Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I think it is necessary, especially for fine-haired ladies. I tried to phase it out of my routine and replace it with moderate protein and the results were not good.:nono:

Girl Kacie, it's really funny. I went stalking some fotkis a few minutes ago and came across Chicoro's method of using the 2 step Aphogee and guess what? I have been handling my hair all wrong after washing it out. Now I will definitely give this treatment a fair chance and hopefully my feelings for it will change for the positive:yep:.

I have been checking this thread out almost daily....It has been so much help to me on my stretch....Im sixteen weeks and still going...Im scared to join or make a date..I might crash and burn...Hahahaha

Good to see you here Traycee. Join us Sweetie at least 6 months:grin:. I'm over 16 weeks post also ad using Sylver's method of stretching is helping me a lot along with henna treatments of course. Besides, you can always use the ccoconut, yogurt and lime treatment or the homemade caramel treatment to help make it easier to stretch longer:yep:.

I have been checking this thread out almost daily....It has been so much help to me on my stretch....Im sixteen weeks and still going...Im scared to join or make a date..I might crash and burn...Hahahaha

I'm so glad you posted here because I have been looking for the link to your blog for two days.

I'm at 14 weeks post and managing quite well. I have a little afro going on and people are still telling my my hair looks so nice. Few people realise I haven't got my hair redone in a while. Co-washing, moisturisers and Sylver2's scarf method I tell you work wonders for blending the two textures. I've got another 14 weeks to go if I decide to retouch. So far I am very happy:yep: Oh, I've decided to tweak my regimen. Very low manipulation from here on end...

Last edited:
To BlondebyDesire

How are you detangling your hair? What works for me is to split my hair down the middle to wash/condition. I make sure to condition the new growth as well as the relaxed ends. To detangle I use my Jilbere shower comb to lightly detangle the relaxed portion. I don't touch the new growth.

After my hair has air dried, I take very small sections and pull apart the new growth. Imagine you're pinching a baby's cheeks (index finger to thumb/using both hands). I gently "pinch" separate the new growth and all shed hair simply slides out. I experience nearly zero breakage doing this, it only releases the shed hair that caught in the new growth.

Remember your regi and keep up with it. Some parts of my regi (hard Aphogee,clear color rinse) are associated with relaxer time or close to it. It's easy to forget to do those things when you're stretching.

Thank you - that's the term I may have been searching for "slide out" Because it just slides out - you defined that very well. I'll have to start splitting down the middle when I wash - I do split wheni co-wash. Also not to touch the new growth only the relaxed ends. Very helpful.

Reporting in...19 weeks post as of today. Still about 6 more to go. Things are going really well. Experiencing some hair anorexia because my shrinkage is ridiculous. Well of course I understand about shrinkage but you know how that can be. I have about 2.5-3inches of new growth. I think closer to 3 inches. I measured in this small mirror at work. Will measure again once I get home. I'm texlaxed and use heat and/or flatiron only a few times a year. Also my hair is wet 5 days a week and airdried in a bun. So rationally it's understandable that I'm having the hair anorexia but thinking I'm losing my edges and my hair is starting to fall out?? I need to get a grip!!!

This is me to a "T". I made 17 weeks Saturday. I am tryin' to make it to 20. I think I am gonna starting rinsing & heavy moisturizing every other day to make my hair more manageable.

Ok..after going back and forth w/ whether or not I want to transition and so undecided I came across this challenge and said this would be great for me to join and just call it strecthing that way if I breakdown early I won't feel so bad.:-o So...I'm in..late but better then never..right..I'm at 7 weeks post now so I have a long way to go but I know I'm going to get a lot of help from everyone in this group. :)

Hi guys. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow.. And so far I have no problems. And i want to do a 6-month stretch. I'm starting to cave in to the cracks. Someone please talk me out of it.

I'm used to 12-14 week stretch. But this time i want to be pleasantly surprise when i get my next relaxer. And i know a 12-14 week stretch is not going to do it for me.

Helllppp I am weak right now.

Ended a 13 week stretch last night. My hair looked horrible and I couldn't do anything with it and no money to get my tree braids again.

Report: No gain in length, horrible job on a self relaxer, very underprocessed..but twice the thickness.

I'm depressed.

Ended a 13 week stretch last night. My hair looked horrible and I couldn't do anything with it and no money to get my tree braids again.

Report: No gain in length, horrible job on a self relaxer, very underprocessed..but twice the thickness.

I'm depressed.

Awwwww Supermodelsonya..Im sorry to hear that.....You had to gain some length or you wouldn't have needed a relaxer...Its sounds more like retaining issues...That's ok...You retain all your length next time around :yep:

Last edited:
I would like to join this challenge. I am currently 7 weeks post and I seriously think I am going to transition after my MAJOR setback 2 mos ago...

Hang in there Supermodelsonya, looks like you have made great progress so far.

I"m at least hoping to make it relaxer free until October which will be about 6 months or the end of the year...

Rai

Hey Guys, I'm 9 weeks post today. Last night, I used my steamer for the first time to DC my hair, then I washed and did a ponytail roller set. My new growth is still not giving me any problems (yet). I was too tired to do a saran wrap treatment so I wrapped and went to bed. My hair turned out quite nice. I think I'll continue to do ponytail rollersets until I can't get my roots straight anymore.

Hi guys. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow.. And so far I have no problems. And i want to do a 6-month stretch. I'm starting to cave in to the cracks. Someone please talk me out of it.

I'm used to 12-14 week stretch. But this time i want to be pleasantly surprise when i get my next relaxer. And i know a 12-14 week stretch is not going to do it for me.

Maybe you could get your hair braided or wear half wigs or a weave. Put your hair away until the urge to relax has passed.

Thanks everyone. I don't understand why I didn't retain. I was in braids since March. This hair growing thing is really depressing. I think I'm gonna log off now. I keep making comparisons to everyone else's progress and its making me feel worse.

Time to hide my hair again.

Ended a 13 week stretch last night. My hair looked horrible and I couldn't do anything with it and no money to get my tree braids again.Report: No gain in length, horrible job on a self relaxer, very underprocessed..but twice the thickness. I'm depressed.
Thickness is nothing to dismiss. A lot of ladies on here would love to have thickness. My hair is quite thick and I appreciate that.

Thanks everyone. I don't understand why I didn't retain. I was in braids since March. This hair growing thing is really depressing. I think I'm gonna log off now. I keep making comparisons to everyone else's progress and its making me feel worse.Time to hide my hair again.
For your sake please do not compare yourself to others. It's a set up.

We're here for you.

Thanks everyone. I don't understand why I didn't retain. I was in braids since March. This hair growing thing is really depressing. I think I'm gonna log off now. I keep making comparisons to everyone else's progress and its making me feel worse.

Keep an eye on your hair to see how it's doing. Are you experiencing breakage or does your hair feel strong and healthy. Thickness is definitely a good thing. Maybe moisture is the issue. Hiding the hair is a wonderful way to help retain length but you still want to make sure you are addressing any hair issues that may be going on underneath.

I'm 11wks post and my normal routine is 12wks (which is when my hair really becomes unruly) but I'm still shooting for 6 months. I think at this point I'm going to wash every two weeks to cut back on manipulation. I have an inch or more of new growth and it's thick and hard to manage but I've never went that long without washing. Any suggestions?

Keep an eye on your hair to see how it's doing. Are you experiencing breakage or does your hair feel strong and healthy. Thickness is definitely a good thing. Maybe moisture is the issue. Hiding the hair is a wonderful way to help retain length but you still want to make sure you are addressing any hair issues that may be going on underneath.

Actually now that I've stopped freaking out, I've noticed that my hair did get longer. I was just severely underprocessed. Just a little longer I should say. But it got twice as thick which is a good thing I guess.

I should stop trying to be a length whore and focus on overall health.

Didn't think my regimen could get any simpler but it has. I'm now 15 weeks post and it just doesn't look it but I know I have a lot of NG.

I haven't washed or combed in 14 days since my last co-wash. My NG went flat after my last co-wash and I haven't had any poofiness since. I lightly moisturise with S-Curl, pay attention to my edges and ends and keep in an loose updo with a few tendrils hanging at the front. I also sleep in a satin scarf every night. In the morning, I'll redo the updo if I feel it's necessary, using hands and fingers only, moisturise the tendrils and I'm good to go. Obviously this is working because I'm getting compliments at 15 weeks post:yep:! I'll wash tonight or tomorrow though and do a protein treatment.

Don't give in yet. Think about how much thickness and length you'll have after 6 months. That's worth waiting for!

Sorry you feel this way but you know we are our worst critics. I'm sure you've made pretty good progress. You said it's thicker. That's great!

If you really think that you've done something wrong whilst your hair was in braids to hinder retention, go over your regimen and try to find the culprit. Make sure you have a good idea of what it could be before you braid again and how to solve the problem otherwise you end up in the same situation a few weeks from now.

The worst thing you can do is to compare your hair to others'. We all have to learn that along the way. Focus on the health of your own hair. If you are doing all the right things consistently the length will follow.

HHG!

OP may I join this challenge? I was planning on relaxing on 16 Jul, but I'm getting BKT in the mail soon so I hope that I can stretch longer.

I love to play in my NG...I had a dream last night :sleep: that I was playing in my NG. I moved my fingers down the length of my hair and guess what happened..:shocked:...a clump of ends about 3 1/2 inches long came out...I began to run my fingers from root to NG all over my head and more and more clumps of ends were breaking off. I woke up this morning in a panic the first thing I did was touch my head to make sure my scarf and bonnet were still there then I started checking my pillow for hair...
Are my relaxed ends messing with my head to make me go back to the creamy crack sooner than my end date goal for my stretch?????

I'm going to try for 6 months, first. If I can do that, I can make a year. I want to transition from relaxed to texlaxed. What styles are you using to stretch? Please give me some advice.

Last edited:
Thanx honeyA that's what keeps me going. And I figure what l am going to keep to do that has worked for me. Every time I get the urge to relax. I wash my hair knowing I have to wait another week or two before I can actually get the relaxer. That will be me more time if I keep doing this.

My stretch ended Thursday May 21, 2009 with a horrible underprocessed relaxer. So my new stretch begins. I'm gonna see if I can take it all the way to September 10th 2009.

That will be sixteen weeks. Hope I can make it. I'm going to use my tree braids, bunning, and sew ins. I also started my Biotin, B12, and I'm going to start my GA's again.

If it is not to late I would like to stretch. i currently do 4 times a year but going for twice a year. I really think the less I relax the better for my hair health. So I want to wait until December to post.

I tried my first self relaxer in march after a 3 month stretch and it was SOOO underprocessed. I think it took me to about 2 months post. So if I get it mid december i will be about 10 months according to my calculations:drunk:

Back