Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I'm 8 weeks post with another 6 to go. I really wish I could join you super long term stretchers but I have highlights and going too long without a touch up looks janky. :ohwell:

Is it too late for me to join? My hair has become so thin, I dont know if it was the Silk Elements relaxer or what. I am going to attempt to stretch the entire summer and wear braidouts, wigs and half wigs. I wash once a week, and co wash 1 - 2 week. I braid up my wet hair and cover it with my half wigs or a scarf so I do not have to do much manipulation.

Woo hoo, 17.5 weeks and counting - I have a minimum of 14.5 more weeks to go:yep:. I just got my extension braids installed yesterday and will attempt to keep them in for about 7 or 8 weeks.

Hi all... i've seen the posts from the folks who want to be added. I will add you guys tomorrow It's extremely late here and I am about to go to bed.

Of course I will hit the 5 month mark soon then I will have only 1 month left on this stretch but I don't know that I will make it. I'm starting to lose more hair than I am used to at least since I started on this journey. I'm implementing some new things that I hope will combat this.

whoo i'm 19 weeks post and i'm finally going to take out my braids this weekend (at 20 wks post).

but i need to get my hair done for the 15th because i'm taking my senior pictures? i'm not sure how to do that with the two textures though..

I am 7 1/2 weeks post, I have a little over an inch of new growth and I am STRUGGLING!

I have been doing daily braid outs, applying Rusk (a godsend!) and DCing with steam 3x per week. My NG is so wiry.

I am determined to make it to at least 12 weeks, but what do I do in the meantime? :nono:

Last edited:
whoo i'm 19 weeks post and i'm finally going to take out my braids this weekend (at 20 wks post).

but i need to get my hair done for the 15th because i'm taking my senior pictures? i'm not sure how to do that with the two textures though..

u can try a dominican blowout. get rollerset and have them blow the roots only if u want curly or blow all for nice straight look.
or you can do a braidout or twistout

I am 7 1/2 weeks post, I have a little over an inch of new growth and I am STRUGGLING!

I have been doing daily braid outs, applying Rusk (a godsend!) and DCing wint steam 3x per week. My NG is so wiry.

I am determined to make it to at least 12 weeks, but what do I do in the meantime? :nono:

what about bunning sometimes?

I have a question for experienced stretchers. I have some jacked up ends. It looks like I will need a 1.5 - 2 inch trim. Normally, I would wait until I get a relaxer before I get a trim because that way my hair will be completely straight when I get it cut. But with the stretch, it could be a while before I relax.

If I start hiding my ends under phony buns, do you think this will be enough to avoid those ends getting more jacked up? Or, should I go ahead and get a trim now? I know those ends have to come off so the trim itself is not an issue.

I have a question for experienced stretchers. I have some jacked up ends. It looks like I will need a 1.5 - 2 inch trim. Normally, I would wait until I get a relaxer before I get a trim because that way my hair will be completely straight when I get it cut. But with the stretch, it could be a while before I relax.

If I start hiding my ends under phony buns, do you think this will be enough to avoid those ends getting more jacked up? Or, should I go ahead and get a trim now? I know those ends have to come off so the trim itself is not an issue.

i think u should def wait! sometimes during stretches our ends can look crazy. just keep nurturing them and protecting them until the touchup.

i need to get my hair done for the 15th because i'm taking my senior pictures? i'm not sure how to do that with the two textures though..

u can try a dominican blowout. get rollerset and have them blow the roots only if u want curly or blow all for nice straight look. or you can do a braidout or twistout

I was gonna suggest pretty much the same as Sylver2, go to the shop for a roller set and have her press or blow dry your roots.....I did this at 19 weeks post, I believe. I have to say I LOVED the results.

How do you detangle your ng when stretching? Does it take you a long time to do that?

i detangle it only on wash day. in shower under running water with lots of con. at the end of my 1 yr stretch it was taking me u to an hour to detangle. make sure its fully detangled. on my 6 month stretches probably 20-45mins. then i don't touch NG until next wash day. as long as it looks smooth and flat i don't fret about the inside until wash time. i keep it soft/flat with oil, moisturizer and scarf.

I am loving doing cowashes and putting my hair in a wet bun while in the shower. Less manipulation. I only oil it the next day and back in the bun until next wash.

Sylver,

You were right! Bunning was exactly what I needed. I chelated my hair, sealed the cutilcle, moisturized and then bunned.

I was seriously considering taking some clippers to my hair though :ohwell:.

I think that I can make it another 4 weeks minimum.

Sylver,

You were right! Bunning was exactly what I needed. I chelated my hair, sealed the cutilcle, moisturized and then bunned.

I was seriously considering taking some clippers to my hair though :ohwell:.

I think that I can make it another 4 weeks minimum.

:eek2: :brucelee: :bat:

I know you don't want me to come over there!!!!

I looked at the right side of my head and the edges look :nono:. Well tonight I am wearing my bonnet rather than my scarf. I need to use my hydracaps vs my plastic caps for dcing or just steam and I don't use a cap for that. I need to be careful and do looser buns. Hold off on the headbands for a minute. Massage this Shikaki Growth Elixir on my edges. Hopefully all of these small changes will help :wallbash:

My hair was feeling a bit dry but I remedied that by upping my moisturizing to 2x/day and cutting back on how often I use the ayurvedic powders.

I'm starting to wonder if somebody is trying to tell me something.

I'll be 23 weeks post on Saturday, what's still helping me is cowashing 3ce a week, DC'ing 2ce a week, moisturising spritz (water, glycerin, conditioner and evoo) and shea butter mix (pure + unrefined shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil and aloe vera gel).

Still aiming to transition for at least 54 weeks...

Okay ladies I'm about 8 weeks post and I'm feening for a relaxer!!!!...LOL!!!...One of my co-workers (who had amazingly beautiful long hair) just got her hair cut and relaxed and it looks sooooo gorgeous...meanwhile my hair is starting to poof at the roots...HELLLLP!!!...I'm having HAIR ENVY....and I'm feening for my relaxer and a cut!!.....LOLOLOL!!!

I'll be 23 weeks post on Saturday, what's still helping me is cowashing 3ce a week, DC'ing 2ce a week, moisturising spritz (water, glycerin, conditioner and evoo) and shea butter mix (pure + unrefined shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil and aloe vera gel).

I'm going to have to try those mixes...I have all that stuff in the bathroom.

What's the ratio for these mixes. Also where do you buy your shea butter?

Man congrats ladies on these long stretches! Very commendable. I'm still trying not to do this corrective and do a stretch at least until August.

I get my shea butter from Nigeria (My aunt bought what should turn out to be a year's supply for me the last time she went back home)

I have no idea what the ratios are... :nono: I just freestyle, lol. For the moisturising spritz, the conditioner is the most content (aside from the water which is like 3/4s of the whole mix so it's just water featuring these other ingredients), then glycerin and evoo are similar ratios.

Shea butter mix - In a small jar, it's half shea butter, then equal amounts of coconut oil and aloe vera gel and smaller amount of castor oil... Again, I don't really measure it out.

What's the ratio for these mixes. Also where do you buy your shea butter?

Last edited:
Back