Is 4b hair DESIGNED to be SHORT?

I think our hair is designed to loc. And locs get long. Anything contrary to that is fighting against this hair type, IMHO. If your hair isn't dense and/or thick like Sera's and you're not locked, I think the odds are against you getting to WL. There are & will always be exceptions though, but that's just my conclusion from my own observations.

:lachen: i think you just opened a new can of worms but i completely understand what you mean. last week, i was spritzing my hair religiously only to take down my cornrows and discover that half my hair was matted and forming locs without my permission. :nono: it took a minute to take it all down and unloc it but now i know better.

You just might be right. locs might be another thing our hair likes to do on its own :yep:

Last edited:
I think the difficulty with 4B hair comes about when people try to make it do what is not normal to it. I am having the easiest journey ever. I'm not retaining as well as I could, coz I'm not doing sh**, yet my hair is growing w/o a doubt. Coz even with the breakage I get due to not protective styling or sealing, in 3 years, I've gotten here from starting with about 3 inches in 2007.

I think shrinkage goes back to the need for people living in hot Africa to stay cool around their necks and shoulders...and also the shrinkage provides a canopy-like compact shield from the sun so our brains don't get fried. It's all in the genius of our Maker.

In fact, I think the fact that 4B hair is delicate and holds styles for so long is a "hint" at what we need to do with it: Put it in some pretty style and leave it the heck alone. Those with slippery can't-hold-a-do hair are the ones meant to wear it out daily coz it won't do anything else for very long anyway. Now 4B-ers err when instead of making the most of this wonderful, obedient mane, and doing right by it and wearing it in unique styles that could stay neat for as long as we aren't bored with them, we keep bugging the heck out of it.

Look at Mwedzi... I remember when she'd be so frustrated with her hair. But the minute she stopped manipulating it and found ways to style it that aren't abusive to it, her hair exploded and she got to MBL in the blink of an eye.

I agree with this 100%.

I think our hair is designed to loc. And locs get long. Anything contrary to that is fighting against this hair type, IMHO. If your hair isn't dense and/or thick like Sera's and you're not locked, I think the odds are against you getting to WL. There are & will always be exceptions though, but that's just my conclusion from my own observations.

I feel like I always ask this question because people use these words for different things but when you say "thick" you're talking about the strand of hair or the density as well.

May I introduce you to our beloved Sera. She has type 4B hair that obviously isn't meant to be short: http://www.youtube.com/sera2544

ETA: I do not think Western influences are why we grow 4B hair long. If you ever read the book Hair Story you will discover what a glory African hair was, how elaborately it was worn long, and how proud Africans were to show it off, way before white folks intruded on their land. It may also help you understand why it is that slaves were so ashamed of their 4B hair. They had never in all their lives worn it un-groomed and here they were with no combs and no time to tend to it. So they wore scarves or shaved it off, because they were used to having long hair, but not long hair that was unkempt. 4B hair got a bad rap not because it's the worst kind of hair there is, but because it was hair that those who had it were used to wearing it in smart dos, but found themselves w/o tools to do so, and it brought shame to not work it like they were able to back in their homeland.

Maybe I should have said long and straight hair.

I think shrinkage goes back to the need for people living in hot Africa to stay cool around their necks and shoulders...and also the shrinkage provides a canopy-like compact shield from the sun so our brains don't get fried. It's all in the genius of our Maker.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking. Along the same lines of how we have darker skin and more melanin to protect us from the hot African sun, our hair texture probably serves the same type of purpose. We are all made in different ways for different reasons - so I do think that 4B hair was designed for a purpose, be it short or long - it's coilly nature has something to do with our original environment and nature IMO.

Good thread OP I was actually wondering the same thing yesterday ( after a full day of detangling and styling my hair:wallbash:)

For those of you saying longer is easier, at what length would you say it gets easier with respect to natural hair? Also, would you say detangling longer natural hair is easier? Why?

when my hair was shorter I was not able to make big chunky twists that wud stay in tact during washing etc, that is key at least for me.

well my hair is only just abt SL now and it took me 15 mins to detangle over the weekend ... this is down from almost 45 mins, and I truely stumbled upon the technique

1. I DCd on dry hair overnight (I had in twists, I pulled out abt 10 twists at a time and applied the DC mix and twisted into a big twist)
2. woke up, hair was soft like buttah, pulled out each twist and finger detangled then used my denman on each section the twisted back up

step 2 took only 15 - 20 mins

then I co-washed and did everything else while my hair was in twists so my hair stayed detangled.

I wud imagine once i have more length, it will take longer to detange only b/c there is more hair to detange but not because its more tangled/matted etc.

I feel like I always ask this question because people use these words for different things but when you say "thick" you're talking about the strand of hair or the density as well.

I mentioned both thick and dense in my post, but "thick" refers to the strand diameter. I think density may play the larger role in retention, however. That's just speculation from my own observations, though.

our hair texture probably serves the same type of purpose. We are all made in different ways for different reasons - so I do think that 4B hair was designed for a purpose, be it short or long - it's coilly nature has something to do with our original environment and nature IMO.

this is nothing but the truth :yep: textured hair is to unique that I truly believe that there is a reason for every one of its features. i remember reading a post on here the other day where someone said maybe 4b hair is naturally dry because most of our ancestors that had that same hair type lived in humid regions in Africa. Don't remember who said it, but I thought that comment was absolutely brilliant.

Good thread OP I was actually wondering the same thing yesterday ( after a full day of detangling and styling my hair:wallbash:)

1. I DCd on dry hair overnight (I had in twists, I pulled out abt 10 twists at a time and applied the DC mix and twisted into a big twist)
2. woke up, hair was soft like buttah, pulled out each twist and finger detangled then used my denman on each section the twisted back up

then I co-washed and did everything else while my hair was in twists so my hair stayed detangled.

oooh i like this idea. so do you do any type of detangling before putting the DC on your hair? or do you just ignore the tangles till the next day?

when my hair was shorter I was not able to make big chunky twists that wud stay in tact during washing etc, that is key at least for me.

well my hair is only just abt SL now and it took me 15 mins to detangle over the weekend ... this is down from almost 45 mins, and I truely stumbled upon the technique

@the bolded...soo true!

I also wash and deep conditioner my hair in chunky twists now and it has made detangling my hair a lot easier and less stressful. I had serious challenges when I was washing my hair loose.

I mentioned both thick and dense in my post, but "thick" refers to the strand diameter. I think density may play the larger role in retention, however. That's just speculation from my own observations, though.

Oh, I saw that. I thought you were just emphasizing "density." That's an interesting theory. I've always thought the opposite that the thickness of the strand is more important. If all your strands are fragile and thin (like mine), it doesn't matter how much of them you have (like me), the strands will break leading to short hair. If your strands are thicker (which I tend to think of as stronger, less prone to breakage. Maybe this is incorrect?), the density does not matter, you'll still have long hair though it won't be as voluminous as some one who has dense hair. I think that's why black hair doesn't retain as easily. Our strands tend to be finer with less cuticle layers. Like spaghetti vs a lead pipe. I think it's all in the strands.

Last edited:
I'm liking the responses :yep:

I wonder what our big lips and wide/flat noses are for? hmmm...??? Anybody wanna take a stab at it? I'm curious.....(or I could just google it :lol: )

No hair TYPE is designed to be short. However, certain people's hair is designed to be short simply because of genetics. All of us have terminal length. That is the length we just stop growing and cannot go past because of our genes. Many people try to prove this by saying things like "well if your mom and dad and everyone in your family has short hair, most likely you'll have short hair too that can't grow long" which is silly since perhaps they're just ignorant about how to retain and maintain. If majority of people in your family have short hair that does not mean you are destined for it. The only way to find out would be taking a genetics test.

I see a lot of people are missing the original poster's point. She never said that 4b hair doesn't grow and she never said that it was impossible for 4b to retain length. She didn't mention anything about terminal length either.

Type 4 hair is as fragile because of the area our ancestors grew up in. Africa is a very hot continent (especially since the equator runs through it). In order for the Africans to survive the heat their hair can't be too long. This would be one of the explanations as to why our hair shrinks up so much, why it is naturally dry, and why it is so fragile. If black people where in Europe we would have type 1 or maybe even type 2 hair. The reason for this is because of the cold climate, thier hair would be used as a form of protection (a way to keep them warm) during the winter.

Regardless of the type of hair you have, you have to manipulate it is some form in order to properly take care of it.

I see a lot of people are missing the original poster's point. She never said that 4b hair doesn't grow and she never said that it was impossible for 4b to retain length. She didn't mention anything about terminal length either.

Op said;
So my question is,

is type 4 hair SHORT by DESIGN?

Just because the OP did not mention anything about terminal length does not mean I cannot discuss it. It is a part of my response that I saw fit to type. I don't believe I am missing the point. I do believe that people can respond in way that fits their perception of the question asked.

I wonder what our big lips and wide/flat noses are for? hmmm...??? Anybody wanna take a stab at it? I'm curious.....(or I could just google it :lol: )

Apparently, once people began to migrate into colder temperatures, their skin lightened, hair became stringier, and noses thinned to withstand the cold air. I don't know if it's ever happened to you (it has to me) when you are in extremely cold wind, it kind of takes your breath away for a moment. Apparently, the aquiline features are supposed to combat that.

Type 4 hair is as fragile because of the area our ancestors grew up in. Africa is a very hot continent (especially since the equator runs through it). In order for the Africans to survive the heat their hair can't be too long. This would be one of the explanations as to why our hair shrinks up so much, why it is naturally dry, and why it is so fragile. If black people where in Europe we would have type 1 or maybe even type 2 hair. The reason for this is because of the cold climate, thier hair would be used as a form of protection (a way to keep them warm) during the winter.

Regardless of the type of hair you have, you have to manipulate it is some form in order to properly take care of it.

very good points, Abdijz
One of the reasons i thought it was important to ask this question is that i have noticed that the more i understand the nature of my hair and the reasons for its physical characteristics, the more i love it. when all is said and done, i absolutely love my hair and I am enjoying the experience of seeing it flourish--kinks, curls, frizz, knots and all :)

The lips kiss better and more sensually, show expressions more clearly from afar, and are so beautiful too, and we could afford to have them without risking them freezing to death and turning blue because our climate allowed us to have it all. If full lips weren't beautiful, you wouldn't be seeing all the cosmetic procedures or lipsticks for plumping lips up that seem to be the rave these days.

The short, wide nose enable us to breathe better, speak more clearly without nasal interference, and to drink out of a full calabash without drowning. And as Kmn1980 said, we could afford to have a wide, easy-to-breathe nose because we didn't live in a cold environment that required us to keep our noses slightly closed.

Last edited:
Op said;
So my question is,

is type 4 hair SHORT by DESIGN?

Just because the OP did not mention anything about terminal length does not mean I cannot discuss it. It is a part of my response that I saw fit to type. I don't believe I am missing the point. I do believe that people can respond in way that fits their perception of the question asked.

The op didn't ask if type 4 hair was short by design. She asked if type 4 hair is designed to be short. It may seem like a matter of semantics but the way her question was worded makes all the difference. Type 4 hair shrinks on itself, it grows up and out as opposed to down, due to it's shape type 4 hair is prone to dryness. To retain length most type 4s have to do things to their hair that goes against it's natural tendencies (keep it confined in protective styles, keep the length stretched, braid, band, twist, relax, use heat etc...)After a certain length, I don't see many type fours that just wash and go (shrunken afro) retaining a lot length. To retain length most type fours have to alter the shape of their hair.

I think so, in fact I have always thought so.:look: Not saying it is imposible for 4b hair to grow, but I have always thought of it to grow APL and below to be well...unnatural. Now my mother has 4a/b TBL hair and she never manipulates it which is why it grows so long.

I am also factoring in how long it takes to grow to also show that 4b hair may be designed to be short. Short hair is not bad to have:ohwell:. Many African women have short hair. I also think it is designed to be short because unlike white women or Asians or whoever, I think black women look better than any other race, in short hair. I do also agree if it weren't for European conditioning, alot of us would be wearing short hair and be okay with it.

I think if 4B hair was designed to be short, it'd get to a certain length and then just break off because something in its design would prevent it from being able to support the weight of its new length. I do think by designed it's supposed to curl back down no matter what its length for the temperature control and scalp protection already mentioned.

By design, eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair on your skin are supposed to stay short which is why you very rarely see people covered in long hair from head to toe looking like baboons. When you do see a hairy person, they are more of a freak than the norm.

The op didn't ask if type 4 hair was short by design. She asked if type 4 hair is designed to be short. It may seem like a matter of semantics but the way her question was worded makes all the difference. Type 4 hair shrinks on itself, it grows up and out as opposed to down, due to it's shape type 4 hair is prone to dryness. To retain length most type 4s have to do things to their hair that goes against it's natural tendencies (keep it confined in protective styles, keep the length stretched, braid, band, twist, relax, use heat etc...)After a certain length, I don't see many type fours that just wash and go (shrunken afro) retaining a lot length. To retain length most type fours have to alter the shape of their hair.

Not true. There are enough people with locs who don't do ish to their hair, that means not even trying to make the locs look cute, but just letting them do their thing. IMO 4B hair breaks because of abuse not because it is designed to break and stay short.

Perhaps a better statement would be 4B hair is designed to stay shrunken.

Last edited:
interesting topic OP. I dont think any hairtype is designed to be short but I do think protective styling makes all the difference when it comes to type 4 hair. Just my .02. :yep:

Not true. There are enough people with locs who don't do ish to their hair, that means not even trying to make the locs look cute, but just letting them do their thing. IMO 4B hair breaks because of abuse not because it is designed to break and stay short.

are you talking about free form locks because retwisting locks at the root count as manipulation that aids in retention.

quick question: Would a wash and grow afro eventually form free form locks if left unmanipulated?

oooh i like this idea. so do you do any type of detangling before putting the DC on your hair? or do you just ignore the tangles till the next day?

no detangling, I basically "shingled" in the DC I didnt try to separate any tangles at that time.

The beauty of it is that after marinating in the DC all night, I hardy had any tangles to deal with in the morning and most importantly the slip was awesome.

For those of you saying longer is easier, at what length would you say it gets easier with respect to natural hair? Also, would you say detangling longer natural hair is easier? Why?

My hair is SL(some strands are close to APL) and detangling was easier when my hair was short(under 5 inches). I didn't have to comb my hair and I could get away with finger detangling. With longer hair, I have to wash in sections and detangling takes time and patience. I have to use a comb or I will have tangling, knots and breakage. It's not necessarily harder (depends on your perception/experience) but it does take more time. I guess it depends on what is important to you and the amount of time one is willing to invest to achieve their desired look/length.

Nixx, I think as you get more familiar with your hair, you start to realize that tangling doesn't have to be part of the process. The last time I had to detangle my hair was once in 2008. Before that, I honestly don't remember. And I only ever use a comb to comb out my afro, otherwise if that's not the style I'm going for, then I finger comb all the time.

When I do wear my hair out, I wear it in an afro puff every day and plait it every night. Every morning, I comb it with ease and tangles never feature into the program. At night, I finger part and comb and plait, then baggy. My lube is S Curl alone. If I don't put it into braids or twists for longterm, I wash it in plaits but there's no detangling at all necessary, just combing through fully detangled hair. Why, coz it never gets tangled in the first place.

When hair is longer, you need fewer braids to keep it detangled when you say goodnight to it, and it takes less time to undo and comb them out. I guess I can't address detangling because it's no a process I find myself doing. Didn't do it when my hair was shorter and don't do it now.

Nonie, I felt like a light bulb literally exploded in my head when i read the bolded. Maybe our hair is not short by design. Maybe it is meant to be left alone by design! :yep: No wonder that's the biggest thing all the long haired naturals have in common--they do a lot of protective styles

I knew I'd get new perspectives from this thread. Thank you, ladies. I'm sure alot of other people have some great insights to share. I can see this thread turning into a celebration of 4b natural hair. It's easy to focus on the frustrating things about our hair but this post has inspired me to think of my hair as a protective canopy instead of a mass of tangles :lachen:

You guys are both right ..It is meant to be left alone.. Its funny how loc'd naturals don't have issues with breakage etc. that loose naturals do.. Maybe our hair is meant to be loc'd?

Back