Jheri Juice Retention

I use mine on braids. As for a weave, I don't see why not as long as it's applied to the scalp

I actually just tried it (carefree gold spray). It's different than I thought it would be. It's not like S-curl, which was a little on the greasy side. It's like a spray but it dries immediately. I don't know if that is good or bad but I do like not dripping or having sticky wet fingers!!!:grin:

I've been using Curl Moisturizer (Worlds of Curls-blue bottle mostly) since I've been transitioning (almost a year now) and I love it. I've been wearing Senegalese Twists and Micros most of this time and I noticed that the "juices" really help with retention and my hair is so much softer, more moisturized, and healthier.:yep: I will continue to use curl moisturizer as long as I continue transitioning and even when I become 100% natural.

I baggy every night with my curl moisturizer and alternate between Surge 14 and Infusium 23 for protein.

Last edited:
I've been using Curl Moisturizer (Worlds of Curls-blue bottle mostly) since I've been transitioning (almost a year now) and I love it. I've been wearing Senegalese Twists and Micros most of this time and I noticed that the "juices" really help with retention and my hair is so much softer, more moisturized, and healthier.:yep: I will continue to use curl moisturizer as long as I continue transitioning and even when I become 100% natural.

I baggy every night with my curl moisturizer and alternate between Surge 14 and Infusium 23 for protein.

I'm about to get twist too! hmm, I used to use this stuff a while back, but I have a question about using it on braids. So are you supposed to apply it to the scalp or to the actual length of the braid?

I baggy every night with my curl moisturizer
and alternate between Surge 14 and Infusium 23 for protein.

I just got some s-curl last week after seeing Adora's pix. I tried to baggy w/ a cap but my scalp itched so bad I stratched a hole in the bag. Now I apply it the morning and I really like how it stays moist for days.
How do you baggy the your whole head w/o irritating your scalp?

How did you use this after your BC? Please share.:yep:

I would cowash, spray it on, and then finish with this really light "shine" gel that Sauve has since discontinued. It kept my hair moisturized all day. When I started braiding, I would use it as a braid spray mostly because I was cheap and didn't want to go buy braid spray when I already had this at home.

I'm about to get twist too! hmm, I used to use this stuff a while back, but I have a question about using it on braids. So are you supposed to apply it to the scalp or to the actual length of the braid?

I don't know if you're supposed to or not but I just applied it everywhere (scalp and length) just like I do with regular braidspray. I figured the point was to get as much as possible on my actual hair:rolleyes:

It seemed all right.

Ok, im a little confused :spinning: Soo this is a protein based moisturizer?? is carefree gold and s-curl pretty much the same ?

I was responding to a question about the Carefree in the yellow and red bottle. That one specifically says: "Glycerine and Protein." This is the one that eventually dried out my natural hair, I'm assuming due to its protein content.

I currently use both Carefree Curl Gold and S-Curl and my hair is moisturized with no problems.

Diamond in the back, sunroof top......:yep:

Digging the scene, with a gangster lean...:spinning: lol
I really did love those days..

I guess I better listen up and learn how to juice all over again. I tried S-curl, Wave Nouveau, and Care Free curl. I still have a bottle full of each one left. I must be applying too much, my hair comes out too limp, or too greasy when I use them. My hair hates glycerin, it actually makes it hard and stringy. I'll try diluting them to see if my hair likes them better. Question- Will you get the same moisturizing effects from the Long Aid gel as you would from the juices, or would the gel act more like a sealant if applied on top of the juice???

Digging the scene, with a gangster lean...:spinning: lol
I really did love those days..

I guess I better listen up and learn how to juice all over again. I tried S-curl, Wave Nouveau, and Care Free curl. I still have a bottle full of each one left. I must be applying too much, my hair comes out too limp, or too greasy when I use them. My hair hates glycerin, it actually makes it hard and stringy. I'll try diluting them to see if my hair likes them better. Question- Will you get the same moisturizing effects from the Long Aid gel as you would from the juices, or would the gel act more like a sealant if applied on top of the juice???

Thank you for asking this question, I'm curious about this as well.

In short yes it will help with braids. I am braided right now and when I take some out to redo them my hair is still soft and moisturized. The main ingredients in braid spray are water and glycerine so I don't see why not. I apply it to the length of the braids. I also use infusium in braids for protien.

I classify long aid as juice because it is a curl activator. If you will recall, back in the day you had curl activator spray and curl activator gel. I used to use gel...ahem... I mean I know people who used to use gel. It's not a sealant, it's a moisturizer and a styler of sorts. I usually "seal the deal" with castor oil or shea butter

Last edited:

I apply it to my scalp and the length of my hair.:yep::yep: I noticed that I used to have alot of breakage in the past when my braiders used synthetic hair for my braids. At first, I would blame the synthetic hair for drying out my hair then I tried using Curl Moisturizer. I noticed that I wouldn't have breakage and my hair was moisturized when I took the braids out. Hope this helps.

I don't know if you're supposed to or not but I just applied it everywhere (scalp and length) just like I do with regular braidspray. I figured the point was to get as much as possible on my actual hair:rolleyes:

It seemed all right.

Same here!:yep:

ETA: The moisturizer spray may cause build-up around the base of your braids so I clarify with a baking soda and water solution every 3 weeks or so. (Ratio 2tsp baking soda for every 16 oz of water). This reduces the chance of that gummy build-up at the base of your braids when you take them down.

Last edited:
I just got some s-curl last week after seeing Adora's pix. I tried to baggy w/ a cap but my scalp itched so bad I stratched a hole in the bag. Now I apply it the morning and I really like how it stays moist for days.
How do you baggy the your whole head w/o irritating your scalp?

I really don't have any problem with itching. You may want to add a few drops of Peppermint oil to your SCurl to see if that helps stop the itching.

Oooo Wee! I can't wait until my trip the BSS tomorrow. I got a list of stuff I need! And care free curl GOLD is the first thang!.

Question: Since I use C & G method under my wigs. I have cornrows w/o extensions....am i supposed to substitue the carefree curl for my braidspray/infusium mix??

Day 2 of my S-Curl application to my ends. My ends and hair feel VERY moisturized. But I think next time I'm just going to stick with my ends and not all of my hair.

I have stasoftfro that I need to use up. I will start with that then purchase the s curl when that's done. The weather is getting warmer- this is the right time. Also, everyone is asking for this to be a challenge. OP, why not edit the first post to make it a challenge?

Last edited:
If this become a challenge- I'm in!! I have been trying to find a good moisturizer to use with my shea butter. I mix a bunch of "stuff" together and it works well.. but I am looking for a staple.

Okay but what if you live in a dry place? Like today, it is only 9% humidity.

Glycerin is a humectant. So its will take moisture from one thing and deposit it in another. In these cases it is taking moisture from the air and giving it to your hair. But if your climate is not humid enough it will do the opposite...take moisture from your hair and deposit it in the air, leaving you with dry hair.

This is the problem I struggled with this winter. Spring, summer, and fall were great for my hair (I was using s-curl) but when winter hit and the humidity levels got low it started drying myhair out instead.

If I remember correctly, you need the humidity to be around 60% for a humectant to operate the way we desire-someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Now perhaps the care free curl has something in it that helps prevent this from happening or people are adding other things to help during low humidity times and if so please let me know! lol

LMAO all of the MJ pics in people's siggys on this thread. Now HE had a really cool jheri curl back around the Thriller/We Are The World Days.

Then during the BAD tour, he switched to Wave-Nouveau!!

Michael+Jackson+Hospitalized+K3sZFcFgA8Gl.jpg

Now those were the days :yep:

Ready for The World, they also had some good jheri curls back then too.

readyfortheworld-716827.jpg

I usually co-wash quite frequently and I put gel in my hair mixed with oils and conditioners. I wanted to know how different is this from using either moisturizing or protein gels?

LMAO all of the MJ pics in people's siggys on this thread. Now HE had a really cool jheri curl back around the Thriller/We Are The World Days.

Sooooo OT!!! Girl u took me back with that RFTW - "Let Me Love You Down" (lol)

Michael+Jackson+Hospitalized+K3sZFcFgA8Gl.jpg

Ready for the World...They were the ish back in the day....them are some serious Jheri curl wearing mofos:lachen:...I seriously love this album cover! :grin:

When I had my wave nouveau my hair grew so fast, my head spun. If I can have the same effect on my natural hair, I'd be very happy.:yep:

When I finish with the s-curl, I'm going to switch to the long-aid gel and see how that goes, I was reading some good reviews on it last night.

I just got my first bottle of wave nouveau moisturizing lotion... and my hair has never been so soft at the end of the day... I am just going to make sure I use a build up removing shampoo regularly and this should be great... Adora- Im sold...

Ok, im a little confused :spinning: Soo this is a protein based moisturizer?? is carefree gold and s-curl pretty much the same ?

Me too. Is the carefree gold the one w/protein or the yellow bottle?

All I know is my hair is dry like unlotioned hands..like hay..just drydrydry! I don't want to walk around with that juice smell, but if it can help me with retention and moisture, I don't care. Is it the same scent from back in the day?

Can a water and heavily based glycerin mix be the same stuff as The Juice (said in my mind like the movie announcer)for the most part?

Back