Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Wow, you ladies are truly inspiring! I am currently stretching in my longest stretch now and I am going to be 18 weeks post tomorrow. I am praying that I can stretch til my birthday, June 24th. That would put me 1 day shy of 28 weeks post but if I make it that far I am claiming it! Lol! :)

Wow, you ladies are truly inspiring! I am currently stretching in my longest stretch now and I am going to be 18 weeks post tomorrow. I am praying that I can stretch til my birthday, June 24th. That would put me 1 day shy of 28 weeks post but if I make it that far I am claiming it! Lol! :)

That's my birthday too - hello twin! :grin:

Good luck on your stretch, I'm sure you'll do it! :yep:

Hello birthday twin!!! I am trying hard to ge there and pretty confident I will do it but I am trying hard to avoid any setbacks. Gotta stay positive! :yep:

Hopefully one day we will be hair twins as well because your hair is :lick:

C'mon, ladies. Keep up! We could've been triplets! My birthday is June 23rd! I'm trying to hit some hair and fitness goals by then. :yep:

C'mon, ladies. Keep up! We could've been triplets! My birthday is June 23rd! I'm trying to hit some hair and fitness goals by then. :yep:

@NJoy & LushLox, What?!!! Say it isn't so! Triplet birthday sistas :grin:

Born 11:59pm 12:00am & 12:01 am! Lol! I feel even more confident I am gonna hit my goals now since my other sisters have beat me to it! :lachen:

Leave it to the baby to hit the goal of MBL/WL last! :lol:

Does anyone manage to stretch successfully for six months and longer without wigs and weaves? Well I know Sylver has/does - but anyone else?

Yep, I do...with no direct heat or breakage issues. I'm 4b/a coarse...once I found the right products it was easy

LOL I'm hesitant to share because we all know...what works for me, might not yada yada...

DC Silicon Mix-> (the original): super slip & moisture

Leave-in-> Lacio Lacio: before this product I couldn't roller set past 6 weeks without seeing the little broken pieces after removing the rollers and manipulating my hair. Now I can roller set up to 6 months & my hair feels extremely moisturized with no breakage (5-6 months in it does look a little puffy but not too crazy :laugh: ).

Daily Moisturizer-> Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme: I can't rave enough about this moisturizer! It's so amazing, and I don't experience build up with it.

That's it! I've been using these products for a year and a half consistently (with the exception of lacio lacio...I've been using that for about 8 months)

Before I was on my "roller set regimen"...I used HE LTR as a leave-in, air dried in 6-8 braids and rocked a braid out up-do. I don't do that much anymore because it was more time-consuming. Even though air drying was quick and easy, I would co-wash 2-3x a week to refresh the braid out & replenish moisture....I was always in my hair!

With both reggies I had no problems with breakage...hth :)

Thanks for sharing nymane I love Silicon Mix, its my staple DC.

Update: Yesterday was my first time trying a braid out.. omg ladies, I think I have found my new summer look.

I love that I can put it up in any style and it's cute! Annnnnd I don't have to use any heat or run a comb through my hair at all! I'm so excited! :)

Does anyone manage to stretch successfully for six months and longer without wigs or weaves? Well I know Sylver has/does - but anyone else?

For my long stretches- I typically do. But this time around- this stretch- I didn't want to be as reliant. So for me, it's been eight months now and I haven't used any wigs, weaves, or braids.

The key for me is to put my hair in a style that I don't need to touch for the whole week and leave manipulation to only one time a week, when I wash. It's actually easier than I thought! :yep:

For my long stretches- I typically do. But this time around- this stretch- I didn't want to be as reliant. So for me, it's been eight months now and I haven't used any wigs, weaves, or braids.

The key for me is to put my hair in a style that I don't need to touch for the whole week and leave manipulation to only one time a week, when I wash. It's actually easier than I thought! :yep:

Indeed that's a big factor, and key for retention - it's something that I need to get better at. What type of styles do you wear during the week?

I was planning to texlax in halves today but, when I unbraided my Celie braids, I had to do some detangling. Then I slapped on some olive and wheatgerm oils. (Take that!) So, can't texlax today. Kicking around thoughts of texlaxing on Monday....but...I'm itching to do SOMETHING NOW!!!!!!!

So, I'm thinking about doing a yummy DC tonight and texlax next week. Ah, decisions, decisions. :dizzy:

Well I was going to end my 6 mos stretch on May 6 BUT hubby is in Japan until mid June and then he gets promoted the end of June so I am thinking about stretching until June 6 which will put me at 7 mos.

Yeah I think Ia m going for 7 mos now but I do so miss my hair.

I am 27wks post! I am trying 2 stay strong and not relax! transitioning is starting 2 get the best for me since - dont know what 2 do with my hair!

I was thinking braids but i have so many products that I need 2 use up! I might just stick 2 wigs, even though its too hot for them!

My biggest problem is I dont know how to keep hands out of my hair! I must put forth more effort! I will do a protein treatment followed by a moisture dc and cowash tonight.

So, I officially ended my 38 wk stretch today. This is the longest stretch I've EVER done. I haven't assessed how well my hair tolerated the stretched yet because I'm DC'g with heat. I will say that I'm happy to have access to my scalp again. Now I can get back to my daily cowashing. :woohoo: Be back later with an update.

So, I officially ended my 38 wk stretch today. This is the longest stretch I've EVER done. I haven't assessed how well my hair tolerated the stretched yet because I'm DC'g with heat. I will say that I'm happy to have access to my scalp again. Now I can get back to my daily cowashing. :woohoo: Be back later with an update.

I can't wait to see! I know the pics will be soooo :lick:! I am trying hard to wait until our birthday sis but I have some serious issues with playing with my new growth. I can't keep my hands out of it! Hurry up and post the pics so I can continue to drool! :lachen:

Ok, so my hair is done enough to assess condition. I blowdried it on cool most of the way and put it up to settle down. This sort of straightens it without having to use a flat iron, for me. So, maybe I can do pics later after it's completely dried.

So, for my assessment, I lightly texlaxed so, there's still a lot of texture in my hair. I wanted the thickness but to handle the ng so that it stops loc'g up. I think I do notice some demarc breakage at the top, back of my hair (makes sense?) I'm not bothered by that much because my hair is layered anyway. I also have a section on the left, front that's shorter (SL) but, I think that because the section is so even, it must be from that time that I got frustrated and cut tangled braids out.

All in all, my hair still looks pretty good and thick. I texlaxed the front a bit longer so that it won't look crazy when I start bunning again (yay!!). And the back is less texlaxed so that I still have that lucious thickness (yay!!)

I don't think I'll stretch beyond 4-6 months at a time from here on out. And that's mostly because I started having major detangling issues after 6 months and my hair looked so crazy that I had to completely hide it under a wig or completely covered to go out.

We'll see how detangling goes for now, since I'm still heavily textured in the back. I also think I'm going to get back to using sulfur and daily cowashing. I still have goals to meet.

Be back later with pics.

Meh. Not so exciting since I just updated not long ago. I did do a small trim because my ends were choppy in a few sections. Most of the trimming was in the layered sections so, not so bad. I blowdried the back portion but didn't bother to do the whole thing because I don't want to use heat. Didn't bother to flat iron the back section for that reason too. But, the texlax turned out nice. Time to get back to babying my hair. I'm behind schedule.

Anywho, here ya go:

comic-p.jpg

Great Job NJoy!

Well ladies I'm still holding strong. Went to the shop today to get washed, and flat ironed. I'll be 20 weeks post on Thursday officially.

I'm 21 weeks post as of today. I am having some serious relaxer withdrawal. If it weren't for these crochet braids, I'd relax this weekend. Four more weeks....only four more.

Last edited:
Back