Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I want to join in with you ladies. I am not intending to stretch nearly as long as some of you but I want to stretch to 18 weeks. I normally stretch to about 12 weeks. I haven't attempted a stretch that long in a at least a couple years. My brother is getting married at the end of January and I don't want to relax again until the week of the wedding. My long stretches in the past have always ended in disaster. But I feel like I am a lot more knowledgeable about my hair and what works for it that I can do it this time.

i've braided my hair since it's already starting to get cold here on the atlantic coast.

At the beginning of my stretch, I was wearing braids but I am now wigging it til December. I wear buns for a few days when I get bored of the wigs.
I am 21 weeks post! 5 to go.

I am torn between transitioning and relaxing. I am giving myself a year to figure it out. So far, my hair is thriving with protective styling.

DD, girl I've seen your postings and for a while I was just like you, not sure what to do never thinking I would go natural but going natural was the best thing I could had done for myself and my hair.I got my last relaxer on my 40 th birthday last september and bced in may. Pats of my hair that always broke off is now growing. All summer I did wash and gos and twist out, now that the weather is cooler I have been flatironing my hair and it even looks betta on my hair now. I say just do it.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

DD, girl I've seen your postings and for a while I was just like you, not sure what to do never thinking I would go natural but going natural was the best thing I could had done for myself and my hair.I got my last relaxer on my 40 th birthday last september and bced in may. Pats of my hair that always broke off is now growing. All summer I did wash and gos and twist out, now that the weather is cooler I have been flatironing my hair and it even looks betta on my hair now. I say just do it.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

I intend to do just that! Thanks for your encouragement!

Ok, so when you end a longterm stretch like this and you end up with a ton of NG, then what? Are you relaxing in sections? Are you having someone professionally relax for you? What? And if you relax in sections, does anyone have a video or detailed explanation of how to do it without processing the other sections by accident? Uh, in other words.....HEEEEEELP!!!

Ok, so when you end a longterm stretch like this and you end up with a ton of NG, then what? Are you relaxing in sections? Are you having someone professionally relax for you? What? And if you relax in sections, does anyone have a video or detailed explanation of how to do it without processing the other sections by accident? Uh, in other words.....HEEEEEELP!!!

I relax my hair in four sections.
pictures of how i do so can be found in this album.
i do it in four sections because my hair is thick and my new growth is bountiful haha.
applying the relaxer to a lot of new growth can take forever so i section my hair off with clips before applying the relaxer to further increase the time available for smoothing and processing.
I cover the other sections with saran wrap secured with roller clips to protect them from relaxer and moisture.

i'm definitely not an expert, but i hope that helped!

Esi, you can use the donuts to make a bun or use a black sock.

And if your hair is too short for the donut, go buy a phony bun, baggy your ponytail, and hide the baggied ponytail under the phony bun. I've been doing this for a little over a year and am finally seeing some great results from it.

Ok, stretching til the end of the year. That'll be 5.5 mos post. Then I'll follow that with a 6 mos stretch. Hopefully, that will put me at hl by my birthday in June. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Hi ladies! You'll are doing a great job and are very inspiring. I would like to join you... I think :look: If I can rise to the challenge :grin: I plan to relax the first week in December, then try to stretch till June 2011

I did an overnight dc over the weekend using Queen Helene's cholesterol. I remember my hair loving that back in the day. Now??? Not so much. My hair was not happy. I did a co-wash the next day and the moisturized the heck outta my hair and it feels better. Will be doing a henna treatment overnight tomorrow into Thursday.

16 wks post. Trying to hang on for 4 more weeks. Gotta say, my ng is making my relaxed ends look skimpy when wet. *sigh*

I'm getting kind of excited about relaxing in the next 4 weeks. This ng shrinkage is not nice. I want to readily see my hard-earned length. I'm still going to texlax so, I am getting more thickness but, can a sista feel like she actually has long hair? lol.

What do you ladies do with your hair in preparation for ending your stretches? I'm ready to start thinking about it. I've chosen 12/14 to relax my hair so that gives me 2 weeks before the end of the year (when I REALLY want to wear my hair out), and time to fortify my hair after relaxing. I think a week prior, I may do a carmel treatment just to loosen the curl pattern in the ng so that application won't be crazy. And I think I'm going to relax in 2 parts, back and then front.

What are your thoughts about what you'll do and when are you planning to relax?

What the? Sho is quiet ova here. Hello...hello...hello.... Echo...echo...echo...

Ah well, updating my last post. I've decided to relax on 12/16 and will likely do a trim before my year end reveal, depending on what my ends look like. Getting anxious but really just looking forward to ending this stretch. I'm not really sure what happens when stretch starts to go bad but, I don't want to have to find out either.

If you're planning to relax by the end of this year, when are you planning to do it?

What the? Sho is quiet ova here. Hello...hello...hello.... Echo...echo...echo...

Ah well, updating my last post. I've decided to relax on 12/16 and will likely do a trim before my year end reveal, depending on what my ends look like. Getting anxious but really just looking forward to ending this stretch. I'm not really sure what happens when stretch starts to go bad but, I don't want to have to find out either.

If you're planning to relax by the end of this year, when are you planning to do it?

LOL girl :grin: hello.... hello..0_o!!!!!!

well i'm not planning to end my stretch yet but just to wish everyone the best!!!
have a lovely day guys!

I'm getting kind of excited about relaxing in the next 4 weeks. This ng shrinkage is not nice. I want to readily see my hard-earned length. I'm still going to texlax so, I am getting more thickness but, can a sista feel like she actually has long hair? lol.

What do you ladies do with your hair in preparation for ending your stretches? I'm ready to start thinking about it. I've chosen 12/14 to relax my hair so that gives me 2 weeks before the end of the year (when I REALLY want to wear my hair out), and time to fortify my hair after relaxing. I think a week prior, I may do a carmel treatment just to loosen the curl pattern in the ng so that application won't be crazy. And I think I'm going to relax in 2 parts, back and then front.

What are your thoughts about what you'll do and when are you planning to relax?

One week before I end my stretches I wash and do an Aphogee deep protein treatment, afterward I air dry and oil my scalp, pin it up, then I don't touch it until relaxer day.

I plan on relaxing at 16 weeks. If I can go longer I will.

I jumped in the shower yesterday in 2 braids after doing all the Thanksgiving running around and cooking ~ didn't have much time. And it felt like one of my braids fell off. It felt shorter. I literally looked towards the drain to see if my hair just fell out (which is my worst nightmare, hairwise). When I hopped out of the shower and looked in the mirror, my hair was still there. I don't know what that freakout was all about but, I'm thinking all this ng, being 17 weeks post is playing games with me. Can't wait to texlax and relax.

Back