Is it just me...or does it seem like there is an overwhelming amount of naturals

PanamasOwn

on the board??

And not just here...but like every 1 in 5 heads I see in Houston are natural now too.... Did I not get the memo???

Everytime I log in, there is a new thread about naturals, everytime I go to the mall it looks half the chicks just BC'ed....

Has the movement begun, and I'm just catching up???? :bud:
Inquiring minds would like to know... :hide:

(that it's just not me, and I'm not crazy)

I was thinking the same thing, Panama. I really notice it in commercials. Seems like every black woman in a commercial is natural now. But it could be that it was always this way and I'm just now noticing because I'm going natural. Kind of like when you buy a new car and you think you're being all original and stuff, only to find out that everyone has your car.

I've been noticing this, too. I remember back in the mid to late 1990's when a lot of women were wearing the Halle Berry pixie cut. It seemed like everyone had gone to the same stylist! :lachen: Now, you see a similar thing with natural and longer hair. Style trend...maybe?

I was just thinking the same thing! I know I want to go natural, but I just hate to start all over.

Yeah like all the commerials have naturals in them and alot of people i see in the mall, school ect have BC'ed. It makes me wonder whats happened in hollywood that they only use naturals now....Nothing wrong with it at all, but just wondering. I wonder if a relaxer is not respectable anymore....(and i also wonder if when relaxers were all over the media, if natural ladies wondered if natural hair wasnt respected, and only relaxed was)Thats what i think has set the tone, that its been all over the media.

But when i see all of these people, it makes me wonder are we all learning about hair....Im hoping that more and more black people are learning about hair and relaxers and choosing to go naturl and BC....Im REALLY hoping its not just a big style thing for some people.

But then again alot of people dont have a reason to be relaxed and just do it for a stlye without any knowledge.

I wonder if relaxers will go out of style....Like in 30 years will there only be a couple of older ladies with relaxers and people will laugh at the thought of having one or using products made for them

Last edited:
on the board??

And not just here...but like every 1 in 5 heads I see in Houston are natural now too.... Did I not get the memo???

Everytime I log in, there is a new thread about naturals, everytime I go to the mall it looks half the chicks just BC'ed....

Has the movement begun, and I'm just catching up???? :bud:
Inquiring minds would like to know... :hide:

(that it's just not me, and I'm not crazy)

I live in Houston, also, and I haven't noticed the trend.

Do you go to Root of You?

I think that's the name. They specialize in natural hair.

You might be right...now that I'm natural...I am always looking at other naturals..wondering how long their hair really is...

But I remember when I first started lurking on LHCF, there was a pretty even balance of relaxed and naturals...Now... its a different story...even Sweetcashew is transitioning!!! And she is has such beautiful hair already...I can only imagine how wonderful here hair will look once she is fully natural...

last week, I recall someone on here doing a poll and at the time I looked at it, 68% had polled in natural, while 17% said they were relaxed...

Yeah like all the commerials have naturals in them and alot of people i see in the mall, school ect have BC'ed.

When i see all of these people, it makes me wonder are we all learning about hair....Im hoping that more and more black people are learning about hair and relaxers and choosing to go naturl and BC....Im REALLY hoping its not just a big style thing for some people.

But then again alot of people dont have a reason to be relaxed and just do it for a stlye without any knowledge.

I wonder if relaxers will go out of style....Like in 30 years will there only be a couple of older ladies with relaxers and people will laugh at the thought of having one or using products made for them

Every black person in a commercial has a natural style. At least 95%.

I've noticed it here in Belgium too:yep:There are all kinds of natural hair sites from different countries too...cool

I live in Houston, also, and I haven't noticed the trend.

Do you go to Root of You?

I think that's the name. They specialize in natural hair.

No. i have never been there...I am too scared to go to a stylist of any kind... I am just getting to know my new hair, and I dont trust anyone to do anything to it... Maybe after a few years, once we get better aquainted with each other, I will let them give me a salon press, so I can get that swang...

I have noticed a lot more Natural heads in the DC area, I thought it was because I have gone natural and I just notice it more. But maybe there is a natural movement happening. When i see woman with natural I tell them how pretty it is, and ask them what made them decide to go natural. I am silly that way I guess, Of course I tell them about LHCF.

Most of the women are like me they just got tired of dealing with chemicals and not liking the results.

Well, I've noticed WAY MORE naturals in LA now than I did when I arrived here four years ago. I would probably see maybe one every several days (loose naturals), now I see a few a week.

Still not on the scale of New York naturals though, but it's a good sign.

I've been trying to tell this really pretty actress girlfriend of mine to ditch her straight-haired wigs and get with an afro one. I told her that even if they forget her name they'll never forget her hair. She'll get more work.

I can't imagine that would ever be the case. But it would be interesting to see--I mean, jherri curls fell completely out of favor after being adopted by a significant percentage of the community at one point.

I do think a majority of print and commerical campaigns featuring black women have those women wearing natural hair/styles. Also, you do see more naturals once you go natural.

I have noticed a lot more Natural heads in the DC area, I thought it was because I have gone natural and I just notice it more. But maybe there is a natural movement happening. When i see woman with natural I tell them how pretty it is, and ask them what made them decide to go natural. I am silly that way I guess, Of course I tell them about LHCF.

Most of the women are like me they just got tired of dealing with chemicals and not liking the results.

The "movement" is that women that are natural tend to stand out from the crowd no matter what they PHYSICALLY look like. There IS something about our hair when we wear it loose, especially with MEN.

You would think you'd put a spell on their a$$ or something. LOL!

I can't imagine that would ever be the case. But it would be interesting to see--I mean, jherri curls fell completely out of favor after being adopted by a significant percentage of the community at one point.

I do think a majority of print and commerical campaigns featuring black women have those women wearing natural hair/styles. Also, you do see more naturals once you go natural.

I've noticed this too.

I have noticed that there are more naturals in the media, but not too many in my everyday life (I live in GA). I would definitely like to see more people celebrating their natural beauty.

For years, I've noticed a lot of loced heads, but not so many loose hair naturals in my area. I'm seeing more now than ever, but still not many.

As for tv...I think it has a lot to do with natural black hair being stylish and also the media appealing to its audience.

hmmmm.

definitely alot more in the media. i have seen alot of women wearing kinky twists but somehow i just don't think it's because they are natural, i just think they're "in style" now (those straight roots tell the story).

i have seen some natural folks and kids around here, not alot at least not as much as i'd expect to see with so many black folks around. they're mostly in locs, not many twists done on natural hair only, plenty of braids but i think the braids are along the same line as kinky twists done on relaxed hair.

i'm sorry if i offend but, there's ALOT of ghetto naturals in the hoods, if you know what i mean. pitball walking, bling wearin', football stadium size rim ridin', saggy pants floppin', gangsta types everywhere :blush:.

I'm too damn old and used up to be called shawty :ohwell: by most of them but that doesn't seem to dissuade them one bit :blush: :wallbash:

most all are still wearing straight/relaxed hair, it's mostly thin, dull and chewed up looking and i still see the occasional jheri curl.

I was just thinking the same thing! I know I want to go natural, but I just hate to start all over.

ITA:yep: After finally getting near APL considering going natural is just too much. Seem like I waited half my life to come THIS far.

Its so funny, cuz I was just thinking about starting this same thread this morning. Seems like the naturals are taking over!

I'm starting to think I'm the only one left relaxed!:look:

Yeah there are a lot more in commercials and tv slots. I haven't that much in print work, but that could be because they just aren't featured in any of the magazines I am reading.

When it comes to seeing them in my everyday travels, I say no. When I see another loose natural here, I feel like we are part of a special sorority. I see a lot of people loced (I used to be one of them), but not as many loose naturals.

Yeah there are more natural heads coming out...but in my everyday life, not as many as I would think.

hmmmm.

definitely alot more in the media. i have seen alot of women wearing kinky twists but somehow i just don't think it's because they are natural, i just think they're "in style" now (those straight roots tell the story).

i have seen some natural folks and kids around here, not alot at least not as much as i'd expect to see with so many black folks around. they're mostly in locs, not many twists done on natural hair only, plenty of braids but i think the braids are along the same line as kinky twists done on relaxed hair.

i'm sorry if i offend but, there's ALOT of ghetto naturals in the hoods, if you know what i mean. pitball walking, bling wearin', football stadium size rim ridin', saggy pants floppin', gangsta types everywhere :blush:.

I'm too damn old and used up to be called shawty :ohwell: by most of them but that doesn't seem to dissuade them one bit :blush: :wallbash:

most all are still wearing straight/relaxed hair, it's mostly thin, dull and chewed up looking and i still see the occasional jheri curl.
OMG Your twistout is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG Your twistout is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank-you puff-queen :)

i put box braids in a few days ago, rinsed them down in the shower and as they started to dry they hurt my scalp something awful. i'm not tenderheaded at all but it felt like single strands of hair being pulled on - they had to go LOL! that is the braid out from them.

Well, I've noticed WAY MORE naturals in LA now than I did when I arrived here four years ago. I would probably see maybe one every several days (loose naturals), now I see a few a week.

Still not on the scale of New York naturals though, but it's a good sign.

I've been trying to tell this really pretty actress girlfriend of mine to ditch her straight-haired wigs and get with an afro one. I told her that even if they forget her name they'll never forget her hair. She'll get more work.

:yep: :yep: You aint' NEVER lied - it stands out, and it can be changed to straight in a FLASH.....

And LYNNIE!!! :thud: Man, I WISH my braidouts looked that good - GORGEOUS!

I love it!! However, I see just a handful of naturals IRL, but it also depends on where I am. Out of my circle of close friends none are natural, though one has been transitioning for almost a year now. My cousin told me she "wasn't perming her hair anymore". Naturals inspire other folks to be curious about their own nappturality.

I'm glad. I have nothing against relaxed hair, but why shouldn't being natural locs or loose be the norm for black women?

It also means more great products for our hair will be developed.:yep:

hmmmm.

How can you see straight roots with braids? You could always see my naps once my braids started to grow out.

How can you see straight roots with braids? You could always see my naps once my braids started to grow out.

easy.

smooth haired roots attached to kinky twist hair :nono: or smooth haired roots with braids attached.

ok bmore, either the hair was relaxed OR it has to be flatironed. what i saw was not nappy new growth attached to nappy kinky twists :nono:

i've seen it too many times :grin:

ETA: Bmore, not everyone (even hairdressers) can do what you do and make it work and look fab doing it. i've seen some really messed up sorry stuff down here :spinning:

Last edited:
Back