interesting experience shared by my personal trainer

Funny a guy pulled over today, chatted me up and gave me his card for a lawncare business :lachen: I was very amused...

Around here, any guy who has done some situps and played hoops in high school claims he's a "personal trainer". So, I can see why women would give him the side eye. There's a vast difference between being a "personal trainer" and being at the level of a TV trainer, or a gym owner. So, it's easy to blow them off as slackers.

I suppose that every time he hands his card to "other" women they always gasp and say, "Oooh, you're a personal trainer!? No wonder you have such niiice biig muscles..." while squeezing his biceps and batting their eyelashes.

Oasis
hasn't personal trainer become the new rapper/model/actor? i know if i was given a card like that i would assume he just worked out at the gym every once and a while with his friends, giving fitness advice. i probably wouldn't think he had any actual certification.

:yep: I feel the same way!
I have received I don't know how many "personal training" cards from men over the years. I tend to think they're trying to drum up business when they're handing me their card. Plus, can't you get your personal training certification online? I'm not even trying to be funny. So, if a "personal trainer" came up to me, I'd probably ask him what he really does.

An ex-coworker of mine is a personal trainer too. He used to train some of my coworkers...I heard in more ways than one...but you know....

Last edited:
I don't think the fact that he gave out the card is the issue. He didn't mention being rejected by "WOMEN", but BLACK WOMEN. He gets other women just fine. It seems people are ignoring that issue

There's a stereotype attatched to personal trainers.. Most are stereotypical hoe$. They try to talk to EVERYBODY.

I noticed this going to Bally's, My sister's ex was a training H., friends constantly complain of this. Icing on the H-cake? I love my brother! My brother is GORGEOUS. MARRIED with children. A PERSONAL TRAINER and has always been a H.:look: And so is his trainer friends.:look: So maybe that's where the laughs came from. I steer clear of them.

That's what would be running though my mind. They definitely have that rep.

And the fact that other women don't have a problem with him could be because they are all about getting their jungle fevah on and just don't care.

ok.
1. Glib, why are you wasting your breath talking to a black man about dating out? You are wasting your breath AND making yourself look like a Jill Scott with a burning soul (which I know you are not, but HE will see you that way :down: )

2. All this :pray: Oh Please! Please share your magnificence with a BW! :pray: <- Not a good look.

3. Being so invested in who he dates makes him feel like he is so very important. This will gas his head up all the more. The last thing we need is more BM with giant egos :nono:

4. He is unlikely to be honest about it with you. Frankly, people pursue who they want. He wants non-black women. All the :blah: about it is just that :blah:

5. His talk of how he graced a BW with his card even though there were WW around sounds like he considers it a charitable act to attempt to get at a BW (esp when there are "better" options around :rolleyes: )

I dont' think it's a wise practice to ask BM about how they date out. They are unlikely to really be able to hear you anyway... all they hear is more Jill Scott stuff and get pumped even further up. :nono:

Well, dang. LOL. It wasn't that deep . . . we just shoot the breeze talking about everything during workouts (that's the only way I can make it through sometimes - I *hate* to exercise). So it's not just about dating/relationships, but church, politics, music, etc. This was just something that we particularly talked about this past week. He is like a brother to me at this point so . . . *shrug*

hasn't personal trainer become the new rapper/model/actor? i know if i was given a card like that i would assume he just worked out at the gym every once and a while with his friends, giving fitness advice. i probably wouldn't think he had any actual certification.

Yeah, I was trying to tell him this . . . these days any meathead who spends a lot of time at the gym giving people tips considers themselves a "trainer." But he's certified and all that stuff, won awards in body building competitions, etc. so he's legit. But yeah . . .

are u sure he is FIONE?

Um, yeah. :lol: It's so funny. When I first started working with him, I went to show my mom his business website and her jaw dropped. "THAT's your personal trainer?!?!? You've got a lot of nerve working out with HIM." :lachen:

This!!! I would much rather someone ask for my number instead of whipping out his business card. It's confuses the intent - are you networking or trying to get to know me personally? Plus, I don't call men. You need to be writing down my number or something. I've noticed that when men do this, most of the time its accompanied with some sort of pompousness or arrogance...idk. I usually throw them right in the trash. Excuses...

There's a stereotype attatched to personal trainers.. Most are stereotypical hoe$. They try to talk to EVERYBODY.

I noticed this going to Bally's, My sister's ex was a training H., friends constantly complain of this. Icing on the H-cake? I love my brother! My brother is GORGEOUS. MARRIED with children. A PERSONAL TRAINER and has always been a H.:look: And so is his trainer friends.:look: So maybe that's where the laughs came from. I steer clear of them.

^^^I agree with both of these . . .

I see some excuses up in here. So becky never rejects them?

I suppose that every time he hands his card to "other" women they always gasp and say, "Oooh, you're a personal trainer!? No wonder you have such niiice biig muscles..." while squeezing his biceps and batting their eyelashes.

^^^See, that's the way he makes it seem. Basically he says that non-black girls are generally more "fun loving" and don't get turned off by his approach . . .

He did say that his last girlfriend (who was South Asian) did end up breaking up with him because she couldn't handle all of the women who were always up in his world (because, as you guys said, in the fitness industry that's kind of the way it goes).

^^^See, that's the way he makes it seem. Basically he says that non-black girls are generally more "fun loving" and don't get turned off by his approach . . .

He did say that his last girlfriend (who was South Asian) did end up breaking up with him because she couldn't handle all of the women who were always up in his world (because, as you guys said, in the fitness industry that's kind of the way it goes).

Non-BW are more fun-loving eh? Well if all he wants is fun then go for it. This guy seems to like female attention and doesn't really want a real relationship. Personally I'm turned off by a guy handing me his business card if he's got a romantic agenda. First, because it means he wants me to call him and that's not how I roll. Second, I'd also think he's just advertising his services to me. And third, I'm not into personal trainers for a lot of the reasons people have already posted here.

Why did I laugh out loud at the woman in the Bentley story? Blahaha

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:lol:

she did like this

cat-driving-car-50-cent-12597960668.jpg

I agree with some of the previous posts, I always assume when a guy gives me his business card their first priority is either networking or drumming up some business, any romantic interest is secondary and only if I am willing to make the first move which I hardly ever do. I definitely see it as a guys way of testing " how thirsty is she"?

This may be true to a certain extent but I agree with ambergirl that a lot of the fun-loving girls may just be looking for a "fun" experience with a fine black personal trainer.. that's a setup for many a fantasy lol. When it comes down to it he's not with any of those great women anymore right?

Why is he giving them his card? He should be taking their numbers so he can call them.

Maybe your personal trainer should get out more and see how other men handle their business.

So, I have a 30-something, male personal trainer. Good guy, college educated, and FOINE. :lick: (Sidebar: Although he is very attractive, I have zero interest in trying to date him. He's basically like a brother to me at this point.) He has his own fitness company and does personal training full-time. He hasn't *made it* yet, but he's on his way because he hustles. Anyway, a lot of times we talk about relationship issues and I always give him a hard time because he "dates everybody" :rolleyes:, which is to say he dates every race of woman except black women . . . well, let me rephrase, it's not that he doesn't date black women, but he finds that he mostly ends up in relationships with non-black women. I always give him a hard time about this and he tries to give me his perspective about the type of resistance he gets from black women. He shared two stories with me recently:

Story #1 - He was out riding his bike and a sister in a Benz rolls up. They both stop at a red light. She smiles. He smiles back. "Nice bike," she says. "Nice smile," he says back. He then gives her his card. When she sees that it's a card for his personal training business, she laughs and then drives off.

Story #2 - He recently went to a happy hour sponsored by some friends of his. When he got there, Beckies were all over him. But he saw one sista in the spot, so he made it his business to go over and speak to her. Things were progressing well until he gave her his business card. He said her face fell when she saw that he was a trainer. She then blew him off and he was mad because not only did he miss out on dealing with her but then also the numerous Beckies trying to holla at him :lol:

When he told me all of this, I explained that even though he is clearly an educated person - clean cut, well-spoken, etc., etc. - the idea that he's a trainer might be a turn off to some of us because there are so many black guys who are "meat heads" who are really superficial and aren't about anything. Also it could be that the women are turned off by the fact that this is how he makes his income because it's not "steady" like a regular 9-to-5 job. I don't think that made him feel any better, though. *lol* He was like, "Man, see THIS is why I don't deal with sisters . . . they don't even give you a chance!"

Do you agree with my assessment of the situation? What are your thoughts about this whole thing?

Discuss!

I don't think its the fact that he's a trainer. If a man did that to me I would be embarrassed because I would personally think that he's telling me to hit the gym and that he would offer his professional services. If he was trying to get to know me on a personal level he could offer his number not a card. :perplexed

Since when is being a personal trainer a "low" occupation? :look: Where is this at?

I don't think its a low occupation but I think its one where a handful of people make well above the average salary. Its one where you have to grow, maintain, and continue to grow a large client base to succeed. You don't start out making a lot its up to that person to hustle to make sure they get and keep their lucrative clientele.

I'm sorry, but your personal trainer is stupid. How does he expect a woman to react when he gives her his card advertising his personal training business?

Back