Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Hey y'all, its 12 weeks post for me. I am seriously committed to making a year this time around. Good luck to everybody, keep up the great work :yep:

Hey y'all, its 12 weeks post for me. I am seriously committed to making a year this time around. Good luck to everybody, keep up the great work :yep:

A year? :spinning: Nice!! I'll be watching. I may try that after this 6 month stretch. Or....who knows. :spinning:

Hi all I am about 12 weeks post as well. I have done 2 separate 1 yr stretches but this time I think I may only go 6 mos. I dont know yet cause when I am due for my next relaxer (May) it will be the start of the rainey season. It rains about 5 days a week at least. I dont know if its worth realxing to just put it up cause I am afraid to go out with straight hair in the humidity or rain.

Oh well I will keep you guys posted.

Hi all I am about 12 weeks post as well. I have done 2 separate 1 yr stretches but this time I think I may only go 6 mos. I dont know yet cause when I am due for my next relaxer (May) it will be the start of the rainey season. It rains about 5 days a week at least. I dont know if its worth realxing to just put it up cause I am afraid to go out with straight hair in the humidity or rain.

Oh well I will keep you guys posted.

Wow! Two one-year stretches. Nice!! But, can I ask why you're only going for 6 months now? What's making you make that decision. Inquiring minds wanna know. TIA.

I'm at 25 weeks and attempting my 1st year stretch. I would like to know also what made you decide to only do 6 months this time.

Njoy your hair lovely. Keep up the good work.

So far so good.. I took the front braids down shampoo & conditioned and let air dry.. The ends look pretty good.. I've worn braids before my ends were never a problem thank goodness :)

From 13 weeks to 21 weeks IS a great accomplishment. Congrats and do what's best for your hair. We'll be waiting on those pics!

Zowie! 7-8 months post. Sweet. Just wondering. How do your ends hold up with braiding? :perplexed

I'll be 21 weeks post Friday...wash days for me have consistently been a breeze (during this stretch I've been rolling setting weekly).

Checking in to say I'm 21 weeks today. :yep:

I'm nervous and excited to do my first self-relaxer in a week...I've been practicing with conditioner and I have to do MUCH better with the real thing. I have 1-2 more trial runs with conditioner...I really need to cut my application time in half :nervous2:

Checking on you to see whether you relaxed yet and how it went. Details. :lick:

oh well i gave in to the roots. I relexed yesterday after 26 weeks. I got a good trim of about 2inches of dead ends now i have nice blunt ends. I was in the bsl by dec 2010 whick I know i wont make but i'm happy with my results. I'm about 3 inches from full bsl so i hope that i'll be able to get there by my next relaxer.

I'm planning to stretch for 20 weeks at a time. My NG is just to HARD to manage.

Next stretch starts now.

Wow! Two one-year stretches. Nice!! But, can I ask why you're only going for 6 months now? What's making you make that decision. Inquiring minds wanna know. TIA.

Well I am doing a 6 mos stretch now cause I love the benefits stretching gives to my hair (no chance of overlap, thicker, healthier hair). I can live with only relaxing 2x a year espically if I am only wearing a wig anyway. I am just on a serious mission and stretching has helped me. I did a one year stretch just to see if I could and I loved the results so much I did it again. Now I am cool with May for the summer and Nov for the Holidays.

I know I rambled but I hope you understand.

oh well i gave in to the roots. I relexed yesterday after 26 weeks. I got a good trim of about 2inches of dead ends now i have nice blunt ends. I was in the bsl by dec 2010 whick I know i wont make but i'm happy with my results. I'm about 3 inches from full bsl so i hope that i'll be able to get there by my next relaxer.

I'm planning to stretch for 20 weeks at a time. My NG is just to HARD to manage.

Next stretch starts now.

Good Job Ojemba!!! :dance7:

Six months is nothing to sneeze at. I was happy with my growth and health after five months. But, I decided I really wanted to go for a transition to natural. Even though everyone liked my hair after I relaxed, I was missing my new growth. I think that means I am in a good place mentally to go natural.

Dec2010.jpg
[/IMG]

Good Job Ojemba!!! :dance7:

Six months is nothing to sneeze at. I was happy with my growth and health after five months. But, I decided I really wanted to go for a transition to natural. Even though everyone liked my hair after I relaxed, I was missing my new growth. I think that means I am in a good place mentally to go natural.

Thank so much. I love how my hair feels its so full and and gots lots of body. I was considering transitioning also but my NG is way to difficult and hard. the time out of braids would have knocked me out. LOLLL. I plan to stretch for 20 weeks at a time until I get to my length goal which is mbl. I'm hoping I can retain all my growth this year and be mbl by dec 2011.

Good luck to you in 2011

Lovely progress Ojemba, your hair is so much thicker!

Did you change your relaxer application the second time round, as in the first pic your hair looks very very straight, more so than the December touch up. Either way your hair looks fab!

Ojemba your hair looks gorgeous! Your hair is so much thicker :yep: Did you self-relax?

Thanks Doll, Oh no I didn't self relax, I wuld love to do so for my next retouch. My NG was out of control so I called my hairdresser on Wed. and begged her to take me - as this is the busy season.

I went 10 weeks (the longest I've ever stretched) and was well pleased after my relaxer. Maybe, I will shoot for 12 weeks now. :-) Good thread.. Subscribing

I decided not to retouch until next year December when I hope to be hip length at the length check. I think I found a method to keep my roots flat. I'm texlaxed now and about 12 weeks post. I basically just blow dry my roots straight with cool to warm air after my wash and treat 1x per week and my hair looks fresh. That's how I've wearing my hair for the last two weeks. The key is of course moisturising my ends like crazy but if I don't blow dry my roots at least, that demarcation line might suffer some damage. I'll be doing a protein treatment every other week for sure.

ETA: the detangling and blow drying in sections takes a while though but I won't be doing it every week (not before 5 months post anyway). I'm thinking of the length and thickness I'll have in December 2011 so I can deal with it :lol:

Last edited:
So the flip-flopping is over for now. Viva la stretch! :look: I've decided to continue stretching. Why didn't someone tell me about 2-strand twists earlier? I still keep my end bunned up tho. I do love letting them hang down in the evenings tho. :lick:

What's this about two strand twists :look:? Is this another way of stretching? More info please...

What's this about two strand twists :look:? Is this another way of stretching? More info please...

Girl, I've heard people talking about 2-strand twists and saw Kimmay do hers in a video. It' works well because I can detangle, moisturize and seal small sections, twist it up and move on to another section. The ng area holds VERY well and is stretched so that it doesn't matt up. The relaxed ends may need retwisting the next day because they don't hold as well but, it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with my ng regularly. And with my moisturizers in there, it just feels great!

You just take a section, break it into two sections and twist all the way to the ends. Voila! I started off making big, chunky twists but, when I go to retwist, I take a chunky one and turn that into 2. It's a cute look on it's own and feels nice to just let them hang and bounce around (especially since my hair is always up). Then I take the twists and pull them back into a bun to be sure my ends are protected. (habit. :giggle) I always let them down at night tho. :yep:

Girl, I've heard people talking about 2-strand twists and saw Kimmay do hers in a video. It' works well because I can detangle, moisturize and seal small sections, twist it up and move on to another section. The ng area holds VERY well and is stretched so that it doesn't matt up. The relaxed ends may need retwisting the next day because they don't hold as well but, it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with my ng regularly. And with my moisturizers in there, it just feels great!

You just take a section, break it into two sections and twist all the way to the ends. Voila! I started off making big, chunky twists but, when I go to retwist, I take a chunky one and turn that into 2. It's a cute look on it's own and feels nice to just let them hang and bounce around (especially since my hair is always up). Then I take the twists and pull them back into a bun to be sure my ends are protected. (habit. :giggle) I always let them down at night tho. :yep:

hmmm, I'm going to have to try this out this week. I always moisturise and braid my hair in 10 braids at night.I'm going to look for this YT video right now.

Back