Is it just me? Or is anyone else noticing that alot of members are at bsl or approach

• Thread starter Thread starter chica_canella
  • Start date Start date
tsmith said:
The motions moisture plus is a good choice too but watch out na here comes another cheapie but goodie...Suave Professional Humecto Conditioner:D OMG....I love this....I reach for this one instead of my other conditioners for co-washing:)

Here's a few other cheapie but goodies conditioners:

VO5 Strawberries n Cream
Suave Milk n Honey
Queene Helene Shea butter conditioner
Queene Helene Olive Oil conditioner
and there's many, many more:D

Absolutely!!! I love the SP line of conditioners for co-washing, and especially the Hemectant. I also like Suave Tropical Coconut.

Last edited:
GoldenBreeze said:
Absolutely!!! I love the SP line of conditioners for co-washing, and especially the Hemectant. I also like Suave Tropical Coconut.

yep, yep, another cheapie but goodie conditioner. I was talking with a long time member through pm's one time when I first started co washing and I was asking her would mizani moisturfuse be a good conditioner for co washes and she told me why waste that expensive product on co washes, so I was like yah that don't make sense:confused: :perplexed now I use cheapie's and I love it:D

JazzyDez said:
I'm certainly not there yet! but I will be!

I actually think there will always be a good mixture of lengths on this board which is great. There are plenty of ladies who haven't found the board yet and are still struggling with their hair issues. There will always (at least for some decades maybe :look:) be those who are just starting, almost there, and above and beyond their hair length and health goals. The need to share the information that I've learned here will be necessary until it becomes universal information to all black women.

It looks like everyone here is doing great though! I had to change my APL goal in my siggy from may to July. My hair is not growing as fast as I wanted, but it is growing and I am retaining! :D

Neck length, Shoulder length, Armpit length, Waist length, Butt Length, to-da-floor length, Lets get it ladies!:woot:

I definitely agree. It's like a revolving door, everyday theres a newbie and everyday someone is meeting their ultimate goal. We can and we will do this ladies! Keep up the good work.

One day (sooner than later), it will be the norm to see BSL or longer here at LHCF and elsewhere. :yep: It's like the 100th monkey syndrome (no, I'm not calling anyone a monkey) and that has already begun. ;)

Isis said:
One day (sooner than later), it will be the norm to see BSL or longer here at LHCF and elsewhere. :yep: It's like the 100th monkey syndrome (no, I'm not calling anyone a monkey) and that has already begun. ;)
Excuse my ignorance...but what is the 100th Monkey Syndrome?

Wheezy807...your grew so much in a short amount of time!

It is so wonderful to see everyone reaching their goals! I have learned so much since I joined last year. One day soon, I'll be looking around and everyone will be waistlength:D HHG ladies!

It is nice to see it and I'm happy for all of them...I just wish I was one of them...I guess I'm just feeling a little impatient. But everyone is really doing great and I need that inspiration. Thanks everyone for sharing so much.

I noticed this as well! And it's nice to see it because it's proof that we can grow long hair. I plan to be joining the BSL ladies in 08.

dannie_19 said:
CW'ing every other day, and protective styles really helped my hair from S/L to BSL.

I love your hair it is beautiful. Great job!

When I seen honeylemondrops hair it was over. I paid my $5 to be a member. Then I seen that Sylver2 has a similar hair type and I realized great length was truly possible for me. I can't wait to see three years from now where all of the current members length will be. I always remind myself that proper hair care is a lifestyle change not something you can do for a few days, weeks or even months and expect great length.

tsmith said:
yep, yep, another cheapie but goodie conditioner. I was talking with a long time member through pm's one time when I first started co washing and I was asking her would mizani moisturfuse be a good conditioner for co washes and she told me why waste that expensive product on co washes, so I was like yah that don't make sense:confused: :perplexed now I use cheapie's and I love it:D

ITA, I cowash almost daily and it didn't make sense to spend a fortune for it to go down the drain. Now I use Suave & V05 mostly. I do love Humectess and Keraphix and will always pay the money for them, but I only use them occasionally.

tsmith said:
The motions moisture plus is a good choice too but watch out na here comes another cheapie but goodie...Suave Professional Humecto Conditioner:D OMG....I love this....I reach for this one instead of my other conditioners for co-washing:)

Here's a few other cheapie but goodies conditioners:

VO5 Strawberries n Cream
Suave Milk n Honey
Queene Helene Shea butter conditioner
Queene Helene Olive Oil conditioner
and there's many, many more:D

oh, i love suave humectant. i use it as a moisturizer though.:D

Kimberly said:
It is nice to see it and I'm happy for all of them...I just wish I was one of them...I guess I'm just feeling a little impatient. But everyone is really doing great and I need that inspiration. Thanks everyone for sharing so much.

i know it is like that at times. but hey, look at it this way. "Time is going by anyway so you might as well take care of your hair along the way."

I mean, in three years you could be a healthy BSL or be at the same starting point. It's all in what you do over that time period.

JazzyDez said:
I'm certainly not there yet! but I will be!

I actually think there will always be a good mixture of lengths on this board which is great. There are plenty of ladies who haven't found the board yet and are still struggling with their hair issues. There will always (at least for some decades maybe :look:) be those who are just starting, almost there, and above and beyond their hair length and health goals. The need to share the information that I've learned here will be necessary until it becomes universal information to all black women.

It looks like everyone here is doing great though! I had to change my APL goal in my siggy from may to July. My hair is not growing as fast as I wanted, but it is growing and I am retaining! :D

Neck length, Shoulder length, Armpit length, Waist length, Butt Length, to-da-floor length, Lets get it ladies!:woot:

Agree with the bolded. I do what I can to enjoy wherever I am in the journey. I'm not quite APL but I'll get there eventually.

-A

Sweetlikesherry said:
Excuse my ignorance...but what is the 100th Monkey Syndrome?

Wheezy807...your grew so much in a short amount of time!

The Hundredth Monkey originated from a well-known, scientific experiment done in Japan many years ago with monkeys. It demonstrated how they seemed to be connected (see the article below) as I believe we as humans are connected on a deeper, spiritual level. There is much written about The Hundredth Monkey as it applies to humans and it continues to be debated and studied around the world.

In the context of this thread, IMO, I'm saying when we at LHCF, for example, learn these great new techniques for hair care or start growing hair longer and healthier than was thought possible, the knowledge begins to spread exponentially. Soon black women everywhere start growing their hair longer and healthier until it becomes the norm rather than the exception. :)

Consider the allegory of The Hundredth Monkey, which has its basis in a scientific study conducted in Japan for over 30 years. Ken Keyes, Jr., provided the information here.

To track the monkeys, the scientists scattered sweet potatoes on the beach. One day a female washed her sweet potato before eating it. We can assume it tasted more gourmet without the grit and with the salty tang.

Demonstrating this treat for her cohorts, they gradually began washing their potatoes before eating. Eventually the Japanese scientists noted that all the monkeys on that island washed their sweet potatoes.
Significantly, at the same time the monkeys on the other islands began washing their sweet potatoes--despite the fact that they had no direct contact with each other!

This validated the morphogenic field theory: the 'hundredth monkey' was that anonymous monkey whose behavior tipped the scales for the entire culture. The allegory gives hope to people working on themselves and trying to help the planet, wondering whether individual attempts are worth the effort.

They most certainly are. Whether you're singing in a choir, teaching someone to read, sorting cans at the Food Bank or raising funds, you are making a difference.
As German philosopher Goethe encouraged: 'Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.'

Wheezy807...your grew so much in a short amount of time![/quote]

Yeah, i had 16wks of ng when i finally got my touchup. It wasn't a pretty site! LOL! Thanks, i owe it all to you wonderful ladies.

tsmith said:

Exactly, when I stopped using shampoo, I realized it would be to costly to use the good stuff for co-washes.

Looking forward to seeing you at BSL, if you're not already there. I'm getting excited for the end of session one of bootcamp. I'll check my progress then (April 30th). Yeaaaa!!

Re: Is it just me? Or is anyone else noticing that alot of members are at bsl or appr

Serenity_Peace said:
For the ladies who never had long hair before and/or who couldn't get past shoulder length: what did you do to finally break that barrier? If you are now BSL, what was the regimen that helped you the most?

Congratulations!

I was about an inch past shoulder when I joined lhcf, and the first thing that I did that I had not been doing was co-wash. By Jan my hair had dropped to APL. My hair has been longer before, but it hasn't grown that FAST before!

GoldenBreeze said:
Exactly, when I stopped using shampoo, I realized it would be to costly to use the good stuff for co-washes.

Looking forward to seeing you at BSL, if you're not already there. I'm getting excited for the end of session one of bootcamp. I'll check my progress then (April 30th). Yeaaaa!!

Girl, I have about 2 to 3 inches to go:) but I can't wait:)

tsmith said:
as a mositurizer huh...hmmmmmm...so you make a homemade version? Inquiring minds want to know, do tell?:D

No, I don't have a homemade version. I just put it in my hair because I can't really find any great black moisturizing hair products. They are either oil-based or greasy or if they are water-based they don't moisturize as well as Suave Humectant. So, I said hey, I know that it is made for naturally straight haired women to wash out but it works well for me as a moisturizer. I was like, "What's the difference between using it as a moisturizer rather than a conditioner?"

I was telling a friend. They charge us $4.99 or more for a small jar of moisturizer that doesn't even moisturize that well just cause they know we need it. I bought a big bottle of Suave Humectant for like $3. It's at least 30oz. But you know if the black hair companies knew it worked so well they would duplicate it, call it moisturizer and charge $4.99 for 12oz.:cool:

aww I love inspirational threads like these I haven't even been here a year yet and I'm already excited about the possibilities for my hair 3 years from now.

Re: Is it just me? Or is anyone else noticing that alot of members are at bsl or appr

Thanks to Long Hair Care Forum for all we have learn here:D And Congrats ladies on a job well done:)

chica_canella said:
No, I don't have a homemade version. I just put it in my hair because I can't really find any great black moisturizing hair products. They are either oil-based or greasy or if they are water-based they don't moisturize as well as Suave Humectant. So, I said hey, I know that it is made for naturally straight haired women to wash out but it works well for me as a moisturizer. I was like, "What's the difference between using it as a moisturizer rather than a conditioner?"

I was telling a friend. They charge us $4.99 or more for a small jar of moisturizer that doesn't even moisturize that well just cause they know we need it. I bought a big bottle of Suave Humectant for like $3. It's at least 30oz. But you know if the black hair companies knew it worked so well they would duplicate it, call it moisturizer and charge $4.99 for 12oz.:cool:

ITA, I buy the large bottle also, and use it for CO-washes and moisturizing. I just add a little oil to seal, and it's great. When I can catch it on sale at Wal-mart, it's even better. :)

Ayeshia said:
excessive heat usage from the pressing comb when I was natural stopped me from getting below shoulder/apl....and when I was relaxed it was a matter of being too scissor happy because I rarely used heat.

Its awesome to see so many ladies reacing their goals :yep: bsl seems common like shoulder length now :lol:

I was just thinking this to myself recently. Brastrap isn't really that even impressive anymore since it's becoming more common. Pretty soon tailbone length will be the "wow" length!:eek: :lol:

MizAvalon said:
I was just thinking this to myself recently. Brastrap isn't really that even impressive anymore since it's becoming more common. Pretty soon tailbone length will be the "wow" length!:eek: :lol:

Do I hear a challenge?!!!!!!!!;)

TAILBONE LENGTH 2010 HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

As my momma always says, "Nothing beats a failure but a try!"

mscocoface said:
Do I hear a challenge?!!!!!!!!;)

TAILBONE LENGTH 2010 HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

As my momma always says, "Nothing beats a failure but a try!"

I like the way your Mom thinks!:grin:

I am just less and less impressed by brastrap as time goes on. I'm past it myself and when I'm out and about I see more and more black women with brastrap length hair or close to it. When something becomes common, it becomes less special I guess.

MizAvalon said:

:lol: Perhaps as far as the board is concerned. I think most people on here live in places that are heavily populated with black women that are just on a completely differently level. Maybe my perpective is skewed but it's not that rare to see black women with long natural lengths all over NY, the DC/MD/VA area, Cali, ATL, Texas and so forth, of course EVERYWHERE has it's poorly cared for hair, but where I'm from weaves, wigs, ponytails, touch-up's every 5, no longer than 6 weeks because they just 'CAN'T STAND' feeling new growth is the majority. And an inch or 2 past shoulder is called long hair, any longer than that, you're getting studied and checked for tracks. Seriously, Full APL is going to be something serious around my parts and BSL??? And not Domican or half-something..OMG! Lol..But there may always be women that stay stuck behind the frosted glass when it comes to the length and healthiness potential of their hair, I mean we're talking generations of "The Miseducation of Our Hair" I believe this board is slowly changing that though, as we all achieve our goals, so will we pass on our teachings and regimens to our daughters and daughters, daughters for a future of black women that have natural long hair and can go ahead and get a haircut go from texlaxed, to relaxed, to natural and back again and not worry about how long it's going to take to grow her hair back, because she'll know and she'll achieve it.

I'm sorry, ya'll must just scrollpast my posts and I apologize, I'm a writer and an avid essay writer especially on subjects that stimulate my interest. Don't mind me.:cool:

I am trying for BSL before the end of the year. I am a little past shoulder length!

I've noticed that too...there is sooooooooo much beautiful hair on the boards. It lets you know this stuff really works. I feel blessed to be here.

Chayil

Back