Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

^^^Congrats NJoy!

I watched some videos last night about 2 strand twists. So you keep your twists in then and style your hair with them during the day as a protective style?

^^^Congrats NJoy!

I watched some videos last night about 2 strand twists. So you keep your twists in then and style your hair with them during the day as a protective style?

I do. I wear them in a bun with one or two hanging down in the front for a bang. Or, I cover them with my 1/2 wig. I don't wear them dangling free outside. Protecting them ends.

I self-relaxed...it was kind of a fail (no pics). I used profectiv no lye regular...it was terrible, it left me very under-processed which was okay because I wanted to be texlaxed, but it took close to 40 mins to process :blush: which lead to burning *sigh*...I know, I know :sekret:

My new growth is about 60%-65% processed, I wanted it to be about 80%-85% processed...so next time I'm going back to my stylist :ohwell:

I should have just used what my stylist has been using for years...Affirm Sensitive Scalp Super Strength. After doing all my research on normal/regular strength relaxers I really bought into the idea that it would work just as well. I was wrong! My new is [/b]VERY resistant and I never burn when my stylist does it. I just wanted to save money and become a complete DIY'er :sad: ...maybe I'll try again in the future by my heart can't take the pressure of self-relaxing right now.

Oh yeah...I used Alraines texlax method (I think it's a great method):

YouTube - Texlaxing!!-By request

Last edited:
I self-relaxed...it was kind of a fail (no pics). I used profectiv no lye regular...it was terrible, it left me very under-processed which was okay because I wanted to be texlaxed, but it took close to 40 mins to process :blush: which lead to burning *sigh*...I know, I know :sekret:

My new growth is about 60%-65% processed, I wanted it to be about 80%-85% processed...so next time I'm going back to my stylist :ohwell:

I should have just used what my stylist has been using for years...Affirm Sensitive Scalp Super Strength. After doing all my research on normal/regular strength relaxers I really bought into the idea that it would work just as well. I was wrong! My new is [/b]VERY resistant and I never burn when my stylist does it. I just wanted to save money and become a complete DIY'er :sad: ...maybe I'll try again in the future by my heart can't take the pressure of self-relaxing right now.

I'm sorry that happened nymane. Maybe it was the relaxer, as you said. I texlax and have resistant hair too. I read this article by sistaslick about buildup affecting the relaxer process. She recommends clarifying a few days prior to relaxing. I tried it last relaxer, best touch up yet :yep: Maybe you can try it if/when you decide to give self-relaxing another whirl.

22 weeks tomorrow. :spinning: I'm gonna make 6 mos. Wow. :drunk:

Girl I've had my eyes on you. You are making me want to try a 6 month stretch. I did 5 months last year and vowed never again! Your hair has done wonders. I can't believe the growth that you have gotten. Keep it up!

Awwww, I'm sorry things didn't turn out the way you wanted. I think Halee_J's comments make good sense and I'm taking notes. Are you planning a corrective or rolling with what you have?

Girl I've had my eyes on you. You are making me want to try a 6 month stretch. I did 5 months last year and vowed never again! Your hair has done wonders. I can't believe the growth that you have gotten. Keep it up!

Why? Why did you vow never again? This is my first long stretch and it's going well. But, I really don't know what's supposed to go wrong? :perplexed Hmmm... Maybe it's better that I not know. :grin: Nah. Tell me before I imagine it's something worse than it is.

Why? Why did you vow never again? This is my first long stretch and it's going well. But, I really don't know what's supposed to go wrong? :perplexed Hmmm... Maybe it's better that I not know. :grin: Nah. Tell me before I imagine it's something worse than it is.[/QUOTE]

It was a lot of work for nothing. Meaning there was no difference in 5 months than my normal 3 months. I was dissapointed and figured why deal with all the madness of dealing with the two different textures.

Why? Why did you vow never again? This is my first long stretch and it's going well. But, I really don't know what's supposed to go wrong? :perplexed Hmmm... Maybe it's better that I not know. :grin: Nah. Tell me before I imagine it's something worse than it is.

It was a lot of work for nothing. Meaning there was no difference in 5 months than my normal 3 months. I was dissapointed and figured why deal with all the madness of dealing with the two different textures.[/QUOTE]

Ok, gotcha!

I'm sorry that happened nymane. Maybe it was the relaxer, as you said. I texlax and have resistant hair too. I read this article by sistaslick about buildup affecting the relaxer process. She recommends clarifying a few days prior to relaxing. I tried it last relaxer, best touch up yet :yep: Maybe you can try it if/when you decide to give self-relaxing another whirl.

Thanks...Yeah I did that too and I've read the article.

Awwww, I'm sorry things didn't turn out the way you wanted. I think Halee_J's comments make good sense and I'm taking notes. Are you planning a corrective or rolling with what you have?

No corrective, I'm planning on doing another long stretch...maybe about 6 months.

Update: I got my hair braided this past Saturday.:grin: I will be leaving it in for 6 weeks. My next scheduled relaxer is on the 13th of February. I want these braids out a week before then so I can prepare my hair for the relaxer. Soooo.. with this install the rest of my stretch is pretty much laid out for me. The only challenge is keeping these braids in and caring for them. I have a crazy tendency of wanting to see and touch my hair when I have my hair hidden away:look:

My regimen in braids:
~Wash/Condition once per week
~Cowash once per week
~Moisturize Daily

Goal Stretch: 12 weeks

I'm four months post this week. What is that 20 weeks Stretched from Texlaxing. This is my longest stretch yet. I think I'll stretch until the end of February to make six months. No reason to texlax for now. The hair looks thick and healthy. Moisturizing is making it hard to hold a flat ironed look. So I'm bunning it.

Attachments

• Straight.jpeg
    Straight.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Curled.jpeg
    Curled.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 46
I'm four months post this week. What is that 20 weeks Stretched from Texlaxing. This is my longest stretch yet. I think I'll stretch until the end of February to make six months. No reason to texlax for now. The hair looks thick and healthy. Moisturizing is making it hard to hold a flat ironed look. So I'm bunning it.

You mean, 4 months post is 16 weeks. You have 8 more weeks to 6 mos, ma. So, end of Feb., huh? This is my longest stretch at 22 wks and I'm stretching til at least 6 mos too. That's 2 weeks from now and I'm not really feeling the need to texlax. Trying to decide now what I want to do so that I can prep my hair. It's been so long, I'll have to make sure I remember how to texlax. :lol:

Ok, I'm feeling a little kooky over here. I'm so loving the thickness of my hair that I'm thinking of stretching for 12 months instead of 6. That should put me right at my goal length in June. What do you think? Should I slow my roll or what? :spinning: Help me think this thing through. :spinning:

Ok, I'm feeling a little kooky over here. I'm so loving the thickness of my hair that I'm thinking of stretching for 12 months instead of 6. That should put me right at my goal length in June. What do you think? Should I slow my roll or what? :spinning: Help me think this thing through. :spinning:

Go for it!! I wanted to do 12 months also but my ng was out of control so I relaxed at 26 weeks. I figure relaxers every 20 weeks will work for me, I'll get the thickness and lenght without the work of managing my ng. If it's working go for it girl.

I say go for it, but take it one month at a time; monitor how your hair responds. Also, your hair grows pretty quickly, be sure you can relax that NG @ the end of the stretch. But its doable @ your length, I mean Sylver2 did it. Personally, my plan is to relax in 3 or 4 sections like she did :yep:

I'm still a newbie at stretching -- ladies that have your TUs done at the salon, how do you prepare your hair to ensure your ng is manageable for the stylist to work with? My last stretch ended horrible at 16 weeks! I experienced major breakage because the stylist had a hard time weeding through all the ng. My ng tends to matt and is super thick and coarse. Thankfully I have a lot of hair and it's not that noticeable. I have a TU scheduled for next week and I'm frightened of how this stretch (11 weeks) will end. I'm ending this stretch earlier than last time until I learn the art of stretching. Suggestions?

Thanks Doll, Oh no I didn't self relax, I wuld love to do so for my next retouch. My NG was out of control so I called my hairdresser on Wed. and begged her to take me - as this is the busy season.
YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! Did your stylist have a hard time getting through your ng? Did you do anything special to your hair to prep it before you went?

Girl, I've heard people talking about 2-strand twists and saw Kimmay do hers in a video. It' works well because I can detangle, moisturize and seal small sections, twist it up and move on to another section. The ng area holds VERY well and is stretched so that it doesn't matt up. The relaxed ends may need retwisting the next day because they don't hold as well but, it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with my ng regularly. And with my moisturizers in there, it just feels great!

You just take a section, break it into two sections and twist all the way to the ends. Voila! I started off making big, chunky twists but, when I go to retwist, I take a chunky one and turn that into 2. It's a cute look on it's own and feels nice to just let them hang and bounce around (especially since my hair is always up). Then I take the twists and pull them back into a bun to be sure my ends are protected. (habit. :giggle) I always let them down at night tho. :yep:
I deal with matting ng. Ugh!

I'm still a newbie at stretching -- ladies that have your TUs done at the salon, how do you prepare your hair to ensure your ng is manageable for the stylist to work with? My last stretch ended horrible at 16 weeks! I experienced major breakage because the stylist had a hard time weeding through all the ng. My ng tends to matt and is super thick and coarse. Thankfully I have a lot of hair and it's not that noticeable. I have a TU scheduled for next week and I'm frightened of how this stretch (11 weeks) will end. I'm ending this stretch earlier than last time until I learn the art of stretching. Suggestions?

YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! Did your stylist have a hard time getting through your ng? Did you do anything special to your hair to prep it before you went?

Sorry to hear about your experience. My stylist really took her time during my retouch. I began to burn so she washed out the back first then worked in the front. I did require a lot more relaxer, my hair just sucked it up. Overall she was great but of course charged for her hard work lolll. I didn't have any breakage Thank God.

Sorry I forgot to answr your next question, I detangled and removed all shed hair at home. My hair was also very moistureized- I'm not sure if that helped my process.

As long as you don't run into any problems...I'd say go for it! I know the results will be beautiful :yep:

Sorry I forgot to answr your next question, I detangled and removed all shed hair at home. My hair was also very moistureized- I'm not sure if that helped my process.

Sorry to hear about your experience. My stylist really took her time during my retouch. I began to burn so she washed out the back first then worked in the front. I did require a lot more relaxer, my hair just sucked it up. Overall she was great but of course charged for her hard work lolll. I didn't have any breakage Thank God.
Your stylist is a gem. What did you moisturize your hair with? I think where I went wrong last time is that I didn't properly detangle and loosen the ng so it was very impacted when I arrived for my TU. I really didn't know any better but guarantee that won't happen again.

Your stylist is a gem. What did you moisturize your hair with? I think where I went wrong last time is that I didn't properly detangle and loosen the ng so it was very impacted when I arrived for my TU. I really didn't know any better but guarantee that won't happen again.

I moisturize with Bee Mine Moisturizer and seal with Coconut oil. Detangling is key. I don't plan stretch for 6 months again because my ng was so thick and hard I had to detangle in small sections.

Girl, I've heard people talking about 2-strand twists and saw Kimmay do hers in a video. It' works well because I can detangle, moisturize and seal small sections, twist it up and move on to another section. The ng area holds VERY well and is stretched so that it doesn't matt up. The relaxed ends may need retwisting the next day because they don't hold as well but, it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with my ng regularly. And with my moisturizers in there, it just feels great!

You just take a section, break it into two sections and twist all the way to the ends. Voila! I started off making big, chunky twists but, when I go to retwist, I take a chunky one and turn that into 2. It's a cute look on it's own and feels nice to just let them hang and bounce around (especially since my hair is always up). Then I take the twists and pull them back into a bun to be sure my ends are protected. (habit. :giggle) I always let them down at night tho. :yep:

Thanks NJoy, my hair is twisted right now and styled and it was so easy. Took me about 45 mins. I love it! The twists are gorgeous. This PS is a keeper. Talk about low manipulation. It's moisturize, spritz and go until next weekend.

Thanks NJoy, my hair is twisted right now and styled and it was so easy. Took me about 45 mins. I love it! The twists are gorgeous. This PS is a keeper. Talk about low manipulation. It's moisturize, spritz and go until next weekend.

:yep: Told ya. I love it too. I'm ready to twist mine back up too.

Checking in at 5 month post on January 8th. Easy going. I need more of a stretching challenge, so as of right now, I want to go the whole year without a touch up. I will take it one month at a time and see how it goes. If I can hang aroun until December, this will be my longest stretch at a year and six months!

Checking in at 5 month post on January 8th. Easy going. I need more of a stretching challenge, so as of right now, I want to go the whole year without a touch up. I will take it one month at a time and see how it goes. If I can hang aroun until December, this will be my longest stretch at a year and six months!

GO beans GO! :woot: You are my stretch hero! I can't wait to see your progress @ the end! :yep:

this is my growth so far, i'm 18 weeks(19weeks in 3 days)

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00689-1.gif

my mom is begging me for a relaxer lol :) and people start asking me how i manage and keep my hair so nicely!

and they also mentioned my hair will be long once i relax!
yay:grin: hope i make it to 6 months(and why not even beyond)!!!

Happy stretching ladies!! we can do this:yep:

Last edited:
Back