My hair is curly not nappy

• Thread starter Thread starter Salliquay
  • Start date Start date
nappy pretty much means hair that is sooo tighly coiled it almost looks fuzzystraight.. i dont consider curls to be naps at all.

[ QUOTE ]
My hair is nappy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how I feel.

It is funny because since going natural the only person who has ever referred to my hair as nappy is me. Everyone else calls it curly and even say that I don't have nappy hair. /images/graemlins/huh.gif I don't know why this is but it sure looks nappy to me. I don't think that it is a negative word. I like it and use it all the time. But, if you don't like it then don't use it. I don't know why the site would offend you thou esspecially when the site is about embracing your hair the way it is, and you are going natural. But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my hair's nappy. When I wake up in the morning those cute little curls are a matted mess. Con wash and gel, that's what makes my hair curly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Lawd...you've been peaking in my window. I am not a natural but when I take my braids out or let my hair air dry... good gooble goo it's a matted mess. /images/graemlins/antlers.gif

Ladies,

I really think we are coming down a bit harsh on the new poster. She is simply explaining how SHE feels. Maybe she is not as well verse as some or maybe she doesn't have the some knowledge of hair care or esteem.

Instead of giving the sister the brush off, I think we should embrace her... teach her.... and gracefully add our opinion.

I would hope that the sisters on this site would be strong enough to do this.

To each his own. Although my hair would be considered curly rather than nappy, I call it nappy(at times I wish it were more nappy). And just a suggestion. If nappturality.com offends you, you might prefer naturallycurly.com. Those of us who are part of nappturality do love out napps and are very protective of them and the forum.

Now here at lhcf, everyone is embraced regardless of what they do with thier hair and there is a wealth of info here to help you achieve the healthiest hair possible regardless of texture or chemical preference. I hope you enjoy the boards.

[ QUOTE ]
To each his own. Although my hair would be considered curly rather than nappy, I call it nappy(at times I wish it were more nappy). And just a suggestion. If nappturality.com offends you, you might prefer naturallycurly.com. Those of us who are part of nappturality do love out napps and are very protective of them and the forum.

Now here at lhcf, everyone is embraced regardless of what they do with thier hair and there is a wealth of info here to help you achieve the healthiest hair possible regardless of texture or chemical preference. I hope you enjoy the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!!

The word "nappy" is not bad in and of itself. It is the negative feeling some blacks have about the type of hair the word "nappy" describes that gives the word its seemingly negative intent.

Simply put, the word "nappy" will not offend someone who does not have a negative opinion of coarse, kinky or tightly coiled hair.

[ QUOTE ]
The word "nappy" is not bad in and of itself. It is the negative feeling some blacks have about the type of hair the word "nappy" describes that gives the word its seemingly negative intent.

Simply put, the word "nappy" will not offend someone who does not have a negative opinion of coarse, kinky or tightly coiled hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/up.gif ITA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Talking of nappy... I remembered a funny incident. A few years ago, I was describing my hair to this white family I stayed with. I was explaining why I find wearing braids easier than combing my hair out everyday, and I used a word I have always used to describe my hair: kinky. I had no clue the word also meant eccentric sexual behavior but soon learned that meaning when the lady who nearly passed out laughing finally got her composure enough to speak and explain what was so funny. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

I love words, and so admire people that pick the most appropriate word when communicating. When I first learned the word kinky (a synonym for nappy), I was thrilled to find a word that described my hair to a T. I had learned a word I could use with confidence knowing that no one will confuse it with "curly" (which is rather vague, if you ask me) or "wavy" (which is sth else altogether). I didn't know the word nappy was an adjective until I started to read American magazines. I knew it as a noun: a short form of the word for a baby's diaper, ie napkin. (BTW, because the word "napkin" brought to mind a baby's diaper, "serviette" is the word we used for a table napkin.)

When I learned "nappy" meant "kinky", I embraced it with the same excitement I had embraced "kinky", but with even more glee coz now I had two words I could use interchangeably /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif that were an accurate description of my hair.

Sridevi hit the nail on the head. It's a sad shame our history took so much from us, such that a lot of what we should be proud to have as our very own, unique qualities, and the words associated with them, have been tainted with negativity. A lot of these issues are somewhat foreign to me because I grew up in Kenya and so I wasn't exposed to much of this brainwashing. But I can sympathize with those for whom things that seem so normal to me are so misunderstood and misinterpreted. So rather than be angry or horrified, I feel sad. It's the sadness one feels when one pleasantly hears a child speaking proper English and then suddenly hears another child put him/her down for it, accusing him/her of trying to be white or to talk white. On the contrary, I and all the kids I grew up with viewed speaking proper English as a sign of having learned another language well. The same way that if I took a French course, I'd want to learn it properly, not so as to pass as a French person, but just because my desire to learn it goes hand-in-hand with wanting to be good at it, to convey ideas accurately in it. I believe there's no point trying to do anything unless you try to do it well/right. Yet, I'm not quick to condemn the thinking behind that kid's accusation. One has to remember that our people have been robbed of so much, leaving us with very little that is uniquely our very own. So any way we can hold onto our identity is so important. For those of us who have another language as our first language, speaking proper English seems like the most normal thing to do. It doesn't threaten to take from our identity; we don't risk "disappearing" if we speak it exactly as it should be spoken. (Am I making sense?)

For the record, I haven't studied any of the subjects that address these issues (yet) so please forgive me if I'm off the mark. I'm just sharing my humble deduction and limited understanding based on my limited knowledge of subject.

But having our identity robbed from us wasn't just all we had to deal with. There was also the trend that those that identify with those that robbed us seem to have gotten better treatment in the past...or it seemed as if success and acceptance went to those that who are different from how we are. Enter the dilemma of wanting to hold onto our identity and at the same time blend in and adapt in order to survive. If you can't beat them, join them kinda thing. Hence the confusion of what's good and what's bad; what's to be embraced and what's to be shunned.

As I already mentioned before, a lot of the social issues people have to deal with here are not things I encountered growing up. But I don't want to give the impression that we're a population of mentally enlightened folks with no narrow-mindedness about stuff. There are people I met growing up who considered being fair-skinned (light) beautiful. So you could have a disfigured face but if you were light, you were beautiful as far as they were concerned. When I read Roots (love that book) I was surprised to read that in Kunta Kinte's village (somewhere in Gambia, I think), the darker you were, the more beautiful you were in the eyes of the beholder. (Not unlike how we grow up hearing thin is beautiful and then are surprised to discover there are cultures where the larger a woman is, the more attractive she's deemed.) I wondered if this thinking about dark being beatiful may have been once widespread throughout the continent and if perhaps colonization and/or the media is what started to dilute that belief.

*Nonie realizes she's been thinking aloud and probably giving everyone a headache with her unorganized ponderation (rigmarole)...and plans a quick exit right after she returns to the topic at hand*

The way I deal with words when I hear them is to look them up. And if I find out it's a neutral word, I dig further to find out if it ever had a meaning that was negative, if the way it was introduced to me seemed to imply it was a bad word. If unsure, then I avoid using it, just to be on the safe side, until someone can give me a complete answer on its meaning. So I applaud those who avoided the word "nappy" because they were led to believe it's a bad word. Better safe than sorry. But I hope that now that they know that it's a word that isn't in any way derogatory, but is simply descriptive of a pattern, they will be more comfortable using it, and perhaps even have the courage to educate others on it.

*Nonie sees a tomato headed for her head coz she's overstayed her welcome and...
Runfast-vi.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/up.gif ITA /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Talking of nappy... I remembered a funny incident. A few years ago, I was describing my hair to this white family I stayed with. I was explaining why I find wearing braids easier than combing my hair out everyday, and I used a word I have always used to describe my hair: kinky. I had no clue the word also meant eccentric sexual behavior but soon learned that meaning when the lady who nearly passed out laughing finally got her composure enough to speak and explain what was so funny. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif That is one of the funniest things that I have ever read..lol That is hilarious..lol I'm not laughing at you..but at the story....I can imagine what was going through her head when you said your hair was "kinky".. in the terms that she thought..that is too funny..

My hair is nappy, and has been every since I found nappturality and the women on there who embrace their naps. I do agree that I had a negative mentality about the word before then, because that is what the society around me viewed it as. Whenever someone black was trying to put someone else black down, the word nappy usually was used sooner or later. I even heard (and had to correct) some white people mis-using the word in high school. Apparently they had heard it negatively used so many times, that they thought it meant "nasty". They had no clue about our hair issue. While I still thought of it negatively, somehow I still took offense when they tried to make it "more negative"...if that makes any sense.

What's funny is now that my hair is all nappy (no relaxer), no one calls it nappy but me. And if I say that it is nappy, people are quick to tell me how it isn't and how pretty it is and how good it looks.

But when I had a perm...they were quick to let me know my hair was nappy and needed a retouch.

Interesting...

[ QUOTE ]

But when I had a perm...they were quick to let me know my hair was nappy and needed a retouch.

Interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it though?!!!!

The only time when the word "nappy" offends me is when it's used as an insult, especially by other blacks. Don't we have enough stuff to deal with from *other* people without hating ourselves, too?

~Rochelle. /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

That was a great post Nonie

The discussion over the word "nappy" reminds me of how some blacks actually use the word "black" as an insult.

"She is soooo black."

"She knows she's too black to be wearing that color"

"You need to shut up with your black @ss"

It's both funny and sad at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Ladies,

I really think we are coming down a bit harsh on the new poster. She is simply explaining how SHE feels. Maybe she is not as well verse as some or maybe she doesn't have the some knowledge of hair care or esteem.

Instead of giving the sister the brush off, I think we should embrace her... teach her.... and gracefully add our opinion.

I would hope that the sisters on this site would be strong enough to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that we gave her the brush-off. And I hope that a lot of the responses gave her food for thought regarding the word nappy and its literal definition versus the negative societal connotations. I hope that she is strong as well and realizes that we are simply expressing our opinions also. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought that this thread was fine, especially after having seen some of the ones on this topic in the past which have gotten heated and ugly. So if the original poster is reading this, I hope she knows that, just because we all don't neccessarily share her opinion, that she is welcome here, and should use the board as a tool for learning as well as a sounding board to develop her own thoughts and ideas further. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My new growth is not curly. Its maybe be curly at the crown, but around the perimeter and edges, its pure naps. Just the way it is. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
okay I don't mean to sound rude but why do black people call their natural hair nappy. For the life of me I just can't understand why we buy into these terms. I am transtioning from relaxed hair to my "NATURAl" hair and I refuse to believe my hair is nappy, my hair is curly maybe moreso curly than others but my hair is beautiful not nappy. By the way that Nappurality site or whatever it is offends me. Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand perfectly what you are saying, I don't like the word 'nappy' myself. I use supercoily, tighty curly, kinky. So I don't tend to use the word 'nappy' to describe my hair, but it is excusively curly and very coily. It was a word, my mother told me not to use and even though it is used as a positive word, I still don't use it to describe my own hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA, Val do you remeber how our afro-carribean hair was described as "picky" because of the tight coils, that overlaps itself, i can also remember this being said to me and other children with straighter hair were laughing and chanting "picky heads" a negative connotation which overtly ment you had "bad hair", this doesn't bother me anyone because re-educated my mind and i learnt to love my natural hair even though i did texturized, however not out of hate.

I completely understand where Salli*** is coming from. I really enjoyed your post Nonie, and I wasnt ready to hurl a tomato at cha...LOL.
I too, have associated the term "nappy" with bad for a long time, because of my upbringing and those around me shared(and still do) the same thoughts on the word. Thats being said, I too need to get over that misinterpetation of the word nappy, and hope one day I can use the term loosely to describe my hair (knowing myself thats its beautiful), even if those around me dont share my opinion.
Gone are those days of BLACK POWER when our folks was doing anything they could to have that Angie Davis fro. It all boils down to being accepted, and if those around you are not accepting to what comes nature, then you either conform or your must be REALLy strong to overcome that feeling of unacceptance and ridicule. Which is had to do, when its coming from your ON folks.
Its funny how long and old this debate is, as some of you may know Im transitioning AGAIN, and I was over to my grandmother house yesterday, and both my aunt and grandmother was looking at me sideways, my aunt said: "Dang Carmen, I havent seen your hair look that bad in awhile".
All I could say was, "Im going natural", and she was preparing to relax her hair that she said she just relaxed 2weeks ago. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anywho, I feel ya now Nonie /images/graemlins/violin.gif

Great post!!!

I can't see how she would remotely feel comfortable here and feel free to post from some of the posts here... telling her what she "needs" to think and stop doing. /images/graemlins/arguing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
okay I don't mean to sound rude but why do black people call their natural hair nappy. For the life of me I just can't understand why we buy into these terms.

[/ QUOTE ] Because it is nappy. The curls are the size of pen-springs, for me, and eventually they begin to tangle, causing "naps". The hairs are very slim and the curl pattern is very tiny, making it more difficult to deal with "naps" in this hair type, than in less curly/fatter follicles.

The term "nappy" does not denote that the hair is an abyssmal, unstructured, ugly, chaotic inconvenience (even bone-straight hair will easily turn into naps/bunches without care), but rather that "napping" is a literal feature of the hair. Of course, it has its advantages: hair styles will stay in place, and move any way the person wishes to style it. Moreover, it's easy to make afro hair simulate other hair types with water and molds: straight hair, casual-curly hair,etc. Afro hair is the only truly 'malleable' human hair, in that sense.

[ QUOTE ]
My hair is nappy, and has been every since I found nappturality and the women on there who embrace their naps. I do agree that I had a negative mentality about the word before then, because that is what the society around me viewed it as. Whenever someone black was trying to put someone else black down, the word nappy usually was used sooner or later. I even heard (and had to correct) some white people mis-using the word in high school. Apparently they had heard it negatively used so many times, that they thought it meant "nasty". They had no clue about our hair issue. While I still thought of it negatively, somehow I still took offense when they tried to make it "more negative"...if that makes any sense.

What's funny is now that my hair is all nappy (no relaxer), no one calls it nappy but me. And if I say that it is nappy, people are quick to tell me how it isn't and how pretty it is and how good it looks.

Interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

i am loving your hair DelightfulFlame...It has grown soooo much! Your my new "nappy" inspiration. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Thanks Neen! I love your hair too. I'm always in your album checking for new pics. You've got me really cheesing over here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm doing my best to figure my hair texture out. Hopefully I won't have to chop on it anymore, and can just let it grow.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see how she would remotely feel comfortable here and feel free to post from some of the posts here... telling her what she "needs" to think and stop doing. /images/graemlins/arguing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, every day the same thing is done on this board for other topics: we are told that we need to use mositure, we need to stop using heat, we should stop thinking that our hair cannot grow, wash more often etc. I don't see how this is any different. Advice is given and taken or not taken here every day. Offense should be the last thing taken provided everyone is civil, IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, every day the same thing is done on this board for other topics: we are told that we need to use mositure, we need to stop using heat, we should stop thinking that our hair cannot grow, wash more often etc. I don't see how this is any different. Advice is given and taken or not taken here every day. Offense should be the last thing taken provided everyone is civil, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA /images/graemlins/wink.gif

@ DelightfulFlame she's right! You're hair has grown SOOOOO MUCH /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm lovin it!!!!!!!! I'm gonna try and experiment on my hair tomorrow. It's hard finding styles that suit me these days /images/graemlins/mad.gif

The last thing that I want to do is to offend anyone, I think this site is just wonderful. Nappurality site doesn't offend me just the name it's like we are buying into this black mammy concept.

What's interesting though is that I was watching Larry Elder and he was talking about the use of the "N" word a guest on the show said that the word N**Ger which was used to put down blacks and wasn't tolerated (and shouldn't be) but since slavery we have embraced a newer concept of the word which is N**ga, so I ask what is the difference? Larry Elder then asked the man if a white man called him a N**ga would he be offended (yes he would). So I am asking all of you this; if you and a white girl friend, co-worker or whatever else were having a conversation about haircare and she said my hair is straight and yours is nappy but she wasn't meaning to be mean maybe she is stating what she feels is the obvious.

would you honestly not be offended? What if a black woman who considers herself to have curly hair (or good hair)and she states my hair is curly yours is nappy would you honestly not be offended? What if she sincerly wasn't meaning to be mean. I think it would hurt my feelings that's how I feel.

I respect everyone's opinion it's just interesting to hear, I love this board and I don't wish to offend any of you.

What is also kinda sad is that we are teaching little black girls to love their hair even though it's nappy. How is that going to stand up against oh the pretty little white girl at my school say's I have nappy hair I know I am suppose to love my difficult hair but enough of those words can really kill a child's spirit.

BTW:

The word nappy was made up by slave owners to describe african hair. The word nappy didn't become an official word in the dictionary until the 20th century. Words don't just exist. They are made up!

[ QUOTE ]
The word nappy was made up by slave owners to describe african hair. The word nappy didn't become an official word in the dictionary until the 20th century. Words don't just exist. They are made up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....that's interesting. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Umm, I have never had a white co-worker call me nappy but I have had a white worker call this little boy nappy in front of me since I have been natural, and I honestly wasn't offended. He's hair was nappy. I don't understand why I would be offended.

[ QUOTE ]

ITA /images/graemlins/wink.gif

@ DelightfulFlame she's right! You're hair has grown SOOOOO MUCH /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm lovin it!!!!!!!! I'm gonna try and experiment on my hair tomorrow. It's hard finding styles that suit me these days /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I have my moments when I don't want to touch my hair. But I have started the protective style challenge, and it is really paying off. I think I have finally gotten a trimming schedule down, and my scalp issues are resolved. So it should be all up hill from here. I'm really looking forward to growing some hair this next year.

You keep experimenting, and I'm sure you'll find some styles. Practice makes perfect!

[ QUOTE ]

would you honestly not be offended? What if a black woman who considers herself to have curly hair (or good hair)and she states my hair is curly yours is nappy would you honestly not be offended? What if she sincerly wasn't meaning to be mean. I think it would hurt my feelings that's how I feel.

What is also kinda sad is that we are teaching little black girls to love their hair even though it's nappy. How is that going to stand up against oh the pretty little white girl at my school say's I have nappy hair I know I am suppose to love my difficult hair but enough of those words can really kill a child's spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope you don't go around talking about folks having "good hair."

And NO, I would not be offended by someone calling my hair nappy... but then again, I don't have a complex in which I think that nappy hair is ugly either.

Back