Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

@Aggie, thank you for the run down. I will make note of what you suggested and incorporate that on my next stretch. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I TU because I'm experiencing some issues. I'm 13 weeks post and am having a horrible time. I normally TU every 6 weeks. This is only my second stretch. I ended the first at 9 weeks and this one will end around 15 weeks because I already have my TU appointment scheduled with the salon. My hair is breaking and tangled and I've incorporated every suggestion possible but this stretch is just not good for me. My hair was nicely balanced and I was using aphogee 2 minute reconstructor weekly. I had this brainiac idea to use aphogee 2 step to give me a protein boost before my TU and it's been downhill from there. I can't seem to stop the breakage and my hair isn't very moisturized. I tried DCing with Kenra last night and that didn't work. I guess I will clarify again tomorrow and try another DC. My hair feels like straw. If I don't stop this breakage ASAP I will have a problem (a major setback) on my hands. Right now it's still early on enough that I don't think the breakage has caused too much of an impact but if it continues, it will become a major issue.

I hated that Aphogee 2 Step Treatment for the same reason. My hair would break off more each time so I switched to Dudleys DRC 28 and it is thousand times better IMO for my hair. Don't clarify anymore. I would recommend trying Roux's porosity control conditioner instead. I would usually end my wash session with it and then rinse it out with cold water as the final rinse before adding the leave-in treatment.

divachyk You know your hair and your goals better than anyone else. My personal opinion is that you find a stylist who supports you and your goals. It is also important to speak up - you are paying for the service. The stylist should not make you feel like you made the biggest mistake of your life but rather be more understanding and encouraging or disapprove in a gentle manner.
Stretching is not for everybody but at the same time I think that relaxing every 6 weeks is too soon. At the end of the day, do what works for you. Good luck!

Ladies -- I have a stretchers question that I posted in a vent session. Will you please view my thread and chime in.....http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...stylist-re-stretching-tears-shedded-long.html

I did all that rambling to ask --
Now that I've ended my stretch, what do you look for to tell if you suffered any breakage, damage, etc? And how do you determine if your stretch was successful or a failed attempt?

For me, I look for any areas that look thin or broken.

I keep it simple when evaluating my results; if my hair is longer AND thicker then I know I've been successful. I don't go into too much detail with my hair.

I know how you feel, because when my hair dresser relaxes my hair she is really, really ROUGH. I mean, tears trickle out of my eyes. But, she is the only one in my area (that I know of) that carries the brand of relaxer I use. I only go to her once a year though- my hair can't take anymore than a yearly visit. But unlike your hair dresser, she respects the fact that I like my long stretches and when she styles my hair and people comment about how thick and long it is, she can't talk smack about my stretches because the proof is in the pudding...I'm obviously doing something right.

Almost 12 weeks post (I usually relax every 7 weeks)!!

36 more weeks to go ....

OMG! Taz made it to 12 weeks post so far???? Honey I am so proud of you for reaching this far. I know you normally relax at 8 weeks don't you? Anyhoo, doing great so far but watch your progress very closely. If you are experiencing demarcation breakage, stop the stretch. You rhair is way too beautiful and thick to lose from breaking just because of a long stretch that may not necessarily work for you.

I will be watching you as you stretch very closely my dear. All in all, keep up the good work. I will not be doing very long stretches anymore. I will go for as long as I can safely with all my hair on my head and that's it.

:dance7:

I am officially 18 weeks post into my longest stretch ever (my previous record was 13 weeks)--more than halfway to my first goal of 26 weeks! I am pretty sure I am transitioning but I am taking it a week at a time. If I transition I plan to cut the relaxed ends off after 2.5 years.

:dance7:

Tried to texlax my hair on Tuesday after 6-7 mths. I think I am underprocessed especially in the top of my head but I dont mind. I did get some growth but my hair is more thick than long ( luvin it!) now Im back on the stretch.

I know how you feel, because when my hair dresser relaxes my hair she is really, really ROUGH. I mean, tears trickle out of my eyes. But, she is the only one in my area (that I know of) that carries the brand of relaxer I use.
You can always buy your own relaxer and ask a well-recommended stylist to put it in for you.

18 weeks post- 4 weeks with single extensions, I plan to redo the hairline on Friday. I'm still not sure if I'll relax at 6months or 1 year. It all depends on how my ng feels.

Just relaxed after a 19 week stretch. It's growing but very, very slowly! I started my journey at neck length in February 2009 and nearly 21 months later, I'm not even close to APL!! (I didn't take any photos after my relaxer today because the length doesn't look too far off from the 19 weeks post pic.)

I GIVE UP!!!!

Starting length - Feb 2009

Hair Diary - February 11 007.jpg

19 weeks post (before relaxer)

Hair Update - October 003.jpg

Just relaxed after a 19 week stretch. It's growing but very, very slowly! I started my journey at neck length in February 2009 and nearly 21 months later, I'm not even close to APL!! (I didn't take any photos after my relaxer today because the length doesn't look too far off from the 19 weeks post pic.)

I GIVE UP!!!!

Starting length - Feb 2009

View attachment 98633

19 weeks post (before relaxer)

View attachment 98635

PDub, I must be seeing differently. Seems to me that your longest strands were at APL at 19 wks post. Do you mind posting your post-relaxer pics? Did you straighten post relaxer_ blowdry or flat iron? I honestly believe that you are suffering from hair-anorexia.

Aww, thank you Afrochique, for countering my negativity with positive words!! Right now my hair is in bantu knots. I didn't want to see the length after the relaxer because I knew it would be disappointing so I didn't flat iron. I'll post pictures as soon as I straighten. Thank you again for pointing out to me that I'm not too far off!!!

PDub,

Your hair has definitely grown! I can't wait to see some pics as you are one of my hair idols!

Taz, you are so sweet!! I will post pics the next time I straighten my hair. It's because of your beautiful hair that I want mine to grow so bad!! Your hair is amazing - thick, healthy and LONG!:grin: Your hair is my goal!!!

I'M ALSO IN GUYS :D i usually relax every 8weeks but i'm aiming for 6 months for a start so i'm currently 12 weeks and 2 days! my longest stretch SO FAR & 12 more weeks to go! wish you girls the best ! hope i will have a good comparison shot to show by January !

HHG

Hey ladies! Just checking in. I usually would relax every 5-8 weeks.. :nono:yikes. I'm trying to transition to stretching 12-16 weeks at a time. I am currently 4 weeks post and I have 12 more to go. So far so good.

I'm in! At this point, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm currently texlaxed and sitting at 14 wks post. I planned to touch up this week but decided to hold off. I'm not sure if I'm stretching or starting to transition but, I'm taking it one week at a time. So far, this is the longest I've gone yet. I can usually hold out for about 10-12 weeks before my ng shames me into relaxing. I'd like to hold out at least til the end of the year. That'll put me at 22 wks. Yeah....I don't know about that one. :look: Like I said, I'll take it a week at a time. We'll see how it goes.

I'm on week 14. So far, so good. The NG isn't a challenge for me at all right now. I keep my hair pinned up during the week. I have only about 38 weeks to go! lol

this is my 1st yr bein relaxed & i intend to stretch always. currently i'm 18wks post (about 4.5 months) & dont plant to relax til dec/january which will put me at about 6mos. post. i will b weaved up 4 the next couple months so im excited 2 see how much growth i get/retain

Back