Is direct heat ALWAYS bad for your hair?

Is direct heat ALWAYS bad for hair?

• YES – It will ALWAYS cause damage

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • NO – It’s O.K. with proper moisturizers & sealants

Votes: 51 78.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had forgotten about this thread, but stopped in again as I continue to fine tune my regimen. :yep: Thanks again to everyone who provided their :twocents: and shared their experiences. ;)

I hear many people saying that they use heat "a lot" meaning 2-3x a month. Compared to the average use of heat that is still very low. Also another part of it may not be heat but the manipulation, pulling that happens when you use a flat iron or blowdry. I never used heat more than 2-3 x a week as well but it was with a hot comb and all that pulling and manipulation on top of heat was not helping me retain length.

I voted yes.

The way it's been explained to me is that in order to get your hair straight, the heat has to break bonds within the strand. If you define damage as broken bonds in the hair strand, then heat is always damaging, just like combing or relaxing. Usually those bonds are easily repaired through washing/conditioning but sometimes the damage is permanent and you end up with heat straightened hair that won't revert to it's original state.

I think there's a damage spectrum (in my head lol) that's looks something like this:
air/sunlight..............washing/combing/other manipulation...........relaxing/chemicals

IMO, heat is more damaging than combing, etc. but not as damaging as relaxing (until it causes permanent damage).

Quite true and some bonds can be restored with certain conditioners, etc. for the most part, but if you want to get technical some kind of bond gets broken in the hair every time you even get it wet. There's a rearrangement of hydrogen bonding from the water within the hair structure which is the reason why your hair "sets" in a particular rollerset style.

Flat ironing isnt the thing that kills my hair (because I do it sparingly and I DC/take very good care of my hair). In spite of how much I flat iron, my hair is fairly healthy. The direct heat that kills my hair is blowdrying!!! Rips it to pieces every time.

I agree with many ladies, I think it's based on hair health, what kind of protectants you use and how often you do it, now with me, my hair hates blowdryers, but I'm trying to give it up, and it's so hard, but I hair likes curling irons, the flat iron is ok, but I don't think my hair likes the flat iron I have now, so I'm trying to go into another direction, right now, I'm not using any heat, cuz I'm too lazy.......but when I was in high school I use to curl my hair everyday also, I was not paying much attention, but I knew my hair didn't grow like it's growing now, and I have limited my heat use, cuz I know I can be out of control with heat, I'm a big heat lover, and I have to change that, so since I want length, I know I have to stop using heat as much until I get my balance correct....so it also depends on the person too....

I hear many people saying that they use heat "a lot" meaning 2-3x a month. Compared to the average use of heat that is still very low. Also another part of it may not be heat but the manipulation, pulling that happens when you use a flat iron or blowdry. I never used heat more than 2-3 x a week as well but it was with a hot comb and all that pulling and manipulation on top of heat was not helping me retain length.

thanks for putting that in perspective. i use heat a maximum of 3-4 times a month when i blowdry and that's really not a lot especially compared to how often i used to flat iron.

Back