Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Have been thinking about this too. How about you just naked air dry??? The other alternative is to look at the ingredients of the BKT and replicate it and heavily dilute it so that it's really watery and does not interfere with the BKT? I wonder if Chi Keratin Mist would work?
yeah, once i clarify my hair is naked from that point on. i think i'll take a look at the qod ingredients.

yeah, once i clarify my hair is naked from that point on. i think i'll take a look at the qod ingredients.

By the way Me-T read my post above on my last BKT. I steam DC'd before my last BKT for 1.5 hrs and then clarified so that my hair would be soft and moisturised before the clarifying step. Also you could use a milder shampoo like Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo.

Finally I am not sure if anyone else has tried this but I added 1/2 a tube of Matrix Hydratherapie to 1.5 Oz of My Dream Hair BKT and my hair was soft and bouncy and not dry at all.

Maybe you could try that?

Last edited:
yeah, i steam before (all my dc's are with steam), but chile, i can't sit there for that long! 15 minutes feels like 15 years, but i need to go ahead and suck it up! play some bejeweled or something! and yea, maybe try a moisturizing poo for the last wash?

oh, i thought about adding a con to the bkt (like you would with a relaxer) but idk how it would take, think i'll try it though since you had good results

^^^ Hey Me-T the reason I use the matrix vials is bc they are so small and compact they wouldn't really interfere with the concentrations of the active ingredients.

Hijabi was that Qu for me or Me-T?

Nope don't really think it had that effect but I might be wrong???

This is my second BKT so my hair is not "straight yet". I am a 4a/b so it looks like I have a straight Afro if that makes sense :lol:

Also I am not in the BKT for straight hair as my hair is already quite fine, rather just for manageability at the line of demarcation.

My hair is soft and bouncy. Also I am in Thailand at the moment and it is crazy humid so my hair is more Afro'ish than usual if that makes sense.

x Stella

yes, and oh. I suppose you should do a few more before you start altering the formula, wouldn't want to waste your money.

see, i'm in it for that straight out the shower effect (God i can't wait!) so maybe i should wait til i get to that point before i start altering things

I'd like to hear from ladies with fine hair. I'm not liking this smoothing treatment that I got done at ULTA. My hair looks incredibly thin. Not full or healthy at all. It's been about 5 weeks now and I hate my hair. As soon as I washed the treatment out, a week later, using WEN, my hair completely reverted. (They used Keratin Smoothing Treatment by Coppola with aldehyde.) I paid around $200 for the treatment and it hasn't lasted at all despite the fact that I no longer use sulfates or sodium shampoos.

I'm wondering if I should wait a few more weeks, then try something else.

My hair is so fine that I won't wash or comb for two weeks at a time.

Anyone else with fine hair having success or issues?

I don't have fine hair, but my Ulta KCT didn't last me a month, either. I loved the results, but they didn't last so ultimately it was a waste of money. I ended up doing my 2nd treatment myself with QOD Max. I did it exactly as instructed with no issues whatsoever. My hair came out better myself. I keep hearing about Ulta's treatments not lasting, so I'm wondering if the stylists are just instructed to not use enough product for profit reasons?

my next bkt is about a week or 2 away, and i've been really wondering- does the hair really need to be stripped and naked prior to application?
i want to do a cowash after all the clarifying, but thought "what if the treatment doesn't hold well on the hair?"
then i thought, " what if, after air drying to slight dampness, i spritz with something watery for a little more dampness, that way it's like water, but better?" i was thinking mix some silk amino acid & pure aloe vera juice together.
i just don't like the thought of "sealing in dryness"...am i making sense?

ITA w/Positively Radiant re: using Johnson's and Johnson's instead of a stronger shampoo for clarifying. I don't know, something about a strong clarifying poo...just makes my hair feel so stripped. I also advocate the naked air-dry over the naked blow-dry...less risk of breakage for me. I'm leery of diluting the BKT, though, mainly because I'm nervous about reducing its effectiveness, but if it works for you, then kudos. I just apply to slightly damp hair, comb it through, then let it set for a while before I go for the heat. Nothing wrong with a leave-in when you're done with the flat iron, though. Just my two cents. Also, nothing wrong with DCing a few times in the week or two beforehand. HTH.

ITA w/Positively Radiant re: using Johnson's and Johnson's instead of a stronger shampoo for clarifying. I don't know, something about a strong clarifying poo...just makes my hair feel so stripped. I also advocate the naked air-dry over the naked blow-dry...less risk of breakage for me. I'm leery of diluting the BKT, though, mainly because I'm nervous about reducing its effectiveness, but if it works for you, then kudos. I just apply to slightly damp hair, comb it through, then let it set for a while before I go for the heat. Nothing wrong with a leave-in when you're done with the flat iron, though. Just my two cents. Also, nothing wrong with DCing a few times in the week or two beforehand. HTH.

yeah, do some 15 min steams a couple times during the week, plus the one before my app. that way i don't have to sit there for and hour lol

Yep I use the Chi silk infusion when I am all done and it leaves a silky smooth feeling...:yep:

yeah, do some 15 min steams a couple times during the week, plus the one before my app. that way i don't have to sit there for and hour lol

I don't have a steamer, so when I DC I just put the conditioner on dry or damp hair, put in a shower cap and do household chores for an hour or so (ok, those "chores" tend to be watching a movie or cruising LHCF...:lachen:).

I don't have this "stripped" feeling with clarifying shampoo. My hair feels silky. I used QOD clarifying shampoo and I always wash 2x with Nexxus Kelate before that - leave on 2mins before washing out.

I'm 11 months into transition and I use BKT to keep the relaxed ends (7 or 8 inches) in good condition and on my head, lol. I'm not interested in doing a BC, I'm just waiting until my natural hair reaches APL/BSL before I cut them off. :yep:
good to know!

Ok guiys, it has taken me 3 hours to read through 10 pages of this thred, lol. I have a few questions. I am natural, fine 4a and porous hair. Will I still be able to wear curly hair with a bkt? Will my hair revert after the treatment wears off? What is the best brand for strengthening? What is the most economical, but effective brand? Can I buy use separate follow-up products that are less costly? Thanks for ANY advice from a very scared first-timer!

Ok guiys, it has taken me 3 hours to read through 10 pages of this thred, lol. I have a few questions. I am natural, fine 4a and porous hair. Will I still be able to wear curly hair with a bkt? Will my hair revert after the treatment wears off? What is the best brand for strengthening? What is the most economical, but effective brand? Can I buy use separate follow-up products that are less costly? Thanks for ANY advice from a very scared first-timer!

I'm no BKT expert, but I love my Softliss Chocolate Kit. I did however, want to let you know that your hair will bounce back as soon as you wash the treatment out. It is a strenghening treatment. NOT a permanent straightener. You just straighten your hair to lock the treatment into your hair. Now, if you choose to wear your hair straight for however many days you want, then your hair will be straight. But once you wash it out....My experience has been that the curls "bounce" back but a little looser and oh so soft.

HTH. The rest of the experts can give their opinions on the various lines. I have only used Softliss.

I think donewitit answered all the questions. Softliss is econ. and has good reviews here. If your hair is weak, I would spend some time working on strengthening it first with reconstructors, and getting in good moisture before attempting BKT. Also, please, please, go back and read my post on the heat requirements of BKT. THis only applies if you have a good flat iron that states it has some sort of heat stability technology. You don't want to make your porosity problems worse with breakage.

Keep reading and wait on it before you make your decision. This will not make your hair "straight" on its own, and if you have no curl pattern, it may only help in the detangling process, but not much in the way of helping with curl def, or puffiness, natural "frizziness" that comes from no curl pattern.

I think donewitit answered all the questions. Softliss is econ. and has good reviews here. If your hair is weak, I would spend some time working on strengthening it first with reconstructors, and getting in good moisture before attempting BKT. Also, please, please, go back and read my post on the heat requirements of BKT. THis only applies if you have a good flat iron that states it has some sort of heat stability technology. You don't want to make your porosity problems worse with breakage.

Keep reading and wait on it before you make your decision. This will not make your hair "straight" on its own, and if you have no curl pattern, it may only help in the detangling process, but not much in the way of helping with curl def, or puffiness, natural "frizziness" that comes from no curl pattern.

I don't think my hair is weak or damaged b/c I don't have any chemicals in it and I don't overly manipulate it. My hair is just naturally porous. I mainly want the treatment to offest the ssks and to coat and strengthen my strands. I will search for your post. THANKS

Hi everyone,

I've been reading so many of your posts on this site and have read some great info but I'm still somewhat lost.

I just got a keratin treatment at Ulta last week because I really would like to stretch my relaxers and reduce breakage. I was told I was a good candidate but instead of spending $400 at an upscale salon I decided to go to Ulta. (Btw, my last relaxer was 7 weeks ago, and started shedding a lot around 5 weeks)

Well I got the treatment and at first I was pretty excited. But now I'm not too sure. The pros- it's easier to comb though my new growth, less product usage, less drying time. But the con- breakage. Whether it's wet or dry, I'm finding short hairs everywhere and it's more than "normal" for me. I'm at the point where I just see short hairs on my shirts, and I don't even want to touch it. (But I'm always touching my hair)

I talked to the stylists at Ulta, and the head stylist told me to keep using the after care treatments (coppala and pureology products). But I'm very, very freaked out by all this breakage. The whole point of this was to save my hair and now I think I've made it worse. Does anyone have any product recommendations? Something that will minimize the breakage?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been reading so many of your posts on this site and have read some great info but I'm still somewhat lost.

I just got a keratin treatment at Ulta last week because I really would like to stretch my relaxers and reduce breakage. I was told I was a good candidate but instead of spending $400 at an upscale salon I decided to go to Ulta. (Btw, my last relaxer was 7 weeks ago, and started shedding a lot around 5 weeks)

Well I got the treatment and at first I was pretty excited. But now I'm not too sure. The pros- it's easier to comb though my new growth, less product usage, less drying time. But the con- breakage. Whether it's wet or dry, I'm finding short hairs everywhere and it's more than "normal" for me. I'm at the point where I just see short hairs on my shirts, and I don't even want to touch it. (But I'm always touching my hair)

I talked to the stylists at Ulta, and the head stylist told me to keep using the after care treatments (coppala and pureology products). But I'm very, very freaked out by all this breakage. The whole point of this was to save my hair and now I think I've made it worse. Does anyone have any product recommendations? Something that will minimize the breakage?

Im just curious is it breaking all over or in one area? And can you actually determine/pinpoint where?

Give yourself a heavy protein deep conditioner - Nexxus Emergencee, Redkin Force Rescue, and then follow up with Redkin Anti-Snap after each wash.

Also, leave off excessive washing and water treatments - the weaker it is, the more breakage. Wash no more than once a week and follow up with very low manipulation.

Do not attempt to relax while in this state, and if there is heat damage - or the early stages, you will need to wait it out until the breakage subsides.

I would suggest you jump on this immediately.

The breakage is all over. When I was detangling it to do a rollerset (which I quickly abandoned because I didn't want to unnecessarily break off any more strands) I noticed they didn't all come from one place. I also noticed some of my hair feels a lot more weaker when wet.

Hijabiflygirl- Would aphogee 2 step protein treatment work as well? Or Nexxus Aloxxi Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor? And to follow up, could you recommend a good moisturizer? I've read that the Redken Anti Snap can make my hair dry so and I'm wondering if my NTM leave in cream is enough to keep up the moisture during the week.

To add insult to injury, Ulta sent me a 20% coupon online this morning. I'll use it to rescue my hair.

Thanks for any and all your suggestions!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've read in the past that pureology products are NOT good for BKTs.

http://www.lamasbeauty.com/talk/salon/messages/18269.html

I will see if I can find where I originally read the information...

Last edited:
The breakage is all over. When I was detangling it to do a rollerset (which I quickly abandoned because I didn't want to unnecessarily break off any more strands) I noticed they didn't all come from one place. I also noticed some of my hair feels a lot more weaker when wet.

Hijabiflygirl- Would aphogee 2 step protein treatment work as well? Or Nexxus Aloxxi Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor? And to follow up, could you recommend a good moisturizer? I've read that the Redken Anti Snap can make my hair dry so and I'm wondering if my NTM leave in cream is enough to keep up the moisture during the week.

To add insult to injury, Ulta sent me a 20% coupon online this morning. I'll use it to rescue my hair.

Thanks for any and all your suggestions!

After Poly then I use Humectin for 2 mins. - on that day I do not use Anti-Snap, but use Alter Ego Nourish Spa leave-in. I stopped using NTM long time ago; it wasn't moisturizing (and it was drying) as well as Alter Ego.

Every other week I use Anti-Snap, followed by Nourish Spa then whatever else I would use.

Back