Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

So I don't usually get to see my hair dried and even when I airdry, I use a scarf and only allow the back to partially airdry down. Last night, I airdried 80% and then used a blowdryer on cool until it was dried. My hair is so thick and healthy! :drunk: I rarely get to see it like this. And, I use indigo so it's jet black and gorgeous! I would love to keep that kind of thickness but the thought of going natural is intimidating. The thought of having to flat iron all the time to get a straight look is definitely a threat. I mean, 2-3 hours worth of flat ironing, I'd think. But, wow! This thickness is awesome! :lick: Did I mention AWESOME?! :spinning:

I'm definitely holding out til at least 6 mos. And if that goes well, who knows how long. But truthfully, even my puny relaxed ends look thick when dry. So... (ok. rambling. :drunk:)

just to update my progress...i started my stretching August and i usually relax every 8 weeks but in the month of October i decided i should stretch .. made my research..got enough knowledge that would back me up and took some pics.. 2 moths later i took a pic to see how my hair is doing to make sure i havent done something wrong since i'm now 15 weeks post for the first time in my Life ! here is my progress so far :)

(i'm using my growth aid to help my right side to grow because i had a setback some months ago and its pretty much doing well, i will update by february when i will be 6 months..)

6month-stretch-oct-dec-2010-comparison.jpg

i'm proud of my self ! got so many compliments already that my hair has grown ! we can do this girls! :)

just to update my progress...i started my stretching August and i usually relax every 8 weeks but in the month of October i decided i should stretch .. made my research..got enough knowledge that would back me up and took some pics.. 2 moths later i took a pic to see how my hair is doing to make sure i havent done something wrong since i'm now 15 weeks post for the first time in my Life ! here is my progress so far :)

(i'm using my growth aid to help my right side to grow because i had a setback some months ago and its pretty much doing well, i will update by february when i will be 6 months..)

6month-stretch-oct-dec-2010-comparison.jpg

i'm proud of my self ! got so many compliments already that my hair has grown ! we can do this girls! :)

Oh girl, yes! It's coming along nicely. I'm proud of you too. Taking pics really is helpful in being able to see all the growth. KUTGW!! :yep: (plus, we like pics. :grin:)

For those that are 4a/b, how are you managing you new growth? How are you styling your hair? I'm not talking about managing wet hair and detangling, that's not an issue for me, it's when my hair is dried and I can't get a comb through the roots :nono:

^^^I find that using a good leave-in (Darcy's transitioning creme) and my shower comb works. I only co-wash once a week, but on any given day I can use my shower comb and comb from root to tip. My hair is drying much more smoother with the Darcy's, rollersetting, and airdrying.

For those that are 4a/b, how are you managing you new growth? How are you styling your hair? I'm not talking about managing wet hair and detangling, that's not an issue for me, it's when my hair is dried and I can't get a comb through the roots :nono:

After I wash and condition my hair, I airdry with a leave-in (S-Curl). Once the hair dries, I apply JBCO to my scalp and ends, then braid hair into 10 jumbo braids. (My wig goes over them on workdays).
Every night, I make sure to baggy. The hair stays moisturized and the new growth is not dry. If it feels dry before bedtime, I undo the braid and spray some S-Curl, seal with JBCO then braid it back up, tuck in and baggy.
I only comb my hair when I wash it every 7-10 days.
When I was about 16 wks post, I was bunning and I moisturized and sealed daily and only baggied the ends nightly. I am now 25 wks post.

Wow I hope to get to get to where you ladies are +20 wks. It's so harddddddd. Last time I tried to stretch I had to relax because I was looking like a mad woman. My hair could barely fit in a bun but now that I can fit into a bun comfortably this stretch should be better.

24 weeks and going strong. I still have in single extension braids, I plan to take them out in 2 weeks. I'm still going back on forth on transitioning but I'm seeing 1 year no retouch as a real possibility.

After I wash and condition my hair, I airdry with a leave-in (S-Curl). Once the hair dries, I apply JBCO to my scalp and ends, then braid hair into 10 jumbo braids. (My wig goes over them on workdays).
Every night, I make sure to baggy. The hair stays moisturized and the new growth is not dry. If it feels dry before bedtime, I undo the braid and spray some S-Curl, seal with JBCO then braid it back up, tuck in and baggy.
I only comb my hair when I wash it every 7-10 days.
When I was about 16 wks post, I was bunning and I moisturized and sealed daily and only baggied the ends nightly. I am now 25 wks post.

Wow. 25 wks. How long you stretching? :lick:

Hey Njoy,
I am 26 wks now so I made my goal. I intend to keep stretching maybe til March. I intended to stretch til I made APL, and I think I am there already, even though I haven't completely straightened.
One day at a time. You are doing better than me, so what am I talking about? :lol:

Hey Njoy,
I am 26 wks now so I made my goal. I intend to keep stretching maybe til March. I intended to stretch til I made APL, and I think I am there already, even though I haven't completely straightened.
One day at a time. You are doing better than me, so what am I talking about? :lol:

Wow! Congrats on making your goal and continuing til 9 mos. :spinning: I got lightheaded just saying that. :lol: How are you wearing your hair?

Hi, my stretching sisters! On Friday will make me 20 weeks, so I am still in the baby stretch phaze. I won't consider myself really getting anywhere until I hit 30 weeks.

But ladies, don't forget the importance of using the right products! And just because a product worked for you in the beginning, doesn't mean it will work, mid-stretch.

Case in point. A month ago, I was with my beloved WEN, followed that up with the Aphogee 2 min Keratin recon, then DC'd with silicon mix mixed with Wen. I had sooooooo many tangles, I wanted to cry. By the time my rollerset was done, I had a headache from yanking the tangles out. I lost so much hair!! For some reason, my go to products weren't working.

I've been wanting to try Joico K-pak, so I went out and got the poo, recon, and Intense hydrator......I'm in LOVE!!!!!!!!! I breezed through my rollerset and when it dried- my rollerset was BANGING!!!! Lately, I haven't been able to wear my rollersets out, I usually pin them up....but after using the Joico- I just take the set out, throw on a headband and am cute as can be!!! I found a new love- JOICO!!!!! It sucks, because Joico is costly-but my hair isn't responding to the cheaper stuff anymore.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to stress how important it is to keep reassessing your products and making sure they are still working for you.

HHG my sisters, until my next update :)

20 weeks today. That's 5 mos post, baby! lol. Never been this far. Hoping to hold on another month, at least and repeatedly asking myself why. :look:

Beans4reezy, I've been migrating towards products made for naturals to handle all this ng, and modifying my reggie to accomodate my stretch.

How's everyone else holding out?

I'll be 21 weeks post Friday...wash days for me have consistently been a breeze (during this stretch I've been rolling setting weekly).

I'm nervous and excited to do my first self-relaxer in a week...I've been practicing with conditioner and I have to do MUCH better with the real thing. I have 1-2 more trial runs with conditioner...I really need to cut my application time in half :nervous2:

I'll be 21 weeks post Friday...wash days for me have consistently been a breeze (during this stretch I've been rolling setting weekly).

I'm nervous and excited to do my first self-relaxer in a week...I've been practicing with conditioner and I have to do MUCH better with the real thing. I have 1-2 more trial runs with conditioner...I really need to cut my application time in half :nervous2:

Are you pre-parting your hair into little sections? That method + a sprush should do it.

Hey Today marks my 21 weeks post relaxer. But I am relaxing tomorrow. If I continue my stretch any longer It will do me more harm then good. Every time i examine a shed hair I see that there is either a knot at the demarcation line or it is splitting at the demarcation. So I decided to end it. Plus My family is having a bday/college graduation party for me on saturday, and I thought my relaxer would coincide perfectly with this event. I dont usually past 13 weeks post.. so 21 weeks is a great accomplishment for me.

I will be rooting for you guys..

P.S. will post pic this weekend

This week make 18 weeks for me :grin:
Next week which will make 19 weeks and I will be getting the front of my hair rebraided which will allow me another 8-12 weeks stretch which will make 7-8 months post :spinning:..

Hey Today marks my 21 weeks post relaxer. But I am relaxing tomorrow. If I continue my stretch any longer It will do me more harm then good. Every time i examine a shed hair I see that there is either a knot at the demarcation line or it is splitting at the demarcation. So I decided to end it. Plus My family is having a bday/college graduation party for me on saturday, and I thought my relaxer would coincide perfectly with this event. I dont usually past 13 weeks post.. so 21 weeks is a great accomplishment for me.

I will be rooting for you guys..

P.S. will post pic this weekend

From 13 weeks to 21 weeks IS a great accomplishment. Congrats and do what's best for your hair. We'll be waiting on those pics!

This week make 18 weeks for me :grin:
Next week which will make 19 weeks and I will be getting the front of my hair rebraided which will allow me another 8-12 weeks stretch which will make 7-8 months post :spinning:..

Zowie! 7-8 months post. Sweet. Just wondering. How do your ends hold up with braiding? :perplexed

Are you pre-parting your hair into little sections? That method + a sprush should do it.

Yeah I pre-part and I use the sprush...I guess I'm focusing so hard on precision that it slows me down, but I do get a little faster each time I practice so :crossfingers:

So, just when I was starting to want to get my touch up on, when I went to moisturize my hair tonight, the thickness is way yum-my! So, I'm remotivated to continue my stretch. Plus, I'm too lazy to think about relaxing. It's gonna be a beast.

all is going well with my stretch !!!

i feel my hair has gotten thicker, i can manage it and i have 8 weeks to go till i reach my first Goal thats 6 months stretch. i will see how my hair feels then. if i'm ready i will relax else i will go as far as i can go! i went from relaxing every 8 weeks to 16 weeks post that i will be in 2 days! almost double weeks :) not bad for a first stretch :yep:EVER:yep: in my life !

@sweet_silvia88 Congrats on the stretch! Keep going strong!

I'm still waiting on my stretch to really begin... This past year 6 weeks has been my average stretch even though my goal was 8 (I couldn't even make that). However, I love THICK hair and this has thinned out my hair sooo much and caused so much of a set back for me. I had to cut my hair back to chin length in September and now I am NL (thank God). So now that I have some kind of length I can actually bun and pun my hair in an eZComb. Now stretching isn't too much of a hassle.

So far I have like .75 in of new growth and I am 3 weeks post. My goal is to go for 12 weeks but as seen by everyone's results, If I can get to 12 weeks, I may push on longer.

Here is a NG shot.
sdc11544q.jpg

I'm still waiting on my stretch to really begin... This past year 6 weeks has been my average stretch even though my goal was 8 (I couldn't even make that). However, I love THICK hair and this has thinned out my hair sooo much and caused so much of a set back for me. I had to cut my hair back to chin length in September and now I am NL (thank God). So now that I have some kind of length I can actually bun and pun my hair in an eZComb. Now stretching isn't too much of a hassle.

So far I have like .75 in of new growth and I am 3 weeks post. My goal is to go for 12 weeks but as seen by everyone's results, If I can get to 12 weeks, I may push on longer.

Here is a NG shot.
sdc11544q.jpg

sorry to hear for the setbacks, i had some experience and now i've gathered more knowledge to continue in the hope of avoiding setbacks!

i wish you a good stretching journey and i believe you will do well and reach 12 weeks and why not beyond ;)

Here is a NG shot.
sdc11544q.jpg

That's some great growth for 3 weeks. KUTGW!

Thanks ladies. I agree, the growth is where it needs to be but, unfortunately, retention is my weakness.

Quick update: Just washed and DCed my hair and styled my hair in the usual roller set. I'm going home this weekend from school for 2 weeks. I usually wash once per week but I'm just going to stretch the 2 weeks without a wash. I only use 1 product on my hair after wash day, and that's only to lightly moisturize, so I don't have to worry about my hair being weighed down.

Back