Is natural hair a middle class phenomenon for 18 to 25 year olds?

OP, it's a legitimate question. I see what you're saying. I don't know what the definitive answer is, but I do understand the thinking behind the question.

For naturals who protective style under weaves and wigs, why is it that the Asian straight hair is the hair of choice? What's wrong with wearing fake hair that looks more natural?

Coz the selection is not good. What's mostly available is stuff that looks like 3b/3cish texture in limited quantities. I enjoy my curly weave sometimes but the bottom line is it doesn't really look like my hair which is coarse 4b. And the funny thing is people don't notice a thing coz the image of naturals right now is based on loose curls, or textures that can mimic the look of loose curly hair via twistouts, braid outs, etc.

I agree with all of this. I remember being on NP back in 2003 when I was natural and a disproportionate number of women on there had post-grad degrees and a lot of debate threads read like thesis papers :lol:. Obviously most black women don't have masters/Ph.ds but the majority of black women who had constant internet access back then and were interested in the political/social ramifications of natural hair skewed towards those of higher SES or at least the more educated regardless of income.

Natural hair awareness has trickled down and become more mainstream but it's appeal to the college campus arena is just a reflection of its roots.

Yep, I remember those days. :)

For what it's worth most of the black people I live around are comfortable and I don't see a lot of natural heads. If you go to a church or community gathering it will be one or two people. Everyone else has relaxed hair, or wigs, or weaves. Little girls wear braid extensions, but I don't see adults wearing them. I mainly see young men wearing cornrows and locks, etc. So it's also regional thing, not necessarily a class thing.

As Black women, we should all be aware that generalizations, whether about low-income, middle class, educated or not, will get us nowhere. There are several factors in a woman’s hair decisions, just like anything else. Being from the South, I don’t care to fight the humidity. I am working on my JD, so I have no lack of education, but I don’t ever see myself being natural (and I’ve always had internet, have read research about chemicals, not from a low income family). My oldest sister has 3 master’s degrees, and my other sister is finishing her first, and they are also relaxed. I know people who are relaxed for the health of their hair, others don’t care for the upkeep of relaxed hair, and others like the texture of natural hair. We all span every socioeconomic status. All but one of my natural friends wear weaves because it’s easier for them. My mother is relaxed and presses her hair.

The point is, there isn’t going to be one answer. What works for one person isn’t going to necessarily apply to another. We can see people one moment, but if we don’t ask them about their situation, we’ll just be throwing out assumptions that won’t really mean anything.

i see this. when i visit home in NY my natural hair stands out more. it's quite common to see weave or a shabby looking lace front with a razor sharp hair line :lol:

here, i see some undergrads that are relaxed or weaved up but also quite a few that are relaxed. at the grad level or professors? one of the women in my cohort was relaxed for much of the time we were here. i met up with her recently and lo and behold after 7 years she cut it off her relaxed hair. maybe she wanted to start a new chapter as a professor with natural hair. now i can't think of a single sista at harvard (at the grad school) who is relaxed. i know there must be some but they are definitely in the minority.

Hello Everyone! I have seen a lot of younger college ladies( Maybe in their 20's) wearing natural hair. I think a lot of this group is just being themselves. I am not trying to pick on anyone that may be enjoying a relaxer. The natural college group has organizations. Do not ask me to quote where I saw this at. I have seen some younger ladies starting locs at a young age. i did not have that type of natural awareness at their age. I think it is a "this is a who I am" phenomenon.

I think it is a "this is a who I am" phenomenon.
~
^ I agree! I think that a huge part of college is coming into your own as a person, and making changes in your life. So it might make sense that you might see more naturals on a campus than you would in other parts of a town.

I live in a middle class area, but I work in a town that is of slightly higher income than mine. I wait tables at a restaurant chain that recently closed many different locations, so we now have customers who come from surrounding towns of lower income. I very rarely see naturals in the 18-25 range. I don't see many weaves, either. Mostly just relaxed. As a new natural this is something that I am very aware of.:grin: So maybe as others have said, there are too many variables to answer this question.

This was an awesome question, and a great conversation. I'm educated, and middle class...I think I've noticed that there are a lot of naturals in my middle class neighborhood, and less so in working class, or poor neighborhoods. I myself, however, only went natural after all my hair fell out from postpartum hair loss. I only decided to stay natural because I was already here learning how to grow all my hair back, and I didn't want to mess it all up with a relaxer. No grand revelation, or noble intent...things just kinda ended up that way, because I was focused on healthy hair more than anything else.

I don't see this question as being some sort of slight against those who are of a lower socioeconomic status. Instead I see it as possibly being an effect of anomie, which does shape a LOT of our culture, like it or not.

I think it's a personal preference. Who cares if they're low, or middle class. Why should all of that matter when choosing how one likes to wear their hair?

Coilychi
Yes, I understand that but why can't they wear their natural hair to the club. In fact, that probably would have caught some guys attention by being different. Most of the girls in line had long hair weaves.

I suspect (though not being a man who is interested in a 18-25 yo woman, I can't be positive) that most of these younger men prefer the long-weave look, so that's what the women are rocking. I'm not saying *all* men prefer that look, but young guys are pretty susceptible to society's traditional standard's of beauty, unfortunately.

I thought the original question was about natural and hip-length weaves. How did it turn into natural and relaxed?

im from the DMV and in DC and silver spring maryland you see naturals every single place you go. i never thought about what class of women these were but now that i think about it if i go to the club every one has long weave. but i cant say that its because of their class because in the hood the new style is the big curly/natural weaves. so its not natural but its the natural "look".

Hi everyone, im from philly, i consider myself poor and im slightly out of the referenced age group 27 :-(. Anywho. All my friends have been natural since around 23. Thats when i believe Remi surfaced majorly. Thats when we decided we werent the koreans "hustle". We also noticed that everyone with naturally long hair had kicked the creamy crack. So we all put the glue and lye down. Best thing ive ever did. Currently bsl from shoulder. However everytime i turn my head when im out its the same look. Short spandex dress sky high heels 18 inch+ remy weave. To each thier own but im nauseated with it. Everyone looks the same. I think more than "class" or income its more about getting tired. Tired of glue, tired of scalp burns, tired of buying every new product, tired of forking over hundreds to thousands to disrespectful foriegners for another foriegners hair( i say this to reference the non-existant economical boost any of this gives OUR community) but it takes courage to go against the flow. But when they get tired they too will find the readily available knowledge they seek. Thats what i did :-)

Some of this thread reminds me of research for an advertising capstone class I did on the "Naturalista" (natural hair conceptual target market- I named it. :lol:). Some of you actually helped! Thank you :)

For naturals who protective style under weaves and wigs, why is it that the Asian straight hair is the hair of choice? What's wrong with wearing fake hair that looks more natural?

This. I bought two straight wigs last year and I just didn't feel like me in them so I gave them to my mom and aunt. My only protective style of choice for almost a year has been my kinky, curly La Jay wig that I picked apart to look more kinky to match my own hair. This wig is $20 and is literally the bomb.com. :look:

Bottom line is, if women want to buy kinky hair, it is readily available. It's on the same weave sites and costs the same as the remy people are so crazy about, but most people figure if they have to pay so much for it, it has to be straight. If you want straight hair, just say you want straight hair. Don't bs me and say you're protective styling or "just switching it up" because I often wonder when you're gonna switch it up with hair that looks like you own. Just be real about it. You don't want kinky hair.

*Forgive my inner nazi, but the above is for women who NEVER wear their own natural hair out because they always claim to be switching it up.*

22 year old, low income, all natural college student here! I wear my natural hair to the club all the time. I also see others wearing their natural hair to the club as well. But for just as many naturals in college there are twice as many weaved up girls as well. And there are three times even more "fried, dyed and layed to the side" girls. So personally I dont think that college has anything to do with seeing naturals at the club.

I think it has to do with personal choice because I've never once sat in on a class called "wearing natural hair in the club 101". Im glad to know I'm some type of unicorn though. Makes me feel awesome. *trots off down my magical rainbow while whipping my kinky curly mane*

fcuk this thread is making my eyes hurt.

can i get the cliff notes on it??

LOl - honestly it varies. It's an over generalization to say that natural hair is a young, middle class phenomenon coz many young, middle class women are still using relaxers or wearing weaves, etc. Some people are pointing out that they are educated and choose to relax for convenience or coz they like the look. Others are saying it's a regional thing. It's safe to say that quite a few young women on campus are into natural hair or going natural.

I really cant answer this. I mean I know lots of chicks who are naturals under their weaves too. So just because someone is weaved up doesnt mean they arent natural.

I personally would like to see natural become an epidemic and women going out in droves becoming natural. But I see people of all classes natural, broke to rich, hood to suburbs, video hoe to skripper pole....

I dunno

One thing for sure the amount of natural beautiful black women presented in commercial T-V is definately up. Mostly comercials but I like that because they are being presented as normal people in all walks of life. For my teen age daughter to see it and notice this was an improvement for the media.

Nope. Well ... now that I think of it. Most of the girls I know are at an university. But not middle-class by income standards. Hmm...

I see what OP was wondering about. I notice the same phenomenon in my area. There are a lot of video vixen wannabes walking the streets in my neighborhood. I don't think its so much the "main stream" culture affecting them, but the music video culture. They do dress and style themselves like girls in videos and I don't mean India Irie. I think it's at least in part to peer pressure and lower social status in general.

I feel you op:yep:. You should have just called it what it is....LOW income EBT card carrying.....it is weaves, weaves and more weaves for them and natural is NO where in sight. I was in a nail salon and that is exactly what I saw.

I'm low income (my parents are) but I've gone to very high income schools (middle-high-and college). I'm natural and the only type of weaves I've worn or felt comfortable wearing are braid extensions even as a low income girl living in a low income neighborhood and going to a low income school (elementary and part of middle). My cousins who are middle to upper class are either perm girls or weave girls. So, I think rather than it being income that has something to do with it, it's more about culture, how you're brought up, education, who you went to school with/are surrounded with, etc. Most of the people I know or talk to are white or non-black and this definitely affects how I choose to wear my hair, i.e., I am not ashamed of my natural hair but I am a bit embarrassed to wear hair that isn't mine. I do it anyway, though (protective style).

It's definitely not regional because black women from all over the world are choosing to wear their natural hair as per this site. England, France, Sweden etc. where you at natural sistas lol? Your SES is a factor, IMHO, just in terms of having access to information. I don't think age is a factor because I'm 40 plus my mother is 60 plus, we're natural and not alone in this age bracket. There aren't even that many black women where I am, but I still see plenty of naturals, all ages.

Last edited:
Back