Jheri Juice Retention

Questions:
Doesn't this stuff have a ton of build-up? Esp if you use it everyday?
And I don't get how you can rollerset with it. From what I remember of this stuff, it's like too moisturizing. Greasy even. My hair would totally revert (or maybe that's the look your going for?) I'm confused.

My hair got so sticky from the build up......did me no good, I can not imagine it doing all those things on MY hair. :nono:

People used to say curly perms made their hair grow longer than ever but we all know it was the juice that caused retention.
Just curious.....did you or anyone you know use the same products/routines on natural hair or relaxed hair and get the same resulting length retention.
In other words , treat hair as if you had a curly perm( if you can stand the grease) and acheive the same results?

True, but didn't they also bag their hair?

PJ here... Are all these products basically the same? S-Curl, Carefree Curl and WN?

I think I had a Care Free Curl and a Wave Nouveau at different junctures of my life. :)

S-Curl doesn't have such a strong odor
I tried to by the carefree once
Lawd I took one sniff and I was in Sally's trippin off a baddddd flashback:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I couldn't do, so I got the S-Curl instead. It seems like some ladies mix it with water so maybe you can mix it with water and add peppermint or tea tree to cut the smell
How are you ladies dealing with the smell?? I can't imagine smelling that in my hair all day.

Last edited:
You need to do a search here on sta-so-fro, S curl, care free curl. This has been a staple here for years. All the old heads know about the wonders of glycerine. This is a classic product around here. Some of us use plain glycerine and water.

The PJ in me could not resist.
can some ladies chime in on how they use when they mix it with water. Do you use it as a spray?

What's wrong with using the one in the yellow bottle (pardon my ignorance)? Is there a major difference???

I know for me, the protein was way too much! The first week I used this one, my curls were popping and my hair looked really good, eventually, my hair became dull looking and was very dry. That was my first taste of protein overload. I won't touch that one again. But, perhaps for relaxed heads it's okay.

I'm also calling for a challenge. Adora, would you lead one for us or at least provide the guidelines?

Questions:
Doesn't this stuff have a ton of build-up? Esp if you use it everyday?
And I don't get how you can rollerset with it. From what I remember of this stuff, it's like too moisturizing. Greasy even. My hair would totally revert (or maybe that's the look your going for?) I'm confused.

hey wavezncurlz, i never get the build up becuase i DC every 3 days. i rollerset with it, i fill about 1/3 spray bottle with it, add water and lotta body :yep: my curls come out good everytime.

this is my air dry rollerset

CIMG1164-vi.jpg

and this is after i finger comb it out. it gets really big as you can see:yep:, the heck with staightening my roots, i love the krinkly roots.
CIMG1359-vi.jpg

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification!

I may try alternating between the two...My hair loves protein (I have that spongy, never-completely-dries, type hair) but I can definitely see how everyday use may be too much!

Thanks for the info!!!!!

I know for me, the protein was way too much! The first week I used this one, my curls were popping and my hair looked really good, eventually, my hair became dull looking and was very dry. That was my first taste of protein overload. I won't touch that one again. But, perhaps for relaxed heads it's okay.

I'm also calling for a challenge. Adora, would you lead one for us or at least provide the guidelines?

VERY PRETTY!!!!

hey wavezncurlz, i never get the build up becuase i DC every 3 days. i rollerset with it, i fill about 1/3 spray bottle with it, add water and lotta body :yep: my curls come out good everytime.

CIMG1164-vi.jpg

and this is after i finger comb it out. it gets really big as you can see:yep:, the heck with staightening my roots, i love the krinkly roots.
CIMG1359-vi.jpg

What's wrong with using the one in the yellow bottle (pardon my ignorance)? Is there a major difference???

i just alway used the one in the gold bottle. when i by mistake picked up the yellow bottle it was a different consistency,it was white and creamy:ohwell:

reminded me of the pink oil lotion yuk. I WANTED THE JUICE:grin:

Nice hair Adora, thanks for the tips.

I have the S-Curl spray, I co-wash daily, but I don't see a big difference with it. I was thinking of buying me some Long Aid activator gel for extra dry hair--that is the only activator that worked good with my curl back in the day, it worked better than Worlds of Curls. Its funny you started this thread cause I've been thinking of the same thing about activator. My hair was mopped out with that curl back then. I will go cop me some Long Aid tomorrow, but the thing about it I have to wear my bag :look: oh well, a girl gotta do what she gotta do to make it happen. I know my co-washing daily days will be over once I get on as Adora say the "Juice"!

I was looking at care free curl in BSS yesterday while picking up conditioner. If there is a challenge then I want in

Adora - Do you think I use while in cornrows with no extensions ad well. Like mix it in with my leave-in?

CIMG1164-vi.jpg

CIMG1359-vi.jpg
Wow Adora! I can't believe how silky your curls look after roller setting and air drying with jheri juice...very beautiful and BIG! I just love love love it!!!:love4:
Def sign me up if there's going to be a JJ challenge. I already have lots of vegetable glycerin, can I just use that mixed with water and infusium23 or is there something extra in the JJ?

I agree with the ladies who think this should be a Challenge :) I'm ready to go out and buy me a gold bottle of Care Free Curl, LOL!!!!!!!
Come on Adora start a Jheri Juice Challenge pleeeeeaaassseee :grin:

I am also a "JJ" fan. I started using S-Curl No Drip, and I fell in love. My TWA stays soft and moisturized all day but not wet. My curls also pop more since I have been using it. It think when I was using shea butter before it was too heavy for my hair. But this is perfect for me. Three cheers for Jheri Juice!!!!

I want in on a challenge if there is one. I used to use the juice after I did the bc and had really good growth but then I became a pj and I hardly stuck with anything for more than a few weeks. I need to revisit this stat and make it a staple.

Okay...so how are you all using it? After washing and conditioning? Are u using it daily? What kind of styles - bunning?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to figure out how I am going to incorporate it...I always wear my hair out

bump........

Okay...so how are you all using it? After washing and conditioning? Are u using it daily? What kind of styles - bunning?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to figure out how I am going to incorporate it...I always wear my hair out

I still co wash almost daily and I spray S-Curl No Drip in after I rinse the conditioner out, then I shake and go.

I have always used Scurl in the blue and white bottle. As a relaxed head, now as a transitioner, and I'm sure I will continue to use it when I'm fully natural :)

I luv it!

CIMG1164-vi.jpg

CIMG1359-vi.jpg

Gotcha! You are using the lottabody with it and you are cool with the krinkly roots. That's why I was asking about the look you are going after.
Thanks for explaining.

I never had the same luck with JJ. But I'm older (a child of the 70's and 80s) and remember the JJ days and the product. I never liked it back then. Maybe it's changed but something in me won't allow me try it again. But it works for you and that's cool!

I just starting "juicing" this past month. You can juice with any hair texture. I use it now as a natural and it does stretch my 4b hair and make it easier to twist or braid. When I was relaxed, it would wet my hair first and then apply my moisturizer. Spray moisturizers like Care Free Curl were my fave, although I didn't use Care Free back then. I used Blended Beauty Silk Shake, She Scent it Moisture Mist, Curls Quenched curls and Africa's Best Kids Organics products. I never paid attention to whether or not it grew my hair. I just know that it did keep my hair very soft and moist.

I love long aid for extra dry hair with EXTRA glycerine. The smell fades away after a period of time and my twists stay soft for a week. It also is good for wash n go's when used in conjunction with Eco-styler. I've used this combo for dry styling too.FABulous! my hair is soft but defined.

Back