Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Quick Update: I did an overnight dc and my breakage stopped, thank Goodness!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I ended my stretch at 5 months and then went ahead and texlaxed. It turned out great. I made it to right at BSL with the top middle. But if it's curled it hangs at APL. I'm very happy with my hair. My next goal is mid-back length hair. That's what I want.

I'm sticking with Mane & Tail Shampoo and Conditioner as well as Keracare Humecto Conditioner and Redken Smooth Down when I get into months 3 and 4. At this rate, I can safely say I will only have to Texlax twice in 2011 January and then again in June or July if I can make it.

I went back and forth about going natural completely, but I finally decided that this is the best my hair has ever looked and I might as well stick to what works. My DH helped me make the decision. He was so serious about my hair, I guess my love of all things healthy hair has rubbed off!

Just want to update you ladies on my gair! It's still breaking but not as much! I'm focusing on my hair getting balance! I am staying up on the moisture and keeping my hands out my hair!

Just wanted to commend you ladies for stretching so far!! I plan on stretching til 4 months, who knows I may try to go a little longer! Great job!

I'm not sure what's going on with my hair but I'm experiencing some breakage. I blame it on the corrective that I had done, but it is what it is. My hair seems to be protein sensitive now :nono: It seemed mushy so I put some aphogee 2 min and it went down hill from there.

I haven't had a touch up since october, so I'm still trying to decide what I want to do.

Checking in, ladies. I'll be 25 weeks on Tuesday and really considering texlaxing then. Feeling a little guilty because I'm not texlaxing because of any problems with my stretch but, wanting it to look nice and long for an event. Of course, now that I've said that, I'll also consider just flat ironing the roots. *sigh* so much work. We'll see.

As usual, I'm threatening to end my stretch but may not. :grin: I'll keep you posted.

Checking in, ladies. I'll be 25 weeks on Tuesday and really considering texlaxing then. Feeling a little guilty because I'm not texlaxing because of any problems with my stretch but, wanting it to look nice and long for an event. Of course, now that I've said that, I'll also consider just flat ironing the roots. *sigh* so much work. We'll see.

As usual, I'm threatening to end my stretch but may not. :grin: I'll keep you posted.

I can't wait to see it. Will you be relaxing it yourself? Because you, I'm going to attempt another 5 month stretch when I swore never again. We will see.

Well, texlaxing tomorrow is out. I ended up cowashing tonight. I LOVE cowashing! I also detangled while in the shower and braided my hair in 6 braids to airdry and prepare to flat iron my roots a bit. The stretch continues. :spinning:

a little more than sixteen weeks post!
i'm planning my relaxer for the 20th of february.
i'm going to keep my applying my sulfur for two more weeks and then i'll take out my braids and rest it for the remaining two weeks.

I am still stretching and enjoying my hair. I usually have my hair in a beehive cornrow and my wig. I am taking my braid out now and will clairify, moist poo, protein dc, moist dc with my steamer, and is 6 twist for a twist out ready for work on Monday. I will wear it for a week and then back in my beehive for a month. I will continue to do this until May when I am due to relax.

Hello Ladies,

I've been strectching for 4mts now and I would like to continue. The only prb is that I am currently deployed to iraq which means HARD water. Im running into issues with detangling. I absolutely dred getting my hair wet! Which isn't like me at all because I love cowashing. After every wash(even if I braid my hair before) I end up with huge knots close to my scalp. Now my hair is starting to shed like crazy....Are there any suggestions on what I can do to prolong my stretch???

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ladies,

I've been strectching for 4mts now and I would like to continue. The only prb is that I am currently deployed to iraq which means HARD water. Im running into issues with detangling. I absolutely dred getting my hair wet! Which isn't like me at all because I love cowashing. After every wash(even if I braid my hair before) I end up with huge knots close to my scalp. Now my hair is starting to shed like crazy....Are there any suggestions on what I can do to prolong my stretch???

Thanks in advance.

Wow. That's a tough one. Can't recommend a water treatment system in Iraq. :perplexed I know how distressing hard water is. I freaked out while vacationing in Las Vegas and their hard water. Definitely sounds like cuticles are tangling around each other and need to be closed. Problem is, the mineral deposits in the hard water may prevent them from closing properly. I guess I'd have to take my chances pre-poo'g and then using a chelating poo to get rid of the mineral deposits and then close those cuticles and condition well. I wouldn't wash my hair more than once a week or two. Shoot, I don't even know what you have access to. :perplexed

I hope others come with better suggestions. But above all, be careful out there. :bighug:

DC'd my hair last night and was feeling pretty good about my length. I can see that it's still growing, which is a good thing. But, while moisturizing, I noticed a small section of shorter hair on the top of my head. I'm wondering whether that's breakage from this stretch or not. I'm gonna act like it's not and ignore it for now since I haven't seen any broken hairs. I'll be 26 weeks post on Tuesday.

Hello Ladies,

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried bottled water. I would definitely try this for now until you get to an area where you don't have to worry about the water conditions

Sorry your going through this right now.

^^^ Yeah, that's what I had to do in Vegas.

So, I'm planning to texlax and trim @ 7 mos post (28 wks). Again, we'll see how I feel about that when I get there in a couple weeks. I'm taking it one month at a time, trying to inch as close to 12 months as possible. And, if I make it to 12 months, then I'll consider whether to transition or not. I'm REALLY enjoying this thickness but, I don't know if I can handled full on natural hair at a long length. Seems I'd only be able to really wear it out on special occassions and then what? Of course, I suppose that goes for long hair in general, huh? :ohwell: Ah well. Thats' my plan for now.

Hello Ladies,

Thanks in advance.

Hey SunShine, I think oil pre-shampoo treatments followed by a mild chelating poo will help. I have hard water and I pre-poo with oil and wash with ORS creamy aloe; keeps the buildup low without stripping. I remember a member Reecie, she had the same issue when she was deployed. She used to do overnight pre-poo treatments with EVOO + wheatgerm oil:
Girl,

I feel your pain! I got back from Afghanstan in February after being there for 5 months. Here is what you have to do:

Ship a BIG *** bottle of EVOO and Wheat Germ Oil (if Possible). This will be your BEST FRIEND while you are over there. I would prepoo overnight by saturating my hair in oil, putting on a plastic cap, then adding a turbie twist to secure. I would shampoo in the morning. Your hair will thank-you beyond belief.

Please trust me on this one. Your hair will be beyond soft and moisturized. I would have to do this religiously every 3 days to maintain proper moisture levels in my hair.

Good luck.

Hello Ladies,

Thanks in advance.
Pre-pooing with olive oil and co washing with Elucence MB con has been a life saver for me. Its a fantastic leave in as well. Softens everything right up, melts the knots away. HTH

DC'd my hair last night and was feeling pretty good about my length. I can see that it's still growing, which is a good thing. But, while moisturizing, I noticed a small section of shorter hair on the top of my head. I'm wondering whether that's breakage from this stretch or not. I'm gonna act like it's not and ignore it for now since I haven't seen any broken hairs. I'll be 26 weeks post on Tuesday.

Is the hair completely natural?
That is to say, did it break at the line of demarcation?

Is the hair completely natural?
That is to say, did it break at the line of demarcation?

The section is different lengths. I'd say broken in the ng area but not necessarily at the point of demarc. I'm upping my moisture in the ng area, just in case.

The section is different lengths. I'd say broken in the ng area but not necessarily at the point of demarc. I'm upping my moisture in the ng area, just in case.

If it's broken within the new growth, or within the relaxed section of the hair as opposed to at the line of demarcation, then I'd be hesitant to attribute it to stretching alone.

Your moisture/protein balance may be off, or you may be over-manipulating your hair? It could be any number of things.

If it's broken within the new growth, or within the relaxed section of the hair as opposed to at the line of demarcation, then I'd be hesitant to attribute it to stretching alone.

Your moisture/protein balance may be off, or you may be over-manipulating your hair? It could be any number of things.

Yeah, I definitely think it's protein/moisture. My ng feels dry and I forgot that I was preparing my hair to flat iron and put in some chi silk infusion but i also did a protein treatment too a couple days ago. I never did flat iron because of all the drama with my parents. I just forgot and neglected my hair. AND, I'm out of my NTM. Need to make a CVS run right quick but, I don't feel like it. I guess I'll check thru my stash and see what else I have. Blah. My ng is mega thick. I kinda want it flat ironed but, I don't want to do it. :look: Ah well. I feel some 2-strand twists coming. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I definitely think it's protein/moisture. My ng feels dry and I forgot that I was preparing my hair to flat iron and put in some chi silk infusion but i also did a protein treatment too a couple days ago. I never did flat iron because of all the drama with my parents. I just forgot and neglected my hair. AND, I'm out of my NTM. Need to make a CVS run right quick but, I don't feel like it. I guess I'll check thru my stash and see what else I have. Blah. My ng is mega thick. I kinda want it flat ironed but, I don't want to do it. :look: Ah well. I feel some 2-strand twists coming. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel, my car rolled over a few days ago and I've felt really lethargic since leaving the hospital.
No sense in your hair suffering just because your heart is.
sending some good vibes your way.

I know how you feel, my car rolled over a few days ago and I've felt really lethargic since leaving the hospital.
No sense in your hair suffering just because your heart is.
sending some good vibes your way.

Wow. :blush: That's scary. I hope you're doing well. Sending some good vibes your way too. :yep:

Back