Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I have some QOD Gold if anyone wants to try it out. I am selling small quantities for sampling before you spend the cash for the liter:). I stopped using it because I got lazy :/ and as my hair grew it became too much work.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

AtlantaJJ, you're more than welcome. If I ever was to BKT again I would definitley use Global. Stick to what's best for your hair, don't risk it with another brand. I say this because I had to BC my hair this past December for switching brands.

I have a Kerapremium BKT 4 step kit that I have not used yet. It came with argan oil and heat protector too (6 bottles). I may sell it though since I do still prefer Rejuvenol BKT.

This is excellent advise. Use a lower temp, give the flat iron time to recover it's temp to 375. :yep:

What brand are you using?

AtlantaJJ is your hair very fine?

I would say start with a formeldahyde free brand or one with minimal formeldahyde (0.02%) like QOD Max (I still have some of this if you want me to send you some for free). I actually stopped using QOD Max because it gets my hair bone straight so I use QOD Max Organiq now instead (no formeldahyde - cystine based) so I can keep my curl as well. I say work up to the 4% treatments, you might not need that much formeldahyde.

AtlantaJJ is your hair very fine?

I would say start with a formeldahyde free brand or one with minimal formeldahyde (0.02%) like QOD Max (I still have some of this if you want me to send you some for free). I actually stopped using QOD Max because it gets my hair bone straight so I use QOD Max Organiq now instead (no formeldahyde - cystine based) so I can keep my curl as well. I say work up to the 4% treatments, you might not need that much formeldahyde.

Dove56 Thanks Dove! I like that idea of easing into the BKT pool. My hair is fine, I don't want bone straight hair but I'm thinking that QOD Max won't get me there because I have a lot of shrinkage in my hair.

@AtlantaJJ is your hair very fine?

I recently tried the treatment -- although I used Organix 30 day treatment because I heard it was better for your hair especially since I have fine hair -- and I don't really notice a difference.... My hair feels less dense [which is really good, I honestly wish my hair was only half as thick as it is] but it really didn't loosen any of the curl except a little in the front where my curl pattern was naturally looser anyway so that might just be heat damage.
should I just do the treatment again? with the same brand? after 30 days.. or should I try a different brand?
or is it that my hair is just really resistant and I should leave it alone?

BIGGEST QUESTION -- what products are y'all using? all my shampoos and some of my conditioners have sulfate/sodium/chloride which is advised NOT to use... what are the best (preferably drugstore) products y'all would recommend?

here was what my hair/process looked like http://livewonderfully.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-very-first-bkt-experience.html

I recently tried the treatment -- although I used Organix 30 day treatment because I heard it was better for your hair especially since I have fine hair -- and I don't really notice a difference.... My hair feels less dense [which is really good, I honestly wish my hair was only half as thick as it is] but it really didn't loosen any of the curl except a little in the front where my curl pattern was naturally looser anyway so that might just be heat damage.
should I just do the treatment again? with the same brand? after 30 days.. or should I try a different brand?

BIGGEST QUESTION -- what products are y'all using? all my shampoos and some of my conditioners have sulfate/sodium/chloride which is advised NOT to use... what are the best (preferably drugstore) products y'all would recommend?

here was what my hair/process looked like http://livewonderfully.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-very-first-bkt-experience.html

LovelyBwonderful

Your hair is very pretty, it's looks very healthy and you have a TON of it! :)

Organix is a pretty "weak" treatment; I've used this many times and I like it. I've used it to keep my curls but minimize frizz and eliminate reversion in humidity. If you want more loosening or dramatic results I think QOD Max is a good treatment. Marcia Textera will also give you straighter hair.

My products:

Shampoo - Deva Chan low poo, L'oreal Ever Pure no sulfate Shampoo, Keracare no sulfate shampoo, Shea Moisture No Sulfate Shampoo. I rotate all of these. :)

Conditioner: Macadamia Nut Mask, Clariol Hello Hydration (co-wash), Aussie Moist (co-wash), Silk Elements Kera-Minerals Conditioner, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link to your Keratin treatment process! I enjoyed your comments :lol: I was like :thud: when you said you cranked it up to 450! I won't be doing that again! I'm stick at 375 because my fine hair is not having any of that!

I needed a change and did the nunaat keratin treatment. I used rejunvenol the last tine with no change (an expensive bummer). I didn't do it again and I wasn't going back to the salon because with my hair length it was going to be $300 to 400.

The treatment was easy to do, I didn't follow the instructions exactly. You get alot of it and it is really liquid and easy to apply. The results was nearly straight hair after the rewash. (this is normal for me, it curls up after a week or two).

I didn't straighten it again, I'm doing a braid out.

If it even stays for 3 weeks it is worth it for the price (on sale for 20 dollars at Walgreens)

This is a great thread. I just ordered teh KeraPremium original BKT system off ebay. I am natural and color-treated. Summer is my fast grow season but it's also when my hair is super dry because I wng every 2 days.

I just want more manageability and less frizz -- less shrinkage would be icing on the cake. My hair is fine and can break easily but it's also very resistant to relaxers, japanese straightening systems, etc. let's see how this works for me.

Thanks for all the info!

I'm soooooooooooo happy to see some new life on this thread! Update since I last post: I did the BC on 04/05/12 at 6 months post. The freedon of not dealing with 2 textures is priceless. I have used BKT, specifically Global Keratin 4%, for managability in my transition and will continue to BKT as a natural. I'm addicted to the lil coils and small curls that my 4b hair transforms to. Other BKT that I've tried are KeraCure [do NOT use], QOD Max, Brazilian Blowout Original and GB 4%. I like GB 4% but I wish that my hair maintained the level of curls/coils that it does before the first wash. I'm tempted to BKT my hair more than the once a month regimen I'm currenlty on to achieve these results (I feel like an addict chasing my first high) but I'm deathly afraid of heat damage.

ANSWERS TO RANDOM INQUIRIES:

PRODUCTS: Products that I've used to maintain my BKTed hair have already been mentioned on this thread like Loreal Ever Pure/Cream Sulphate Free product line. These products work well, smell great and are relatively inexpensive but since I'm currently on a no silicone diet, I'm using The Bath Shop Rainforest Moisture product line - it contains no sulphates, silicones, parabens, or colorants. They seem to do a great job too.

HEAT: Somewhere on this threat there's a post explaining why most BKT companies recommend that hair be flatironed at 450 degrees. (I believe the person who post it got it from the Izunami website a while back.) Anyway, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT flat iron hair at 450 degrees! I'm no expert but from my personal experience I wouldn't flat iron hair more than 400degrees because you're setting your hair up for heat damage. My first BKT, I use 450 and my relaxed hair felt like straw and broke off like it too - lesson learned. I use between 350 and 380 when I do my BKTs.

This is a great thread. I just ordered teh KeraPremium original BKT system off ebay. I am natural and color-treated. Summer is my fast grow season but it's also when my hair is super dry because I wng every 2 days.

I just want more manageability and less frizz -- less shrinkage would be icing on the cake. My hair is fine and can break easily but it's also very resistant to relaxers, japanese straightening systems, etc. let's see how this works for me.

Thanks for all the info!

You will love it. :yep:

I washed my hair last night first time since the last BKT. My hair was still straight, expect the back (I kinda missed some spots). When My hair was wet it felt kinda rough and heavy (which was different from before) but dried straight and soft. Not breakage or chewed up ends (which I was afriad of). Thisi s going to be my product from now on. YEA!

I used the Nunaat Keratin treatment (available at Walgreens) in March for the first time. I'm transitioning back to natural and it made my hair somewhat less bulky, but not extremely straight. Also softened up new growth somewhat. To keep the results (softer new growth that is easily to style/straighten) you have to use the maintenance products.

I used my Shea Moisture when I washed my hair last week and my new growth curled up a lot, this week I used the Shea Moisture shampoo, but made sure to
use the Nunaat Keratin Hair Conditioning Mask and my new growth is much looser again, SUPER soft and was easy to flatiron yesterday. Today, my new growth is still really soft and smooth.

Guess, I'll have to use the Nunaat products when I want to wear my hair in straight styles...

Hey ladies,

Which treatment would you recommend for a 4a who's trying to transition? I want a treatment that will not fully straighten my natural hair and will revert. Also, would I be able to use my DC (ORS) and co-washing conditioners with this on my head? I read biancaelyse's on the QOD OrganiQ and another thread on Organix BKT I'm thinking about trying it, but I'm wondering if any 4a's had luck with either. TIA!

Last edited:
Hey ladies,

Which treatment would you recommend for a 4a who's trying to transition? I want a treatment that will not fully straighten my natural hair and will revert. Also, would I be able to use my DC (ORS) and co-washing conditioners with this on my head? I read biancaelyse's on the QOD OrganiQ and another thread on Organix BKT I'm thinking about trying it, but I'm wondering if any 4a's had luck with either. TIA!

First what are the result you're trying to achieve? I'm 4b and when I transitioned I wanted a treatment to minimize shedding and get a looser curl pattern. I started with low folmaldehyde treatments like QOD Organiq Max. Its pretty good but it did not give me the more lasting results of a stronger formula like Global Keratin 4%. I definately know that the kinkier the hair is the stronger the treatment needs to be to achieve desired results like looser curl pattern. Amazon has a sample size of QOD Organiq Max for $45 and there are members here that sell samples if you're intersted. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

I did my BKT tonight. Right now I don't like the "coating" on my hair -- it feels like I have too much hair spray on -- and my hair has thickened up like it's on steroids! I didn't realize my hair would be coated because my fine strands don't deal well with a lot of product. I get breakage

The smell of the product was hard to handle. The chocolate fragrance became nauseating once I got into flat ironing my hair.

I'll see what happens on Monday when I cowash my hair and will keep y'all posted.

I have been BKTing since Nov. 2011. Currenlty I do a treatment with GB 4% every 4 weeks. I wash my hair every weekend w/ sulfate free poo and co wash mid week. I love the way my natural 4b hair looks after the treatment. But once I start week 3, the soft curls and coils are almost gone. Has anyone have this difficulty? I was considering about uping my treatments to 2x a month but I'm afraid of heat damage. Tell me what you think.

Ladies, I appreciate all of your responses. If I do the BKT, I will use Global, for my 4B hair. It's thick and I want straighter hair without texlaxing. So we'll see if I'm brave enough to take the plunge.

I'm at week 12 of stretching and I'm liking the thickness of my hair and wondering why I would ever want to texlax. I need to do something just not sure what.

NEW QUESTION: If I BKT and go back to Texlaxing...will that cause breakage?

Thank you!

Ladies, I appreciate all of your responses. If I do the BKT, I will use Global, for my 4B hair. It's thick and I want straighter hair without texlaxing. So we'll see if I'm brave enough to take the plunge.

I'm at week 12 of stretching and I'm liking the thickness of my hair and wondering why I would ever want to texlax. I need to do something just not sure what.

NEW QUESTION: If I BKT and go back to Texlaxing...will that cause breakage?

Thank you!
Technically no. BKT is a protein that only coats the hair without chemically breaking the bond unlike texlaxing/relaxing. Generally, the risk of damage while BKT comes with heat damage due to the often recommended high heat of flat ironing.

I have a question for you: We both have the same hair type (4b) and you decided to go with the same BKT that I used. Can you tell me how long your BKT lasts when you get it done w/ Global? Thanx.

ladies I have a few questions:

1. Do you put anything on your hair during the 3-4 day waiting period? do you do anything to your hair at all during that period?

2. What deep conditioners are you using, and do you use protein and moisturizing deep conditioners?

UPDATE:
I ended up not washing my hair on Mon; instead I did a DC and co-wash today. I used AOHSR as my DC -- left it in for 4-6 hours -- rinsed it out and followed it with Joico K-pak.

As my hair dried, it's not straight (not even close!) but the curls are relaxed waves and there's minimal frizz.

What I'm happiest with is I had very little breakage/shedding when I washed and it feels soft and moisturized.

Technically no. BKT is a protein that only coats the hair without chemically breaking the bond unlike texlaxing/relaxing. Generally, the risk of damage while BKT comes with heat damage due to the often recommended high heat of flat ironing.

I have a question for you: We both have the same hair type (4b) and you decided to go with the same BKT that I used. Can you tell me how long your BKT lasts when you get it done w/ Global? Thanx.

I'm now at week 15 of my stretch and it looks like I'm not going to do the BKT. I may just texlax in a few weeks and stick to texlaxing once a year. I have healthy, longish hair and I am afraid to rock the boat.

Cruzankink If you use Global Keratin would you let me know how it turns out? I would appreciate it and maybe I'll give it a try if I hear of a few more 4b's that love the results.

I've been BKT'' ing my hair for almost 2 years. I starting with QOD Gold 4% and it didnt work well with me. My hair was straight but not for long and , it looked nice. But it was not retaining moisture and my hair would revert quickly. So I switched to MT chocolate. You might want to look close at what you are using.

I have been BKTing since Nov. 2011. Currenlty I do a treatment with GB 4% every 4 weeks. I wash my hair every weekend w/ sulfate free poo and co wash mid week. I love the way my natural 4b hair looks after the treatment. But once I start week 3, the soft curls and coils are almost gone. Has anyone have this difficulty? I was considering about uping my treatments to 2x a month but I'm afraid of heat damage. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Back