Keratin Treatment Support Thread

http://www.verticalsinhair.com/index.php?option=com_joobb&view=topic&topic=3544&Itemid=0

by Steve Tcherkezian on Sunday, 27.May 2007 03:57 PM

HI db,

What do I think is going to be the biggest problem with BKT? Damage to the hair follicle by stylists who think BKT is easy. Some BKT stylists think that BKT is easy and just because a stylist or a salon is listed as a BKT salon does necessarily mean they understand how to do a BKT. BKT requires a master ironing stylist with lots and lots of experience and skill, and if not, they are going to cause severe damage to the hair follicle and the hair itself too. Keep in mind, BKT is not a joke to toy with.

It seems to me that your BKT stylist ironed the scalp area by using the big iron that goes up to 450 degree Fahrenheit, where in fact he or she should have used the small half inch iron with comb-like pins attached to it that goes up to 392 degrees Fahrenheit on the scalp area, and then use the 450F on the rest of head of hair. But not only that! The previously TRd sections of your hair should have received less heat and hence, ironed a bit less than the new-growth sections.

The hairs you are referring about that are sticking out are the new growth and it is normal, so I understand some of the hairs to stick out for the first week after a BKT. However, those wavy little hairs that you are referring about is caused due to too much heat near the scalp area and obviously the stylist did not comb and pull the hair straight from the roots so it looks like he created permanent bends, which you are referring to as “wave”.

I think the majorities of stylists are just going to watch the video and iron the entire head of hair as in the video instructions “without” taking into consideration that some sections of hair needs to be ironed a bit differently than the rest. Lets face it, Picasso could do more with 3 broken crayons than the average man could with a palate of the finest paint.

Ultimately, in BKT the ironing skill prevails above ALL! BKT Stylists will give BKT advice and say what they want to say and people will make judgment on hear and say. My advice for people who want to get the BKT is to LOOK for a stylist who is most skillful and most experience in ironing. So I agree with you, I think you are right. Likewise I think the ironing was done by a stylist that has no ironing skills and no sense of creativity whatsover, so he made it respond to his poor imagination. Unfortunately you suffer the consequences. I admire and respect sylists that say "this is not what I specialize at" and send their clients elsewhere to a professional that understands how to do it.

The results of your TR and your BKT could have been satisfactory, so I don’t believe it is a matter of luck. You can change your luck, but you’ve got to stop doing things on your hair on impulse. BKT is not something you do while you are on vacation! You just need to find the right stylist. That’s all.

Do the following tests on your hair and let me know the results. Make sure your hair had not been shampooed for at least 10-12 hours before running these two tests.

http://www.verticalsinhair.com/elasticity.shtml

http://www.verticalsinhair.com/structural.shtml

By the way, I did the first BKT on my wife’s hair on April 30th, 2007. I’ll be doing my second BKT on a model tomorrow. I have already tested her hair, so I’ll report back within 10-14 days. I will also post her before and after BKT pictures. I’ll provide a link.

Last edited:
I have a question for any relaxed heads that are using BKT...when I wash my hair, it becomes kind of curly/wavy (think 3a/3bish). I've always wanted to be able to just put some leave in conditioner and moisturizer in it, and wear it curly, but no matter what i put in it, it always becomes poufy and frizzy. I was wondering 1) what does your curl pattern look like when wet with the BKT treatment and 2)if you are able to keep the curl/wave in your hair without it becoming frizzy by using products. Basically are you able to do a wash and go? or is it TOO straight for that?

Hello Ladies,

I just recebtly had a BKT and I have to say that I am in love ! My stylist used the Fabulous brand and it is wonderful. I am relaxed. like most of you the softness and shine is wonderful. What I have noticed is that my hair seems to be much more mosturized, I don't need to moisturize and seal twice daily like I used to. Anyway, I have 3 questions:

1. Since you have BKted, have you changed your regimen ? ( frequency of wash, deep conditioning, pre-pooing)

2. Can one have moisture overload as a result of BKT ? I am very satisfied with my curretn regimen and feel that it has helped me achieve great progress. For instance pre-pooing with Amla oil every week has ontributed to great growth and I was wondering if I cqa continue despite the fact tha my hair feel moist with the BKT, I would not want to get moisture overload or something

3. I usually use Emergency every 2 weeks with no fail ( in addition to Aphogee 2 mn twice weekly before deep conditioning). Can I still use it ? Has someone have experience to share with the use of weekly light protein ( i.e. Aphogee 2 mn) and the use of Emergency ?

Hello Ladies,

I just recebtly had a BKT and I have to say that I am in love ! My stylist used the Fabulous brand and it is wonderful. I am relaxed. like most of you the softness and shine is wonderful. What I have noticed is that my hair seems to be much more mosturized, I don't need to moisturize and seal twice daily like I used to. Anyway, I have 3 questions:

1. Since you have BKted, have you changed your regimen ? ( frequency of wash, deep conditioning, pre-pooing)

2. Can one have moisture overload as a result of BKT ? I am very satisfied with my curretn regimen and feel that it has helped me achieve great progress. For instance pre-pooing with Amla oil every week has ontributed to great growth and I was wondering if I cqa continue despite the fact tha my hair feel moist with the BKT, I would not want to get moisture overload or something

3. I usually use Emergency every 2 weeks with no fail ( in addition to Aphogee 2 mn twice weekly before deep conditioning). Can I still use it ? Has someone have experience to share with the use of weekly light protein ( i.e. Aphogee 2 mn) and the use of Emergency ?

I press the submit button too quickly. Sorry if these questions have already been posted and answered, I went through the whole 200 pages trhread, but do not recall having read something on Emrgency, and mosture overload.

I have a question for any relaxed heads that are using BKT...when I wash my hair, it becomes kind of curly/wavy (think 3a/3bish). I've always wanted to be able to just put some leave in conditioner and moisturizer in it, and wear it curly, but no matter what i put in it, it always becomes poufy and frizzy. I was wondering 1) what does your curl pattern look like when wet with the BKT treatment and 2)if you are able to keep the curl/wave in your hair without it becoming frizzy by using products. Basically are you able to do a wash and go? or is it TOO straight for that?

BKT leads to frizziness for me when my hair is in it's natural state-even now that it's been 6 months since my last BKT-so I won't be getting another one

I like Reniece but seriously I think the warnings are a bit extra. Maybe they should have done more research on the product line they used. I've used Global for over two years and never experienced any of these extreme reactions.

People need to understand when you use a product you should do your research just like searching for the right line of conditioner, shampoo, leave-in, relaxer etc as we all know all products are not created e
qual.

Other update: I relaxed because I got tired of dealing with my hair I used Phyto 1 since I couldn't find Design Essentials anywhere. I like the way my hair is. I intend to BKT every 3 months and relax every 3 months (so a straightening treatment every 6 weeks). I cut/trim about 4inches after I relax my ends looked too thin so I hope to be between APL-BSL by year's end...

BKT leads to frizziness for me when my hair is in it's natural state-even now that it's been 6 months since my last BKT-so I won't be getting another one

I had a BKT(at a salon) in november, my hair looks like hot garbage now! I don't know what to do about it? It is so frizzy when I pull it back into a bun thousands of little strands are sticking up. I have affirm 5n1 trying to deep treat it but boy is the BKT one bandwagon I regret getting on!! I now have a thousand different lengths and I don't know what to do about it, any suggestions?

I had a BKT(at a salon) in november, my hair looks like hot garbage now! I don't know what to do about it? It is so frizzy when I pull it back into a bun thousands of little strands are sticking up. I have affirm 5n1 trying to deep treat it but boy is the BKT one bandwagon I regret getting on!! I now have a thousand different lengths and I don't know what to do about it, any suggestions?

Remember - BKT is only a temporary solution to taming frizzyness. You should get a treatment done every 3-4 months or earlier depending on the density of your hair. I've been using BKT to transition from texlaxed to natural and BKT-ing around every 4 months or so.

Ladies are these two products safe for me to use on my hair or will it revert my BKT???

Aveda Dry Remedy Ingredients: Aqeuous (Water/Aqua/Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alchohol, Glycerin, Stearyl Dimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Buruti oil, Pomegranate Sterols, Orbignya Speciosa Kernel oil, Astrocaryun Murumuru seed butter, Tocopherol, Ethyl Macadamiate, Vinegar, Sunflower seed oil, soybean oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, jojoba seed oil, Babassuamidopropyltrimonium methosulfate, distearyldimonium chloride, Behentrimonium chloride, Polyquarternium-10, Behenamidopropyltrimonium methosulfate, centrimonium chloride, dimethiconol, tricaprylyl citrate, dimethiconol meadowfoamate, glyceryl caprylate, dicaprylate maleate, palmamidopropyl trimonium methosulfate, alcohol denat., parfum, geraniol, limonene, Citronella, Eugenol, Linalool, Citral, citric acid, Sodium gluconate, potassium sorbate.

Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment
: Aqueous Extracts: Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Leaf Powder, LinumUsitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearalkonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Chloride, Phenyl Trimethicone, Quaternium-80, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Fusanus Spicatus Wood Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides Oil, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Tocopherol, Babassuamidopropyltrimonium Methosulfate, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Behenamidopropyltrimonium Methosulfate, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Dimethiconol Meadowfoamate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Polyquaternium-10, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Citric Acid, Sodium Gluconate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

BlackHairDiva, First off, I am a serious fan of Aveda's Damage Remedy; that line keeps my hair in fantastic shape. Unfortunately, I've found it will not work with a BKT.

Not so much that the ingredients in the conditioner will strip the hair, more, that you need the Aveda Shampoos, that contain the sulfates that will prevent the conditioner to build up. At least, that has been my experience.

@BlackHairDiva, First off, I am a serious fan of Aveda's Damage Remedy; that line keeps my hair in fantastic shape. Unfortunately, I've found it will not work with a BKT.

Not so much that the ingredients in the conditioner will strip the hair, more, that you need the Aveda Shampoos, that contain the sulfates that will prevent the conditioner to build up. At least, that has been my experience.

Thank you!! I have been noticing the same thing!!! i will have to give my aveda stuff to mom. By the way is the anti humectant ok to use?

Last edited:
You're welcome! That's the one thing I miss with having a BKT, I used to really like the smell of the of the shampoos & conditioners and they always made my hair look healthy. I think the anti-humectant is fine, I still use the Smooth Infusion. I wish Aveda would come out with a sulfate free line, the woman that cuts my hair is an Aveda instructor and according to her, they have no plans to come out with a sulfate free line. :( They think they're products are pure enough. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone - I'm new to LHCF, but I have been doing a lot of research on here and all over the internet.

I am deathly afraid of getting a Keratin Treatment but my salon says it will be better for my hair than a relaxer. I live in Arizona and its sooooooooo DRY here!! With that being said, the relaxer normally dries my hair out and it super sensitive and sheds like crazy. So I wanted to find an alternative and my salon told me about KeraSmooth. I have looked on the BioIonic website, seen YouTube videos, heard horror stories and some good ones too and I don't know if it will be a good fit for me. I will be coming straight out of a full weave. I have been wearing the weaves for about 2 years. I haven't had a relaxer around my edges for about a year and I haven't had a full head relaxer in about 2 years as well.

What do you educated ladies think? I know there's no way to tell how my hair will respond, but to give some background information about my hair, its really thick, and I have a lot of it. I want something to tame it without breaking down my hair that I have been working so hard to grow.

Help! :)

CeCe
hi there.. i just got my last relaxer this week. I will be doing the kerasmooth in 12 weeks. I am a relaxed 4b head. I want to get rid of this relaxer, so hopefully this helps. My stylist and her daughter who both have the kerasmooth swear by this keratin treatment. She went to 20 hours of class to be able to do this form of keratin. I am praying it works well. I think it will be healthier than putting a lye relaxer in my hair. :yep:

Hi everyone - I'm new to LHCF, but I have been doing a lot of research on here and all over the internet.

I am deathly afraid of getting a Keratin Treatment but my salon says it will be better for my hair than a relaxer. I live in Arizona and its sooooooooo DRY here!! With that being said, the relaxer normally dries my hair out and it super sensitive and sheds like crazy. So I wanted to find an alternative and my salon told me about KeraSmooth. I have looked on the BioIonic website, seen YouTube videos, heard horror stories and some good ones too and I don't know if it will be a good fit for me. I will be coming straight out of a full weave. I have been wearing the weaves for about 2 years. I haven't had a relaxer around my edges for about a year and I haven't had a full head relaxer in about 2 years as well.

What do you educated ladies think? I know there's no way to tell how my hair will respond, but to give some background information about my hair, its really thick, and I have a lot of it. I want something to tame it without breaking down my hair that I have been working so hard to grow.

Help! :)

CeCe

CeCe,

If you live in Arizona try Sabino salon (They make Sabino Lock-n-Block serum) I think they have an excellent understanding of ethnic hair and keratin treatments.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sabino-salon-scottsdale

Hi Ladies - I need your help please.

I am completely new to LHCF (subscribed 1 hour ago...lol) and would like to understand how you care for your hair after a BKT? Just a little background, I am 4b/c, shoulder length natural hair (2 years) and just got my first Marcia Teixiera Chocolate BKT 2 weeks ago. So far I LOVE the results. I normally go to the hair salon bi-weekly, but would like to start caring for my hair myself since it should be more manageable with the BKT. Marcia Teixiera of course has a line of shampoos and conditioners that they suggest, but I wanted to know if there are others out there that would work just as well, if not better. Thanks in advance for your help!

Ok, so, I read up to page 56 of this thread and can't read anymore. I've searched through it too and have just a couple of more questions, just to make sure before I take the plunge.

1) My flat-iron goes up to 446 (I know weird, right?), this should be fine?
2) It's okay to use oils such as castor and grapeseed oil for prepoos after I have done the bkt and my first wash out, correct?
3) Why exactly is Softliss so cheap? Does anyone know?
3) So Organix has a version of bkt, then they also have a sulfate-free, sodium-free shampoo/conditioner, does anyone use these with their other brands of bkt, QOD's, Softlisses, etc?

Thanks!

Harina ans. are bolded

Ok, so, I read up to page 56 of this thread and can't read anymore. I've searched through it too and have just a couple of more questions, just to make sure before I take the plunge.

1) My flat-iron goes up to 446 (I know weird, right?), this should be fine?
You definitely don't want to go up to the max on your iron. I can't tell you what temp. to use because its your hair and different heads have different heat tolerances. If you are unsure do a test on a section at a low heat setting and work your way up until you are satisfied with the results.
2) It's okay to use oils such as castor and grapeseed oil for prepoos after I have done the bkt and my first wash out, correct?
You can do anything you want with your hair so long as it does not strip the BKT - sulfates/salts will do that
3) Why exactly is Softliss so cheap? Does anyone know?
?? What do you mean 'so cheap' its not $20.
3) So Organix has a version of bkt, then they also have a sulfate-free, sodium-free shampoo/conditioner, does anyone use these with their other brands of bkt, QOD's, Softlisses, etc?
can't answer-I don't use Organix

Thanks!

Hi Ladies

I need some help on a colour issue
I have thick 4a natural hair, shoulder length partially gray (normally dyed dark brown) I did my first BKT a few months ago - loved the results but didn't realise I was supposed to apply colour first, so I had a noticable amount of gray roots. I've just had the second BKT (again - love the results) but the day before I had applied a permanent black to my hair. Since the treatment the colour has lifted to auburn brown. I had read the BKT will slightly lift the colour but this has changed quite a bit.

Have any of you had issues with hair colour and BKT? Any ideas on how to get the colour to hold better?

TIA

Last edited:
So i just got my first keratin treatment. My stylist swears by it her facebook pics are amazing. I got my regular relaxer and the got the color lock . im considering transitioning from the relaxer to only the kt. They way i understand she offers the color , Then an original., And then the permanently straight one. She suggested the whole product line but im a lhcf sista i kbow there are alternatives. Anyway. I can tell the difference already

Sent from my evo

I finally washed since my Kt. I used organix keratin shampoo and conditioner, flat iron spray, and serum. Loved the results

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1314113948181.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314113948181.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 141
  • uploadfromtaptalk1314114015047.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314114015047.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 120
Hey Ya'll. Former BKT'er but eventually quit, initially out of shear laziness (those days I self BKT'd took forever). I still use my Softliss cone mask when I want fake plasticky blingy hair. Good luck.

I did my daughter's BKT last weekend using QOD MAX OrganiQ. This is formaldehyde free and you can rinse it out the same day.

I paid $205 for a 33 oz bottle that doesn't expire until 2/2013.

Her hair was very silky and only needed a blow drier after I rinsed it out.

It turned out really well and I posted a thread on it with pics.

so ive been debating this for awhile now. i would love to wear my hair straight as much as possible.. would you recommend i find a salon that uses lasio? 75$ sounds great! id do it once every 3-6 months!

im realllllllllllllllly debating this right now! i was abt to purchase my first wig, but i dont know how i feel abt that.. i know its a protective style and all, but my hair is MY HAIR, that i wanna ROCK AT ALL TIMES. its like how you buy something but wanna cherish it so it put it in the back of the closet.. WHY?? no ones gonna see it!? or you're not going to get the pleasure of using it... ROCK IT DAMMIT! lol.
sorry that was a mini vent... anywho- keratin treatments seem healthy and like theyd be the ideal solution to my pressing my hair trials.

i need a chicago salon recommendation, i guess thats another discussion board.
thanks lady :lol:
Great idea!!

Lasio is http://lasiostudios.com/./494/Products
They teach a course every Monday - license or Tax ID required
http://lasiostudios.com/./484/EDUCATIONAL_CLASSES

I have Lasio (One Day treatment). I only paid $75 though since I did not have it done at Lasio Studios but rather a local salon that uses Lasio. They want $375 for the One Day Treatment.

I am doing my second wash today after 9.5 days of rocking my flat iron. I'm rollersetting today.

I have tried Lasio, Rejuvenol and Marcia Teixeira (chocolate). I prefer the Rejuvenol overall. Lasio seemed to light (spray bottle & very watery). MT was too heavy and although it did smell a little like chocolate, it mostly smelled like chemicals. Rejuvenol was a good mix, not light and also not heavy with no funky chemical smell, at least not to me.

Back