Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I am 18 weeks post and so far I have no urge to relax, so I will see if I can continue to stretch after 6 months post in January. The only problem I am having is with dryness, no matter what conditioner I use my hair is always dry. I stopped using S-Curl and bought BB castor oil conditioner, and my hair is still dry after using it. I bought Motions hydrating conditoner (something like that) and my hair is even more dryer when i use it. So I dont know how to combat this problem yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I am 18 weeks post and so far I have no urge to relax, so I will see if I can continue to stretch after 6 months post in January. The only problem I am having is with dryness, no matter what conditioner I use my hair is always dry. I stopped using S-Curl and bought BB castor oil conditioner, and my hair is still dry after using it. I bought Motions hydrating conditoner (something like that) and my hair is even more dryer when i use it. So I dont know how to combat this problem yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

That could be a sign of porosity issues. I'd suggest you try Porosity Control and see if you retain moisture better afterwards.

I did an overnight dc over the weekend using Queen Helene's cholesterol. I remember my hair loving that back in the day. Now??? Not so much. My hair was not happy. I did a co-wash the next day and the moisturized the heck outta my hair and it feels better. Will be doing a henna treatment overnight tomorrow into Thursday.

My hair isn't liking it either. I wonder if they changed the formula... Either that or we've been introduced to so many better products through the hair boards that our perception of what is good for our hair has changed.

Wow, I'm onto 15 months now :D. Although I say I'm transitioning, I still have a small possibility of relaxing again. Hmmm, I'll judge on what I see when this weave comes out next month.

Wow, I'm onto 15 months now :D. Although I say I'm transitioning, I still have a small possibility of relaxing again. Hmmm, I'll judge on what I see when this weave comes out next month.

Wow! Girl, I think I'm saying something @17 weeks and here you are rollin @15 months?! Wow! :worship2: When's the weave coming out? Can't wait to see how your hair's growing.

Ok, I don't think I can hang on. I think I'm going to texlax on 12/2. That'll be 18 wks post. I'm starting to struggle with detangling and trying to be careful. Yeah. I need baby steps. I think 18 weeks will have to do for now. :look:

I'm at 11 months post phyto and very much doubt i'm ever going back.....so this might be an accidental transition. not sure and not stressing about it.

my hairdresser has mastered blending the two textures and i'm low manipulaion styling my way to waist length.

life is good! :grin:

18 weeks post and still roller setting weekly without breakage...thank you lacio lacio :lick:

5 more weeks to go...

18 weeks post and still roller setting weekly without breakage...thank you lacio lacio :lick:

5 more weeks to go...
@nymane, what are you using when layering your products for rollersets?

I really need to learn, but I don't know what products or the order to layer them in for a smooth set.

@nymane, what are you using when layering your products for rollersets?

I really need to learn, but I don't know what products or the order to layer them in for a smooth set.

After I shampoo and DC: I apply a good amount of lacio lacio leave-in (not too much but enough because my hair is pretty thick) and then I apply a little serum. For serum I use chi silk infusion (well I'm not that loyal to serum brands lol next week I'll try Garnier Fructis serum, but you get the idea :) )

Next: I start rolling (I do the mohawk set & the anchor method, rolling mostly under and a few going upwards if I need more tension).

I also have a water spray bottle handy because it's important for the hair to be wet for a sleek set.

I just had to mention Lacio Lacio again for emphasis...this is the product that changed my roller sets from dry and poofy to sleek, soft and shiny with 18 weeks of new growth! In the past I wouldn't be able to roller set past 9-10 weeks post relaxer. hth

We're on the same sch :yep:. Ponytail rollersets and Darcy's transitioning creme have been a God send.

I :love: the Transitioning Creme! It's been my staple moisturizer for over a year now :lick:

Wow! Girl, I think I'm saying something @17 weeks and here you are rollin @15 months?! Wow! :worship2: When's the weave coming out? Can't wait to see how your hair's growing.

Aww, thanks :D. I'm not sure when I'll be taking the weave out yet, but most likely in the next few weeks. It's been in nearly 9 weeks now, and I'm not particularly itching to remove it yet. I might do it in two weeks time actually, when college finishes this term for the Christmas holidays :yep:

So, I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and texlax tomorrow (or Thursday), to wait 2 more weeks (20 wks post), or to stretch to 6 mos. My reason for wanting to go ahead and texlax is that detangling is getting hectic. Of course, that could've been because I hadn't detangled in a bit. But, after my last detangling session a few nights ago, I put my hair in twists which seems to be working out. Seems like I could easily flat iron my roots from this style if need be. But still, I'm sounding all calm and positive because I haven't had to do anything to my hair but remoisturize a bit. Who knows what awaits.

If I don't texlax this week, then maybe I'll henna. *sigh* Once again I'm wondering, "what ta do? what ta do?"

I'd like to learn to rollerset and get a nice result like nymane but, I just can NOT sit under a dryer too long. It gets too hot. I get cranky and restless. *sigh* Any opinions on what you think I should do?

You should really try it Njoy - a rollerset would look lovely on your hair. :yep:

I'm shooting for 20 weeks for this stretch, only another 12 weeks to go!!

So, I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and texlax tomorrow (or Thursday), to wait 2 more weeks (20 wks post), or to stretch to 6 mos. My reason for wanting to go ahead and texlax is that detangling is getting hectic. Of course, that could've been because I hadn't detangled in a bit. But, after my last detangling session a few nights ago, I put my hair in twists which seems to be working out. Seems like I could easily flat iron my roots from this style if need be. But still, I'm sounding all calm and positive because I haven't had to do anything to my hair but remoisturize a bit. Who knows what awaits.

If I don't texlax this week, then maybe I'll henna. *sigh* Once again I'm wondering, "what ta do? what ta do?"

I'd like to learn to rollerset and get a nice result like nymane but, I just can NOT sit under a dryer too long. It gets too hot. I get cranky and restless. *sigh* Any opinions on what you think I should do?

I am not a stretcher (transitioning again) but I am almost 12 months post. I do love the cheat sets/pontail sets. I normally use a leave in, diulted lottobody and a butter of some sort. I sit under the dryer for one hour and I am good to go. Pretty curls that I can pin up :spinning: HTH

I'm down to the wire with making my decision. I'm scheduled to relax tomorrow night. Last night I moisturized, detangled and retwisted my hair and I'm thinking, technically, I could probably stretch longer by keeping this 2-strand twist style. And, I went back to a staple (NTM silk touch leave in) and am in love with how soft my twists feel. I'm flip flopping but will have to decide today. I'm leaning heavily towards continuing my stretch ~ perhaps holding out until 6 mos post. :look:

ill be 21 post texlax this Friday..Yayy.. Next time around im gogn to texturize. Since i wear wigs im thinking about stretchign the full 52 weeks. If i cant decide ill texturixe in March when im 8 months post!!!

So the flip-flopping is over for now. Viva la stretch! :look: I've decided to continue stretching. Why didn't someone tell me about 2-strand twists earlier? I still keep my end bunned up tho. I do love letting them hang down in the evenings tho. :lick:

Hey all!
I have been missing in action but very pleased to announce that I am 25 wks post! My goal was 26 but I am not in the mood to relax next week and it is so much easier jumbo braiding my hair and slapping on a wig. I am also liking my no heat regimen. (We are still getting 70 degree weather here!)
Good luck in your stretches.

hey girls :) my stretch is doing great! i've got compliments about my hair after i flat ironed for a event ! that means i'm stretching but retaining length!

yay :drunk:

i'm aiming for 6 months but if i reach 24 weeks and i don't have the urge to stretch i will just do a length check and keep stretching ! keep it up stretchers!!!

I'm jumping back into the challenge at 15 weeks post. I usually stretch b/t 16-20 weeks but since Mizani Butter Blends literally knocked out a chunk of my hair, I want to give that area time to heal and grow back.

My goal is to relax at 8 months post (with my throwback baby- Phyto).

16 weeks post relaxer now... went 20 weeks before this ...

This time I'm going 24-28 weeks.... Wearing braids right now so my stretch has been absolutely stressful free....

Last edited:
Yay I am officially 20 weeks post. I am so happy. This is the first time I have ever reach that far. I dont know when i am going to relax yet. Im thinking anywhere betweek 6 months to 9 months. I am so happy guys

Right behind you, bestblackgirl. I'm 19 wks today and about to give myself a trim before retwisting my hair. :yep:

I'm planning on 6 mos, longer if I can hang in there. We'll see. :)

Can we be hair buddies? I am planning on the same thing too:blush::yep: I have moments where I get the urge to relax when I see someone has nice straight hair. I want to stick to my goal, and my hair is doing so there is no reason i shouldnt follow through. I need someone to keep me motivated

Last edited:
Can we be hair buddies? I am planning on the same thing too:blush::yep: I have moments where I get the urge to relax when I see someone has nice straight hair. I want to stick to my goal, and my hair is doing so there is no reason i shouldnt follow through. I need someone to keep me motivated

Sounds great! Let's do this! :spinning:

Back