Is natural hair a middle class phenomenon for 18 to 25 year olds?

laurend

I was wondering that last night. I drove by a club and the girls were striking, they all had ultra mini dresses on, with 6 inch heels and long hair weaves to their waist. I didn't see one natural in the crowd.:lol: Now when I drive by a university, I always see a natural here or there, but maybe I'm wrong. Do you see lower income girls wearing natural hair?

i say yes.....the entertainment industry promotes smooth, straight, silky strands as beautiful and glam, so it continues to be accepted by society at large.

I know its Sunday and all but how did you come up with lower income girls? Lower income girls attend universities in droves and the clubs too. I think I kinda understand what you are trying to ask. I think the natural hair thing maybe regional, a personal quest and sometimes due to circumstance. I'm in L.A I see mo weaves than real hair all day everyday. The only time I see a lot of younger naturals or kinky girls is at certain concerts/events.

Most of the younger women I know that are natural in college is because they cannot afford all that upkeep plus their education takes center stage ova some horses hair. LOL

I went to Tampa last year around this time and I did not see even one black female with natural hair. Actually i didn't see one female w/o a weave, in my few days there.

I see a lot of naturals in the business professional world as well as college. I think its an education thing. Women are being educated about their hair and chemicals; and how to better care for their hair w/o the chemicals.

The "lower income" statement makes lots of sense. yes lower income females do go to school but what's really and truly the percentage. I work in social services for the government and its not very high at all. Income raises your ability to become more aware of various things (via computers, better education, trips, social groups). The more you're exposed to, the more choices you have to make different choices with thingls like hair. Most of these natural hair products are on-line. if you don't have a computer how would you know, how are you going to order?

most households especially poor ones have cable, so BET, MTV rule

I know its Sunday and all but how did you come up with lower income girls? Lower income girls attend universities in droves and the clubs too. I think I kinda understand what you are trying to ask. I think the natural hair thing maybe regional, a personal quest and sometimes due to circumstance. I'm in L.A I see mo weaves than real hair all day everyday. The only time I see a lot of younger naturals or kinky girls is at certain concerts/events.

Most of the younger women I know that are natural in college is because they cannot afford all that upkeep plus their education takes center stage ova some horses hair. LOL

I'm not trying to start anything, I was asking a question, like you said maybe it's an education thing.

I don't think it's solely an education thing. I think there are a lot of factors that play into why someone chooses to wear a weave than be natural. For me, it was a personal choice as I am very educated on the risks of slapping on a relaxer. I've decided that natural is not the route for me.

I also don't understand the association with weaves and lower income. As someone who is middle class and not rockin a natural hairstyle I feel somewhat :ohwell: about that comment.

TopShelf

The "lower income" statement makes lots of sense. yes lower income females do go to school but what's really and truly the percentage. I work in social services for the government and its not very high at all.

Do you have any statistics/numbers that support this?

Income raises your ability to become more aware of various things (via computers, better education, trips, social groups). The more you're exposed to, the more choices you have to make different choices with thingls like hair. Most of these natural hair products are on-line. if you don't have a computer how would you know, how are you going to order?

Have you been in a Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, or a Sally's lately? In addition, you don't have to use "natural" products on natural hair...you can have natural hair and use eco styler gel and cantu shea butter. And most people have a computer, but if they don't they can access the internet from their phone or even the library. Come on now. I don't think that what you are getting at makes any sense.

I'm not trying to start anything, I was asking a question, like you said maybe it's an education thing.
I didn't think you were trying to start anything. I understood the jest of your question.

IMO There is no such thing as a middle class. It was all a bs lie like the housing bubble. :look:

I don't even know how to comment on this.... :nono:

Apparently, lower class black women like me could never dream to be a natural.
Whatever.
It's about education not necessarily class, however some classes have more access to education. But I am inspiring other "low income" black women to be natural. Once they get the visual education then they are more than ready to become natural.

It might be a regional thing more than a middle class phenomenon. I'm honestly not sure. Here in Boston I see professionals with natural hair, but I also pass by the hood and see women (all ages) with natural hair. It may be that people are more aware of their choices and have the knowledge available to make those decisions.

@TopShelf

Do you have any statistics/numbers that support this?

Have you been in a Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, or a Sally's lately? In addition, you don't have to use "natural" products on natural hair...you can have natural hair and use eco styler gel and cantu shea butter. And most people have a computer, but if they don't they can access the internet from their phone or even the library. Come on now. I don't think that what you are getting at makes any sense.

RocStar....1. Calm down...... I don't understand why simple question and answer threads on here get people up in arms. You can state your opinion w/o getting defensive.

The average low income child does not go to the library. When they're on the internet they're not looking up natural hair.

Both of our statements are assumptions but I'm speaking based on my contact with hundreds of low income families a year

Apparently, lower class black women like me could never dream to be a natural.
Whatever.
It's about education not necessarily class, however some classes have more access to education. But I am inspiring other "low income" black women to be natural. Once they get the visual education then they are more than ready to become natural.

Onivana

Are you in that age group of 18 - 25? If yes, you stated you are not middled class, do you see a lot of 18 -25 yr olds in your area with natural hair?

I really cant answer this. I mean I know lots of chicks who are naturals under their weaves too. So just because someone is weaved up doesnt mean they arent natural.

I personally would like to see natural become an epidemic and women going out in droves becoming natural. But I see people of all classes natural, broke to rich, hood to suburbs, video hoe to skripper pole....

I dunno

I really cant answer this. I mean I know lots of chicks who are naturals under their weaves too. So just because someone is weaved up doesnt mean they arent natural.

I personally would like to see natural become an epidemic and women going out in droves becoming natural. But I see people of all classes natural, broke to rich, hood to suburbs, video hoe to skripper pole....

I dunno

I agree but I wonder how many would wear their natural hair to the club?

I wore braids last month longer than my hair and was asked if I was ashamed of my hair. I said hell naw, its hot in Florida and I wanted a break. He (a black studies professor) told me I was bamboozled with fake hair and I was too educated and polished to have "weave" so there is a perception whether we want to believe it or no.

I think we found our Sunday topic.

I grew up in the hood and I have a weave over my natural hair as we speak and I'm college educated.....and I felt no offense to your question

laurend how dare you ask a question that deals with class and education on this forum***wink***....see you in the DR thread

Last edited:
RocStar....1. Calm down...... I don't understand why simple question and answer threads on here get people up in arms. You can state your opinion w/o getting defensive.

The average low income child does not go to the library. When they're on the internet they're not looking up natural hair.

Both of our statements are assumptions but I'm speaking based on my contact with hundreds of low income families a year

TopShelf

1.) I am calm. I didn't think my words were defensive at all. I was asking you clarifying questions based on your statements. If that is defensive, then...

2.) We are not talking about kids in this thread. We are talking about 18-25 year olds.

3.) We all have experiences and those do help mold our opinions and assumptions, which is why I asked if you had any statistics or numbers to reference.

Last edited:
I wore braids last month longer than my hair and was asked if I was ashamed of my hair. I said hell naw, its hot in Florida and I wanted a break. He (a black studies professor) told me I was bamboozled with fake hair and I was too educated and polished to have "weave" so there is a perception whether we want to believe it or no.

I think we found our Sunday topic.

diadall

Why me?:lol:

my thing is, there are a lot of naturals who DO wear weaves too. So i don't feel like u can make an assessment based on what you're seeing on the street or out in clubs. PLus....How do you know who is low income based on observation. I'm just going by what is stated in the OP.

my thing is, there are a lot of naturals who DO wear weaves too. So i don't feel like u can make an assessment based on what you're seeing on the street or out in clubs. PLus....How do you know who is low income based on observation. I'm just going by what is stated in the OP.

You are right but I see that when I go to different neighborhoods in my city. I don't see many 18 to 25 with natural hair.

I have seen more naturals in college settings than outside of them. I see more doll hair worn in my neighborhood than much else. Mainly wack weaves. Lacefronts in all colors and lengths are more popular lately, too, especially light blonde, bright orange and red. So many head patters around the neighborhood :lol: Must be excruciating to have to pat an itchy scalp.

I agree but I wonder how many would wear their natural hair to the club?

I think thats less about money and more about personal perception and where your mind is at about natural hair.

I was natural for several years and still wore my hair straight because I prefered straight hair. But then as I went on my own personal journey I grew to enjoy my natural curls and will now wear a wng to the club.

My friend I've known since 2nd grade went natural before me. But to this day she keeps her hair weaved up or under a LF because to her natural hair isnt professional or something she would want to be seen out and about on a regular basis. But she loves her natural hair, takes great care of it, and brags about it on a regular basis.

So again. I dunno

hmm maybe there is some correlation?: I have no idea.

I will say i see a lot more noticeable weaves (in non-natural styles) when I'm in lower income areas. And more natural hair (or non noticeable natural weaves) other places.

I wouldn't say that means that it's a middle class phenomenon necessarily because what i view is incidental and there are too many variables. :/

Last edited:
Back