Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Thanks so much! I wish I had realized that earlier I bought a new flat iron that went to 450 just because everything seemed to say that. :ohwell: oh well at lest its pink so i'll keep it

Yes-Follow H.Flygirl's advice. I had a very bad setback caused by the 450 degrees I used on my relaxed hair--not by the BKT itself (have since used it successfully using a lower temp.)

I hope your BKT turns out well.:yep:

And btw, those ingredients seem okay--Thanks for posting them!. My only concern is that we don't know what % formaldehyde it contains. Hope it's not too fumey.

Last edited:
Yes-Follow H.Flygirl's advice. I had a very bad setback caused by the 450 degrees I used on my relaxed hair--not by the BKT itself (have since used it successfully using a lower temp.)

I hope your BKT turns out well.:yep:

And btw, those ingredients seem okay--Thanks for posting them!. My only concern is that we don't know what % formaldehyde it contains. Hope it's not too fumey.
it says its formaldehyde free

BUMPING!!

So is Copolla the best brand to use to loosen the curl?? I don't want my hair completely straight when I wash. I'm natural btw. I read through the thread and that's what I've picked up on. I am looking where I can buy this and will have my hair boy do this next week.

Any recs where I can get the stuff from???

If not Copolla to loosen curls, which one would you recommend??? TIA

BUMPING!!

So is Copolla the best brand to use to loosen the curl?? I don't want my hair completely straight when I wash. I'm natural btw. I read through the thread and that's what I've picked up on. I am looking where I can buy this and will have my hair boy do this next week.

Waiting on this information too....

BUMPING!!

Waiting on this information too....

It depends on you hair type and condition.

In my experience (type 4b, some 4a around the nape, ears; relaxed ends, 6 months post) my hair ALWAYS reverts the second it comes in contact with water. I've used Dre@m H@ir, global 4%, and OK keratin. They've all perfomed similarly. Flat ironing results vary, but after shampooing they've all been very similar (softer roots, looser curls). The results are somewhat cumulative, that is, my curls keep getting gradually looser with each application (2-4 weeks apart, depending on how busy I am).

If you're natural, it's unlikely that you'll be straight (after the first shampoo) from treatment 1. I can almost guarantee that you will revert to curly (though your texture will be slightly looser). But if you're texlaxed, dye your hair, etc, then it's possible to get straight out of the shower results from day 1).[Texlaxed BKTers please chime in!]

I just did a treatment today with Marcia Teixeira chocolate (Thanks, Muse!) but I haven't washed yet so, no comment until later this week: I've learned that first day BKT reviews are meaningless: you' end up reviewing the flat ironing, not the treatment.

HTH

Last edited:
BUMPING!!

I have a 4oz bottle that is unused I'll sell to you. I wanted bone straight results and although I did like Coppola I wanted my hair straighter so I never used it after I placed my order (Had Coppola done at Ulta - had already ordered the bottle but didn't want to do it myself). :perplexed

BTW, you can check out my Coppola results in my Fotki. :-)

Where are you ladies getting your softliss from. I am a little reluctant to buy from eBay esp with the crazy shipping charges to the UK.

Any LHCF BKT'ers have some softliss strawberry they want to sell (with masque etc) - would be greatly appreciated !

TIA :grin:

Sorry Me-T, just saw this. I didn't want to take over the thread with that info and I'm still in the testing stages of using this treatment but so far I really like it!

http://www.crockettcompany.com./faq.html

if it's anything like naturalaxer, don't even bother. i tried it when i was natural and it only softened my texture a lil bit,which made me mad 'cause the after pics showed them with straight hair

just looked: yep it's just like what i used. i have pics in the natural folder of my fotki. you can't even see a diff. i tried overlapping, leaving it on for a longer time, still no straightness.

Last edited:
that's a fire @ss red! how's the body and bounce?

thank you!!

There's so much swang...

when I did the first go round, it was full and thick like a regular, non-BKT flat iron. I wasn't convinced, and then left it alone for the rest of the day and had a big body lioness look by last night -- like in the first pics...

When I washed it out, and repeated the process, I took care to listen and it was really swingy and had great sheen.

I purchased this....

I'll be trying it when it comes in and I will be going to the salon for a blowout and trim.

if it's anything like naturalaxer, don't even bother. i tried it when i was natural and it only softened my texture a lil bit,which made me mad 'cause the after pics showed them with straight hair

just looked: yep it's just like what i used. i have pics in the natural folder of my fotki. you can't even see a diff. i tried overlapping, leaving it on for a longer time, still no straightness.

I've already tried the New Options brand and it really does work. It basically gave me the same results as BKT without the heat. Not bone straight hair but looser curl pattern. To get straight hair you have to use heat (this brand states that) but the straight hair, if flat ironed, is suppose to last longer without reversion until you wash.

nah i dont want to use heat to get straight hair. i want it to be straight all the time

Do you get straight hair out of the shower with BKT? I have never been able to achieve that but that is what I was going for when I first started doing BKTs. I am a 4b though so maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part:spinning:.

not yet. it takes a while. i'm thinking of doing my treatments every month now instead of 8wks to speed up the process. fighting with 2 textures is gettin the best of me.

I did encanto about 3 weeks ago on my hair and my aunt's. I know it kinda gross but I haven't washed my hair since then. I've been so busy with finals and such, but I'll be washing my hair Friday.

The treatment is sooooo different than the others I've tried. It involves other steps that most 1 hour treatments do not entail. The treatment itself is very liquidy. The conditioner reminds me of the softliss treatment (not neutralizer). The shampoo is not clarifying at all. It doesn't strip the hair and will not clean a very dirty scalp. Its very moisturizing and detangling though. I love the shampoo.

I tried a test piece of hair about 2 weeks before doing it all over my head. My hair is texlaxed and pretty curly. On my test strip the hair did not revert back to curly. It was straight but loss its brand new silky BKT look. This weekend I will see what it looks like without straightening my head.

So far it gives me nice blow in the wind hair. My aunt has washed her hair since then and says that her hair has stayed pretty straight. She did mention that even though its not frizzy her hair is now back to looking like relaxed hair.

Overall, it seems to be a good product. I love love love the price, but I dont think that its strong enough. I want slick hair that lasts. I think that I might also try redoing it this weekend. As you guys know with progressive treatments the second application is better than the first.

Do you get straight hair out of the shower with BKT? I have never been able to achieve that but that is what I was going for when I first started doing BKTs. I am a 4b though so maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part:spinning:.

I was able to do this in certain sections of my hair in the past when I was natural. It only worked on a patch of hair in the back of my head that has very fine hair. Not in density but texture. I did the treatment about 3 time in less than one month in that section. The hair was straight when wet and straight when dry. That was the time I was trying to get loose hair all over. That doesnt work because I have different texture throughout my whole head.

So try doing the treatment every 15 days until you get the results you want. Most companies say to do that anyway although some recommend only doing that once.

I was able to do this in certain sections of my hair in the past when I was natural. It only worked on a patch of hair in the back of my head that has very fine hair. Not in density but texture. I did the treatment about 3 time in less than one month in that section. The hair was straight when wet and straight when dry. That was the time I was trying to get loose hair all over. That doesnt work because I have different texture throughout my whole head.

So try doing the treatment every 15 days until you get the results you want. Most companies say to do that anyway although some recommend only doing that once.

Oh I'm done doing BKTs but I just come in here to see how everyone is doing (I still think it's a great process just not for me anymore). I was doing monthly treatments to loosen but that got me some wicked heat damage so I know my hair couldn't take every 15 days. :nono:

I just received my QOD gold. I have a few more questions... Since the shampoo strips the hair of everything...Is it pointless for me to do one last casia treatment 2 weeks before the bkt? will the shampoo strip it off?

Also since in the instruction it says to naked dry, in my case I will air dry, Is it possible for me to air dry my hair and use the banding technique? My natural hair is very course...(i'm not relaxed, I'm natural). For those not familiar with banding:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=254587&highlight=banding

I'm thinking of dividing my hair in small section, banding. and air drying the hair instead of a naked dry. has anyone tried doing this instead of the naked dry?

I just received my QOD gold. I have a few more questions... Since the shampoo strips the hair of everything...Is it pointless for me to do one last casia treatment 2 weeks before the bkt? will the shampoo strip it off?

Also since in the instruction it says to naked dry, in my case I will air dry, Is it possible for me to air dry my hair and use the banding technique? My natural hair is very course...(i'm not relaxed, I'm natural). For those not familiar with banding:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=254587&highlight=banding

I'm thinking of dividing my hair in small section, banding. and air drying the hair instead of a naked dry. has anyone tried doing this instead of the naked dry?

Don't know much about Henna but shampoo shouldn't just "strip". Any experts want to chime in?

regarding air drying: It should work fine. Salons blow-dry cause they don't have the time to wait. Your hair doesn't have to be straight at this point since your going to put product on. I sometimes wash and air dry the night before and do the treatment the nextday.
Just don't add any products to your hair!
Good luck with your QOD!

Last edited:
I did encanto about 3 weeks ago on my hair and my aunt's. I know it kinda gross but I haven't washed my hair since then. I've been so busy with finals and such, but I'll be washing my hair Friday.

The treatment is sooooo different than the others I've tried. It involves other steps that most 1 hour treatments do not entail. The treatment itself is very liquidy. The conditioner reminds me of the softliss treatment (not neutralizer). The shampoo is not clarifying at all. It doesn't strip the hair and will not clean a very dirty scalp. Its very moisturizing and detangling though. I love the shampoo.

I tried a test piece of hair about 2 weeks before doing it all over my head. My hair is texlaxed and pretty curly. On my test strip the hair did not revert back to curly. It was straight but loss its brand new silky BKT look. This weekend I will see what it looks like without straightening my head.

So far it gives me nice blow in the wind hair. My aunt has washed her hair since then and says that her hair has stayed pretty straight. She did mention that even though its not frizzy her hair is now back to looking like relaxed hair.

Overall, it seems to be a good product. I love love love the price, but I dont think that its strong enough. I want slick hair that lasts. I think that I might also try redoing it this weekend. As you guys know with progressive treatments the second application is better than the first.

@ the bolded!!!

Yes Yes Yes

And to add, I added MORE because I wasn't sure I added enough to my hair ... it was very liquidy!

I just came from the beach. The weather is humid and windy and it may rain. My hair's just a swinging and blowing in the wind... my color is popping and I'm tooootally not experiencing any reversion. My hair gets a lot of volume as the day goes by... but that's about it.

Well I finally took the plunge. I ordered my Encanto last night on Ebay and received an email that it shipped this morning. How's that for service?

I'm glad to hear the product is liquidy. DH was difficult for me to apply since it was so thick.

Don't know much about Henna but shampoo shouldn't just "strip". Any experts want to chime in?

regarding air drying: It should work fine. Salons blow-dry cause they don't have the time to wait. Your hair doesn't have to be straight at this point since your going to put product on. I sometimes wash and air dry the night before and do the treatment the nextday.
Just don't add any products to your hair!
Good luck with your QOD!

DID a strand test with QOD Gold..something is off!

I tested on a small amount of hair in the back of the head. I clarified once with the QOD shampoo then, Used tension/ banding method to air dry....then applied the keratin treatment and flat ironed about 4 timed on the strands. It was straight, soft , felt good and healthy. I went to bed and woke up this morning to see my small section completely reverted.:perplexed:perplexed

Can someone tell me how where I went wrong? sis I not use enough heat??
Or is it simply the wrong BKT for me?

Back