Is your hair shorter than your "Earlobe" or less than 6 inches long?

Is your hair currently...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaBelle

Hey y'all!

I was challenged by a LHCF member, Pretty_O8, to start this thread after a lengthy conversation about - of all things - hair length. Her hair is shoulder length while I am enduring a major set-back and am back to a TWA...:(

While we are all striving to have healthy, long hair, many of us are at the very beginning of the journey. While Shoulder, APL, BSL, Waist, Classic lengths may be a future goal, for many of us the goal of getting our TWAs to reach our Earlobe seems like a respectable place to start. :) Sometimes length isn't the immediate goal - increasing the strength and vitality of your hair may be.

There are many challenges exclusive to our hair at this stage. What are some of your personal hair challenges, issues, concerns? What has your regimen been? How is it working for you? What is your immediate hair goal?

Best,
BamaBelle

I have definitely been at that stage as a relaxed head (see cut in siggy). Although I did not, regretably, sport a twa, I believe the challenges of those "in between" stages are just as frustrating across all hair types, relaxed and natural. One thing that I found that helped were hair accessories, various barrettes and clips. It allowed my to position those "akward" hair lengths and pieces of the hair to create different looks and styles. Also what helped me (which may not be a favored method on this board) is keeping my hair cut in certain areas more as I allowed other areas to grow out. Patience is your ultimately your best friend. Once you find it, time flys by and you'll be looking back at old pictures proud of how far you've come along.

My hair has 2 lenghts. I damaged my hair fr a color so I had the damaged hair chopped off. I think I gained 1/2" since my Bc in my nape, the shortest length and in my crown and sides, the longest length. My goal is to have healthy texlaxed hair first. then I'll worry about how long my hair is.

I'm probabaly right around 7 inches now. I have natural hair. It has appeared the same length since March. I got a haircut a couple of weeks ago and that has given it a bit more shape, but it's still not long enough to do this, and too short to do that. That's why I have become the queen of headbands, clips, and scarves. It's easier than dealing with relaxed hair at this stage, but it's still awkward. I am looking forward to the front and sides reaching the end of my earlobe, unstretched. I'm hoping I can achieve this by my birthday next February.

Last edited:
I voted because Im only counting my natural hair. I have about 4-6 inches of natural hair.

What are some of your personal hair challenges, issues, concerns?
Holding off my BC for another year.

What has your regimen been?
Crown and Glory with minimum modifications.

How is it working for you?
Well

What is your immediate hair goal?
To promote healthy hair growth until I BC.

I'm bascially at 6" (maybe 7" in some places).
I don't really have any issues or concerns. My hair seems healthy and happy, in large part thanks to the tips I learned on the hair boards during my transition. I do miss having enough hair to just throw back into a ponypuff, but that's outweighed by the pleasure of having shorter hair.

What has your regimen been? How is it working for you?
I CW/CR almost daily. Clarify/lo poo once a week or once every two weeks. I usually (but not always) moisturize at night as well. Sleep on a satin pillowcase, but rarely cover my hair. Usually do a shake-n-go on a boho routine (no styling products) but lately I've been adding gel/curl activator just to keep my hair wet longer and form a barrier between my hair and the heat of the sun. I use mostly natural hair products and oils--although my gels aren't. Just started getting my diet back on track this week, so we'll see how that goes. My routine seems to be working fine for me. I don't use any "growth enhancers."

What is your immediate hair goal?
Just to put my hair into a big old pony puff. And to learn how to flat twist.

Hey y'all!

I am texturized (I always considered myself textlaxed until I was recently corrected) and at TWA after two "trim" mishaps. :wallbash: I am now focused on making certain that I have a good balance of moisture and protein so that my hair stays stong and healthy. My immediate length goal is simply to reach my earlobe and into a bob.

Since I have lost a considerable amount of length due to these haircuts:mad: , my regimen must change accordingly. I plan to sport a Wash n' Wear, co-washing on Wednesdays, shampooing on Saturdays. I will moisturize and style with the same products I did when I first BC'ed: Wave Nouveau Moisture Mist (instead of thoroughly wetting my hair daily), Wave Nouveau Humectant and WGO on my ends. I plan to do this for the next two to three weeks then have my hair braided or two-strand twisted with extensions (and follow C&G to ensure that my strands don't succumb to dryness again).

At any rate, I suppose my main reason for this thread is to really get a feel for how many ladies are in the same place as me and hope that we can offer support to one another in meaningful ways.

so1913 said:
I have definitely been at that stage as a relaxed head (see cut in siggy). Although I did not, regretably, sport a twa, I believe the challenges of those "in between" stages are just as frustrating across all hair types, relaxed and natural. One thing that I found that helped were hair accessories, various barrettes and clips. It allowed my to position those "akward" hair lengths and pieces of the hair to create different looks and styles. Also what helped me (which may not be a favored method on this board) is keeping my hair cut in certain areas more as I allowed other areas to grow out. Patience is your ultimately your best friend. Once you find it, time flys by and you'll be looking back at old pictures proud of how far you've come along.

so1913,

Thank you for posting all those photos! Sistah, your hair has definitely come a long way!:eek:

I'm PM'ing you for a favor...

Best,
BamaBelle
1920!

I'm in the same situation. Since I discovered that I can do wash and goes (shake and goes?) whatever it's called I will be doing that more now. My weaknessis the blowdrier and ceramic flatiron. I do it once a week granted with success but I want to start wearing my hair au natural on a regular basis. Sigh...who knew hair could cause so much drama.

I have a bob where the back is shorter than the top. I was previously wearing it washed weekly and flatironed, but it was becoming a bit of a hassle to constantly worry about my hair.

Though I love the freedom of natural hair, I need the managability of relaxed hair. So, I just do daily CWes w/ my texrelaxed hair and pull it back. Though it's not long enough for a real bun, I have managed to pull it back into something neat and soft.

I'm curious... Okkkayy... I'm nosey! What kinds of products are y'all using? Are there products raved about on the Board that just ain't workin' for ya? What are styles y'all are able to wear? so1913 suggests using clips and barrettes... which is definitely a good idea! Those whose hair is natural/texturized, can you pull your hair back into a puff? How do you do that?

*Bre~Bre* said:
I'm in the same situation. Since I discovered that I can do wash and goes (shake and goes?) whatever it's called I will be doing that more now. My weaknessis the blowdrier and ceramic flatiron. I do it once a week granted with success but I want to start wearing my hair au natural on a regular basis. Sigh...who knew hair could cause so much drama.

Lookin' good! Thick and healthy! But I also like your wash n go's too!

I have about one inch of natural hair. Up until about a month ago I had neck length relaxed hair. I was frusturated with the breakage and thin ends and edges and cut it all off.
One of my challenges is keeping my natural hair moisturized. I'm at a loss of what products to use and how often. I was doing co-washing and thought that was working until I parted my hair and saw a nasty white dry patch. I'm also having issues with breakage. Not an alarming amount but it is there.
So far my regimen justs consists of weekly shampooing and deep conditing with KeraCare products. Length doesn't matter for me right now I just want healthy hair.

Incredible1ne said:
I have about one inch of natural hair. Up until about a month ago I had neck length relaxed hair. I was frusturated with the breakage and thin ends and edges and cut it all off.
One of my challenges is keeping my natural hair moisturized. I'm at a loss of what products to use and how often. I was doing co-washing and thought that was working until I parted my hair and saw a nasty white dry patch. I'm also having issues with breakage. Not an alarming amount but it is there.
So far my regimen justs consists of weekly shampooing and deep conditing with KeraCare products. Length doesn't matter for me right now I just want healthy hair.

You might want to try some of the natural lines like Oyin, Asha's, or Qhemet Biologics(my personal fav) I find that natural products work best for my hair since I'm natural. Oh and try spritz, the most common one is a mis of olive oil, water, and conditioner. It shouldn't be difficult to keep an inch of hair moisturized

There are many challenges exclusive to our hair at this stage.

My challenges are to find a regiman, that I can stick with. I think that I have finally found one. I made an MSM soultion for my scalp last night. I believe this will keep my hair moisturized.

My issue is that I have thin spots in my hair that don't seem to go away.

What has your regimen been? How is it working for you? What is your immediate hair goal?

My regiman "was" cowashing with MNT and having all kinds of MTG concoctions. I also was using S-curl. But it smells too much like chemicals and I do not like that smell. So I made an MSM solution and I am gong to add eos to it. My hair as grown some I have one piece of hair behind my right er that is about 3 inches compared to the rest of my head 1/2 - 1 inch. It is just "my personal thing."

progress.jpg

Last edited:
Incredible1ne said:

When I first BC'ed I was lost! :eek: I started using Wave Nouveau products(I didn't think they were still on the market) including the Moisturizing Mist (so that way I didn't have to co-wash so often), the Moisturizing Lotion and Daily Humectant. I sealed the moisture with WGO on the ends (and the scalp). My hair was well moisturized and easy to manage.

What products are other folks using?

Hey, BamaBelle! Hi, everybody....

I have maybe about 2-3 inches of natural hair/new growth and about maybe about 2-4 inches of relaxed ends....

I have a spiral bob sew-in weave right now. a little bit of hair out in the front.... I'm finally getting it together! I shampoo w/CON Ultra Nourishing shampoo and conditioner; I like Aubrey Organics' Mandarin Jelly and Fantasia IC's gel. I slick it down in the front and wear a plastic headband.

My immediate hair goal is to grow my natural hair out like to about 6 inches to big chop.

Probably the best thing I learned to date is that my hair does not like oils (of any kind) directly on hair (wet or dry). Oils that I may get unintentionally is when it's in products, e.g., conditioners, etc. and hopefully they're low on the list. I'll put jojoba oil in a pre-poo/deep treatment, but I wonder the necessity of that. But avoiding oils has definitely been a plus to maximize moisture for me. BTW, I need to get a trim...it's been way too long....

Last edited:
It's so strange: I had this very detailed (as y'all know my posts are usually "longwinded" :) ) post prepared and the server did something weird... again... and I wasn't able to send the durn thing! *sigh*

But, essentially, I wanted to thank RelaxerRehab for sticking with us ;) and tell Tishee and Ms.Gafeney that I, too, am struggling with styling this short do! *ugh!* So1913 has suggested clips, barrettes, etc. and I'm down with that. The Journey becomes most frustrating when I compare my hair to someone else's who has incredible length (BSL, etc). and I'm not there yet. Which is what prompted this thread. I figured, "I can't be the only one struggling like this... Frustrated that I don't see anyone "who looks like me"....

...Anyway (see, gettin' longwinded again!), let's see if we can post some photos of cute styles to motivate one another... Let's keep this thread going... At least, if anyone is finding it helpful.

Best,
BB

Hello, all! I am currently natural (4 a/b) with about 2-3 inches of hair all over. Before I did the BC in February, I was at shoulder-length. I do miss longer hair, but am hoping this go round that I will have healthier hair, whether I stay natural or decide to relax.

------What are some of your personal hair challenges, issues, concerns?

My own challenge is maintaining moisture. My hair is very dry!

------What has your regimen been? How is it working for you? What is your immediate hair goal?

Regimen? We're supposed to have a regimen?? *laugh* I have nothing, kids! I cw and add WGO for the little bit of moisture that I do have. It's not working well for me. My immediate goal is to combat dryness and thereafter to maintain nice hairstyles while my hair grows out.

I'm very excited about this thread. It is hitting questions that I had and was gonna post.:yay: Anyhow, since my BC involved shaving my nape close to bald, my hair is not even all over. I've had to settle with daily wash n gos.:ohwell: The good news is that my hair in the nape has grown one inch since I started my potent La india creme mixed w MN and MTG. I've also started to use shampoo abit more since my light texlax 3 weeks ago. I've also been doing scalp massages after my leave ins. I use Elucence MB cond as a leave in and Pantenes R&N poo. I think its time 2 change this because my hair is not that happy with it. Any suggestions?

You know your question didn't go too well with me man.:lachen: I realized that while my hair is a few inches pass earlobe I don't think its more than 6 inches. I have a little chicken head:perplexed .

I voted without reading the question correctly. When I got a really nice cut, I used Nexxus and Joico products almost exclusively. I had to go to the salon more regularly because short hair with straggly ends is not a good look. It was a relaxed bob that hit the nape in the back and skimmed my chin on the sides.

DDtexlaxd said:
I'm very excited about this thread. It is hitting questions that I had and was gonna post.:yay: Anyhow, since my BC involved shaving my nape close to bald, my hair is not even all over. I've had to settle with daily wash n gos.:ohwell: The good news is that my hair in the nape has grown one inch since I started my potent La india creme mixed w MN and MTG. I've also started to use shampoo abit more since my light texlax 3 weeks ago. I've also been doing scalp massages after my leave ins. I use Elucence MB cond as a leave in and Pantenes R&N poo. I think its time 2 change this because my hair is not that happy with it. Any suggestions?

DD, I had been using Elasta QP Conditioning Creme Shampoo exclusively for nearly 8 months. Although folks rave about it on the Board, I just didn't get the moisturizing I thought I'd get with it but, I stuck with it because I had the BIGGGG bottle of it... Then I tried ORS Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo... Not screaming mi-mi's about that one either. I used an old friend tonight after my attempted textlax (another story...) - Mizani BotaniPhying Conditioning Shampoo was great! But, let me try it again at my next shampoo and I'll give a more informed report! Now, about that textlaing fiasco... !

Last edited:
Up until approx. 3 hours ago, my hair was texturized with Affirm Sensitive and Dry Scalp relaxer (last touch-up in April). Everyone knows I had been struggling with dry-end clusters and had succumbed to two botched "trims" in attempt to rid my head of these clusters and ended up losing a lot of my length I had worked so hard to gain since my August BC.

After many deep conditionings, going to bed with conditioner/moisturizers/plastic caps overnite, those botched trims, stopping my MTG application, leaving Humecto alone... I came to the thinking that the dryness may have been caused by UNDERPROCESSING and/or using the Affirm (which some believe can cause dryness)...

Since it was time to touch-up anyway, I figured this was as good a time as any to switch brands. I polled the Board and didn't get any firm preferences so I went with what had worked in the past: Mizani. WHAT A MISTAKE. Even though I had the product on my hair for a total of 7 minutes (from beginning of application to going to the sink to rinse) and I ended up with nearly BONE STRAIGHT hair! *sigh*

So now, I'm really needing to make adjustments to my life... After more crying and anger, I've just decided to go with it and join the Dominican Salon challenge for the next few months and see what kind of length I get. Maybe with their techniques I can gain some length and finally begin cutting the back so that the entire head grows more uniformly and into a bob - which has been my aim all along!

*sigh* See, this is why having a separate thread/something/anything for folks whose hair is shorter than 6 inches or so is so important.

:kiss: ((Hugs)) to my sister BamaBelle. I know it's hard to suffer a setback.

???? Have Dominican Salons been shown to maintain growth? I thought they were good for getting hair straight with body? :confused:

Thanks Cheleigh! I appreciate you. You were a blessing this morning... Remember that!

My experience with Dominican Salons compared to Black Salons is that Black Salons do a better job of styling my hair when it's cut short but use too many products and the hair has no body... Dominican Salons do a better job of conditioning and styling the hair to give body and volume.

I noticed that my hair grew faster when I frequented DS's opposed to BS's. And I am a faithful customer, going every week! EVERY WEEK. I think it may be the conditioning, for the most part... And the fact that the BS's keep cutting your hair to maintain the style... Just my experience.

BamaBelle said:
When I first BC'ed I was lost! :eek: I started using Wave Nouveau products(I didn't think they were still on the market) including the Moisturizing Mist (so that way I didn't have to co-wash so often), the Moisturizing Lotion and Daily Humectant. I sealed the moisture with WGO on the ends (and the scalp). My hair was well moisturized and easy to manage.

What products are other folks using?

Right now I'm using Sta Sof Fro. I was using S Curl but I could not take the jheri curl smell. Sta Sof Fro has a smell too but it's not as potent as the S Curl spray. What does it mean to seal moisture in? Maybe that's where I'm going wrong...

tishee said:
me too! It is so frustrating.:mad:

Your hair is really growing. It is to your earlobes? What are you doing for your hair? My hair is not growing at all. (it seems)

Back