Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I am in awe of you all who stretch for a year or more. Just this past Friday I ended a 6 month stretch (my first ever-- prior to that the longest I'd go was 14- 15 weeks) and it about took all my strength to do my hair those last few weeks. I gained a good amount of thickness and I retained pretty much all of what I grew, so I'm happy. I think I'll do 6 month stretches for the next 2- 3 years to see what kind of progress I can get. Good luck to everyone!

Please do join us afrochique, I made 12 weeks this Saturday. My ultimate goal is 10 months even maybe a year, but I plan to re-evaluate at 28 weeks.

Thank you Ojemba and Happily Liberal for being my stretching buddies! :circle:

Yeah afrochique... who knows... you might want to take the plunge and go longer. My goal is really 18 months but I am taking it 6 months at a time. December will be my 26 weeks (six months) check-in. If I am not losing any hair to breakage, I will go longer. Both of you might want to try the home grown steam treatment for your deep conditioners. This has been working wonders for me as I stretch. Also, dilute 2 oz of AVC in a 24 oz spray bottle and saturate your hair with it on wash day to make detangling a breeze.

Nice to see this thread was bumped. I'm about three months post--so half way along my usual stretching time.

Beans, congrats on your progress...your hair looks great!

Let's go for it ladies,

How do you do the home steamer? I've been looking at purchasing a steamer - it's on my christmas wish list. If I can do something at home for now that would be great.

Thanks for the tip on the acv also. Do you aply this to your hair after you did your deep conditioner?

Yeah afrochique... who knows... you might want to take the plunge and go longer. My goal is really 18 months but I am taking it 6 months at a time. December will be my 26 weeks (six months) check-in. If I am not losing any hair to breakage, I will go longer. Both of you might want to try the home grown steam treatment for your deep conditioners. This has been working wonders for me as I stretch. Also, dilute 2 oz of AVC in a 24 oz spray bottle and saturate your hair with it on wash day to make detangling a breeze.

Hey guys, I decided to relax my hair this past Saturday, after 35 weeks. The purpose of this stretch was to nurse my hair back after an overprocess and to correct my porosity issues. I achieved both. Also, I felt I had reached my limit of how much ng I could relax on my own, about 4". I texlaxed with Revlon realistic mild, I did it in halves.

I'm going to follow beans4breezy and post my results in here:

Dec 29, 2009. 1 day post relaxer:

Sept 18, 2010. 1 day post relaxer(wet hair, just washed out o/n DC):

I am so glad I did this stretch, it helped my hair so much. Once I got the techniques down for managing the ng, it wasn't hard at all. So my next stretch starts now, back on the long term stretch train :yep:

Simply amazing!!! Congrats on your progress and best of wishes on your next stretch. Do you mind me asking, what ps did you use during your 35 weeks?

Hey guys, I decided to relax my hair this past Saturday, after 35 weeks. The purpose of this stretch was to nurse my hair back after an overprocess and to correct my porosity issues. I achieved both. Also, I felt I had reached my limit of how much ng I could relax on my own, about 4". I texlaxed with Revlon realistic mild, I did it in halves.

I am so glad I did this stretch, it helped my hair so much. Once I got the techniques down for managing the ng, it wasn't hard at all. So my next stretch starts now, back on the long term stretch train :yep:

Wow halee_J, your hair sure grew a lot and still looks quite thick. You are on your way girlie:yep:.

Thank you ojemba :) in the beginning, it was mainly half wigs because it was too short to go into any kind of updo. Then when it got long enough it was buns, pinups and that hairzing style in my siggy.

Thanks Aggie :blush3: you are a big stretch-peration! (corny sorry :lol:)

Last edited:

LOL. Doesn't feel like us stretchers are always on count down mode? Your results are FANTASTIC!! I'm tryna tell ya- if you can stretch- do. Works wonders for the condition of your hair.

LOL. Doesn't feel like us stretchers are always on count down mode? Your results are FANTASTIC!! I'm tryna tell ya- if you can stretch- do. Works wonders for the condition of your hair.

Thank you Beans :) It does feel like I'm on a countdown again. But it is so worth it :yep: I can't wait to see where I am at the end of this next stretch.

:yay: :bouncegre :dance7: :creatures

Yay... today is the 14 week mark of my planned 26+ week stretch. As of today, I am officially at my longest stretch ever!!!

:yay: :bouncegre :dance7: :creatures

14 Weeks and going strong, just got my hair braided in extension braids that should last me another 10 weeks which will put me on my 24 week.

RT... are you sure the Aphogee 2-step didn't exacerbate the problem. I ended my last stretch early after using the Aphogee 2-step because it actually made things worse. I discovered with my last stretch that my hair can't take hard proteins. With this stretch, I have been mixing one egg with two tablespoons of Castor Oil and using that weekly as my protein treatment (followed by a NTM DC of course). I have virtually no shedding/breakage with this stretch.
Do you leave the protein treatment on for a particular length of time?

Aggie and beans4reezy, I'm not officially a part of this challenge but I read through all 72 pages -- whew! I've gotten some good advice here and in other threads but would love to ask you personally, what advice do you have for someone new to stretching. I'm 13 weeks post and dealt with some tangled unruly hair this past shampoo session. I think I know where I went wrong -- dry ng prior to shampooing and overdosing on aphogee 2 step. I admire both of your progress!

Aggie and beans4reezy, I'm not officially a part of this challenge but I read through all 72 pages -- whew! I've gotten some good advice here and in other threads but would love to ask you personally, what advice do you have for someone new to stretching. I'm 13 weeks post and dealt with some tangled unruly hair this past shampoo session. I think I know where I went wrong -- dry ng prior to shampooing and overdosing on aphogee 2 step. I admire both of your progress!

Waves at divachyk...

30 minutes, no heat (heat will cook the eggs) is sufficient--though, to be honest, I usually do this on a Saturday morning when I have other things to do and I always end up going over 30 minutes. Also, when you rinse the egg concoction out, be sure to use luke-warm water (getting cooked eggs out of your hair is not fun)--you can use hotter water after you do your first poo.

Another alternative is two egg yolks (no whites) mixed in with a cheapie conditioner and castor oil. This alternative will stop you from having to deal with a drippy egg mix.

Waves at divachyk...

30 minutes, no heat (heat will cook the eggs) is sufficient--though, to be honest, I usually do this on a Saturday morning when I have other things to do and I always end up going over 30 minutes. Also, when you rinse the egg concoction out, be sure to use luke-warm water (getting cooked eggs out of your hair is not fun)--you can use hotter water after you do your first poo.

Another alternative is two egg yolks (no whites) mixed in with a cheapie conditioner and castor oil. This alternative will stop you from having to deal with a drippy egg mix.
:hiya2: HL!

I decide to delay my TU for a few weeks until I get my moisture/protein balanced. I am about to steam my hair for about 30mins for added softness. Drippy egg just sounds yuck!!! :spinning: :grin:

Thank you so much divachyk for the compliment. Hmm as far as stretching advice goes - I would definitely ask you to use a mild protein reconstructor treatment weekly or every other week. When I first started stretching I was losing a lot of hair. Then I read Chicoro's fotki album about washing and DCing hair while braided up or in some form of protective style.

Extension braids have helped me stretch tremendously but when I am not in extensions, I would be wearing whole wigs and my hair would normally be braided up in about 4-6 big braids under it and I would wash and Dc my hair while braided up.

I would unravel the braids and gently detangle only while the deep conditioner was in my hair, rinse, add leave-in conditioner and braid it back up. I would also leave it this way as it air-dried, then back to my daily wigs. I would also daily unbraid, moisturize and seal my ends and braid back up without using a comb. The only time I would use a comb was when I was detangling my conditioner-drenched hair in the shower.

Every 8 weeks or so, I would use a stronger protein treatment on my hair like Dudley's DRC 28 Protein treatment or Ultra Sheen Duo Tek protein treatment. Cowashing my braided hair kept my hair pretty soft throughout the stretch. Aussie Moist Conditioner really is the bomb.

Hey halee_J
:Flahsssss:worship2::worship2::woohoo: work that hair girl. It looks great and it is very inspiring. My last relaxer was March and I can't wait to see my results in Nov now.

Aggie, thank you for the run down. I will make note of what you suggested and incorporate that on my next stretch. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I TU because I'm experiencing some issues. I'm 13 weeks post and am having a horrible time. I normally TU every 6 weeks. This is only my second stretch. I ended the first at 9 weeks and this one will end around 15 weeks because I already have my TU appointment scheduled with the salon. My hair is breaking and tangled and I've incorporated every suggestion possible but this stretch is just not good for me. My hair was nicely balanced and I was using aphogee 2 minute reconstructor weekly. I had this brainiac idea to use aphogee 2 step to give me a protein boost before my TU and it's been downhill from there. I can't seem to stop the breakage and my hair isn't very moisturized. I tried DCing with Kenra last night and that didn't work. I guess I will clarify again tomorrow and try another DC. My hair feels like straw. If I don't stop this breakage ASAP I will have a problem (a major setback) on my hands. Right now it's still early on enough that I don't think the breakage has caused too much of an impact but if it continues, it will become a major issue.

Aggie, thank you for the run down. I will make note of what you suggested and incorporate that on my next stretch. Right now I'm just counting down the days until I TU because I'm experiencing some issues. I'm 13 weeks post and am having a horrible time. I normally TU every 6 weeks. This is only my second stretch. I ended the first at 9 weeks and this one will end around 15 weeks because I already have my TU appointment scheduled with the salon. My hair is breaking and tangled and I've incorporated every suggestion possible but this stretch is just not good for me. My hair was nicely balanced and I was using aphogee 2 minute reconstructor weekly. I had this brainiac idea to use aphogee 2 step to give me a protein boost before my TU and it's been downhill from there. I can't seem to stop the breakage and my hair isn't very moisturized. I tried DCing with Kenra last night and that didn't work. I guess I will clarify again tomorrow and try another DC. My hair feels like straw. If I don't stop this breakage ASAP I will have a problem (a major setback) on my hands. Right now it's still early on enough that I don't think the breakage has caused too much of an impact but if it continues, it will become a major issue.

DO NOT clarify again! Do a series of co-washes and DC every other day. Try using Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Masque using the Steam Treatment for an hour to an hour and a half. That Aphogee 2-step is no joke you really have moisturize after using that. Moisture is the only thing that will fix it.

Hey halee_J
:Flahsssss:worship2::worship2::woohoo: work that hair girl. It looks great and it is very inspiring. My last relaxer was March and I can't wait to see my results in Nov now.

Thank you so much Ruby True! :blush3: Your efforts and patience will pay off :yep: I thought it wasn't much until I compared pics and saw how far I've come. Looking forward to seeing your progress, please post pics! :)

im 10 weeks post today. I always stretch my relaxers until i cant deal with my hair anymore. But this is the first time i am trying to do it the correct way. Before i didnt know anything about keeping moisture and protiein in balance or any of the other things i learned on this board, i just strectched because its what i always did. My problem now is keeping my new growth moist, i washed, dc'd applied my leavin and everything yesterday and put my hair in 4 sections with a twist in each section and let it dry like that. This morning my hair feels soft on top but underneath its dry. and my newgrowth in my crown area feels dry. What are some good products or techniques to keeping my new growth moist? also does anybody have any suggestions to keeping my hair moisturized, i can do it today and by tomorrow or tuesday it will be soft to the touch but if you put your hands through my hair underneath it is dry.

this happened to me. Do not clarify, it will make things worse. co wash for awhile. deep conditions and creamy leave ins. it took about 2 weeks to get my hair back right. i dc with kc humecto & honey. my hair can't take the hardcore protein treatments thts why i do that like once a year.
DO NOT clarify again! Do a series of co-washes and DC every other day. Try using Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Masque using the Steam Treatment for an hour to an hour and a half. That Aphogee 2-step is no joke you really have moisturize after using that. Moisture is the only thing that will fix it.

ita!! but isn't ntm masque a light protein as well?

Back