Is 4b hair DESIGNED to be SHORT?

For my 4b hair I'm learning that most combs are not designed with it in mind. Even afro piks are often too small for my hair (need to find one of the wiiiide ones) I've been too focused on getting every knot out my hair and I'm realizing now I don't need to. So what if the comb doesn't glide thru from root to tip? My new goal is just to keep my hair from locking and matting and we've been getting on smashingly since then. All this to say its just about finding what's best for our hair type and not trying to make it act like 3a/b hair.

This! All of the 4bs I know with long hair have SUPER thick strands that survive can manipulation better than most
my aunt has fine strands and is wl (natural) another aunt is relaxed and always had mbl hair

it could happen to us too ( crossing fingers)

Last edited:
This! All of the 4bs I know with long hair have SUPER thick strands that survive can manipulation better than most

^^also agree with the growth phase. I dont think ive met a long-haired 4b without long, thick hair everywhere....eyelashes, eyebrows, etc

Its almost like you can look at someone's face and conclude he/she can grow/maintain longer hair.

I may be reaching but just my observations!

I am a 4b and have fine to medium strands. I am less than an inch from WL and I dont have thick hair everywhere such as my eyelashes, eyebrows. I will say fine hair does require a lot more babying/protective styles than other hair types but it can be done.

The answer to the OP's question has two aspects, depending on which way you interpret the question.

Biologically speaking,
yes, type 4 hair was designed to grow and break off at a typically shorter length, based on its chemical structure and growth rate. That is because most peoples who had type 4 hair lived in the hot, harsh climate of sub-Saharan Africa at the time we developed into the different races, and it was Nature's way of keeping our most vulnerable body part (our brains) protected against the insulating effects of a straighter, more fur-like hair texture. That is also why the further north you get, the straighter (and more fur-like) human hair becomes. Ever notice how cool your head felt if you ever rocked a TWA, even in summer? It's because our hair grows up and away from our scalp, not down, allowing for air to circulate through to our scalp when our hair is short, keeping it cool.

Now, if you're thinking in terms of "it is destined to be short, so why try to grow it long," then no, type 4 hair can grow as long as our bodies allow it to. As humans, we have learned to manipulate our environment to suit our whims, and that includes the functioning of our bodies. We have learned techniques that can help us work with our hair to make it look its best and grow it as long as we want, but what keeps messing us up is that we are still trying to use techniques/standards/products meant for types of hair other than our own.

No matter what we do (and I relax my hair mind you), we do not have type 1, 2, or 3 hair (most of us, anyway), and using methods that work for those types of hair will not work for us, nor make our hair look like those types of hair without destroying its health and integrity. Our grandmothers knew this (they were told this rather consistently, albeit in very harsh ways), so they were not abusing their hair in all the various ways that we do to make it look like what it's not (i.e., straight). They kept it up and out of the way, to grow however it did, usually long from the pictures I've seen.

It wasn't until we started pressing, then konking, then relaxing, then greasing and gelling our edges, then weaving the hell out of our hair to make it look like other races' hair did it start to get shorter and shorter. And now that the natural hair movement has taken hold and given us back more of the knowledge and understanding we once had of our hair, the pendulum has begun to swing back to where some of us are realizing our hair's full potential, regardless of the way we choose to style it. I relax my hair, but I know now that relaxing it does not mean I can treat it like natural type 1, 2 or even 3 hair--it is still and always will be type 4 hair, and once I learned how to properly care for my lovely, kinky hair, it has rewarded me with the length I have desired. :yep: Does it mean I have to take more time with it? Yes! Does it mean I have to baby it more than other types of hair (especially since I damage it with relaxer)? You bet! Does it mean I can't wear it down every day and manipulate the hell out of it with combs, cuts and color like my straighter-haired friends? Most definitely! But I wouldn't trade it for the world, because it is healthy, it is unique, it is beautiful, and it is all mine. :grin:

Last edited:
koolkittychick

I like your analysis. I have read the anthropological explanation of our hair before and it definitely makes sense. I just wonder why middle easterners do not have a similar hair type. I have met Saudi's with kinky hair, but I don't know if these particular ones have some sub-Saharan admixture or it is a result of adapting to their environment.

I am a 4b and have fine to medium strands. I am less than an inch from WL and I dont have thick hair everywhere such as my eyelashes, eyebrows. I will say fine hair does require a lot more babying/protective styles than other hair types but it can be done.

You all give me hope! Im 4a with fine but dense hair! There is life.

What has worked for you?

@koolkittychick

I like your analysis. I have read the anthropological explanation of our hair before and it definitely makes sense. I just wonder why middle easterners do not have a similar hair type. I have met Saudi's with kinky hair, but I don't know if these particular ones have some sub-Saharan admixture or it is a result of adapting to their environment.

My guess would be as a result of their environment as well. The Middle East is subject to weather occurrences such as powerful sandstorms which do not occur in sub-Saharan Africa. From the footage I have seen online, they can be just as bad and destructive as a blizzard. They are also weather phenomenon where having a more insulating and protective type of hair such as 1, 2, or looser types of 3 would be much more advantageous to protecting your head from whipping sand than having type 4. At least that is my theory. :ohwell:

@koolkittychick

@Ogoma
I've always heard that our hair evolved as we were transitioning from 'ape-like' hominids to anatomically modern humans. IOW, as we began losing fur, exposing pink skin, 4b hair evolved to protect pre-humans during that transitional stage. Sort of like a compensatory measure.
My guess is that, once fully modern human, that selective advantage of our hair type was lost in Africa itself - I say this because I've met some Somalis (who, by and large, are pure African), with very loose/type 2 hair. Since non-Africans are believed to be descended from groups that left East Africa (Ethiopia, Tanzania, etc.) it's not far-fetched to assume that the Africans that left to populate the rest of the globe already had a looser hair type.

For all my rambling, what I'm saying is that I think non-kinkier hair types developed amongst humans while in Africa because 4b hair's "protective" advantage was not needed anymore. ETA: I'm not sure other groups (e.g. Middle Easterners) outright evolved straight hair from kinky hair... the first humans that arrived in that region from Africa may have already a looser hair type to begin with.

Last edited:
I did a search the other day online for tailbone and classic lengths 4b and 4c heads of hair and I didn't find anything. With the exception of the same few names, it seems like it is rare. Even when searching waist length and hip length, more options come up but it is still a tiny number compared to looser hair types. In real life, I may see a child every once in a while with those lengths but never adults. I don't think it's rare by design, I just think that a good number of us equate 4b/4c with being "tough" when our strands are actually fine and that's why regular manipulation doesn't work well for us.

@Ogoma
I've always heard that our hair evolved as we were transitioning from 'ape-like' hominids to anatomically modern humans. IOW, as we began losing fur, exposing pink skin, 4b hair evolved to protect pre-humans during that transitional stage. Sort of like a compensatory measure.
My guess is that, once fully modern human, that selective advantage of our hair type was lost in Africa itself - I say this because I've met some Somalis (who, by and large, are pure African), with very loose/type 2 hair. Since non-Africans are believed to be descended from groups that left East Africa (Ethiopia, Tanzania, etc.) it's not far-fetched to assume that the Africans that left to populate the rest of the globe already had a looser hair type.

For all my rambling, what I'm saying is that I think non-kinkier hair types developed amongst humans while in Africa because 4b hair's "protective" advantage was not needed anymore. ETA: I'm not sure other groups (e.g. Middle Easterners) outright evolved straight hair from kinky hair... the first humans that arrived in that region from Africa may have already a looser hair type to begin with.

I have been interested with this topic for a while. Have you ever seen National geographic video family tree?
In the video there is this aboriginal fillopino (sp?) tribe that has dark skin and curly/kinky curly hair. The scientist said the climate resembles Africa therfore most of their dna remained intact. They also discuss dna makers but don't explain how they are lost/mutated as the human population branches off.

Anyway, kinky hair was one of the original traits from Africa but primates do not possess kinky hair. It could have been a protective shield. Or sometimes I think it's like natural selection. Maybe type 4 hair was considered attractive. Probably moist and fluffy during the ice age weather change. Also, Zebras' hair resemble kinky hair but lions' manes are straight. That's always baffeled me if it's due to the climate, why don't more species possess the trait.

I always thought middle Eastern groups lost some of their traits during the Arab/Islamic slave trade (mixing with cacausians and meditarianians) but that's just my thinking. Sometimes I am way out there with no evidence lol. I am always open to discussion. Love it. :)

You all give me hope! Im 4a with fine but dense hair! There is life.

What has worked for you?

Keeping my hair in protective styles works the best and keeping my products simple, but moisturizing often. No special secrets or formulas, but for me I use my own homemade products such as whipped Shea butter with aloe or glycerine, my homemade spritz with conditioner, oil, water and aloe. For protein which is an absolute must for me I use henna and Aubrey Organics GPB at least once a month. I also try to deep conditioner weekly with Aubrey Organics Camila Rose or my Cholesterol. I don't use heat at all and I'm generally in an updo or twists the majority of the time. I do have days/weeks when I wear my hair out because I feel you have to enjoy your hair in every stage, but I know the longer my hair gets the older the ends are so generally if I wear it out for too long a trim is in store. I try to trim every 3 months as well. I'm currently in yarn braids for about 3 months so that when I take these out I should be WL. HTH

I have been interested with this topic for a while. Have you ever seen National geographic video family tree?
In the video there is this aboriginal fillopino (sp?) tribe that has dark skin and curly/kinky curly hair. The scientist said the climate resembles Africa therfore most of their dna remained intact. They also discuss dna makers but don't explain how they are lost/mutated as the human population branches off.

Anyway, kinky hair was one of the original traits from Africa but primates do not possess kinky hair. It could have been a protective shield. Or sometimes I think it's like natural selection. Maybe type 4 hair was considered attractive. Probably moist and fluffy during the ice age weather change. Also, Zebras' hair resemble kinky hair but lions' manes are straight. That's always baffeled me if it's due to the climate, why don't more species possess the trait.

I always thought middle Eastern groups lost some of their traits during the Arab/Islamic slave trade (mixing with cacausians and meditarianians) but that's just my thinking. Sometimes I am way out there with no evidence lol. I am always open to discussion. Love it. :)

I think you're referring to the Aeta of the Philippines. Google the Andamanese - you will be pleasantly surprised.:yep: They're "Black people," sure... and they're also the original settlers of India. Both the Aeta and the Andamanese are classified as Negritos, a 'racial' group that's believed to have settled southern Asia after humans left Africa. I believe there are Negritos in Malaysia and Thailand as well. I read something years back claiming that Negritos may have lived in China as recently as a millennia ago.
As far as genes go, I've heard the exact opposite: Negritos are genetically 'distant' from Africans. The Andamanese cluster most closely with Indians, for instance, despite their remarkable resemblance to us.

Ari8 Thank you. I'm going to do some personal research on the weekends. I find this so interesting. Just me being a nerd haha.

Also, to address the thread's topic. Imo, I don't think 4b hair is designed to be short. Only hair that's designed to be short is hair with a short anagen growth phase which varies on an individual level. Maybe 4b hair in general prefers to be stretched or in a protective style more often than not.

My natural hair is 4b with thick strands including eyebrows long lashes and sideburns. My hair has been long twice- full mbl and bsl as an adult and it has also broken at an alarming rate :( I've been natural, relaxed (currently), braided up, weaved up and dyed if that helps.

I really appreciate your response.
I've been on this forum since '08, stay in plats (underneath a half wig) 90% of the time, use heat 2x a year, stayed off bandwagons for the past 3 years and the longest I've ever reached was about an 1" above from bsl.

I think I'm missing moisturizing consistently, as well as protein treatments. I know better, just don't do better b/c my hair is hidden so it's easy to forget about.

Keeping my hair in protective styles works the best and keeping my products simple, but moisturizing often. No special secrets or formulas, but for me I use my own homemade products such as whipped Shea butter with aloe or glycerine, my homemade spritz with conditioner, oil, water and aloe. For protein which is an absolute must for me I use henna and Aubrey Organics GPB at least once a month. I also try to deep conditioner weekly with Aubrey Organics Camila Rose or my Cholesterol. I don't use heat at all and I'm generally in an updo or twists the majority of the time. I do have days/weeks when I wear my hair out because I feel you have to enjoy your hair in every stage, but I know the longer my hair gets the older the ends are so generally if I wear it out for too long a trim is in store. I try to trim every 3 months as well. I'm currently in yarn braids for about 3 months so that when I take these out I should be WL. HTH

Cipriana of urban bush babes and her twin sister make me believe it is possible!!

NGraceO

Attachments

• image-869374526.jpg
    image-869374526.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image-3140602476.jpg
    image-3140602476.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 130
^^they look like 4a or some kinda 3 type to me.
In response to this thread id say 4b hair's dryness and it's tendency to a tighter curl causes more stress points which means it's more susceptible to breakage. So in answer, I do think by design it's not meant to be long because of the purpose of Afro hair is to shield the hair from the sun.

That's not to say it can't grow long, there's plenty of evidence to say it can but it just needs work.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NGraceO do you know anything else about their hair stats? I mean, are they fine-haired 4c's?
^^they look like 4a or some kinda 3 type to me. In response to this thread id say 4b hair's dryness and it's tendency to a tighter curl causes more stress points which means it's more susceptible to breakage. So in answer, I do think by design it's not meant to be long because of the purpose of Afro hair is to shield the hair from the sun. That's not to say it can't grow long, there's plenty of evidence to say it can but it just needs work. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ladies, see Ogoma's helpful post:

NGraceO

^^they look like 4a or some kinda 3 type to me.
In response to this thread id say 4b hair's dryness and it's tendency to a tighter curl causes more stress points which means it's more susceptible to breakage. So in answer, I do think by design it's not meant to be long because of the purpose of Afro hair is to shield the hair from the sun.

That's not to say it can't grow long, there's plenty of evidence to say it can but it just needs work.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Sometimes I think people stop recognizing hair as 4b/c once it gets longer, because of the way the added weight pulls on the coils. And, as far as I've seen, most super long 4b/c ladies wear their hair stretched at all times, so that probably has something to do with it too. I remember when Naptural85 had short hair and people talked about what beautiful 4b hair she had. Now that it's longer she gets called 4a all the time, and sometimes even 3c. So there may be more longhaired type 4bs and 4cs than what immediately comes to mind.

Last edited:
Back