"Get Your Hands Outta Your Hair" Challenge for 2010!

Thank you! I just love Wen. It is a VERY simple system, which I thought was perfect for me because I am trying to KISS now. It's like doing a cowash without having to worry about buildup and having to clarify. I love it!

Thanks for putting in a good word. I'm always skeptical of things I see in infomercials, lol, but I've heard a couple of other good reviews. Glad it's helping you to keep it simple :yep:.

I would love to be added to the list!

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
We are both pretty busy and stressing some what, but on the whole we are ok, thnx! :)
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? Honestly, the challenge is ot that hard for me since i am pretty low maintenance anyway, so it's been ok!
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
I have changed my reggie a bit, I take hair vitamins w/ biotin now, and also msm. I have started exercising a gain and drinking more water. it's made a difference bacause I usual retain 1/4" inch a month and now I have seen an increase to 1/2" a month!
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? Not January no, but in December I straightened w/ direct heat to see my length, but I hardly do this.
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)?
Only that I think this is a great challenge and I wich everyone success! HHG ;)

Welcome! Thanks for your positivity. I'm glad that you've already been practicing most of the principles of the challenge, and your supplement game seems to be on lock! :grin:. Remember to post/subscribe to the "GYHOYH" starting/heatpass/final reveal thread. The link is posted in the first post.

1. First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? So far, so good. I have been moisturizing and pre-pooing with Vatika oil
  2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? Leaving my hair alone during the day is actually proving to be a challenge for me:sad:
  3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? so far I am sticking to my regimen, which is as simple as possible
  4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? I changed my mind and did not use heat yesterday. Instead, I air-dried in 6 puffy twists.
  5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? Still feeling optimistic, but it's still early in the challenge

Last edited:
MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE:
First of all, how have you and your hair been this month?
My hair has been doing better but is still not where I want it health wise. I am still having breakage problems…
I put my hair in twists but plan to continue my regimen and shampooing/deep conditioning once a week as usual.

How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
This challenge so far has been easy for me. I made a personally decision to reduce my heat use and so far haven’t used any direct heat on my hair since Dec.

No, I haven’t changed anything except I am using a braid spray to moisturize my hair since it is in twist extensions.

Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
Nope, no direct heat use this month. :)

we have been okay for the most part. trying to live stress free
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
the challenge has been hard these first couple of weeks. hardest part is keeping my hands out my hair.
decided that i was not going to transition to natural and I relaxed my hair for the first time in 5 months.
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
yes, i was bad and used it twce this month already. i used it for new years to take the starting pic. and then again today for my bday. YEY! Im 25!
next month no direct heat at all since i used twice this month. and keep up with MN treatments

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: January

We've been great! She's been staying moist and behaving herself, and I've been trying my best to treat her gently. There was a small squabble last week over Lottabody Setting Lotion, but that was ironed out fairly quickly. I think I'm finally starting to understand the things that she's saying to me, and she's finally starting to understand that I'm not her mortal enemy. Anymore. :look:

I actually think I'm failing. :rofl:
I don't wash often, I haven't used direct heat, I'm even reducing my indirect heat, I bun it in the morning and don't touch it until night, but I can't stop freaking combing it. I comb it in the morning to put it into its bun and I comb it at night before baggying.
I just like to comb my hair. :look:

Yeah! I started doing my weekly DCs with steam! I also changed how I air dry my hair. I sit under my dryer for about 30 minutes, then I let my hair air dry the rest of the way. It takes much longer, but my hair feels moister and looks thicker afterwards, so that's how I'll be doing it from here on out.

Not yet. I will be flat ironing on the 30th though, because I want to do a length check for another challenge. Also, its my birthday soon after and I want to wear a ponytail. I refuse to wear my hair out. :rofl:

Nope.

Last edited:
Question of the Month: February

I think it goes without saying that one can find a variety of different hair-care practices on this forum that people feel works for them. For instance, there are those in favor of a simple routine (popularly known as "KISS"), in which their routine is pretty set and there is not a lot of product rotation/usage. On the other side of the coin, there are those who feel that using many different products benefits them, and often incorporate these many and varied products into their routine (popularly known as "PJism"). So, my question for the month of February is:

What works best for YOU: Kiss or Complicated?

1. First of all, How have you and your hair been this month?
I guess I have broken one of the cardinal rules :giggle: I co-wash just about every day. I will do my best to limit it to every other day.

2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
Not brushing my hair, but I have been doing well; I am fighting the urge.

3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I have added more oils to my reggie, Coconut oil on a dialy basis to seal moisture and Olive oil to pre-poo. My hair is loving it.

4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? Nope, no heat at all.

5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)?
I was doing a very low-mani reggie from before so it was easy to jump on the challenge. I have been wearing a bear-claw clip and I love it, I tuck my hair under itself and keep my ends totally protected instead of using a scrunchie.

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: January
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Everything has been ok. Been busy going back to school, working, and studying, so I've had other things to help distract me from my hair, lol.

How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? I guess the challenge has been going ok. I've been making an honest effort to follow the rules. I guess the hardest part of the challenge this month was to stick with a routine. I've been changing stuff around a lot, trying to find what makes my hair work best. That has been a bit frustrating.

Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? Yeah, I've changed my reggie a bit, but mostly using the same products I already use. I've been trying to simplify my routine, so I've eliminated a great deal of products (namely certain oils, herbs, and commercial products). And you know what the most shocking part is? My reggie is almost identical now to the one that I used to follow about a year or so ago before I started complicating things (my avatar picture is from around that time). My hair was looking very healthy and doing exactly what I wanted to do at around that time.

Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? N/A

Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? Just wanted to add that I feel positive about the simplification process that I'm going through and that, in my case, less is truly more. I don't feel as stressed about the condition of my hair as I did in times past. I'm trying to achieve a balance. Also, I've been learning the importance of keeping track of the products I use and how I use them in my routine. This helps me to be able to give my hair the necessary balance between protein and moisture and has lessened breakage.

Last edited:
I guess I have broken one of the cardinal rules :giggle: I co-wash just about every day. I will do my best to limit it to every other day.

2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge?
Not brushing my hair, but I have been doing well; I am fighting the urge.

3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I have added more oils to my reggie, Coconut oil on a dialy basis to seal moisture and Olive oil to pre-poo. My hair is loving it.

4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? Nope, no heat at all.

I was doing a very low-mani reggie from before so it was easy to jump on the challenge. I have been wearing a bear-claw clip and I love it, I tuck my hair under itself and keep my ends totally protected instead of using a scrunchie.

Hi. I used to be a frequent co-washer, too. It was very hard because my hair loves water, but I noticed that whenever I co-washed I would feel the need to groom and detangle my hair as well, and this I was doing everyday, which led to overmanipulation and breakage. I literally stayed at the same length for a year and couldn't figure out why. What helps me now is that I keep an 8 ounce spray bottle handy, and every day I lightly spray my hair with water and coat it with a light layer of conditioner (I like the Giovanni SAS) and I seal with oil (I love coconut oil as well). This keeps my hair feeling soft and hydrated throughout the day, but without the manipulation that comes with it. Maybe this might help you :yep:.

Also, I love those "bear" clamps too (I call them octopus clamps :giggle:). It affords me to be able to have my ends protected, as in bunning, but without the tension from the scrunchies.

January

Hi Ladies here we go

First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Hair has been ok the month started off kinda funky it was doing some major frizzing and my scalp was behaving weirdly but now it seems tobe falling back in place
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? The hardest part has been staying out of it . I struggle with constant urge to pull at it and play with it.
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I started ACV rinses
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? I did use direct heat. My sons school was having a winter formal I was the chair of the commitee I intended to stay for dance so I flat ironed and then pincurled my hair . Unfortunately by the time I got done with set up my hair had sweated out and I was sooo tired I just went home and shut it down.
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I am thinking about braids or a weave . I am happy that my hair is growing

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: February
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Very hectic. Between working, going to school, and other responsibilities I haven't really been caring for my hair as I should, and it's been feeling a bit dry lately. I finally deep conditioned it today and it feels much softer.
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? I don't think I was the best I could be this month. I should have been taking better care of my hair, but I feel that I've been neglecting it and handling it a bit harshly.
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? Yes. I simplified my routine. I basically am using the AOHSR shampoo and conditioner combo and use Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner as a leave-in.
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? N/A
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? Just feeling exhausted and a bit burned out, and I think it's taking a toll on my hair's health. I've got to find time to regroup.

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: February
I've been in a sew in since January. The left out hair hasnt been doing all that well. I think it's time for a Aphogee 2-step treatment. I've been using the 2 min recon. but its not helping with breakage.
It's been going pretty easy because of the install but I havent been dc or anything so...shame on me
I added Cantu leave in to my regi & started using aphogee shampoo for damaged hair.
almost once a week. for blending :wallbash:
I've been busy with school so next month I'm gonna get back on track.

I haven't been on the forums in a while so here is my monthly questions for Jan and Feb.

Getting better. Still suffering from breakage from heat damage done by getting to happy with the flat iron back in Nov '09 before I found LHCF.

The hardest part has been staying on my weekly reggie.

3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
Nope nothing has changed. I have just been slacking off. lol

4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
I used heat once or twice in Feb. Both times was blow drying my hair because I it was cold out and I didn't want my head to be cold all day.

I am in serious need of a new daily moisturizer. I am four months post-relaxer and my new growth laughs at KeraCare Creme Hairdress. My hair loves coconut oil though.

My hand in hair syndrome attacked me with a vengeance this month. I have had to take action to tame myself. I'm tired of staying at or around APL because of this problem I have. It's definitely time to move on, so I've decided to crack down on myself. So here's my new routine, and I'm going to be sticking with it! I notice that I like to change my routine when I feel like playing in my hair.

My Washing Schedule: once a week
-Prepoo/DC: Naturalistic Treatment of Choice
-Shampoo: Sulfate-free cleanser (most likely AOWC shampoo)
-Condition: AOWC conditioner
-Leave-in: Alba Botanica Leave-in Conditioner, seal with avocado/coconut oil blend

Moisturization Routine: Daily
Morning: Mist hair with water and lavendar essential oil
Evening: Moisturize hair with Alba Botanica Leave-in Conditioner, then apply small amount of castor oil blend to both scalp and hair. Braid and scarf for bed.

Ladies, if you fell off the wagon, it's ok! Just learn from it and keep it moving, despite setbacks. You can still reach your goals :yay:.

Last edited:
So sorry I haven't been posting the way I should. School has been insane this semester so I haven't even had time to be on LHCF (but I know you ladies understand!) Here's how it's been going so far for me:

For January and the beginning of February I had micro braids. I decided to take them out in February and get kinky twists instead, which is what I'm wearing now. I've found that my hair loves kinky twists WAY more than micro braids so this is the protective style I'll use until I reach my goal. I plan to take the twists out this weekend because I start spring break and I'll actually have time to redo them. When I fix my camera (and get new twists) I'll post pictures for everyone to see.

The challenge has been pretty much effortless. The twists allow me to do various styles and they're very low maintenance. That's the problem I used to have with my hair before the challenge. (I didn't know how to style it and didn't have time to style it).

3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new?
I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of. I'm definitely keeping my hands out of my hair (if you count that as a change).

4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)?
I can proudly say that I haven't used any direct heat since November '09!!:grin:

Since the kinky twists have worked so well I think I'm going to redo them every 8 to 10 weeks. My mom and several other family members want me to wear my "real" hair out but they don't understand that I'm doing this for the health of my hair. I want to wear the twists until I reach my first goal of APL. After that I may try something new but for right now this is what's working for me. (But I can't for the life of me get them to see that!) :nono: *Kanye shrug*

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: MARCH
First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Ok, I guess. I've been experiencing a lot of growth thanks to castor oil (applied to scalp) and biotin (taken internally). The only thing I have to tighten up on is my protective styling.
How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? It's challenging. It makes me more conscious of my hand in hair problem and is making me want to devise ways of leaving my hair alone. I guess the hardest part of the challenge would be keeping my hands out of my hair, especially with all of this NG.
Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I change my reggie up often, lol. I'm currently experimenting with no-pooing and deep conditioning with oils. So far so good, but we'll see. I've been trying to limit how many commercial products I use. Also, I'm contemplating doing a personal bunning/HYH challenge
Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? No
Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? Nothing, except that for that I'm going to try to make the month of April a very low-manipulation month.

MONTHLY QUESTIONNAIRE: APRIL
1. First of all, How have you and your hair been this month? Pretty good, I guess. Been having small issues with breakage and maintaining hair strength. I'm thinking it might be time for me to change my shower filter.
2. How has the challenge been going for you? What has been the hardest part of the challenge? It's going ok. The hardest part right now seems to be keeping my protective styles from going stale, but I've been keeping up with my bunning. I pretty much bun all the time, and I've been trying to be more gentle with my hair when I comb and groom it.
3. Have you changed anything in your reggie or did you try something new? I don't think my reggie has changed much. I've just been trying out natural deep conditioning treatments like mayonnaise. I believe the next one I will try is yogurt.
4. Did you use direct heat at all this month? If so, what was the occasion (if you don't mind sharing)? No
5. Anything else you would like to add or share (feelings, plans, etc...)? I just can't wait until the end of the challenge so I can see my results!

P.S. I know protective styling challenges are pretty self-explanatory and non-exciting, but hopefully you ladies are doing well. We've almost reached the halfway point!

Back