to use today LOL!

Is this the BStraight product - http://www.obedienceonline.com/styling-product/b-stratight-2oz?

Do you like this better than the MT serum?[/QUOTE]

Napp when you used QOD did you use their pretreatment shampoo as well? If so did it cause any extra tangles? And does the treatment itself once applied (step 4 below) help the combing process. My relaxed ends tangle something fierce so my plan is to:

1 - detangle and braid into 16 plaits that have been combed (wide tooth)
2 - wash with the pretreatment in the plaits
3 - dry under hood dryer in the plaits to avoid issues with blow drying
4 - take down 1braid, section into 3, apply QOD Max Organiq, comb thru with fine comb
5 - wait 5 min then blow dry that section using the tension method
6 - flat iron section on 375, 2 passes
7 - repeat steps 4 - 6 above until all braids have been taken down and treated

This weekend I plan on coloring my hair so I won't do the treatment until the weekend of the 27th.

Between last night (washing and drying) and early this morning ( applying QOD and flat ironing) I finished the treatment. Here's what I ended up doing. I haven't washed it out yet, too much work and manipulation for 1 day, but will check back in to let everyone know if my modified method adversely impacted the results.

1 - detangle and braid into 16 plaits that have been combed (wide tooth)
2 - wash with the pretreatment in the plaits
3 - dry under hood dryer in the plaits to avoid issues with blow drying
4 - take down 1braid, section into 3, apply QOD Max Organiq, comb thru with fine comb
- ^^ change from plan: applied to entire head in sections before move to step 5. I did use gloves although the supplied instructions did not require it. Using a tint brush, dipped the brush, swiped the top, middle, then ends, smoothed with fingers down the hair thoroughly, combed with large then small tooth comb. It took about an hour.

5 - wait 5 min then blow dry that section using the tension method
- ^^ change from plan: didn't blow dry, instead I sat under my Pibbs under high heat about 10 min, then medium another 10, all the while smooth and gently pulling my hair down

6 - flat iron section on 375, 2 passes
- ^^ change from plan: used 380, 1 pass

Results: hair is straight and slightly weighed down since I didn't rinse the treatment out. Overall, the process wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I took my time detangling with my EVCO concoction the day prior so that helped. I don't plan on using direct heat except for when the treatment is applied once a quarter and if this method worked I'll continue to use the hooded hair dryer instead of blow drying.

The real test of how it turned out will be when I wash this Sunday.

BlackHairDiva

Thanks so much!!

I'm 90% sure that I"m going to do the Organix tonight. I was going to do the MT but I plan to be at the beach on Monday, and that's not enough days for the MT to set. If the Organix gets washed out/messed up, I won't be as offended LOL. Plus it's going to be hot and humid etc. I think that's what I'm going to do but I may change my mind at the last minute lol. :drunk:

Just to update - I did the Organix Brazilian treatment on Friday night instead of using my Marcia Teixera Chocolate. I just was feeling lazy and didnt feel like being super precise, so I would rather have a messed up result with a $10 product I can get on the ground vs a messed up result with a $100 product I have to order online. :drunk: thats how I reason when Im tired LOL.

Anywho so the application goes:

-Cleanse hair with shampoo included in box. For super curly girls, do two washes.
-I detangled my hair in the shower, then wrapped a tshirt around my hair to absorb the water. You're supposed to get your hair 80% dry.
-Section hair
-Apply product in two inch sections while wearing gloves.
-Let product sit for 30 minutes while you surf LHCF lol
-Blow dry hair until its totally dry. It doesnt have to look perfect and its not going to look super sleek at this stage, but you just want it to be dry. My hair felt hella soft at this point tho.
-Flat iron in small sections. I used my Sedu Revolution on 375. The instructions say use 450 heat but I aint about that life right now lol.

I think I used too much product again smdh, its so hard to know how saturated my hair is with those stupid gloves on. Anywho, so since I think I used too much product my hair felt a bit coated and heavy. But it was very very soft, and just felt good overall. I went to sleep and sweat a little through the night. The next morning instead of flat ironing my roots, I just used the blow dryer in short blasts to smooth out any areas that had gotten puffy overnight. My hair felt much less coated and was more flowy. Last night I wrapped my hair instead of letting it be loose overnight. This morning - soft sleek hair. :yep: Im going to the beach tomorrow so I expect to get my hair wet and then wash/blowdry/flat iron to see the "true" results. I still have a lot of product left so I will be able to use it at least two more times.

Overall I like the product. There were virtually no fumes, it actually smells really good. It was straight forward, easy to use, super affordable and available. I didnt take before pictures because my hair was in a bun and I dont feel like pictures would even really show the difference before and after. I would take after pics but honestly, my hair just looks like it has a really good flat iron job. Ill probably take pics of my hair after the first wash, before and after I blowdry/flat iron.

From what I can tell so far, I think this is a good product if you want to get your feet wet in the BKT world without investing/committing so to speak. I cant really give a real review because I feel like the TRUE test is when I do the first wash. So Ill come back after that with my thoughts, and again when the 30 day period is up.

hmm im starting to wonder if the qod organiq really wears off. I did 3 treatments and everything seemed to had worn off but now i seem to be getting tighter roots. I dont know if this is from the salon heat damage i experienced or from the last keratin treatment i did.:ohwell: i see the roots mainly in the front of my hair so im thinking this is from the salon but im really not too sure.

sincei am laying off the heat for now so i will monitor my hair closley.

hmm im starting to wonder if the qod organiq really wears off. I did 3 treatments and everything seemed to had worn off but now i seem to be getting tighter roots. I dont know if this is from the salon heat damage i experienced or from the last keratin treatment i did.:ohwell: i see the roots mainly in the front of my hair so im thinking this is from the salon but im really not too sure.

sincei am laying off the heat for now so i will monitor my hair closley.

Napp

I don't think it does. I would go about 5 months between treatments and I could always tell a difference between my hair treated with Organiq and my natural hair. I only did weekly rollersets then so I know the flatiron didn't do any straightening. I always did two passes at 410 degrees then rinsed immediately after I was finished oh and I would only process the new growth after 5 months.

I know Design Essentials isn't a keratin treatment or anything but I get the same benefits as a keratin treatment but my curl pattern is still 100% in tact. :yep:

Napp

I don't think it does. I would go about 5 months between treatments and I could always tell a difference between my hair treated with Organiq and my natural hair. I only did weekly rollersets then so I know the flatiron didn't do any straightening. I always did two passes at 410 degrees then rinsed immediately after I was finished oh and I would only process the new growth after 5 months.

I know Design Essentials isn't a keratin treatment or anything but I get the same benefits as a keratin treatment but my curl pattern is still 100% in tact. :yep:

I'm hoping it will wear off after some more time. The reason i bkt is to have the loosening effect and it is not permenent. I hope this is not the case with all cystine based treatments.

I had this same effect with the pravana perfection (pravana was actually worse) and my hair went back to normal after 3-4 months. I will just wait and see for now.

Its a little too early for me to jump on the DE treatment bandwagon lol but I think I will try the arosci intensive restructuring serum next since I have it on hand. I will do a test section first before I do it all over.

A minimum of 3 times seems to be the determining point in my hair. So when I go back to bkting I will wait 3 times after using a product before I give my final review.

I'm personally looking for a dependable treatment because I am getting sick of the product hopping.

If anyone was curious I did a few protein treatments and my hair seems like it I back to normal. I will still wait a bit before I do another treatment.

Reporting back after a week. I finally washed my hair today, 1 week post doing the QOD Max Organiq treatment without doing the final shampoo that day. I LOVE it! The modifications I made to the application don't seem to have had a negative effect at all. In fact my hair feels 100% stronger. Usually even after a protein treatment my hair is extremely delicate when wet, today it's strength almost mimicked my natural hair.

Definitely a hit!

I walked in the rain one my second day of my treatment. It was just drizzling rain like you barely noticed that it raining but realize your face is wet. It was weird...Looking at my ends I thought it was getting frizzy, but oddly my hair was moisturized. I got home and my hair was not perfectly straight but it was still straight ...like just plain straight but not sleek straight.

Just to update - I did the Organix Brazilian treatment on Friday night instead of using my Marcia Teixera Chocolate. I just was feeling lazy and didnt feel like being super precise, so I would rather have a messed up result with a $10 product I can get on the ground vs a messed up result with a $100 product I have to order online. :drunk: thats how I reason when Im tired LOL.

Anywho so the application goes:

-Cleanse hair with shampoo included in box. For super curly girls, do two washes.
-I detangled my hair in the shower, then wrapped a tshirt around my hair to absorb the water. You're supposed to get your hair 80% dry.
-Section hair
-Apply product in two inch sections while wearing gloves.
-Let product sit for 30 minutes while you surf LHCF lol
-Blow dry hair until its totally dry. It doesnt have to look perfect and its not going to look super sleek at this stage, but you just want it to be dry. My hair felt hella soft at this point tho.
-Flat iron in small sections. I used my Sedu Revolution on 375. The instructions say use 450 heat but I aint about that life right now lol.

I think I used too much product again smdh, its so hard to know how saturated my hair is with those stupid gloves on. Anywho, so since I think I used too much product my hair felt a bit coated and heavy. But it was very very soft, and just felt good overall. I went to sleep and sweat a little through the night. The next morning instead of flat ironing my roots, I just used the blow dryer in short blasts to smooth out any areas that had gotten puffy overnight. My hair felt much less coated and was more flowy. Last night I wrapped my hair instead of letting it be loose overnight. This morning - soft sleek hair. :yep: Im going to the beach tomorrow so I expect to get my hair wet and then wash/blowdry/flat iron to see the "true" results. I still have a lot of product left so I will be able to use it at least two more times.

Overall I like the product. There were virtually no fumes, it actually smells really good. It was straight forward, easy to use, super affordable and available. I didnt take before pictures because my hair was in a bun and I dont feel like pictures would even really show the difference before and after. I would take after pics but honestly, my hair just looks like it has a really good flat iron job. Ill probably take pics of my hair after the first wash, before and after I blowdry/flat iron.

From what I can tell so far, I think this is a good product if you want to get your feet wet in the BKT world without investing/committing so to speak. I cant really give a real review because I feel like the TRUE test is when I do the first wash. So Ill come back after that with my thoughts, and again when the 30 day period is up.

Just checking in... I'm about 3 weeks post on the Organix BKT. Overall again, it's just okay for MY taste.

Pros:
-If you're looking to retain curl/texture, this is definitely great for that
-Cheap and easy, my favorite :lol:
-Can be found on the ground
-Smells nice
-Gives nice moisturized smoothness
-Wears off in a month
-Possibly less damaging/thinning (I don't know if this is scientifically true lol but I will say that my hair feels MUCH thicker and I've had little to no breakage!)

Cons
-Only lasts a month
-I don't feel like I got quite the same smoothness as with the MT Chocolate. I did a blowdry/flat iron and it just looked like any other blowdry/flat iron I've done. Whereas with the MT Chocolate, my hair belonged on a magazine cover somewhere

I may give this another try and use less product (ya'll know Im heavy handed lol). Maybe use this to get through the summer, I'm not sure yet. I didn't DISLIKE it, but for what I look for from a BKT (smoothness/straightness, easy/fast to blowdry/airdry, longer lasting), it didn't *quite* give me that. But I definitely didn't hate it and wouldn't kick it out of bed. :lachen:

HTH!

Dove56 Forgive me if you've given this info, but where did you purchase yours and how long did it take to receive? I think I really may try this for my next treatment.

tapioca_pudding

I purchased from: http://www.lhboutique.com it took a little longer than I expected but someone else ordered from there and received their order much quicker. Whatever the case it is worth the wait to save money, control the outcome, and have humidity and workout resistant hair. :yep::yep: :)

Dove56 Im wondering if I actually want the Transitioning mousse, not the Elongation mousse. When reading the descriptions, the Elongation mousse is for people who want to stretch their curls, i.e., still wear wash n go's etc.

The Transitioning mousse is for people who want to wear straighter/smoother styles without reversion/swelling.

Now I'm confused. :drunk: lol

Dove56 Im wondering if I actually want the Transitioning mousse, not the Elongation mousse. When reading the descriptions, the Elongation mousse is for people who want to stretch their curls, i.e., still wear wash n go's etc.

The Transitioning mousse is for people who want to wear straighter/smoother styles without reversion/swelling.

Now I'm confused. :drunk: lol

tapioca_pudding

I haven't tried the Elongation mousse but I bet it's awesome. I can still wear wash-n-gos with the Transitioning mousse because my curl pattern is still intact.:yep:

Dove56 Gotcha!! Hmm..... I'm gonna hafta figure this one out lol. I received the product in the mail that Napp told me about to hopefully help restore some curl pattern; I plan to use it tonight. If it brings back some curl, I wonder how much curl the Transitioning mousse would take away. :drunk: Back to being confused LOL! I think Im just going to order the Transitioning mousse either way and see what happens. :yep:

Dove56 Gotcha!! Hmm..... I'm gonna hafta figure this one out lol. I received the product in the mail that Napp told me about to hopefully help restore some curl pattern; I plan to use it tonight. If it brings back some curl, I wonder how much curl the Transitioning mousse would take away. :drunk: Back to being confused LOL! I think Im just going to order the Transitioning mousse either way and see what happens. :yep:

It did not alter my curl at all. :) I usually get bone straight hair from keratin treatments (this isn't a keratin treatment but it similar) so this is a huge plus. :yep:

I still have my curl pattern after using the transitioning mousse from DE. It's slightly looser but intact. And my wash n gos aren't very frizzy like they used to be. I wore my hair straight and it didn't swell up even after getting caught in a brief rain shower. when I wrapped it that night it smoothed back out. Shedding is minimal and detangling much easier. I like it so far, think it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Does anyone apply the DE/blow dry/flatiron one day and continue the 2nd wash/blow dry/flatiron on the next day? I haven't applied it yet because I haven't had enough time to do it all...not to mention I kinda don't want to do it all on the same day.

Any updates ladies??

I would love to know how the Keratin treatment is holding up on the ladies who are transitioning...I'm transitioning but the two different textures is driving me up a wall.....

Back