Is 4b hair DESIGNED to be SHORT?

alive

I hope this does not offend anyone but I have 4b hair that is slightly past my shoulders and this is a question that has been on my mind lately.

Left in its natural state,
1. it tangles incredibly easily leading to breakage
2. it is on the drier end of the spectrum
3. cuticles need help to stay down
4. it shrinks, giving the appearance of short hair
5. it’s the most fragile hair type

I love my hair in its natural state but the longer it gets, the more I wonder whether I am fighting against nature. In order to maintain long natural hair, it seems that we need to make our hair straighter/stretched using twists, braids, relaxers, or heat.
So my question is,

is type 4 hair SHORT by DESIGN?

I really want to hear your thoughts on this in case I’m missing something :yep:

Last edited:
If it was designed to be short it would stay short. I think all hair needs to be maintined in a certain way when you are trying to achieve a certain look with it.

I doubt that our hair type is meant to be short. It's like asking if skin is meant to be dry. God made us dry but has also given us remedies: Butters, Oils and Water. It does get :wallbash: but half of the fun is learning what works for us. :yep:
Stick it out. you'll meet your goals :rolleyes:

I think if more 4's knew how to care for their hair, it would grow just as long as everyone elses. There are too many examples of 4's with long hair on the internet and youtube to believe that we can't grow it.

I think it is much easier to keep it short then it is to keep it long. I think it has short tendencies. I think if it wasn't for Western influences, most black people with 4b hair wouldn't care about long hair because it isn't as easily achieved and seems like more of a hassle. In that sense, yes I think it is designed to remain fairly short. Fortunately, we live in a world where something's original way of being can easily be manipulated with knowledge and care.

Last edited:
No, I don't think it's designed to be short. I don't have 4b hair but I believe all hair grows. My best friends hair is 4zzz and relaxed and it's APL. It's all about what you do to retain length. My hair doesn't need a relaxer. It's curly but grows in straight and I was practically bald because I wasn't taking care of my hair. I think people feel my hair should be long because of it's texture but bottom line, no matter what texture, hair can be long if maintained properly :-)

I don't think its an offensive question. I have wondered the same thing myself. I agree that it takes manipulation of some sort for 4B hair to grow long, but I don't think you are necessarily fighting nature. Its just harder for us.

I don't think its an offensive question. I have wondered the same thing myself. I agree that it takes manipulation of some sort for 4B hair to grow long, but I don't think you are necessarily fighting nature. Its just harder for us.

OT- Your cornrows in your siggy are very pretty!! Did you do those yourself?

May I introduce you to our beloved Sera. She has type 4B hair that obviously isn't meant to be short: http://www.youtube.com/sera2544

ETA: I do not think Western influences are why we grow 4B hair long. If you ever read the book Hair Story you will discover what a glory African hair was, how elaborately it was worn long, and how proud Africans were to show it off, way before white folks intruded on their land. It may also help you understand why it is that slaves were so ashamed of their 4B hair. They had never in all their lives worn it un-groomed and here they were with no combs and no time to tend to it. So they wore scarves or shaved it off, because they were used to having long hair, but not long hair that was unkempt. 4B hair got a bad rap not because it's the worst kind of hair there is, but because it was hair that those who had it were used to wearing it in smart dos, but found themselves w/o tools to do so, and it brought shame to not work it like they were able to back in their homeland.

If you scroll down the first pages of Hair Story to page 2, you will see one hairstyle from back in the day: http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Story-Un...=UTF8&qid=1281972818&sr=1-1#reader_0312283229 which isn't short. And there are more images in the book.

Last edited:
Interesting question.

I'm inclined to think that it IS designed to appear compact due to the shrinkage factor. No matter how long 4b hair grows (could be waist-length), it will still shrink up to a head/face framing afro form where it doesn't necessarily "hang" (provided it has not been heat damaged)....nothing wrong with that though.

Last edited:
I agree with the ladies, it has everything to do with how you care for what you have. Hair growth is based a lot on cause and effect, not just genetics.
There are so many type 4 WL inspirations on LHCF and God is too good for me to believe otherwise.

I have 4b hair, its relaxed..... I know it is harder to work with when its in its natural state, I know this because I was trying to grow my natural hair out but had to re-relax it because it was becoming difficult to have to use a pressing comb first then flat iron. Now I just flat iron and save like 30/40mins and less heat on my hair.

However, I have never had a prob with my hair not growing :)

This a great topic and I hope more respond. I see where you're coming from OP and I think you make some interesting points. It does appear to me that in order to retain length, one must keep their hair stretched in order to prevent tangling and SSKs. If I was to keep my hair in it's natural state (shrunken and unmanipulated) I do believe that I wouldn't be able to retain length as opposed to when I keep my hair in stretched state. I believe I would get a lot more breakage due to tangling issues. So I do believe that there is some validity to believe that natural 4b hair is meant to be short if left in it's natural, unmanipulated state. That doesn't mean we can't achieve length. It just means we have to style it some way to retain length.

The longer my natural hair gets, the more challenging it is to deal with. I can see why some people go the relaxer or heat route in order to achieve length. I have had thoughts of cutting my natural hair and keeping short just because it's easy to deal with and I like the way it looks on me. Maybe one of these days as it was one of my favorite styles. For now, my current goal will be no longer than BSL/MBL and I don't plan to go back to relaxing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying the diversity of perspectives in this thread. Just to clarify, when I say designed to be short, I don't mean that it won't grow or that the length cannot be retained. I'm referring to the ease of keeping it short versus growing it long.

So far, I'm getting the sense that it boils down to how we take care of our hair. Keep it coming ladies :)

It's not designed to be short, it just needs more maintenance which not many people are willing to learn

This a great topic and I hope more respond. I see where you're coming from OP and I think you make some interesting points. It does appear to me that in order to retain length, one must keep their hair stretched in order to prevent tangling and SSKs. If I was to keep my hair in it's natural state (shrunken and unmanipulated) I do believe that I wouldn't be able to retain length as opposed to when I keep my hair in stretched state. I believe I would get a lot more breakage due to tangling issues. So I do believe that there is some validity to believe that natural 4b hair is meant to be short if left in it's natural, unmanipulated state. That doesn't mean we can't achieve length. It just means we have to style it some way to retain length.

The longer my natural hair gets, the more challenging it is to deal with. I can see why some people go the relaxer or heat route in order to achieve length. I have had thoughts of cutting my natural hair and keeping short just because it's easy to deal with and I like the way it looks on me. Maybe one of these days as it was one of my favorite styles. For now, my current goal will be no longer than BSL/MBL and I don't plan to go back to relaxing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Thank you, Nixx. This captures exactly what I'm getting at. I know my hair can grow long and healthy without chemicals but it does seem to take more effort and the very nature/physical characteristics of my hair type seem to lead to breakage (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

May I introduce you to our beloved Sera. She has type 4B hair that obviously isn't meant to be short: http://www.youtube.com/sera2544

ETA: I do not think Western influences are why we grow 4B hair long. If you ever read the book Hair Story you will discover what a glory African hair was, how elaborately it was worn long, and how proud Africans were to show it off, way before white folks intruded on their land. It may also help you understand why it is that slaves were so ashamed of their 4B hair. They had never in all their lives worn it un-groomed and here they were with no combs and no time to tend to it. So they wore scarves or shaved it off, because they were used to having long hair, but not long hair that was unkempt. 4B hair got a bad rap not because it's the worst kind of hair there is, but because it was hair that those who had it were used to wearing it in smart dos, but found themselves w/o tools to do so, and it brought shame to not work it like they were able to back in their homeland.

If you scroll down the first pages of Hair Story to page 2, you will see one hairstyle from back in the day: http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Story-Un...=UTF8&qid=1281972818&sr=1-1#reader_0312283229 which isn't short. And there are more images in the book.

Thanks for posting this Nonie. I just ordered the book it looks like a great read!!

I'm really enjoying the diversity of perspectives in this thread. Just to clarify, when I say designed to be short, I don't mean that it won't grow or that the length cannot be retained. I'm referring to the ease of keeping it short versus growing it long.

So far, I'm getting the sense that it boils down to how we take care of our hair. Keep it coming ladies :)

For me longer is easier. I was always a ponytail/bun type of gal, even when relaxed or in braids. I generally pull my hair back and it would be easiest if my hair was long enough to put in a puff or preferably a bun.

no .... 4b hair is meant to be as long as we allow it to be !!!!

This is a pic of me @ 10 .... all the way back in the early 80's when my poor Mom had to deal with my big ole head of hair. And even without a "regimen", fancy organic sulphate free yadda yadda yadda, butters, oils, daily moisturizing and sealing, caring for ends etc, my hair was long (by most standrds) and thick. My hair is in 4 plaits here.

thhair.jpg

products used ... shampoo and dax grease. My hair was washed every sunday and combed for the week in either 2 or 4 plaits, wore a scarf (cotton btw) to tie down hair each night.

So in essense my hair was left to do what it wanted to do - of course while offering it the basic grooming and hygenic requirements.

I fully intend to reach this length and longer ... and when i do I will post this pic @ 10years old and my hair in the same style and doing the lil jig I was doing when the pic was taken.

I wont be able to fit into my prep school uniform though DWL

For me longer is easier. I was always a ponytail/bun type of gal, even when relaxed or in braids. I generally pull my hair back and it would be easiest if my hair was long enough to put in a puff or preferably a bun.

exactly ... yes Ive always found that longer hair is easier to maintain, mainly b/c u can bun, french roll etc

I hope this does not offend anyone but I have 4b hair that is slightly past my shoulders and this is a question that has been on my mind lately.

Left in its natural state,
1. it tangles incredibly easily leading to breakage
2. it is on the drier end of the spectrum
3. cuticles need help to stay down
4. it shrinks, giving the appearance of short hair
5. it’s the most fragile hair type

I love my hair in its natural state but the longer it gets, the more I wonder whether I am fighting against nature. In order to maintain long natural hair, it seems that we need to make our hair straighter/stretched using twists, braids, relaxers, or heat.
So my question is,

is type 4 hair SHORT by DESIGN?

I really want to hear your thoughts on this in case I’m missing something :yep:

Any hair professional will tell you that all hair needs work. I believe that hair can be trained to do anything. And this board is a good starting resource for tips and techniques that will help you overcome any of the problems on your list.

1. it tangles incredibly easily leading to breakage - learn the correct way to use combs and brushes for your hair type and this goes away. go to youtube and watch videos ... and watch the pros too not just the diy'ers. read books. you will pick up things.
2. it is on the drier end of the spectrum - lots of good tips here for oils, conditioners and other moisturizers for every hair type - including 4b. When you hit the right combo your hair won't be dry.
3. cuticles need help to stay down - see number 2. that's what conditioners are for. If hair still feels a bit rough - use a flat iron to smooth them (the cuticles) down and they will stay down till you wet it again. heat averse/allergic? - use a warm flat iron.
4. it shrinks, giving the appearance of short hair - keep it stretched.
5. it’s the most fragile hair type - if you eat a healthy diet, supplement as needed, and follow the right conditioning regimen then your hair will not be fragile. People come here all the time asking for a regimen - but there is no one size fits all that can be delivered without one on one consultation so if you wanna use this board as a resource you also have to be willing to experiment and there will be some trial and error. See number 2.

I think the difficulty with 4B hair comes about when people try to make it do what is not normal to it. I am having the easiest journey ever. I'm not retaining as well as I could, coz I'm not doing sh**, yet my hair is growing w/o a doubt. Coz even with the breakage I get due to not protective styling or sealing, in 3 years, I've gotten here from starting with about 3 inches in 2007.

I think shrinkage goes back to the need for people living in hot Africa to stay cool around their necks and shoulders...and also the shrinkage provides a canopy-like compact shield from the sun so our brains don't get fried. It's all in the genius of our Maker.

In fact, I think the fact that 4B hair is delicate and holds styles for so long is a "hint" at what we need to do with it: Put it in some pretty style and leave it the heck alone. Those with slippery can't-hold-a-do hair are the ones meant to wear it out daily coz it won't do anything else for very long anyway. Now 4B-ers err when instead of making the most of this wonderful, obedient mane, and doing right by it and wearing it in unique styles that could stay neat for as long as we aren't bored with them, we keep bugging the heck out of it.

Look at Mwedzi... I remember when she'd be so frustrated with her hair. But the minute she stopped manipulating it and found ways to style it that aren't abusive to it, her hair exploded and she got to MBL in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
I know what you mean OP, I'm forever having difficulty with mine :perplexed:. Oh well, best keep my chin up, it can't be that possible after all the long haired ladies I keep seeing on here with my hair type.

Last edited:
For those of you saying longer is easier, at what length would you say it gets easier with respect to natural hair? Also, would you say detangling longer natural hair is easier? Why?

My hair is SL(some strands are close to APL) and detangling was easier when my hair was short(under 5 inches). I didn't have to comb my hair and I could get away with finger detangling. With longer hair, I have to wash in sections and detangling takes time and patience. I have to use a comb or I will have tangling, knots and breakage. It's not necessarily harder (depends on your perception/experience) but it does take more time. I guess it depends on what is important to you and the amount of time one is willing to invest to achieve their desired look/length.

Last edited:
also the shrinkage provides a canopy-like compact shield from the sun so our brains don't get fried. It's all in the genius of our Maker.

In fact, I think the fact that 4B hair is delicate and holds styles for so long is a "hint" at what we need to do with it:

Nonie, I felt like a light bulb literally exploded in my head when i read the bolded. Maybe our hair is not short by design. Maybe it is meant to be left alone by design! :yep: No wonder that's the biggest thing all the long haired naturals have in common--they do a lot of protective styles

I knew I'd get new perspectives from this thread. Thank you, ladies. I'm sure alot of other people have some great insights to share. I can see this thread turning into a celebration of 4b natural hair. It's easy to focus on the frustrating things about our hair but this post has inspired me to think of my hair as a protective canopy instead of a mass of tangles :lachen:

For those of you saying longer is easier, at what length would you say it gets easier with respect to natural hair? Also, would you say detangling longer natural hair is easier? Why?

My hair is SL(some strands are close to APL) and detangling was easier when my hair was short(under 5 inches). I didn't have to comb my hair and I could get away with finger detangling. With longer hair, I have to wash in sections and detangling takes time and patience. I have to use a comb or I will have tangling, knots and breakage. It's not necessarily harder (depends on your perception/experience) but it does take more time. I guess it depends on what is important to you and the amount of time one is willing to invest to achieve their desired look/length.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

I feel my hair is easier now that it's past SL because if i try a new hair style and it backfires, i can easily throw it into a bunny tail and go about my business; whereas, if my hair were any shorter, i would have a crisis on my hands.

My hair isn't really easier to detangle though so maybe people are referring to more styling options and backup styles like buns and french rolls

I know what you mean OP. I don't think it's designed to be short. I think it's designed to be compact pursuant to the climate.

I think our hair is designed to loc. And locs get long. Anything contrary to that is fighting against this hair type, IMHO. If your hair isn't dense and/or thick like Sera's and you're not locked, I think the odds are against you getting to WL. There are & will always be exceptions though, but that's just my conclusion from my own observations.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

I feel my hair is easier now that it's past SL because if i try a new hair style and it backfires, i can easily throw it into a bunny tail and go about my business; whereas, if my hair were any shorter, i would have a crisis on my hands.

My hair isn't really easier to detangle though so maybe people are referring to more styling options and backup styles like buns and french rolls

Yes, you're right. Styling wise longer is easier and ultimately that's why I want longer hair. For the versatility in styling options. Maintenance is a different story.

Back