Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I just got my softliss chocolate in the mail and it came with NO instructions!! How the heck am I supposed to know how to apply this stuff?

It's on their website here: http://www.softliss.com/carrito/ Look under kits. :)

Wash hair with warm water and apply Soft-Liss Deep Wash Shampoo STEP 1 two to four times. Completely dry hair with a dryer, there is no need to use a brush. Use fingers or a comb to untangle. Divide hair into 4 parts. Separate each part where product will be applied, starting from the back. Pour enough volume reducer Soft-Liss Intelligent Brush STEP 2 into a plastic container. Once applied, hair should be damp with product. Apply volume reducer using gloves, with the help of a brush on all 4 parts of the hair as close to the scalp as possible without touching it, distributing it throughout the length. Comb hair thoroughly for 5 minutes to activate product. Wait 15 minutes and dry strands superficially. Divide the hair into 4 parts again and do thorough Blow Dry. Divide the hair once more into 4 parts and iron each part 5 to 6 times minimum, more if needed. The Blow Dry and Ironing steps are the secret to excellent results. After the complete application process, wait 1 hour and wash hair with cold water. Apply the Soft-Liss Nurturing Mask STEP 3 massaging each strand for at least 5 minutes. Wash hair again with cold water, and Blow Dry

It's on their website here: http://www.softliss.com/carrito/ Look under kits. :)

Wash hair with warm water and apply Soft-Liss Deep Wash Shampoo STEP 1 two to four times. Completely dry hair with a dryer, there is no need to use a brush. Use fingers or a comb to untangle. Divide hair into 4 parts. Separate each part where product will be applied, starting from the back. Pour enough volume reducer Soft-Liss Intelligent Brush STEP 2 into a plastic container. Once applied, hair should be damp with product. Apply volume reducer using gloves, with the help of a brush on all 4 parts of the hair as close to the scalp as possible without touching it, distributing it throughout the length. Comb hair thoroughly for 5 minutes to activate product. Wait 15 minutes and dry strands superficially. Divide the hair into 4 parts again and do thorough Blow Dry. Divide the hair once more into 4 parts and iron each part 5 to 6 times minimum, more if needed. The Blow Dry and Ironing steps are the secret to excellent results. After the complete application process, wait 1 hour and wash hair with cold water. Apply the Soft-Liss Nurturing Mask STEP 3 massaging each strand for at least 5 minutes. Wash hair again with cold water, and Blow Dry

So sweet Dak!! Thanks girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Ediese,

It is possible, but not likely, that your hair will not revert back. It mostly seems to be based on the texture and especially the strand density; probably the strand density more than anything. For example, my mom is a 4a/4b with very, very, fine hair but her hair got bone straight, relaxer straight, after her first treatment on her new growth.

My hair that was color-treated, bleached last August then covered with black dye 3 weeks later, also gets a red/brown tone to it but it's only the colored treated hair (about 30% of the top layer). I have about 5 inches of new growth 3 1/2 of it has no bleach, nothing, just my natural black colored hair with a BKT and the color is not altered at all by the BKT.

I'm not sure why your hair is frizzy, THAT is baffling to me, but I suspect it has something to do with that permanent hair color and dryness from all the heat at that high temperature. Once that treatment is out of your hair buy some Kenra moisturizing conditioner (if you don't already own some) and deep condition, WITH HEAT, for about an hour. Your hair should NOT be frizzy with the treatment still present in your hair. Your hair, at worse, with the treatment still present might be a little dull and coated if the stylist used a little bit too much but it shouldn't be frizzy.

Also, since you love your curls I would forgeo the strong formeldahyde based treatments and stick with Coppola. Your hair will revert right back to it's natural texture and be a little more shiney and frizz-free when curly. Marcia Teixtera can get 4b kanky curls bone straight so it's nothing to play with!

BTW,

You can see the my Global Keratin 2% tx from last April and the Coppola Keratin done at Ulta in my Fotki. My hair still had wave/curl with the Coppola.

Ediese - my first reaction is that too much was done.

I assume when you colored your hair black you used a box kit. I am totally against box kits personally, but because you then got BKT, I can't say where the problem is exactly.

Color or Keratin Treatment

Did you use Marcia Advanced (which you would wash out after an hour) or is it a 2 day formula like Chocolate?

If your hair became frizzy, I would simply blow dry it straight.

Heat protectant is not your key here either as the keratin is coating the hair strand as it is, you should not require hair damaging high heat temperature of the flat iron. A blow out should be enough to accomplish straight hair.

Keratin is wonderful, and yet it, like every other product, it reacts differently for different hair types. The results it gives one person is not guaranteed for the next.

In addition, because you received your service from a salon, you should return to the salon and voice your particular concerns with them, both the hair color change, as well as the frizzing. They should be able to assist you in coming up with a long term care solution until your next treatment.

Back to the color briefly. Did you use a jet black color, or a brown black? Do you know what your dominate underlying color is - most likely red. If you used a black color whose base tone is not green, your red undertone would not be canceled out leading to the red of your natural color to become prevalent.

If you used a permanent color, please do not attempt to correct the color by using another permanent color - you can lose your hair. You can tone it down a bit with a color deposit shampoo like John Frieda Brunette.

Ediese, I always color my hair right before do the BKT treatment. I do notice a little color difference, I've always thought that it was because my hair was straighter & that light reflects differently on straighter hair. Who knows?

Being frizzy the day after does make me wonder too. Sorry, but do you sweat when you sleep? That might be the reason, though my first thought was that the stylist didn't use enough product on your hair for it to get coated. You do look like you have a lot of hair :cool: maybe they were too lighthanded with the product?

BTW, now that the treatment is done, it's fine to use a heat protectant.

Thanks so much for answering. :) I do wonder if he didn't use a lot of the treatment. I washed it out last night. I got the chocolate/4 day advanced treatment. I was so nervous that my hair wouldn't curl back. lol It did in some areas, and in the areas where my texture was looser it didn't. I have more large waves in some areas too.

If I brush my hair back in a ponytail, it gets really straight as if I have a relaxer. :perplexed I don't have the pretty waves like I use to. I brushed my hair back, and put on my scarf hoping that it'd work, but it didn't. I did notice this morning that my hair was waving up like crazy when I slept with some conditioner overnight. I don't think I sweat in my sleep. It really was the weirdest thing. The straight hair got really poofy towards the end. I'm not going to straighten again for the duration of the treatment.

The color that I used was the Loreal Feria Starry Night Bright Black permanent dye in the box. I've used it before with great success, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm not planning on messing with the color for a while. Thanks Veejee for the Kenra tip. After I washed with the Marcia Texeira shampoo and conditioner, it felt like my hair was clarified. It was really dry. I bought the Kenra conditioner from Ulta last night, and I applied some and twisted my hair up for the night. I washed it out this morning, and that dry feeling totally went away. It looked really good.

I'm not having any breakage issues, and apart from the light color and straight pieces in some areas, I'm liking the treatment. My hair seems stronger and it's kinda silky. The shrinkage/bulky frizz has gone away at least by 80%. By the time I finished taking my pics, my hair had already dried this morning. lol When it dries with no product, it's really soft and easy to comb through. That's a blessing because I could never do that prior to the treatment.

I'm hoping that my curls come back after the treatment wears off. I suspected that the areas of my head where I had a looser texture (crown), and heat damage (left nape) that it would make those sections straight. I was correct. I think I'll wait until the treatment fully wears off before I try again, and this time I'll try one with less formaldyhde (per Veejee). I think that'll definitely work better for me. :) Thanks again@!!

Ediese, I have noticed with KT - that after a few washes the texture of the hair looses that feeling - sort of like after the first few weeks post relaxer.

Because your hair is different textures, they reacted differently and that explains the degree of straightness. My nape is easier to comb but in no way does it look relaxer straight with BKT - except after the very first wash.

Thanks to Veejee's link to a salon that specializes in KT I found that they recommend Finese shampoo (my old line from back in the day). Check it out. Other ladies were using Organix coconut. - just make sure it doesn't have sodium chloride or sodium pca and you should be good.

I'm glad its made your maintenance easier!!

Hiya. I've bkt'd before (with DH) but due to some mistakes on my part it was kind of a disaster. (naked blow dry, hair in worse condition than i had thought to begin with.)

My hair is CURRENTLY in dang near perfect condition (ok, i need a trim) and I plan to prepare it via hardcore pampering for atleast two weeks before a BKT. I'm a type four natural.

I'm also bored, and would like a drastic, non permanent change. What thoughts do you guys have on back to back (like a week apart, maybe two weeks apart) BKTs for more drastic straightness? Do you think it would interfere too much with conditioning? I supposedly have more DH lying around, but i think I might switch to OK keratin (especially if i can't find my DH).

I want greater strength and flexibility for what will be a cowash, work out heavy summer..and less time spent detangling. I could get that with one BKT, but I'm thinking the second for the more drastic appearance reasons. With straighter hair I could actually start to wet bun/pin up already (mostly pin up for a while.) It would be easier for me to protect my ends.. What say you all?

Also much thanks to HijabiFlyGirl for that post on BKT and temperature! That probably could have saved me some trouble the first time around..

Ok guys, I have applied the softliss at 410 degrees and now I am waiting the hour required. The last question I have is, can I skip that final blowdrying after the mask since I won't be wearing my hair straight? I wanted the treatment to help with ssk. Thanks again guys for walking me through this!!

Ok guys, I have applied the softliss at 410 degrees and now I am waiting the hour required. The last question I have is, can I skip that final blowdrying after the mask since I won't be wearing my hair straight? I wanted the treatment to help with ssk. Thanks again guys for walking me through this!!

yes, you can skip it.

You're the second person I've heard of who didn't get directions and I got TWO sets. Thank goodness they put them on the website.

I just got my softliss chocolate in the mail and it came with NO instructions!! How the heck am I supposed to know how to apply this stuff?

Hiya. I've bkt'd before (with DH) but due to some mistakes on my part it was kind of a disaster. (naked blow dry, hair in worse condition than i had thought to begin with.)

My hair is CURRENTLY in dang near perfect condition (ok, i need a trim) and I plan to prepare it via hardcore pampering for atleast two weeks before a BKT. I'm a type four natural.

I'm also bored, and would like a drastic, non permanent change. What thoughts do you guys have on back to back (like a week apart, maybe two weeks apart) BKTs for more drastic straightness? Do you think it would interfere too much with conditioning? I supposedly have more DH lying around, but i think I might switch to OK keratin (especially if i can't find my DH).

I want greater strength and flexibility for what will be a cowash, work out heavy summer..and less time spent detangling. I could get that with one BKT, but I'm thinking the second for the more drastic appearance reasons. With straighter hair I could actually start to wet bun/pin up already (mostly pin up for a while.) It would be easier for me to protect my ends.. What say you all?

Also much thanks to HijabiFlyGirl for that post on BKT and temperature! That probably could have saved me some trouble the first time around..

I can understand what you are looking for, I suppose the best advice I could give is do not expect "drastic straightness" for longer than one wash.

I would also wait atleast 2 weeks to repeat the treatment (and I believe other ladies have noted this)

Single strand knots. Please trim them as you see them "seek and destroy" Even on relaxed hair I S&D and am vigilant. I should have been more so the various times I've been natural or relaxed over the years. Traycee taught me that one!

**My last advice would be not to go heavy on the trim when you first go back to BKT. S&D will help greatly. After that and a few treatments, I'd go for the trim. This way the gnarly ends won't appear so bad, and whoever trims your hair will be able to give you a good dusting, without telling you you're hair is "damaged" and you need a "cut"

Only at home or at a girlfriend's house. I don't wear it outside. Under the hijab I wear it cross wrapped (since I cut it) and a silk scarf. Most of my hijabs are not made of silk :2inlove: my hair.

I'm going to a salon today to get my bkt done. It is supposed to be raining today and I know I can't get it wet. Will it mess up if I wrap it and and tie it down or can I not wrap it at all?

Ok ladies I have a question which I'm sure has been answered. I have used DH twice and each time the hair was beautiful and shiny. Then about 3 weeks later I will experience a great deal of breakage. I can't tell if it's because the hair is dry, but I don't think it's protein sensitve because before BKT I used Apoghee 2 minute before every wash.

At this point I usually relax. I only do this process about every 3 or 4 months. This may strip away the BKT, but after doing this my relaxed hair looks way more shiny and and it stronger and doesn't break. I'm trying to see how can I cut out this period of breakage and how can I determine what is causing it? Could it be the brand? I'm done with my DH samples and I will be looking for something else, maybe, but I'm just scared that this 3 weeks of breakage will effect the overall health of my hair.

Are these the instructions for the Chocolate kit?

Where are these instructions on their website?.. I can't seem to find it when I click on the link and my kit didn’t come with any also. I called and the rep said he'd email me them but he didn’t. I tried doing the bkt based on instructions posted from other members and both times it failed, it just washed right out :(

Great question Leona25. I have read others experience this, and I too have had some level of breakage as well; however, I attributed it to the long stretch - they were long strand breaks. As you have noted, after relaxing, I have no breakage.

I was not able to determine if the breakage was from the stretch or the keratin treatment.

anyone else?

I'm going to do a BKT on my roots with a lower temp and see how it turns out. I don't want to wait the 72 hours required by Global because I'm working out daily and don't want to stop.

I have the OK Keratin wash next day formula... I don't see much posted about results with that product.
Have you bkt your roots yet? If so, how did it turn out?

leona, from what i understand, DH isn't the most protective. when i read that, i immediately looked for another brand.

5th app update!:grin:(WARNING: long read)
this go-round was AWE! SOME!:yep: i was able to do it tuesday evening/night so that my 1st wash would be on a regular wash day.

i forced myself to steam for about 45min-1 hour, clarified once, then used loreal everpure smooth shampoo (spiked w/ qod poo). blowdried just to "a little over dampness" and applied. because i'm losing bulk, the whole process was a lot faster

after the blowdry, i had lots of movement, which i really didn't have the last app w/ qod. now the flat iron-that's when the magic started. 4 root taps & 3 full passes with my izunami on 380-somethin (you can't really tell what temp you're using. but i know it wasn't 400) had my hair hot to the touch. i thought about doin one more pass, but if it's already burnin my fingers, i feel like i'd risk heat damage.

afterwards, my hair was not dry like last time, the smoothness? omg. even the disobedient area in the middle smoothed way out. it moved so freakin much. all the relaxed hair at the bottom got type 1 straight
the next morning though, i noticed a little reversion at the roots from sweating my wrap. wasn't a big deal though.

the first wash? omg yall. i rinsed my hair 5 minutes before i could feel a curl! i was like don't get me all excited! when i did feel the waves, they were SOOO much looser. did an oil rinse (with a lil too much oil i think) followed by french perm stabilizer (which i still don't know if i should be using) and when i plaited my hair while still wet, my pic just glided right on thru. lost about 5 hairs in the whole process. airdried, the 1st 2/3 inches look puffy, but they're so soft. my kitchen looks like i did the scarf method on it.

Now for the pics. i know this post was long, but i'm beyond satisfied. might stick with qod after all

Attachments

• 5thsleek.jpg
    5thsleek.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 5th swang.jpg
    5th swang.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
5th app update!:grin:(WARNING: long read)
this go-round was AWE! SOME!:yep: i was able to do it tuesday evening/night so that my 1st wash would be on a regular wash day.

i forced myself to steam for about 45min-1 hour, clarified once, then used loreal everpure smooth shampoo (spiked w/ qod poo). blowdried just to "a little over dampness" and applied. because i'm losing bulk, the whole process was a lot faster

after the blowdry, i had lots of movement, which i really didn't have the last app w/ qod. now the flat iron-that's when the magic started. 4 root taps & 3 full passes with my izunami on 380-somethin (you can't really tell what temp you're using. but i know it wasn't 400) had my hair hot to the touch. i thought about doin one more pass, but if it's already burnin my fingers, i feel like i'd risk heat damage.

afterwards, my hair was not dry like last time, the smoothness? omg. even the disobedient area in the middle smoothed way out. it moved so freakin much. all the relaxed hair at the bottom got type 1 straight
the next morning though, i noticed a little reversion at the roots from sweating my wrap. wasn't a big deal though.

the first wash? omg yall. i rinsed my hair 5 minutes before i could feel a curl! i was like don't get me all excited! when i did feel the waves, they were SOOO much looser. did an oil rinse (with a lil too much oil i think) followed by french perm stabilizer (which i still don't know if i should be using) and when i plaited my hair while still wet, my pic just glided right on thru. lost about 5 hairs in the whole process. airdried, the 1st 2/3 inches look puffy, but they're so soft. my kitchen looks like i did the scarf method on it.

Now for the pics. i know this post was long, but i'm beyond satisfied. might stick with qod after all

Wow your hair looks great!!

Back