Is direct heat ALWAYS bad for your hair?

Is direct heat ALWAYS bad for hair?

• YES – It will ALWAYS cause damage

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • NO – It’s O.K. with proper moisturizers & sealants

Votes: 51 78.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MD_Lady

I once heard a stylist say that direct heat (specifically hair dryers and flat irons) isn’t the problem; direct heat and a lack of protectants are the problem. To me, using direct heat is like being in direct sunlight: Sunscreen will prevent skin damage, but the sun will still leave it’s mark (which may or may not be negative) on your skin. What does everyone think?

I once heard a stylist say that direct heat (specifically hair dryers and flat irons) isn’t the problem; direct heat and a lack of protectants are the problem. To me, using direct heat is like being in direct sunlight: Sunscreen will prevent skin damage, but the sun will still leave it’s mark (which may or may not be negative) on your skin. What does everyone think?

Waiting for responses...

When my hair was short I used a flatiron everyday and I wasn't trying to gain length. I dare not do that with the length I am now if I want to see anything past shoulder length.

I wouldn't use direct heat consistently even with a protectant. But that's just moi!

I agree with her.Sometimes its not direct heat its us and our sucky techniques but it easier to blame jacked up hair on heat.I believe it depends on three things.Current health of the hair,technique,and hair type.

I have been using heat very often(2-3x month)since April and my hair is thriving.My technique is important because I don't use a blowdryer and everything I do prepares my hair for heat.I have been natural for my whole dang on life and I wasn't always able to use heat this regularly because my hair wasn't healthy.I am to the point now where I can do it because I know exactly what works for my hair and I know how to retain length and keep the hair healthy at the same time..with no straight pieces.

Last edited:
When used in moderation is ok.

I roller set...go on the dryer then blow dry my roots at the salon with leave in conditioners and heat protectants and i have never had a problem retaining lenght. ( I only use heat once a week)

always make sure hair is deep conditioned

Last edited:
I agree with Elledoll. I plan on wearing a straight style through the winter. Boston winters are brutal and I don't want to keep walking around with wet hair. One of these days I'm gonna find an icycle on my curls LOL

I take good care of my hair and I would never put more heat than necessary. My hair is longer now and my wet ponytail kept going in my coat and wetting my shirt. Ewww! It felt gross.

I don't know the correct answer, but I think heat will do SOME kind of damage, no? Well, I know for my hair- why is dry anyway, I haven't found the right moisturizer/heat protectant to have direct heat. When I roller set, my hair stays moisturized longer than if I had blowdried.

So for my hair, ya, it always causes a prob. But with all things, I think it's moderation that's key. I don't believe that you can flat iron every day/ blow dry 3x a week or excessively apply heat to your hair and it will be ok.

So I think moderation is key..

I think it also depends on the texture of your hair. I have coarse 4b/c hair, so I have less cuticles on my hair shaft than other hair types. Heat tends to damage the hair cuticles so I'm very reluctant to use heat, maybe 1-2x every 3 months.

I think it depends on your hair and technique. There are plenty of women who's hair really does seem to thrive on heat.

Personally, I always used heat protectant, dc'd beforehand, etc. and the flat iron still loosened my texture a bit, which I didn't like. My hair went from curly to wavyish in some places to straight in other. It's trial and error.

I voted yes.

I'll phrase the question in a different way:

Will applying 300+ degrees of heat to my hair damage it even though I ave a thin layer of silicone on my hair?

When thinking about it that way, it's a no brainer.

You wouldn't put that same flat iron on your thigh EVEN if you put heat protectant on your legs first, would you?

With all that said, just because you use heat doesn't mean that you can't have healthy hair. Plenty people with healthy hair use heat... however at the least, it causes minimal damage.Heat protectants aren't THAT good. How much damage you get depends on many different factors... the individual's hair, regimen, technique, products, tools...

but it's silly imo to think it's damage free. Even combing your hair causes a little damage. How is using high heat not going to do anything?

Before finding LHCF I had a texturizer and flat ironed with a cheap flat iron more than twice a week. My hair grew fine...no lie. I wouldnt do this now, but the "NO HEAT" rule is over emphasized.

I roller set...go on the dryer then blow dry my roots at the salon with leave in conditioners and heat protectants and i have never had a problem retaining lenght. ( I only use heat once a week)

It sounds like we have similar use of heat :yep: and, from the looks of your signature pic, your approach is producing AMAZING results!!! :)

My hair has never been the longest, but that has ALWAYS (before I had a chemical in my hair and when I relaxed and was using minimal heat) been the case. I know some ladies have experienced uber growth after going heat free, but unfortunately, I think I'll have to do a little more than cut out heat to reach my hair goals. ;)

Last edited:
Waiting for responses...

When my hair was short I used a flatiron everyday and I wasn't trying to gain length. I dare not do that with the length I am now if I want to see anything past shoulder length.

I wouldn't use direct heat consistently even with a protectant. But that's just moi!
Yeah, I had a friend in high school who had short hair and used heat DAILY. Let me just tell you, her breakage was no joke. :nono:

BTW: Your hair looks lovely. :yep:

I agree with her.Sometimes its not direct heat its us and our sucky techniques but it easier to blame jacked up hair on heat.I believe it depends on three things.Current health of the hair,technique,and hair type.

I have been using heat very often(2-3x month)since April and my hair is thriving.My technique is important because I don't use a blowdryer and everything I do prepares my hair for heat.I have been natural for my whole dang on life and I wasn't always able to use heat this regularly because my hair wasn't healthy.I am to the point now where I can do it because I know exactly what works for my hair and I know how to retain length and keep the hair healthy at the same time..with no straight pieces.
Well keep doing what you do ElleDoll because your hair is GORGEOUS. :love:

I think it depends on how much you do it. When I was in highschool I went curling iron crazy :spinning: I would do it EVERYDAY no joke and my hair broke off soooo bad but now I know how to protect it so its doesnt fry! :grin:

My hair grew from SL to almost BSL before finding LHCF and I did not DC or moisturize. I used a heat protectant but I noticed when I switched to a BETTER iron my hair retained length. I cut my hair to APL right before finding this site and now my hair is below BSL. I use direct heat once a week. I think as long as u keep ur moisture game up and use quality products you will be fine.

I think that:

If your hair is healthy ie has the proper protein/moisture balance then the use of heat in the proper way and using the proper products, then heat will not damage your hair.

If you use heat on hair that is not healthy, dry, brittle, and splitting, then direct heat is not your friend.

I think direct heat is always bad for MY hair, so I avoid it, especially since I'm relaxed. Maybe it was my "sucky technique" :lachen:as ElleDoll mentioned, but I never retained length when using heat. Anywho, my hair is much healthier and longer without it.

I also want to add that indirect heat (rollersetting) is better. I do just fine with my direct heat. I dont have the time and energy for rollerstting and my water-retaining hair.

Doesn't the legendary Cathy Howse use heat twice a week? I myself get squeamish with the thought of more than twice a month. I would love to forgo it all together but alas...I am weak.

I think it also depends on the texture of your hair. I have coarse 4b/c hair, so I have less cuticles on my hair shaft than other hair types. Heat tends to damage the hair cuticles so I'm very reluctant to use heat, maybe 1-2x every 3 months.

I think coarse hair has more cuticle layers than other hair types. Fine hair would have the least amount.

I have very dry hair so I rarely use heat because it would just make it worse.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how much you do it. When I was in highschool I went curling iron crazy :spinning: I would do it EVERYDAY no joke and my hair broke off soooo bad but now I know how to protect it so its doesnt fry! :grin:

Oh man... in high school not only would I use the curling iron on hair that was dry and brittle, I'd spray a little bit of cheap hairspray and curl my ends every morning! After a few weeks it was back to the scissors. Now I know better.

I flatiron once. Then I do the high pineapple ponytail at night to maintain the hairstyle. If I funk it up, guess what I'm not allowed to use the flatiron again.

I agree with this. I just switched to a rollersetting weekly regimen 3 months ago, my hair thanks me for it. My hair does better with some heat usage.:yep:

Being smart with the heat is key, proper heat protectant and use on clean deep conditioned, moisturized hair.

Any time this question comes up, I always think of this post, and this thread. It's not always the fact that it's direct heat, it what type of direct heat (for example, is it infrared heat), what the heat is being used to do, and how the user is implementing (technique, heat protection, temp, well-conditioned hair, etc).

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=1916470#post1916470

So basically, my answer is "It depends".

Last edited:

I agree with your statement.

I have several friends that uses heat frequently and their hair thrives! Me on the other hand can not do this and expect to achieve my hair goals.

No it's not always bad. Improper use and over use are bad. My hair actually seems to do best when I use some heat. I tried a no heat routine for a while and my air dryed hair was just a mess to deal with. Using my blowdryer on low smooths my cuticles and makes my hair easier to manage.

I voted yes.

I'll phrase the question in a different way:

Will applying 300+ degrees of heat to my hair damage it even though I ave a thin layer of silicone on my hair?

When thinking about it that way, it's a no brainer.

You wouldn't put that same flat iron on your thigh EVEN if you put heat protectant on your legs first, would you?

With all that said, just because you use heat doesn't mean that you can't have healthy hair. Plenty people with healthy hair use heat... however at the least, it causes minimal damage.Heat protectants aren't THAT good. How much damage you get depends on many different factors... the individual's hair, regimen, technique, products, tools...

but it's silly imo to think it's damage free. Even combing your hair causes a little damage. How is using high heat not going to do anything?

Your thigh is covered with innervated tissue. Your hair is a fiber and much more durable than your skin. Thats like comparing ironing a shirt to putting an iron on a piece of raw meat. Not a good comparison. You can put silicone in the middle of a camp fire 400 degree camp fire and it won't melt.

To answer the question.......not always, at least not by the understood LHCF meaning of damage in the sense that it will seriously compromise the overall "health" of your hair. It is possible to use heat correctly and still be able to grow and retain your hair. Air drying, depending on the way you do it, can be just as damaging.

Originally posted by gymfreak
Your thigh is covered with innervated tissue. Your hair is a fiber and much more durable than your skin. Thats like comparing ironing a shirt to putting an iron on a piece of raw meat. Not a good comparison. You can put silicone in the middle of a camp fire 400 degree camp fire and it won't melt.

To answer the question.......not always, at least not by the understood LHCF meaning of damage in the sense that it will seriously compromise the overall "health" of your hair. It is possible to use heat correctly and still be able to grow and retain your hair. Air drying, depending on the way you do it, can be just as damaging.

Excellent response to that post Gym! Ladies, I love the way gymfreak drops the hair knowledge with the mixture of science and common sense.

I voted yes.

The way it's been explained to me is that in order to get your hair straight, the heat has to break bonds within the strand. If you define damage as broken bonds in the hair strand, then heat is always damaging, just like combing or relaxing. Usually those bonds are easily repaired through washing/conditioning but sometimes the damage is permanent and you end up with heat straightened hair that won't revert to it's original state.

I think there's a damage spectrum (in my head lol) that's looks something like this:
air/sunlight..............washing/combing/other manipulation...........relaxing/chemicals

IMO, heat is more damaging than combing, etc. but not as damaging as relaxing (until it causes permanent damage).

:swearing:yes direct heat is damaging to your hair. regardless of how often you may use it or if you put some type of protectant o:boxing:n it. That why i do get relaxers every 3-4 months .i wear protective styles like twists, buns. and ponytails.but, i only straighten my hair with a flat iron every 6 MONTHS.i keep it up the rest of the time. this has worked for me but of course this may be different for other people.

Back