Jheri Juice Retention

This is interesting. I never had a JC, nor did any women in my immediate family, but I've been using S-Curl and Care Free Curl Activator Gel on relaxed, transitioning, natural, texlaxed hair for years. I still use S-Curl several times per week, but I water it down a bit and add EVOO so it's not so thick coming out of the spray bottle.

I have both versions of S-Curl spray (blue & white bottle "no drip", and blue & gray bottle "texturizer" spray). The "no drip" is what I use several times per week. It keeps my hair so soft and moisturized, but doesn't make it so soft that it's mushy (if that makes sense). It will always be a staple of mine, and I'd love to join a challenge and try the CareFree Curl Gold too. :)

ETA: Imma have to find that Long Aid Glycerine Gel too. What stores do you ladies find it at? Walgreens? Rite Aid? CVS?

Long aid is at walgreens for $6. You get two pounds of the stuff! I've also heard of it being at Walmart, never personally bought it there. I like the one in the green container

I too, love the juice! I used to use carefree gold, but switched to S-curl. I think my fine hair likes S-curl better.I just add a little rosewater to mine for extra moisture and a pleasant smell. I use it on my DD's hair too and couldn't go without it.

People give me strange looks when they see me snatching up all of the S-curl, but oh well. As a texlaxed head who does frequent cardio and CW'g, this prodcut has been a staple for moisturized buns and silky braidouts. :lick:

S-Curl doesn't have such a strong odor
I tried to by the carefree once
Lawd I took one sniff and I was in Sally's trippin off a baddddd flashback:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I couldn't do, so I got the S-Curl instead. It seems like some ladies mix it with water so maybe you can mix it with water and add peppermint or tea tree to cut the smell

I'm just the opposite. I can hardly stand the smell of S-cUrl but Carefree seems to have hardly no odor to me.

Nice hair Adora, thanks for the tips.

I have the S-Curl spray, I co-wash daily, but I don't see a big difference with it. I was thinking of buying me some Long Aid activator gel for extra dry hair--that is the only activator that worked good with my curl back in the day, it worked better than Worlds of Curls. Its funny you started this thread cause I've been thinking of the same thing about activator. My hair was mopped out with that curl back then. I will go cop me some Long Aid tomorrow, but the thing about it I have to wear my bag :look: oh well, a girl gotta do what she gotta do to make it happen. I know my co-washing daily days will be over once I get on as Adora say the "Juice"!

yea, that Long Aid did it for me too back in the day.

People used to say curly perms made their hair grow longer than ever but we all know it was the juice that caused retention.
Just curious.....did you or anyone you know use the same products/routines on natural hair or relaxed hair and get the same resulting length retention.
In other words , treat hair as if you had a curly perm( if you can stand the grease) and acheive the same results?

Well I will say this, I have been using S Curl activator on my ends and it has helped with hair retention! I use it on my ends everyday and seal with an oil and it has worked fab!

I think it's just simply the moisture that keeps the ends or hair healthy. The S Curl has glycerin and B vitamins and Panthenol so that's most likely hair would grow with the curls.

It's all about moisture :yep:

Since I'm trying to figure out the whole roller wrap thing, I think I'll add some activator to my setting lotion as well!

Add me to the challenge!

Adora, would you lead a Jheri Juice challenge for us or just provide the guidelines?

Do ya'll remember when Vibe Magazine used to have their "Juice" issues? It was like, "Whose got the juice?" Juice as in power.

Adora, I also wanted to add that you have the same type of hair my mother once had. Beautiful, thick, and massive. Unfortunately she lost it all due to psoriasis on her scalp. She now rocks a TWA with the cutest ringlets, but she's still distraught about not having her long mane any more and wears wigs to hide it. I'm trying to help build her confidence in her hair in it's new and natural state, but it's taking some time.

Hmm... I'm trying to wear my hair out (in cute updos with my carved horn hairtoys) and I am really tempted to try this jj out. S-curl was too sticky and heavy on my hair, but maybe some of the other jj brands would work better.

I am :lovedrool: @ that air dried rollerset and wondering if I shouldn't do the same... I bet my hair could look cute like that.

WHY do you ladies insist on luring me back into PJ-dom??? :spank:

Yes, it was. There were so many people riding around town wearing hospital caps.:lachen: It was a very special time . . .
OMG! Really?!?! I'm from the deeppppppppp south and I don't remember this at all! I do remember the JC wearing boys at school having drippy juice all over their necks and shirts...and the activator smell wasn't very compatible with their sweatiness from the Ga heat. It caused a lot of those poor boys to have really bad BO and acne...man did they smell gross.:barf:

Last edited:
OMG! Really?!?! I'm from the deeppppppppp south and I don't remember this at all! I do remember the JC wearing boys at school having drippy juice all over there necks and shirts...and the activator smell wasn't very compatible with their sweatiness from the Ga heat. It caused a lot of those poor boys to have really bad BO and acne...man did they smell gross.:barf:

Oh yes. People were wearing juicy hospital caps and diggin' the scene with a gangster lean, wooh-hoo-ooh. LOL. I remember the smell, too.

I love long aid for extra dry hair with EXTRA glycerine. The smell fades away after a period of time and my twists stay soft for a week. It also is good for wash n go's when used in conjunction with Eco-styler. I've used this combo for dry styling too.FABulous! my hair is soft but defined.

That's whats up! I know Long Aid for EDH was the #1 staple for my head, I am making a store run for it today, I know I may have to look in a few stores before I find it but I don't mind. I have never heard of Eco-styler, I'll check that out too. I love the smell of Long Aid. Thanks for your input on LA.

Long aid is at walgreens for $6. You get two pounds of the stuff! I've also heard of it being at Walmart, never personally bought it there. I like the one in the green container

You said that right: The Green Container. The blue one never did a thang for my head. If a person can't find the Long Aid, the better alternative is Worlds of Curls--this is what worked for me. I was a straight up Jheri Curl wearer back in the day as a teen, my mama would switch up my curl activators :perplexed I mean I tried about everything, but we always ended up with the cheapest one on the market back then and it was Long Aid for Extra Dry Hair with the green writing on the container below. Thanks Afrikurl for telling me where I can find it. On my way in a few.
long_aid_activator_gel_extra_dry_hair_reviews_135105_raw.jpg

I used S-curl and thought it was a hot greasy mess :nono:

Maybe I'll pick up some Carefree curl :scratchch:

if anything, the "greasy" moist-ness might be good for buns and twists :yep:

Oh yes. People were wearing juicy hospital caps and diggin' the scene with a gangster lean, wooh-hoo-ooh. LOL. I remember the smell, too.

Girl you remember that, LOL. Yep we had it going on back in the day in the 80's. It was the norm to see people out driving with plastic caps on their heads preserving the "Juice" making sure it was "Activating", and after you washed out all the build up which was about a month or longer you had to go through the dreaded dry hair stage for about a good week or a little more, so that is why people was rocking the plastic caps 24/7, and we even doubled them up, oh and they better not have that yellow build up in your cap or you were going to get looked at crazy. When they came out with the colored plastic caps later on it was about too late, the Curl was played out. And it was a known staple to keep your activator spray on you too :yep: to rejuvinate it when it would get dry, I loved the Worlds of Curls Spray for extra dry hair the best. Also we only picked our heads out when we first was rejuvinating the curl, then we let the curl activator and spray do its magic. I'm going to just cop the WOC spray, and some Long Aid activator today, I already got the caps, I will update in a week or so.
thum_SHEEN-SP-EXT-161.jpg

Okay but what if you live in a dry place? Like today, it is only 9% humidity.

What do you mean? I know the activator keeps your hair from drying out, but the key I found is that you have to keep it in your hair on a consistent basis. So, if you apply it in your hair and you live in a dry place then you should be fine, but remember to keep some curl activator spray on you since your humidity is so low. Like I said I love the Worlds of Curls activator spray for extra dry hair in the pic above. HTH

Last edited:
I know for me, the protein was way too much! The first week I used this one, my curls were popping and my hair looked really good, eventually, my hair became dull looking and was very dry. That was my first taste of protein overload. I won't touch that one again. But, perhaps for relaxed heads it's okay.

I'm also calling for a challenge. Adora, would you lead one for us or at least provide the guidelines?

Ok, im a little confused :spinning: Soo this is a protein based moisturizer?? is carefree gold and s-curl pretty much the same ?

You said that right: The Green Container. The blue one never did a thang for my head. If a person can't find the Long Aid, the better alternative is Worlds of Curls--this is what worked for me. I was a straight up Jheri Curl wearer back in the day as a teen, my mama would switch up my curl activators :perplexed I mean I tried about everything, but we always ended up with the cheapest one on the market back then and it was Long Aid for Extra Dry Hair with the green writing on the container below. Thanks Afrikurl for telling me where I can find it. On my way in a few.
long_aid_activator_gel_extra_dry_hair_reviews_135105_raw.jpg

:yep: This is exactly what my mom uses. I need to steal some from her. She doesn't like the one with the blue on it, because she says that it doesn't moisturize as well as this one does.

I want in on a challenge if there is one. I used to use the juice after I did the bc and had really good growth but then I became a pj and I hardly stuck with anything for more than a few weeks. I need to revisit this stat and make it a staple.
How did you use this after your BC? Please share.:yep:

Back