Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Hey ladies.. I'm new to the site but would like to take part in this challenge. I'm currently approaching my 13th week post relaxer and would like to continue stretching for another 3 weeks (at least). I have a decent amount of new growth already and haven't had much problems with shedding, but my scalp has been a bit itchy like crazy lately. Any suggestions on how to handle that?

Also, I hear you guys talk about low manipulation and regimen changes during the stretching process, could you elaborate more? I'm particularly interested in hearing how often you shampoo/co-wash/dc/comb/style with heat, etc..

Thanks!

Hey ladies.. I'm new to the site but would like to take part in this challenge. I'm currently approaching my 13th week post relaxer and would like to continue stretching for another 3 weeks (at least). I have a decent amount of new growth already and haven't had much problems with shedding, but my scalp has been a bit itchy like crazy lately. Any suggestions on how to handle that?

Also, I hear you guys talk about low manipulation and regimen changes during the stretching process, could you elaborate more? I'm particularly interested in hearing how often you shampoo/co-wash/dc/comb/style with heat, etc..

Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to the board! I'm 16 weeks post now. Below gives an idea of what my regimen has become. I follow a low manipulation regimen so anything that involves me touching my hair unecessarily and can lead to breakage is out. I posted this last week. DCing went out the window the past few weeks. Maybe not such a good example to follow but hey...

Hope it helps you some but in the end you'll have to see what works for you. Some people manage washing 2-3x a week, others like me have every intention to do so but never get around to it:lachen:. Re the itchy scalp, maybe someone else can offer some advice.

HHG!

Didn't think my regimen could get any simpler but it has. I'm now 15 weeks post and it just doesn't look it but I know I have a lot of NG.

I haven't washed or combed in 14 days since my last co-wash. My NG went flat after my last co-wash and I haven't had any poofiness since. I lightly moisturise with S-Curl, pay attention to my edges and ends and keep in an loose updo with a few tendrils hanging at the front. I also sleep in a satin scarf every night. In the morning, I'll redo the updo if I feel it's necessary, using hands and fingers only, moisturise the tendrils and I'm good to go. Obviously this is working because I'm getting compliments at 15 weeks post:yep:! .

Thanks!

Welcome aboard ...

I'm encouraged with this thread! I am already getting growth, so I'll be able to bun soon. I've decided to not do a retouch on my unprocessed side.:yep: I am hoping to do a full year, now. Originally I was going to do 6 months. This is encouraging me to keep going.

I'm 10 weeks post and I didn't feel like rollersetting so I did a braidout. It's my second one and it turned out pretty good. I followed Sylver2's instructions. I think I may do braidouts for the entire summer.

Great thread. I finally read through it and there are alot of great tips here. I have already made it my personal goal to stretch through this summer so I am going to try that. I would like to be able to push it for a full 6 months but we will see.

Great thread. I finally read through it and there are alot of great tips here. I have already made it my personal goal to stretch through this summer so I am going to try that. I would like to be able to push it for a full 6 months but we will see.

Same here...but going to take it week by week..
I didn't have WEN and a pail of SitriNillah in my life when I tried this before..

Hi all...

I think I have added everyone. If I missed someone, shoot me a PM and I will add you.

And, welcome to the board CocoaMane!!

I'm in. My hair has broken off something fierce on the left back part of my hair due to several reasons (stress, switching relaxers, and not following a regimen) and I lost most of my progress from last year. I am currently 6 weeks post and would love to go for a 6 month stretch. I've done a stretch like that before but I did not handle the two textures well and used a relaxer that was too strong at the end of the stretch. This time I know more about what my hair needs and I will do more protective styling via phony ponies, buns, or updos. I need to find a good moisturizer still though, and possibly two different ones for the two textures. What I use for weeks 1-4 does not seem to be work anymore and my hair just laughs at it.

Last edited:
Awww... Thank you guys for the warm welcome and HoneyA--thanks for sharing your regimen. I may have to up my co-washing to 2x a week to eliminate the itchy scalp, but I'm not sure if I can pass up my DCing just yet--my Giovanni Smooth as Silk has really helped me tame the mess of NG on my head..:grin:

Hi all...

I think I have added everyone. If I missed someone, shoot me a PM and I will add you.

And, welcome to the board CocoaMane!!

Welcome aboard ...

Hi! Welcome to the board! I'm 16 weeks post now. Below gives an idea of what my regimen has become. I follow a low manipulation regimen so anything that involves me touching my hair unecessarily and can lead to breakage is out. I posted this last week. DCing went out the window the past few weeks. Maybe not such a good example to follow but hey...

Hope it helps you some but in the end you'll have to see what works for you. Some people manage washing 2-3x a week, others like me have every intention to do so but never get around to it:lachen:. Re the itchy scalp, maybe someone else can offer some advice.

HHG!

With only 5 weeks left in this stretch I'm starting to feel like I will make it. Did a twist out for the first time yesterday and really liked it so I will continue to use this style on the days I don't cowash in the morning.

My husband is being so supportive I just had to share with you all....I've said before how I've gone back and forth about going natural since starting this stretch. Well I am definatly NOT going natural, LOL...I've also been having bouts regarding ending my stretch. I was thinking of relaxing in June at my 6 month mark, instead of waiting til my bday which would be my 9 month mark. So I tell my husband today that I think I'm going to go ahead and relax in June and how it's ok since I've never gone 6 months before and I'd still be proud, only a little disappointed. He looked at me and said that my hair looks great, considering how long its been. He loves all the styles I do between flexi's, twist outs and buns. So I say that I miss having "fly hair"...He says but its still fly, you get compliments on your buns all the time and I love your airdried ponytails, your hair is fine. Don't get the relaxer hold out til September, you are doing a great job. I was sold instantly. I'd say between the support here and the support at home I'm getting I should make it to September, with only one ore two more breakdown moments, lol.

Hi all...

I was starting to get breakage at the demarcation line so I relaxed (motions lye mild). I am sitting here with the post-relaxer conditioner on my hair now.

I will continue to update this thread for folx still in the challenge.

BTW... I made it 13 weeks--my longest stretch ever!

I did a braidout last Thursday and now 3 days later my hair is a H.A.M. I'm going to co-wash tonight and do another braidout. This time I'm going to dry overnight, that way the braids in the back will be completely dry and I'm going to do smaller braids in the back so it will be more defined. I've got to figure out a way to make the braidout last longer than 3 days.

Hi all...

I was starting to get breakage at the demarcation line so I relaxed (motions lye mild). I am sitting here with the post-relaxer conditioner on my hair now.

dang girl..no warning:lachen: u started the thread. but congrats on making it that far:yep: it does get easier each time.

My husband is being so supportive I just had to share with you all....I've said before how I've gone back and forth about going natural since starting this stretch. Well I am definatly NOT going natural, LOL...I've also been having bouts regarding ending my stretch. I was thinking of relaxing in June at my 6 month mark, instead of waiting til my bday which would be my 9 month mark. So I tell my husband today that I think I'm going to go ahead and relax in June and how it's ok since I've never gone 6 months before and I'd still be proud, only a little disappointed. He looked at me and said that my hair looks great, considering how long its been. He loves all the styles I do between flexi's, twist outs and buns. So I say that I miss having "fly hair"...He says but its still fly, you get compliments on your buns all the time and I love your airdried ponytails, your hair is fine. Don't get the relaxer hold out til September, you are doing a great job. I was sold instantly. I'd say between the support here and the support at home I'm getting I should make it to September, with only one ore two more breakdown moments, lol.

This is so sweet Mrs R, thanks for posting. My SO is white and he just loves my extension braids and tells me so all the time:yep:.

Hi all...

Girl we are here for support to help you hold out. Anyway what's done is done:lachen:

Actually, I was planning to wait two more weeks to see if a few protein treatments could help stem the breakage. But I had been noticing the breakage for two weeks.

Since, I am unemployed I couldn't do braids or a sew-in to hide my hair. The only affordale option was to relax... though I did come pretty close to chopping all my relaxed hair off and going natural.

Maybe you can still be a part of the challenge and try to stretch for more than 13 weeks, this next time. And aim for something realistic - e.g. 16 weeks... ? If you get to 16 weeks and think you can go further, take it one week at a time...

Actually, I was planning to wait two more weeks to see if a few protein treatments could help stem the breakage. But I had been noticing the breakage for two weeks.

Since, I am unemployed I couldn't do braids or a sew-in to hide my hair. The only affordale option was to relax... though I did come pretty close to chopping all my relaxed hair off and going natural.

9 weeks. Relaxing at almost 14. This is a SHORT stretch for me. :look: Last time was over 20 weeks. But I need to relax, and then color for an event at the end of July, so I have to push up my relaxer, giving me a 3 week stretch to prepare for the color. :ohwell:

Back