Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I did it for 6 months w/o any problems and now that I found out that my Mini Glide is my NGs new best friend, Im am sure I can make a year.

My last relaxer was on April 25th.

I am 5 months post relaxer and the longest stretch for me ever. Im proud. :weird:
I never thought I could stretch this long and I love it,I plan to relax the first of October.

Yeah beans, I want my hair to be just like yours when I grow up:yep:.

The support in this thread has been amazing. Simply amazing. Once again- thank you girls!!

Well, I am about 4 weeks post relaxer. I do not intend on relaxing until next August. Here we go- another fun ride! We can do it ladies!

To Beans:
Before I became a paying member, I would always lurk and read about your stretch. (No, I am not a stalker) :) It has surely paid off. I stretched for 6 months from Dec 09 to June 10 and made it to full shoulder length from neck length. Currently 2.5 mths post trying to go till Dec (hopefully APL).
You are a stretching inspiration. Keep it up.

I did it for 6 months w/o any problems and now that I found out that my Mini Glide is my NGs new best friend, Im am sure I can make a year.

My last relaxer was on April 25th.

SF,

You just use the mini glide for your new growth? You don't take it down the length of your hair? Thank you in advance. I'm considering a long stretch and I'm trying to get prepared... Thanks in advance.

SF,

You just use the mini glide for your new growth? You don't take it down the length of your hair? Thank you in advance. I'm considering a long stretch and I'm trying to get prepared... Thanks in advance.
I blow dried it first with some Fantasia Frizz Buster in six small sections one at a time. I tried my best to do the roots too. Then I went back and did the roots with the MG one section at a time to make it easier to wade thru. The dryer and the Frizz Buster really straitened my hair out NICELY! I was shocked, to be honest.

I think I'm about 5 months post. I think I'll go 2 more months and then relax. My stretch prior to this one was 5 month. My new growth is extra strong right now :lol: so I'll be PS for the remainder of my stretch. I'm having my mom braid it for me when she flies in :)!

I'll be 5 months post on september 17th.
This time I want to stretch until either my birthday (November 11th) or Christmastime.
I'm using crochet braids for the first time, we'll see how that goes. :lol:

84.5 weeks post and counting. I need to get these old extension braids in about 2 weeks or so out and redo them in about 4 weeks.

To Beans:
Before I became a paying member, I would always lurk and read about your stretch. (No, I am not a stalker) :) It has surely paid off. I stretched for 6 months from Dec 09 to June 10 and made it to full shoulder length from neck length. Currently 2.5 mths post trying to go till Dec (hopefully APL).
You are a stretching inspiration. Keep it up.

Thank you for your support Afrochique! And you WILL make it to December- it is right around the corner! :) Make sure to come back here and update us.

my stretches have been the best thing ever for my hair. i swear tht damage in 04-05 tht started me stetching was meant to be..lol

That's great your stretch is going good. Do you mind me asking what do you think is helping with reducing breakage/shedding?

1. Keeping the relaxed hair strong:

Mild-med protein treatment on the relaxed hair every wash, stonger protein ~every 6-8 wks

2. Mosture moisture moisture:

1-2x a week moisturizing DCs, with lots of slip to make detangling easy, and using a good moistrizing leave-in that helps keep the new groth soft like S-curl.

3. Ceramides

Keep my ng soft and my hair on a whole silkier and more elastic = less tangles and breakage

4. keeping my hair "up"

Protects my ends and prevents tangles.

5. Detangling gently only on hair that is 'wet' with conditioner, or freshly moisturized.

As for shedding, once my scalp clean I don't shed. So washing 2x/week and not putting anything directly on my scalp works. If shampoo is too harsh for you co-washing is another option. Garlic treatments are also good.

I am ending my stretch tomorrow. I will be officially 85 weeks and 3 days post and I KNOW that relaxed hair is what I can manage with absolute ease. I yank out so much of my hair after every henna treatment and I feel like I'm losing progress rather than gaining it. I have given it a fair shot and now that the ride has run it's course, relaxer, sweet relaxer, I have missed you so much, especially today.

I have so much respect for naturals now that I have tried it but I can't any longer. I cannot afford to lose all those tiny pieces of hair all over the place from detangling anymore. I think that almost 20 months post is more than enough.

By the way, I do not plan to stretch my relaxers any longer than 12-14 weeks moving forward. I just want to make sure that I have at least an inch of new growth to relax before I do. That is enough for me to handle on my own with ease and not have to go to a stylist.

Ladies thank you so much for having me in this challenge but I don't think I will be needing it anymore especially since 12-14 weeks is not really considered long-term stretching for me. I just want normal for me now, lol.

^^You are such a source of strength in this thread. We will be so sad to see you go. Make sure you come in from time to time and offer us some pointers! ;)

Aggie, I'll miss your posts in here they are so motivating and helpful. You gotta do what works for you though :yep:

I am ending my stretch tomorrow. I will be officially 85 weeks and 3 days post and I KNOW that relaxed hair is what I can manage with absolute ease. I yank out so much of my hair after every henna treatment and I feel like I'm losing progress rather than gaining it. I have given it a fair shot and now that the ride has run it's course, relaxer, sweet relaxer, I have missed you so much, especially today.

I have so much respect for naturals now that I have tried it but I can't any longer. I cannot afford to lose all those tiny pieces of hair all over the place from detangling anymore. I think that almost 20 months post is more than enough.

By the way, I do not plan to stretch my relaxers any longer than 12-14 weeks moving forward. I just want to make sure that I have at least an inch of new growth to relax before I do. That is enough for me to handle on my own with ease and not have to go to a stylist.

Ladies thank you so much for having me in this challenge but I don't think I will be needing it anymore especially since 12-14 weeks is not really considered long-term stretching for me. I just want normal for me now, lol.

Congrats on your stretch, do you know why you lost hair during your henna treatment? I taught they were suppose to make the hair stronger.

^^You are such a source of strength in this thread. We will be so sad to see you go. Make sure you come in from time to time and offer us some pointers! ;)
Thanks hun. I will try to come in once in a while to see how my girls are doing.

Aggie, I'll miss your posts in here they are so motivating and helpful. You gotta do what works for you though :yep:
Thanks for your support halee.

Congrats on your stretch, do you know why you lost hair during your henna treatment? I taught they were suppose to make the hair stronger.
No it was not the henna that made me lose the hair. It was the extremely tight coils combined with my impatience to detangle them. I need quick actions and detangling tightly coiled hair is not quick for me. It is exhorbitantly time-consuming. I don't care for a lot of heat on my hair so that was not an option for me. A relaxer 3-4 times a year is good enough for me to handle with some measure of ease.

I am actually considering keeping it texlaxed instead of fully relaxed. I hope to straighten it about 90%. Very loose curls would be awesome.

Didn't realize people were doing their updates in here! Beens, your hair is so purty!

Quick question though...how about correctives? My hair is 3c with a relaxer in it right now. I only use Affirm, and right now, changing relaxers isn't an option. But how do correctives work? I really need one done for the whole head. Is it going to be like applying a virgin perm to the whole head?

Off to read the rest of the thread!!

Hi ladies,

my ultimate stretch goal for this stretch is 10 months but I have a midstretch limit which is 28 weeks. I'm currently 11 weeks and would love to have a buddy to tag along with on this journey.

I'm relaxed, 4b/c hair.

Will you be my buddy?:yep:

Hi ladies,

my ultimate stretch goal for this stretch is 10 months but I have a midstretch limit which is 28 weeks. I'm currently 11 weeks and would love to have a buddy to tag along with on this journey.

I'm relaxed, 4b/c hair.

Will you be my buddy?:yep:

I'll be your buddy... I am currently 12 weeks post. My short term goal is 26 weeks (December 2010). I really want to go until December 2011, but I am planning to take a look at my hair at 26 weeks to see if things are OK before I commit to the additional year.

Last edited:
Correctives are done when your first relaxer turned out under-processed or maybe you used a no-lye relaxer for your last relaxer and yu want to change it. For example, if you were under-processed from the last relaxer and you want to correct it, you would put the relaxer on the new growth first for say half the time of the relaxer and about 5 minutes or so before removing the relaxer, you would pull it all the way through your hair to the end to straighten out the ends that were under-processed.

The same applies to if you want to change from no-lye relaxers to lye relaxers and vice versa. Just be very careful to give your hair a good protein treatment before attempting either corrective to strengthen the hair and prepare it for the shock of what's to come.

Didn't realize people were doing their updates in here! Beens, your hair is so purty!

Quick question though...how about correctives? My hair is 3c with a relaxer in it right now. I only use Affirm, and right now, changing relaxers isn't an option. But how do correctives work? I really need one done for the whole head. Is it going to be like applying a virgin perm to the whole head?

Off to read the rest of the thread!!

Last edited:
Ok...so I'm a few days past my 6 month stretch. Yay I can't believe I did it. I always stretched for 12 weeks for years. Now my only issue is, how do I relax my hair now? Should I straighten it first...should I do a rollerset and not straighten my roots so I know my new growth.

13 weeks post + long hot bath without wrapping hair up = :brainfog: :brainfog: :brainfog:

Seriously!!! I usually rollerset my hair which straightens out about 3/4ths of my new growth. That steam took it all back. I HAD to rollerset my dry hair last night to have any shot of slicking it into a bun today.

You can join me and Ojemba. It looks like we are at the same point in our stretch. The past Friday marked 13 weeks for me.

Please do join us afrochique, I made 12 weeks this Saturday. My ultimate goal is 10 months even maybe a year, but I plan to re-evaluate at 28 weeks.

Back