"Get Your Hands Outta Your Hair" Challenge for 2010!

I want to join!!!

Current-Length: Between SL/APL
Goal-Length:Full/Thick/Blunt MBL for now:grin:
Current-Hair Stats/Issues: I have very fine/thin hair, which drives me nuts:wallbash:
What's the Best Thing About your Hair: It's soft, that's about it:lachen::lachen:
What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? BSL

Can I join please!

1. First of all, How have you and your hair been? Great for now. I had a minor set back in
September due to a horrible sew-in weave. My hair broke off real badly.
2. How has the challenge been going for you: Its new to me, but I was in the another
challenge similar to this , hide your hair for 6 months.
3. Try anything new? Yes, wigs! After several months with braids/twists, I will alternate with wigs.
4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing) I don't use heat at all?
5. Anything else you would like to add or share, I know I'm going to like this challenge :)

Last edited:
Welcome once again all newly joined members! I'm very excited for this challenge. My goal for myself is to retain 5" of growth in 2010. Since my growth rate is around 0.5" per month, that equates to 6 inches per year. I'm allowing myself an inch variance for my 1/4th of an inch trims I'm going to be giving myself every 3 months.

I want to join! Seems like a fun challenge and keeping my hands out of my head is something that I need to start working on.

Checking in.

I've been abiding by the rules, but as I get more NG its becoming more difficult not to touch my hair :look: its not really that much, but its thick and coarse so my hair flys away more and its a bit challenging to keep it looking decent. I can't wait until my next relaxer :bouncegre. I will hopefully have enough length to get it all into in a phony bun, then I know I won't touch it at all. Out of sight, out of mind. :yep:

I found a solution to my hand-in-hair OCD...I bought a half wig :yep: So I'll have all my hair tucked under there away from my meddling fingers :lol:

I'm in! :grin:

Current-Length: shoulder lengthish

Goal-Length: bsl

Current-Hair Stats/Issues: the cold weather! (currently snowed in...)

What's the Best Thing About your Hair: i like the volume, the versitility, its soft, manageable and most importantly MINE!

What hair goal do you want to accomplish by the end of 2010? apl

Please add me to the list. I'd love to give this a shot!!!:yep:

My stupid DSL is down. I'll post my details when I get to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
  1. First of all, How have you and your hair been? My hair has been coming along quite well since my last challenge (pic in my siggy).
  2. How has the challenge been going for you? During that last challenge I did a BC. It's been quite the adventure trying to find the right products for my easily tangled hair.
  3. Try anything new? Everything under the sun...but my latest and greatest discovery was the Lush Caca Noir Henna I recently used. I reviewed it in thread (I'll see if I can track it down and post it here)
  4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? Yes. If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? I was taking part in a hide your hair for 6 months challenge. We recently did our reveal last week. Prior to that, I hadn't used direct heat since July (09).
  5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I'm excited about this challenge. My next goal is to reach MBL. As I stated before, I will incorporate vitamins, continue using my Ayurvedic goodies, drinking water, henna, attempt to eat healthier and Uggghhh...exercise. I will need all of the support, encouragement, and cheering along, I can get. Of course I will be head cheerleader for everyone else too! I tend to work better when I partner up. It helps to keep me accountable. :yep:

Last edited:
Count me in too! 2010 will me my first full year here so im signing up for my challenges. I plan to PS all year and keep my hands away!

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
  1. First of all, How have you and your hair been? My hair has been coming along quite well since my last challenge (pic in my siggy).
  2. How has the challenge been going for you? During that last challenge I did a BC. It's been quite the adventure trying to find the right products for my easily tangled hair.
  3. Try anything new? Everything under the sun...but my latest and greatest discovery was the Lush Caca Noir Henna I recently used. I reviewed it in thread (I'll see if I can track it down and post it here)
  4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? Yes. If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? I was taking part in a hide your hair for 6 months challenge. We recently did our reveal last week. Prior to that, I hadn't used direct heat since July (09).
  5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I'm excited about this challenge. My next goal is to reach MBL. As I stated before, I will incorporate vitamins, continue using my Ayurveda goodies, dring water, henna, attempt to eat healthier and Uggghhh...exercise. I will need all of the support, encouragement, and cheering along, I can get. Of course I will be head cheerleader for everyone else too! I tend to work better when I partner up. It helps to keep me accountable. :yep:

Wow...congratulations on your BC. Your hair is gorgeous and very lush looking :yep:. I also use ayurvedic products. I used to do a lot of pastes, but now I've made some oil infusions and have just recently started using them as prepoos. Hopefully I'll still get good affects. What ayurvedic products do you use and how do you use them? I've also been exercising. I try to make it my goal to exercise at least 3 days out of the week. I'm on break from school right now for a month, so it's going to be a bit more challenging finding means of exercising (I used to work out at their gym) and I try to drink about 100oz. of water per day, plus keep up with my supplements and things. Maybe we could be buddies? We could pm each other and ask how we're doing with our reggies, supplements, etc...

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:

First of all, How have you and your hair been?

My hair has been great! I have been in protective style I had a kinky weave then took it out and bunned for 2weeks. Now I am in a straight weave

How has the challenge been going for you?
Its going well no problems detangling Im seeing a lot of retention

Try anything new?

Yes! I got a new sedu and I use it on the left out portion of my weave and its my new friend.

Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
I did blowdry my hair once to rock a full twist out bun for a holiday party :) I loved because my blow out was nearly APL! cant wait to straighten and do a S&D at the end of january to see if I can actually claim it!!

Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)?
Nope this challenge rocks! I am mainly in it so that when all my protective style challenges are over I can continue with a low-mani routine

Ok ladies...January is rapidly approaching. Have we all gotten our reggies/plans of action together? If so, feel free to post them. Mine is right here:

MY REGGIE FOR 2010:
My External Routine:

-Wash once weekly
-Prepoo with ayurvedic oil infusions before each wash
-Shampoo hair with Giovanni TTTT shampoo, then condition afterward.
-Deep Condition with Giovanni SAS conditioner mixed with avocado oil and honey
-Follow up with a cool ACV rinse after washing
-Moisturize with AOHSR and seal with coconut oil.
-Massage scalp everyday/Oil scalp once or twice a week
-Reduce combing and grooming to once every other day (that's going to be a challenge for me :()

To keep my hair moisturized throughout the week I just made a spray leave-in concoction of 3 pumps of Giovanni SAS conditioner mixed with a bit of Avocado Oil and about 2 drops of lavendar essential oil combined in an 8oz spray bottle diluted with filtered water. My hair gets weighed down very easily, so I'll only be moisturizing it about 2 times a week with AOHSR.

My Internal Routine: Hey, healthy hair starts from the inside out ;)
-Drink my teas (green tea, rooibos tea, minty teas :lick)
-Take my supplements (multivitamin, spirulina)
-Eat healthily (Organic/All-natural Whole grains, lean meats, fruits, and veggies)
-Drink plenty of water (100oz a day)
-Exercise at least 3 times a week (for 30min to an hour each time)

P.S. I also tweaked the monthly questionnaire questions a bit :).

Last edited:
Wow...congratulations on your BC. Your hair is gorgeous and very lush looking :yep:. I also use ayurvedic products. I used to do a lot of pastes, but now I've made some oil infusions and have just recently started using them as prepoos. Hopefully I'll still get good affects. What ayurvedic products do you use and how do you use them? I've also been exercising. I try to make it my goal to exercise at least 3 days out of the week. I'm on break from school right now for a month, so it's going to be a bit more challenging finding means of exercising (I used to work out at their gym) and I try to drink about 100oz. of water per day, plus keep up with my supplements and things. Maybe we could be buddies? We could pm each other and ask how we're doing with our reggies, supplements, etc...

Thank you!!!!! Buddying up would be perfect for me!:yep:

As far as my Ayurvedic products I like to use the following:

Karishma Henna
Vatika Oil
Brahmi Oil
Amla Oil (LOVE THIS STUFF)
Shikaki (sp?) Soap Bar (for clarifying)

And I have a slew of other goodies that I haven't even tried yet.

My favorite thing to use are the oils. My hair absolutely loves them. I still haven't tried brewing the teas yet, but I'm planning on it.

I'm going to look for those threads for you. PM me and we'll put our heads together on a good routine to follow.

You have some excellent habits that I need to pick up on (i.e. water and exercise). Maybe you'll rub off on me. :spinning:

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:

First of all, How have you and your hair been?
My hair has been great! I have been in protective style I had a kinky weave then took it out and bunned for 2weeks. Now I am in a straight weave

How has the challenge been going for you?
Its going well no problems detangling Im seeing a lot of retention

Try anything new?

Yes! I got a new sedu and I use it on the left out portion of my weave and its my new friend.

Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
I did blowdry my hair once to rock a full twist out bun for a holiday party :) I loved because my blow out was nearly APL! cant wait to straighten and do a S&D at the end of january to see if I can actually claim it!!

Nope this challenge rocks! I am mainly in it so that when all my protective style challenges are over I can continue with a low-mani routine

I like this joyful optimism :yep:.

Thought Provoking Question of the Month:

What do you think triggers you to over-manipulate your hair?

For me I believe that it's a combination of PJism, impatience, and an overall obsessing over my hair. When I buy a whole bunch of different products, of course I'm going to want to try them out. And if my hair doesn't feel good, then I'm running my hands up and down my lengths, combing and adding all sorts of product in an attempts to make my hair "feel" better, only for it to become over-laden with product and I have to start over again the very next day :wallbash:.

This is a good question.
For me, I notice that right after a relaxer or after about 10 weeks post, I'm always all up in my hair. I guess because it's all one texture at last, and I can actually reach my scalp without the assistance of Care Free Curl and a rattail comb, so I go a little crazy. I'll just sit there and run my K-Cutter from root to tip mindlessly.
And after 10 weeks post, I usually have a good amount of coils, so I like to feel on them.
I'm also in my hair when I buy new products....especially conditioner. I have a bag of conditioner here, and I've been dying to co-wash and DC with them. I'm holding myself to once at least every four days, but it's so hard.

Please add me to the list. I have never joined a challenge before but I feel like this is one that I could stick to.

I started cowashing almost daily and I want to back off. I am SL and would be happy if I can make it to APL by the end of 2010. I have natural hair that I BKT once a month but otherwise I don't use heat.

For 2010 I plan on:
-Washing and detangle 2xs/wk with Wen Cleanser
-DC 2xs/wk with Wen hair oils
-Keep hair moisturized with Afro Detangler
-BKT once/month
-Keep hair clipped up in between treatments

This is a good question.
For me, I notice that right after a relaxer or after about 10 weeks post, I'm always all up in my hair. I guess because it's all one texture at last, and I can actually reach my scalp without the assistance of Care Free Curl and a rattail comb, so I go a little crazy. I'll just sit there and run my K-Cutter from root to tip mindlessly.
And after 10 weeks post, I usually have a good amount of coils, so I like to feel on them.
I'm also in my hair when I buy new products....especially conditioner. I have a bag of conditioner here, and I've been dying to co-wash and DC with them. I'm holding myself to once at least every four days, but it's so hard.

ITA with this whole paragraph. I'm guilty of committing most of these sins. I start getting crazy, especially when NG begins to appear :lachen:. I've been fighting the battle only to wash my hair once a week, and it's getting easier. Throughout the week I'm going to try to put my hair in styles that I don't have to re-do everyday so that I can limit how many times my hands come in contact with my hair.

Please add me to the list. I have never joined a challenge before but I feel like this is one that I could stick to.

I started cowashing almost daily and I want to back off. I am SL and would be happy if I can make it to APL by the end of 2010. I have natural hair that I BKT once a month but otherwise I don't use heat.

For 2010 I plan on:
-Washing and detangle 2xs/wk with Wen Cleanser
-DC 2xs/wk with Wen hair oils
-Keep hair moisturized with Afro Detangler
-BKT once/month
-Keep hair clipped up in between treatments

Welcome :). I've seen Wen products on TV. How do they work? From what I gathered it's a very simple system.

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:

First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Dec was good. I had a devil of a time detangling this month but I got some Taliah Waajid PMB and it worked like a charm. Since then I've texlaxed. I'll use this time to perfect my shea butter concoction before the angry NG shows up again.

How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? Well, I'm new and this is my 1st official challenge. I've worn LF's in the past year so I promised myself I would wear my hair in 2010 but I'm thinking I might just alternate between buns and BSS wigs.

Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I added Aphogee Green Tea Keratin stuff and Silicon Mix Conditioner. My review of these two items is still pending but FTR my hair hates Aphoghee products. I tried the Taliah Waajid PMB and my hair loves it!

Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? I used my Maxiglide on 3 yesterday after my roller set fail.

Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I'm really considering adding a co-wash to my weekly regimen but I'm still on the fence.

My reggie:
Shampoo wash 1x/wkly
Cowash 1x/wkly
DC 2x/wkly
Ayurvedic tea rinses 2x/wkly
Protein Tx 1x/mnthly
Cassia gloss every 3 months

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE
1. First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
I've been great and my hair, even better.
2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
Well this is my first challenge and so far so good. I'm usually in weave so I cant harrass my hair anyway lol
3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
I added shea butter and aussie moist to my reggie this month.
4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
I used it after I took down my install. It was for a length check and I find it my hair easier to manage when its straightened.
5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)?
I think 2010 is going to be a really good year for my hair :) I havent really found my staple products yet though and i wish detangling was easier!

HHG

Last edited:
MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: DECEMBER
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? I guess ok. December was a month of discovery for me. I spent the majority of it trying to figure out a simple routine that I could be consistent with that works for my hair and I, and I believe I pretty much figured it out. I feel very liberated that I don't have to do as much to my hair to keep it looking healthy and feeling nicely as I thought I had.
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? The challenge has been going ok for me. By far, the HARDEST part of the challenge is to simply leave my hair alone. A lot of times I get urges to do my hair and fuss in it unnecessarily, but I've been really trying to have a bit of self-control and not do, undo, and re-do my hair multiple times throughout the day, and I'm also trying to curb my combing addiction. I say things are going well because I'm making the effort. I make mistakes, but I've been trying to focus on what things trigger me to manipulate my hair unnecessarily. Sometimes it's stress. Playing in my hair is relaxing and curbs stress, but I can relieve my stress in other less damaging ways.
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? Yeah, I've tweaked my reggie a bit. I'm still using the same products but just in ways that work for me. My staples are SLS-free shampoo, ayurvedic powders, AOWC, AOHSR, avocado oil, coconut oil, and castor oil. I'm going to post my new routine in a future post.
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? No, not this month, lol.
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I'm just really excited and happy about this challenge. I really want everybody to have a positive experience with it and to grow and learn more about themselves and their hair. I want everybody to focus on what their hair needs and fulfill those needs, without it being counterproductive due to unnecessary compulsions. That's why I'm also incorporating the "Thought Provoking Question of the Month" feature. I want the questions to be like a self-examining process and a way that we can know one another's viewpoints on certain subjects. I was even thinking about taking in thought provoking questions from you ladies and randomly picking one to post for the month (I'll give you credit for your question, of course ;)).

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
So far so good, i have been experimenting with DC'ing my hair more. I like it but I need to KMHOMH more, because i'm DC'ing every 2-3 days w cowashing!! however i'm only styling my hair in a bun doing the weekday and halfwigs on the weekends. So i have low manipulation there. hopefully this is an even balance.
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? i hate it when i can't get my bun right, which is what causes excessive grooming to me. Because i want the perfect bun!! my goal is to just style my bun one time and keep it moving.
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
i detangled my hair while in the shower for the first time and i loved it. Less hair lost imo
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? No direct or indirect heat @ all.
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? Will work on getting my bun right the first time.

Welcome :). I've seen Wen products on TV. How do they work? From what I gathered it's a very simple system.

Thank you! I just love Wen. It is a VERY simple system, which I thought was perfect for me because I am trying to KISS now. It's like doing a cowash without having to worry about buildup and having to clarify. I love it!

I would love to be added to the list!

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
We are both pretty busy and stressing some what, but on the whole we are ok, thnx! :)
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? Honestly, the challenge is ot that hard for me since i am pretty low maintenance anyway, so it's been ok!
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
I have changed my reggie a bit, I take hair vitamins w/ biotin now, and also msm. I have started exercising a gain and drinking more water. it's made a difference bacause I usual retain 1/4" inch a month and now I have seen an increase to 1/2" a month!
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? Not January no, but in December I straightened w/ direct heat to see my length, but I hardly do this.
Only that I think this is a great challenge and I wich everyone success! HHG ;)

Back