Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I just rinsed out my latest BKT yesterday. I used Marcia Teixeira Chocolate since I ran out of the Advanced, and I left it in for a full week. Perfect results, as usual. :yep:

I don't think anyone else on this forum was using Marcia Teixeira, which is so odd! I've been using it since the beginning, and never had anything but great results with it. :yep:

My last BKT was with MT Chocolate, in February 2010. I won it in the contest that DontSpeakDefeat held. I just ordered the QOD Organiq. I hope to receive by/on Saturday. I am excited. I think my hair is too fine for BKT with formaldehydes. The excess heat need to get the proper results caused some heat damage for me. I just received my new Chi titanium iron. I hope that I can achieve nice results.

I have been BKTing since Nov. 2011. Currenlty I do a treatment with GB 4% every 4 weeks. I wash my hair every weekend w/ sulfate free poo and co wash mid week. I love the way my natural 4b hair looks after the treatment. But once I start week 3, the soft curls and coils are almost gone. Has anyone have this difficulty? I was considering about uping my treatments to 2x a month but I'm afraid of heat damage. Tell me what you think.
Cruzankink You can try Marcia Teixeira Chocolate. It's made for kinky hair, and gives great results that are long-lasting.

Compared to MT Advanced (which is just the quick-wash version of the regular formula MT), Chocolate is much easier to apply on kinky hair. The product is easier to comb through during/after the blow dry, and it flat irons very smooth, silky, and shiny. Leaving it in for 4 days is no problem, because the hair looks and feels so nice...as opposed to the Advanced treatment, which can leave the hair stiff, coated, and dull.

I would not BKT twice a month. Once a month is already a lot, since the stronger formaldehyde treatments are supposed to last for 3 months anyways...this is probably why you're seeing heat damage. Maybe just consider switching to a more conditioning formula like MT Chocolate.

ladies I have a few questions:

1. Do you put anything on your hair during the 3-4 day waiting period? do you do anything to your hair at all during that period?

2. What deep conditioners are you using, and do you use protein and moisturizing deep conditioners?
LoveisYou I have learned that the waiting period is not all that serious. Although I usually use a same-day rinse formula, I always leave it in for a couple days, and I do whatever I want with my hair during this period. :yep: They say you're not supposed to clip or tie your hair, but it makes no difference if you do, LOL.

I use a variety of products in my hair, simply avoiding sulfates and salt. I was cone-free as a natural, but my BKT'd hair likes cones, so I use them sometimes. BKT'd hair also likes protein, so I always include some form of protein when I wash - either in my DC, or I use CHI Keratin Mist or Mane n tail leave-in afterwards. BKT hair also doesn't need a whole lot of deep conditioning...you can sit under the steamer for an hour if you like, but it's really not necessary. I think that excess conditioning actually wears off the BKT more quickly.

My last BKT was with MT Chocolate, in February 2010. I won it in the contest that DontSpeakDefeat held. I just ordered the QOD Organiq. I hope to receive by/on Saturday. I am excited. I think my hair is too fine for BKT with formaldehydes. The excess heat need to get the proper results caused some heat damage for me. I just received my new Chi titanium iron. I hope that I can achieve nice results.

use the MT serum...i noticed a big difference using it.

You will love QOD Organiq! I just ordered the Keratin shot last night. You know I finally used the product you sent me and it was fabulous!! Thank you so much again, you are a sweetheart! :)

What Kertain product do you recommend for on using children's hair? I am visiting my brother in the UK next month who is raising his bi-racial daughter, she is 11, and has mane butt length hair, and what sort of after care for an active teen?
Also, I'm want to order MT Chocolate or QOD Organiq shot for myself, what's the best place to order from? I've been using store bought Kertain with so-so results

Last edited:
use the MT serum...i noticed a big difference using it.
@BlackHairDiva What is this wonderful serum you speak of? And where might get me some? :look: Off to GOOGLE :yep:

You will love QOD Organiq! I just ordered the Keratin shot last night. You know I finally used the product you sent me and it was fabulous!! Thank you so much again, you are a sweetheart! :)

@Dove56 I love your avi :yep: I am glad the CD Chocolat worked for you. Did you like the shampoo and condish? I didn't :nono: And thanks for the compliment :kiss: It takes one to know one :yep:

ETA: What is the keratin shot used for?

What Kertain product do you recommend for on using children's hair? I am visiting my brother in the UK next month who is raising his bi-racial daughter, she is 11, and has mane butt length hair, and what sort of after care for an active teen?
Also, I'm want to order MT Chocolate or QOD Organiq shot for myself, what's the best place to order from? I've been using store bought Kertain with so-so results

@Kiowa I ordered my QOD Organiq from Amazon. It was $45.00 plus free S/H. It is from a place called keratin4u. They have a website of the same name. I know that @Biancaeyes ordered from the website, as she stated in the thread she started. She used on her daugther's hip length mane, with beautiful results. When I went to order from the website, it would not let me :nono: I ordered from Amazon on last Friday 5-21. It shipped on 5-22, and I received on 5-25. HTH

Last edited:
@BlackHairDiva What is this wonderful serum you speak of? And where might get me some? :look: Off to GOOGLE :yep:

@Dove56 I love your avi :yep: I am glad the CD Chocolat worked for you. Did you like the shampoo and condish? I didn't :nono: And thanks for the compliment :kiss: It takes one to know one :yep:

ETA: What is the keratin shot used for?

@Kiowa I ordered my QOD Organiq from Amazon. It was $45.00 plus free S/H. It is from a place called keratin4u. They have a website of the same name. I know that @Biancaeyes ordered from the website, as she stated in the thread she started. She used on her daugther's hip length mane, with beautiful results. When I went to order from the website, it would not let me :nono: I ordered from Amazon on last Friday 5-21. It shipped on 5-22, and I received on 5-25. HTH

Thank you. :) The shampoo and conditioner were okay but the actual cream was great for rollersetting. :yep: The Keratin Shot is the little mini container (I do mean mini lol) of the QOD Max Organiq. :) I think you will love this. My only tip is to make sure apply it very lightly and blot it before you blow dry otherwise it will get very hard and crunchy (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) and make blowdrying and flatironing ver difficult.

Dove56 Is this what you are talking about:

31ueon5jvGL._SY100_.jpg

This is what I bought from Amazon. I was told that you can stretch this with some milk. So I actually though about stretching it with some coconut milk. IDK.

Dove56 Is this what you are talking about:

31ueon5jvGL._SY100_.jpg

This is what I bought from Amazon. I was told that you can stretch this with some milk. So I actually though about stretching it with some coconut milk. IDK.

Yep, that's it. :yep: Well, the good thing is it is very concentrated and you don't need alot at all! I didn't know you could stretch with milk though!

I'm in the UK too and would also love to know of any salons that offer BKT or Brazilian Blowout that have experience working with Afro hair.

Hi all, I just got the treatment done today. I have a couple of questions. What should I do for sleeping? I'll also be be flying tomorrow, should I take my satin scarf? Hours later my hair is a frizz ball, this is ok with me because my hair defies anything used to straiten it, but any advice?
I have some photos, but will need help on how to post. Thanks in advance.

aminata just wrap your hair either traditionally or do a cross wrap and cove with a satin scarf. What kind of treatment did you use and did you get it done at a salon? I'm actually surprised if frizzed up on you so quickly.

to attach a picture you can use the manage attachments button when you go to make a post.

aminata just wrap your hair either traditionally or do a cross wrap and cove with a satin scarf. What kind of treatment did you use and did you get it done at a salon? I'm actually surprised if frizzed up on you so quickly.

to attach a picture you can use the manage attachments button when you go to make a post.

Thanks Napp. I am a bit embarrassed as I don't know the brand. I'm in Bolivia for a wedding, and I decided to get it done. I don't speak Spanish, so I went with the flow. That said even when I relaxed, hair would frizz up.

Let me work on the attachments.

Thanks Napp. I am a bit embarrassed as I don't know the brand. I'm in Bolivia for a wedding, and I decided to get it done. I don't speak Spanish, so I went with the flow. That said even when I relaxed, hair would frizz up.

Let me work on the attachments.

Oh wow! It may be because of the weather. The best part is when you wash it out anyway!

I should have taken a pic this morning. It was frizz city. I did use the flat iron, low heat, but at least it looks presentable (in my opinion).
No time to wash, but against the advice, I will put in a bun. Does. Anyone know why this is discouraged? Rollers, ponytails, etc.

Thanks Napp for your advice.

its discouraged because putting a bend in your hair is supposed to mess up the results. i have never seen a difference and tend to wear my hair curled or in a bun when I have a keratin treatment.

Thanks. I figured since my hair went to frizz, it won't make a difference whether i have it in a pony/bun or not. Hair feels ok, but I won't be able to do anything to it for a couple days while I'm traveling.
Overall, no regrets.

I am very new to the Keratin world so I finally got my first treatment at salon last week. The hair stylist used La Textura (which I don't think anyone has mentioned using yet). I've done a few searches and can't find any good reviews on it either. Has anyone used La Textura? The salon charged around $80 for the treatment. After she squirted the foam on each section of hair she blow dried it and flat ironed it. And that was it. She didn't wash it again like I thought she would have to. But she also said that I didn't have to wait 3 days to wash it again if I wanted. I asked her about tying or pinning my hair back and the stylist said it would be fine with La Textura. So with all the things I had previously heard about BKT's I was a little confused and wasn't even sure if she had REALLY given me a BKT. However, I can honestly say that when she was done my hair was super soft and shiny. I'm just worried that it wont look like this after I wash it a couple of times. I did read some where that there are 1 day and 3 day treatments. Does anyone know the difference? I want something that will last and that is simple enough to do at home. I plan to use Eqyss shampoos and conditioners for maintenance. Any thoughts?

Back