What is worse for your hair? Natural w/ flatironing OR Relaxed w/o heat?

What is worse for your hair?

• Relaxing but using no direct heat.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Natural but flat ironing weekly or twice a week?

Votes: 56 42.7%
  • Other: Explain

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters
I'd have to say relaxer w/o heat was worse for my hair. I had more breakage. I've been natural for 2 year, but I only flat iron maybe 3 times a year. I just think with a relaxer, bonds are broken that you can't get back no matter how much protein you use.

I voted other because whether one relaxes with no direct heat or is natural using direct heat both are damaging. But I think it has a lot to do with the state and health of the hair to really truely know which is worse.

i think some would say that the flat ironing is damaging more because when it's on natural hair you can tell easily when the hair is damaged because the curl pattern won't be the same. I think with relaxed hair you can't tell if your hair is being damaged as easily. But i mean a relaxer can burn the scalp and leave scars that bleed..so you tell me what's probably more damaging to the hair if not properly done. And if you're natural and straightening all the time, damage wise you might as well be getting a relaxer, but also i think if you're not going to wear your hair in it's natural state..then why be natural?

Oh ok. Guess I was reading the question wrong.

I don't really have an answer either. When I was natural, I attempted to flat iron my hair and burned a section permanently straight. :nono: I think this was because I didn't know the proper way to use heat. I know for a fact that the oil fried my hair. Now I know better.

I would think that even as a natural, using heat a few times a week would equal damage. Natural hair is strong but it's not indestructible.

This was a roundabout way of saying that my vote is for equally damaging.

Ohmygosh, I'm such an idiot. Because I was reading the question wrong as well.

But I'd say relax with no heat is worse. However, there are no chemicals in natural hair. IDK JMHO

perhaps if you're relaxed bone straight you don't need direct heat for the swingy straight look - but if you're texlaxed or even just not BONE straight you'd probably still end up using heat for alot of your styling...

You could rolleret - but I, personally, do not have the patience to do it. It's so much easier knowing that if one section gets fd up you can just hit it with the flat iron.

I'm going natural, but I don't plan on using a hot comb - I am well versed in heat protectants, so to straighten I will probably stretch to partially straighten, and then use my flat iron with a demman or fine tooth comb. I think ultimately it's better for my hair.

I think they're equally damaging but like others have said, the relaxer can also damage your scalp, which is the MAIN reason I'm transitioning. No matter how hard the stylists or I tried not getting the relaxer on my scalp it always did. I would get sores and headaches. But I belive your hair can thrive either way!

Back