Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

just passed 14 weeks. i plan on relaxing my hair on the 20th of february, so i have about six and a half weeks left. :grin:

i'm currently in braids, and i just resumed daily application of my sulfur mixture.

Yiiiiiikes! I'm 6 months post on Tuesday. Lazily in my 2-strand twists. I think I'm gonna keep stretching. I think I might buy a phony puff and see how I like wearing that over my bunned twists. :rolleyes: Dang, I love wearing these twists.

I have read all 82 pages and am very inspired! i have a very bad breakage area i need 2 grow out! Also would like 2 thicken my fine hair! I have gone 7.5 mths post relaxer when i transition 2 natural! I did a relaxer in Oct of last year and I was definitely under process! Plus it was my first relaxer after becoming natural! I will be 13 wks post relaxer on Sat! i a$ having a difficult time due 2 breakage and some products not working the same as they have in the past. Plus I'm pregnant! My hair was also healthier when I stretch the first time! I'm determine 2 stretch until my hair is healthy and much thicker!

Yiiiiiikes! I'm 6 months post on Tuesday. Lazily in my 2-strand twists. I think I'm gonna keep stretching. I think I might buy a phony puff and see how I like wearing that over my bunned twists. :rolleyes: Dang, I love wearing these twists.

Stretching can become addictive. LOL

15 weeks post tomorrow. So far so good, no problems at all. Frequent DCs, keeping up the moisutre on the NG and protein on the ends make my life very easy.

Last edited:
19weeks post today!! So far so good, gonna try airdrying more. 5more weeks to complete my 1st 6months stretch! I may relax or just do a length check and continue!yay!

I'm somewhere around 3 months post, and recently fell in love with roller sets :love:

Don't know when I will relax because I'm away at school and don't trust people with my hair, but I'm trying to hold out until april or may at least. Time shall tell

HHG ladies and stretching :giggle:

Hey ladies I would like to join this challenge but I would like to know how to take care of my hair while stretching so that it doesn't start breaking THANKS LADIES

Carlana, I wash weekly, then deep condition and airdry. After moisturizing and sealing, I braid my hair into about 8-10 big braids and baggy overnight. (+sleep with a satin bonnet on). During the day (outside the house), I slap on my wig.

The key is to keep your new growth moisturized. I use S-Curl and JBCO for this purpose. I apply JBCO to the new growth after airdrying, and spray S-Curl as needed during the week. Also use JBCO to seal my ends as needed.

Ladies, 30 wks post. New growth is still behaving. Still taking it a week at a time.

Last edited:
thank you very much afrochique for responding i just got a fresh relaxer i will try stretching hopefully all goes well........

I wish I could stretch as long as you ladies. I find that my hair starts breaking around 10 weeks. It's like every time I run my fingers across, through or in my hair, it's breaks. I'm noticing that 10 weeks is my max until I learn better techniques for stretching. My other concern is that if I stretch too long, will a stylist be able to work with the ng. I'm quickly learning that stylists in my area are not familiar with how to work on a stretched head.

Diva Start with small increments. Also Jot down the weeks and what you used and how your hair felt; basically a Journal. So everytime to get to the point of wanting to pull your hair out. You'll go look at week 10 and go OHHHHH I used ---- for my hair and it had these results.

I notice I need different things during different times of my relaxer.

I'm a couple days shy of 54 weeks since that texturizer mishap. my hair is poofy but thriving (i think :look:)

its crazy but my hair is so thick and coarse that i dont think most ppl can even tell i had a texturizer a year ago....

have no idea if this is a stretch or a transition...and not pressed about it...

altho when i sweated out my blow out on New Year's I seriously almost wanted to get a perm the next day out of frustration because I was pissed I'd spent $85 for a 6hr hair-do. :lachen:

Then I quickly realized that was silly.

HHG ladies! Anyone else at the (or aiming for) the one year mark?

You all have made me decide to stretch for 6 months. I'm posting here to be held accountable. I've never gone past 13 weeks before. I'm 11 weeks right now and the scarf method is really working for my edges so I'm good. I'm really pleased with my previous stretches so now it's time to take it to another level like you ladies. My 6 month mark will be in April. I never thought I would ever go for 6 months but I think I can.

I'm a couple days shy of 54 weeks since that texturizer mishap. my hair is poofy but thriving (i think :look:)

its crazy but my hair is so thick and coarse that i dont think most ppl can even tell i had a texturizer a year ago....

altho when i sweated out my blow out on New Year's I seriously almost wanted to get a perm the next day out of frustration because I was pissed I'd spent $85 for a 6hr hair-do. :lachen:

Wow! Congrats on passing the 1 year mark! I'm also aiming of for a year I'm 15 weeks post, now getting into the "thick" of things :lol: Last time I made it about 9 months; hopefully I can make it to one year this round :yep:

I'm officially 6 months post on Tuesday. I'm threatening a year stretch but am actually taking it week by week. So far, there's not need to relax, It's not like I'm wearing my hair out anyway. *shrugs* Meh. But we'll see.

Wow.. you ladies are such an inspiration... The longest I've ever stretched is 16 weeks.. WITH the help of twists/braids at the 2 month mark. I'm in kinky twist now, and plan on stretching until February... Good luck ladies!

Yep. 6 months today. :lick: I just washed and DC in twists. I'm detangling each, moisturizing, sealing and retwisting. No touch up planned for me yet. Did I say I'm loving these twists? And I pull them up into a baggied bun to protect my ends. AND the twists are handling my ng?! I'm lovin it!

I'm making great use of this time being snowed in. Taking care of my hair while watching the Game marathon. Prepping for the season premier tonight. :grin:

I'm have been having breakage and i have tried abt everything! I'm still going 2 continue stretching b/c I dont feel my hair is strong enough for a relaxer. I'm deep conditioning right now with ors replenishing con and i'm going 2 follow up with aphogee 2 min and then SE olive moisture treatment! I am hoping this will fix my breakage issue!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am planning on purchasing Joico Kpak shampoo and conditioner, kpak reconstruct and the intense hydrator! Have any of u ladies tried these products when u had breakage issues?

I'm have been having breakage and i have tried abt everything! I'm still going 2 continue stretching b/c I dont feel my hair is strong enough for a relaxer. I'm deep conditioning right now with ors replenishing con and i'm going 2 follow up with aphogee 2 min and then SE olive moisture treatment! I am hoping this will fix my breakage issue!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am planning on purchasing Joico Kpak shampoo and conditioner, kpak reconstruct and the intense hydrator! Have any of u ladies tried these products when u had breakage issues?

Are you sure you're not having protein overload and then throwing more protein at it? What have you been doing while having this breakage? And why do you feel like it's not strong enough? Details, girlfriend.

Thanks for responding so quick! I dont think its protein overload b/c my hair does not feel hard or dry! its actually soft but doesnt feel musht either! I thought I had to much protein and started foicusing on moisture! Now I'm focusing on protein! The last time I used protein was back on 1/1/11! I thought if i used 2 light proteins that it will stop the problem today! I guess thats wishfull thinking! I stopped using leave ins b/c i dont like Elasta qp H2! I do have aphogee green tea reconstructor so maybe I can start back using it!

I don't flat iron my hair! I always airdry! I do know that my major problem is keeping my hands out my hair! If my hair is npt wrapped up then my hands are in it! I'm that bad! I shampoo once a week and cowash 2x a week! I wear a wig but i do take the plaits down each day and moisturize and seal! Should I just leave the plaits in untiil wash day?

Thanks for responding so quick! I dont think its protein overload b/c my hair does not feel hard or dry! its actually soft but doesnt feel musht either! I thought I had to much protein and started foicusing on moisture! Now I'm focusing on protein! The last time I used protein was back on 1/1/11! I thought if i used 2 light proteins that it will stop the problem today! I guess thats wishfull thinking! I stopped using leave ins b/c i dont like Elasta qp H2! I do have aphogee green tea reconstructor so maybe I can start back using it!

I don't flat iron my hair! I always airdry! I do know that my major problem is keeping my hands out my hair! If my hair is npt wrapped up then my hands are in it! I'm that bad! I shampoo once a week and cowash 2x a week! I wear a wig but i do take the plaits down each day and moisturize and seal! Should I just leave the plaits in untiil wash day?

I'm wondering how far you are in your stretch. Maybe you should move to a lower manipulation strategy...starting with keeping your hands outta your hair. :nono:

I'm a daily cowashwer but started weekly cowashing instead to lessen manipulation deep in my stretch. Maybe leaving your braids alone until you wash...say, weekly, might help during your stretch.

Okay I'll try to weekly cowash and I will also leave the braids in. I'm 13 wks post! I'l b 14 wks post on Sat! I am definitely working on keeping my hands out my hair. I also have been stressing a lot lately too!

Destine2grow, it does sound like your using quite a bit of protein and if your hair is breaking, that could also be a sign of over protein or some off balance some how.

Ors has protein, Aphogee and Silk Elements Olive Oil has protein.
I'd use one and then back it up with a Moisturizing only DC. Silk Elements Megasilk Creme container is awesome as a affordable DC.

What Leave in are you using?

I'd definitely start off Clarifying getting a clean start. Aphogee 2 minute, DC with SE *not Olive Oil Version, DC under a self heating cap for about 1 to 2 hours

And lower your manipulation seems like a bit much.

Jjamiah, I didn't know that the SE olive moisture treatment had protein in it! I normally only use the ors hair mayo and SE moisture treatment and DC 2x a week with the 2! This would explain the breakage! Wow I need 2 find another moistrue DC! I tried SE cholesterol and it did nothing for my hair. I am currently using elasta qp h2 as a leave in! I also have aphogee green tea recon but rarely use it!

Heyy!! I'm definitely in! I originally was going to relax this month but I have decided to relax in April when I will be 6 months post. Only 12 more weeks to go :drunk:

Jjamiah, I didn't know that the SE olive moisture treatment had protein in it! I normally only use the ors hair mayo and SE moisture treatment and DC 2x a week with the 2! This would explain the breakage! Wow I need 2 find another moistrue DC! I tried SE cholesterol and it did nothing for my hair. I am currently using elasta qp h2 as a leave in! I also have aphogee green tea recon but rarely use it!

SE the Olive oil version green container does have some protein in it. I experienced some breakage myself using that and the aphogee 2 minute together. :)

SE the Cream container and it is amazing. :)

Try a Pack of the SE Megasilk Moisturizing treatment Original.

We are all here to help you work through this :)

Update: I'm 7 weeks post and I just took out my braids after only 2.5 weeks. After I washed the braids yesterday they were feeling oily and I automatically thought BUILD UP! Thank God I took it down because my hairs ph is sooooo off. My hair is porous and brittle. It was coming out in chunks.

I had several clumps, like the one down below, all over my shower.
443f186e-fd89-ecfe.jpg

443f186e-fdbf-b4af.jpg

I'm going to use some of my roux porosity control tonight. I may have to push my stretch past 12 weeks. I don't believe in chemically processing hair that isn't healthy and my hair is sick at the moment. Lol. This is nothing that a good serving of tlc can't fix. I'll keep you ladies updated. In the mean time, I'm wigging it to class.

443f186e-069b-86f6.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back