Keratin Treatment Support Thread

My bf helped me with my BKT on Saturday. DC's with Silicon Mix Bambu for a day, then shampoo'd with the MT Chocolate Pre-Shampoo. Applied the MT Chocolate to 90% air dried hair, then did the blowdry. My bf helped me with the flat iron, used my Sedu Revolution on 400 degrees. Added a little heat protectant before I flat ironed (I couldn't find my dang MT serum so I used something else). Planning to let it marinate until tomorrow then will wash, dc and rollerset. As always, I will report back my results after the first wash, but I've used the MT chocolate before with great results.

When I'm all done with the MT I will likely invest in the DE mousse to see what all the hype is about :lachen:

Hi! I'm very new so please forgive any social disgraces!:blush:

I have just learned of a new DIY keratin treatment called Uncurly. So far I have only seen 1 yt video about it. It was also featured on the Today show. One of the hostesses (the one of a darker complexion of the morning female duo) was testifying and praising this particular keratin treatment and I believe that her hair is sort of fro-y. I don't think it's kinky exactly but it's definitely fro-y.
Here's the link!
http://www.uncurly.com/Home.php#hodavideo

and here is the lone yt video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qA_O2Vs-U

what say you ladies? willing to try? tried already? I'd love to hear back :)

im looking for someone who would be interested in splitting bottles of keratin treatments. There are so many i want to try but i don't want to commit to a liter by myself.

Is there anyone interested in splitting bottles? i know its a reach but i am just putting it out there:look:

@Napp hmm... liters cost what, $200? How many people are you hoping to get in on this?

as many as are interested but even one or two would be great.

i only use an oz or so per treatment and only keratin treat every 2-3 months. so i just cant justify spending $200 knowing i cant use it all before it expires. maybe if i had really long hair or found the right bkt for me would i drop that much cash on a liter.

there is always the option to buy a liter and sell samples but i dont know how many people would buy sample sizes.

I'm not quite as thrilled with my MT Chocolate results this go round. (Again, I think some of that is application error.) When it's time for my next treatment I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order the Design Essentials just to try it out.

Napp I still think a liter bottle is a lot between two people, but if people are willing to split smaller sizes just for trial purposes, I'd be interested.

I ordered an 8oz bottle of the MT Chocolate. After two applications I'm still not halfway through the bottle yet (almost though).

I'm not quite as thrilled with my MT Chocolate results this go round. (Again, I think some of that is application error.) When it's time for my next treatment I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order the Design Essentials just to try it out.

Napp I still think a liter bottle is a lot between two people, but if people are willing to split smaller sizes just for trial purposes, I'd be interested.

I ordered an 8oz bottle of the MT Chocolate. After two applications I'm still not halfway through the bottle yet (almost though).

I think I will just order the 8oz Inoar kit. I found it for a good price.

Napp, Where did you order the 8oz bottle from??

Last edited:
Finished the Design Essentials treatment.. here are my findings-

- I feel like its a lot of heat and a lot of manipulation all at once. I also need to find a clarifying shampoo that doesnt strip my hair quite as much, because trying to detangle freshly clarified hair cost me a TON of broken hairs. Im still traumatized LOL.

-Im not sure if you can split the steps up as in, do the first blowdry and flat iron one day then do the second blowdry and flat iron another day to give the hair a rest. I may try it the second go round.

-I didnt like how my hair felt after I flat ironed with the product in it at ALL. BUT as soon as I rinsed it my hair felt amazing.. then did the shampoo and deep condition and man. My ish was mad silky and strong lol.

-I got super duper lazy for the second blowdry and flat iron, but the blowdry was a breeze and really so was the flat iron. I didnt do a great job and still got smooth silky results. I need to dust my ends after all that trauma but so far I LOVE the results.

I cant say anything about the reversion factor yet, but Ill be working out sometime this week so I will get to check it out then.

I give the overall process a B-, just because of all the manipulation and trauma lol. But maybe I need to try the DE shampoo that they suggest instead of my MT chocolate pre shampoo, cuz that ish is something serious.

HTH! Ill update after I workout and after a few weeks.

Update - it did lighten my hair. I previously had lightened hair then I put a dark brown over it because I was tired of it. After doing the treatment yesterday, my hair is maybe two shades lighter than it was before. Bah.

Ok so I'm coming up in here blind without doing the proper research -- please forgive me. My friend is relaxed and her stylist keeps encouraging her to get a relaxer and a keratin treatment on the same day. Logic? The keratin treatment strengthens the hair. The price for this treatment is $175 additional dollars to the already $105 relaxer price. In short, my friend wants to know:

-is a keratin treatment safe to use with a relaxer
-how does it differ from regular protein treatment

im looking for someone who would be interested in splitting bottles of keratin treatments. There are so many i want to try but i don't want to commit to a liter by myself. Is there anyone interested in splitting bottles? i know its a reach but i am just putting it out there:look:

Napp
Does the DE come in liter bottles? Im interested in trying that one. I wonder if the silkening spray or the transitioning mousse is right for me. I would also be interested in buying a sample of any formaldehyde free treatment. A sample is one full application, right?

Also, I am half texturized and half bone straight (currently transitioning to texturized) with fine, high porosity SL hair.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Hi Ladies.

I just wanted to add that I have been doing the QOD Organiq Keratin treatments on my kids for 2 years now and their hair has thrived. One daughter is about 2B/C with tailbone length hair (see my siggy) and the other is 3B/C with hip length hair.

They have zero heat damage and their hair reverts back every time, mainly because I am very conservative with the heat.

I buy the liter and apply every 3-4 months as it wears off.

biancaelyse Your daughters hair looks really pretty & healthy..Good job...When the treatment where's off,does it begin to break? Looking for something outside of a perm for my Mom..Thanks.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Ok so I'm coming up in here blind without doing the proper research -- please forgive me. My friend is relaxed and her stylist keeps encouraging her to get a relaxer and a keratin treatment on the same day. Logic? The keratin treatment strengthens the hair. The price for this treatment is $175 additional dollars to the already $105 relaxer price. In short, my friend wants to know:

-is a keratin treatment safe to use with a relaxer
-how does it differ from regular protein treatment

divachyk
is it safe to use a keratin treatment with a relaxer?

yes it is the two processes are compatible.

how do they differ?

a keratin treatment is mainly used to get straighter and silkier hair. it acts differently from a relaxer though and is supposedly supposed to strengthen the hair as well. i find that if you are using the high heat as per directions (which usually happens in salons) it will have a negative effect on the hair in the long term. plus a relaxer and a keratin treatment sounds kind of redundant although there are a few people here who do both. it should be one or the other imo. it would be more effective to get a protien treatment if she is just looking for something to strengthen the hair.

Napp
Does the DE come in liter bottles? Im interested in trying that one. I wonder if the silkening spray or the transitioning mousse is right for me. I would also be interested in buying a sample of any formaldehyde free treatment. A sample is one full application, right?

Also, I am half texturized and half bone straight (currently transitioning to texturized) with fine, high porosity SL hair.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

mshoneyfly DE does not come in a liter bottle. it comes in a 6 or 8 oz? container. i think you will have to be wary about keratin treatments since keratin treatments are slightly more permanently straightening on relaxed hair than on natural hair. depending on the length of hair an single application should be about 2oz of product.

Another small update - this thing feels like a relaxer lol. My hair is SO straight. I'm looking forward to cowashing to get some volume; I think it's from adding coconut oil and wrapping my hair last night, but my roots/edges are solidly straight.

Back