Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I'll be 33 wks post on Tuesday. I planned to texlax today but I'm in the hospital hoping to be released today. If that happens, I'll texlax and trim tomorrow. I'll probably need that trim after that tangled braids incident. I try to do my chemical processing and trims based on moon phases. The moon is in Cancer, which is moist and favorable for both. Don't ask me to go any deeper than that because I really don't understand it all. Just couldn't hurt. *shrugs*

Now to get outta here.

Ok, so what's really going on? I'm home and decided to prep my hair for tomorrow's texlax. I unbraid one of my bagied braids and realize that the waves from the braid makes it difficult to be sure about what's ng and what's previously relaxed. So I find myself thinking maybe I'll flat iron my roots, give myself a trim and stretch a little longer.

Really now. What gives? Is it possible that I'm hooked on stretching or afraid of txlaxing? I feel like I keep finding reasons to continue. The other thing is my ng looks like texlaxed hair already. I just wish I could keep it from tangling.

Anywho, I'm trying to keep heat out of my hair so maybe wash, DC, airdry in braids and then trim when dry? At least I can trim by the moon. And I need to trim.

My next choice for texlaxing this month will be on the 22nd. *shrugs* I guess I'm actually just thinking outloud, still trying to decide what to do. I'll be 8.5 months post.

I don't know. We'll see. I may just braid my hair up and wig it while I'm going thru this stuff with my mom. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Hi, I made 40 weeks post this weekend.
NJoy, I understand exactly what you are going through. I thought I was going to get a relaxer this weekend, but decided to wash my hair and it felt so good and soft that I changed my mind. :)
I got Silken Child Leave In Detangler from Sally's and I am in love. No matting, quick and easy detangling, and it smells great!!
Happy stretching everyone!

I think you need to just go ahead and do it. Because certain aspects of your life that are holding you back, are only going to create more reasons for you not to do it. Assuming that you don't want to go natural, I say do it, and be a lot my care free when it comes to doing your hair, like you should be.

NJoy, I say wait. If your hair isn't suffering, then there's no rush :)

23 weeks post, I'm toying with the idea of flat ironing my ng only to make bunning easier.

Checking in at 20 wks posts. This is my 2nd time reaching this milestone. Never thought this would happen again. I washed, rollerset and flat iron my roots over the weekend. It went REALLY well compared to that nightmare last weekend. Meaning no major knots and detangling issues. The Dominican conditioner Naturals Key Aloe Vera and Avocoda conditioner has worked miracles the last week, so I'm going to stick with that for now. No changing up anything for me.

Ok. 33 weeks post today and the stretch continues. I didn't trim either. Just couldn't get it done in time. In any case, I bought 2 wigs so that I don't have to look crazy all the time. :rolleyes:

I did wash my hair today and again say that my ng texture looks like texlaxed hair. If only I could make it behave.

I am soo late, but I want to join in lol! I've been without a relaxer for 16 weeks now. I want to see what my hair will look like if I stretched for 1 year.

Silken child is great!!! I use it and don't have any difficulties detangling.

@NJoy, I understand exactly what you are going through. I thought I was going to get a relaxer this weekend, but decided to wash my hair and it felt so good and soft that I changed my mind. :)
I got Silken Child Leave In Detangler from Sally's and I am in love. No matting, quick and easy detangling, and it smells great!!

Yep so 2nd week straightening the ng. This makes my bunning life easier :yep: All that thickness in the crown was starting to cause some tension. I'm dropping back my DC's to 1x weekly, to keep the manipulation low. That should be ok since straight hair is easier to keep moisturized and because its straight I don't really have to manipulate it between washes :yep:

@NJoy, I understand exactly what you are going through. I thought I was going to get a relaxer this weekend, but decided to wash my hair and it felt so good and soft that I changed my mind. :)

Headed to Sally's today to grab some. I bought 2 bottles, used one of my daughter's hair, love it and gave the other to her best friend's mom to use on her daughter's hair. Never thought to use it on mine. Thanks for the heads up!

Checking in at 20 wks posts. This is my 2nd time reaching this milestone. Never thought this would happen again. I washed, rollerset and flat iron my roots over the weekend. It went REALLY well compared to that nightmare last weekend. Meaning no major knots and detangling issues. The Dominican conditioner Naturals Key Aloe Vera and Avocoda conditioner has worked miracles the last week, so I'm going to stick with that for now. No changing up anything for me.

Sounds yummy. Did you get it at your local bss or online?

I wrapped a perfectly good 2 day old roller set at 2 months post. Big mistake :look: I'm not even that far along in my stretch, and I had no idea how puffy the roots were :blush:

Haven't worn my hair straight in a while....

I'm still here, 22 weeks post. The tangle teezer is making my life so easy :)

So true!!! My TT makes my new growth feel like butta! :lick:

I am soo late, but I want to join in lol! I've been without a relaxer for 16 weeks now. I want to see what my hair will look like if I stretched for 1 year.

I'm late too, but I wanna join, too. I am only 7 weeks post, but I wanna try to stretch until my bday in May...which would make me 16 weeks post. The longest I've ever stretched was 2 or 3 months, and the last 2 weeks in that stretch were REALLY difficult, but I think it was b/c I didn't have my technique down...or my TT. :grin:

Girl, why you tryna have me sitting outside Sally's this morning, waiting for them to open?
:lick:

I was just thinking the same thing! :lol:

I wrapped a perfectly good 2 day old roller set at 2 months post. Big mistake :look: I'm not even that far along in my stretch, and I had no idea how puffy the roots were :blush:

Haven't worn my hair straight in a while....

I'll be 17 weeks post on Monday. At this point post I wash, DC, and rollerset my hair 3x's a week to flatten it out some, then it goes right into a bun. There is nothing I can do with my hair this far along without adding direct heat. I am attempting a long-term transition so I will probably flat iron my hair for Easter Sunday mass. I will be five months post at that point. Until then, though, it's wash-condition-rollerset-bun for me.

Also, for those who are having difficulty, three weeks ago I started using the kimmaytube leave-in (with half the oil) and I am not having a SINGLE problem with my hair. I also use the NTM shampoo and hair mask.

I flat ironed my hair today...got the itch out the way,and i'm ready to hop back on board with my wet sets.

2 months post, checking in!

I am currently 12 weeks post and have decided to relax my hair when my boyfriend comes back from R&R. Well first he has to deploy, which will happen in May or July. So my stretch will be over a year, I just don't know exactly how long. This will be the longest time that I have ever stretched. It will definitely be interesting. I'm curious to see how this year goes. I think I can do it. Good luck to you all.

Jaded10 Good luck on the year long stretch, I'm doing one too. This thread is good resource :yep:. Be sure to check out beans4breezy's tips, she stretched for a year and had really beautiful results :yep: Just be sure to take it month by month listen to your hair, you'll learn alot :yep:

I am proud to say that I made it to 32 weeks (8) months post today :yay: I am soooooooo happy.. I never thought that I would ever go this long without a relaxer :nono: but thanks to LHCF I made it. I know my hair will be healthy because of it, no flat irons, no relaxer, shs.. I made it ya'll :woot:

Back