Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I just completed a six month stretch, it was quite challenging towards the end so I won't be relaxing at such long intervals from now on; I'll be going back to relaxing every quarter.

i self relaxed last week at 7 months post. i probably would've gone longer if it wasn't for the humidity from this 90 degree heat.

I'm 24 weeks post today! Yay me!! Two more weeks and this stretch is OVER! If I see a significant difference, I'll continue to relax every 26 weeks. If not, 16 is my limit. Style wise, this has been very challenging. But my new growth has behaved very well. No issues there.

Please, be sure to keep us updated! :yep:

I just completed a six month stretch, it was quite challenging towards the end so I won't be relaxing at such long intervals from now on; I'll be going back to relaxing every quarter.

Your hair looks gorgeous, looks like you gained and retained quite a bit. What were some of the challenges you encountered towards the end of your stretch?

Ugh, you ladies are making me want to continue so I at least make 5 months, I just don't want to suffer a lot of breakage in the process.

Your hair looks gorgeous, looks like you gained and retained quite a bit. What were some of the challenges you encountered towards the end of your stretch?

Ugh, you ladies are making me want to continue so I at least make 5 months, I just don't want to suffer a lot of breakage in the process.

Thanks :) Towards the end the shedding was difficult to deal with and styling was hard. I didn't use any weaves or braids so the last 8 weeks or so I've just looked like a nun because I always just pulled the hair back in quite a severe bun. This was the only way I could keep my hair looking neat and not too much like a mad person!

I know, right???? My baby is due in two weeks, so right now, it's looking like it wont be until late August or September. :yep:

Ohhh I didn't know you were pregnant, congratulations on your new bundle of joy! :)

My last relaxer was over 9 months ago. I'm sort of transitioning to natural, well at least I'm saying that, but I'm still quite open to changing my mind to relax later if that's what feels right. Has anyone ever been indecisive like this? :drunk:

My last relaxer was over 9 months ago. I'm sort of transitioning to natural, well at least I'm saying that, but I'm still quite open to changing my mind to relax later if that's what feels right. Has anyone ever been indecisive like this? :drunk:

OMG...YES!!! :pyro:My last relaxer was May 09--like 13 months ago! I called myself 'transitioning'--but i'm bout to transition my butt to a relaxer! lol. But seriously, i've gotten a handle on my hair for the most part--but styling is just sooo not working. I can't wear my hair curly b/c of the straight ends and I can't get this bad boy straight with a 450 degree FHI--AND then i can't keep it straight--even with sabino...once i walk outside--POOF!. it just never seems to hang right...:afropick:

not sure what i'm gonna do--either BC or texlax :ohwell: What r u leaning toward?

here's a pic of my hair flat ironed w/ sabino moisture block--i was @ a friend's cookout for like 20 mins...u can def see a difference in the relaxed ends and puffy 'new growth'...

Attachments

• 29331_740130236017_10613844_42012438_3537523_n.jpg
    29331_740130236017_10613844_42012438_3537523_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OMG...YES!!! :pyro:My last relaxer was May 09--like 13 months ago! I called myself 'transitioning'--but i'm bout to transition my butt to a relaxer! lol. But seriously, i've gotten a handle on my hair for the most part--but styling is just sooo not working. I can't wear my hair curly b/c of the straight ends and I can't get this bad boy straight with a 450 degree FHI--AND then i can't keep it straight--even with sabino...once i walk outside--POOF!. it just never seems to hang right...:afropick:

not sure what i'm gonna do--either BC or texlax :ohwell: What r u leaning toward?

here's a pic of my hair flat ironed w/ sabino moisture block--i was @ a friend's cookout for like 20 mins...u can def see a difference in the relaxed ends and puffy 'new growth'...

I'm really not sure. I mean, I would love a massive afro, but I am a little put off by how long it will take to grow it, like, massive. But then, I also wouldn't mind having silky long relaxed hair like many of the women on this board. I think I'm leaning more to going natural though, because I know I could just flat iron through my transition and after my BC for the straight look, and I can also be wearing braids and weaves and wigs too when it gets too much. It'd also be a great change, after too many years of relaxing. Also, the process of relaxing and then growing out the new growth and having the two textures can be pretty irritating, I must say. I think going natural does sound more appealing at the moment than relaxing again, so I will just stick to this transition and see how things do :yep:.

Your hair looks lovely by the way, I'm hoping for that length one day :D

I'm there now. I have yet to decide if this is going to be a long stretch or a transition. I'm very tired of relaxers, and my hair has thinned as well. I'm just playing it by ear. Its hot right now, so its easy to stretch for me b/c I'm able to co-wash every other day with no problem.

You know what? I've just looked at Longhairdon'tcare on youtube, and she's really inspiring me to go natural. He hair is so wonderful and long, and she wears it straight often as well, which makes me think, we bother with relaxers at all anymore? Yeah, I really think I'm just gonna go for this, it'll be a good change for me, and probably healthier too in the long run.

You know what? I've just looked at Longhairdon'tcare on youtube, and she's really inspiring me to go natural. He hair is so wonderful and long, and she wears it straight often as well, which makes me think, we bother with relaxers at all anymore? Yeah, I really think I'm just gonna go for this, it'll be a good change for me, and probably healthier too in the long run.

Congrats on the decision. Her hair is beautiful:yep:

Yeah but it still looks good!

I feel ya~ her hair is gorgeous, and I to am falling in love with my hair... even in this high heat humidity I have absolutely no desire to relax. I think I have finally tamed my hair! & who knew all it needed was the right kinda of oil. My hair loves oil!!! & as long as I continue to feed it - it acts RIGHT! :yep::lachen:

I never officially joined this challenge, but I wanted to come in a say I'm ending a 10 month stretch tomorrow (didn't want to relax during pregnancy) and it is the best thing I've ever done for my hair (aside from not relaxing), my hair hasn't been this long since middle school. I plan on only relaxing twice a year from now on.

That's great! I did the same thing when I was prego with my youngest son, he's 8yrs old.

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! :)

Welp, I'll be 18 weeks this Saturday, so I'm still hanging in there. Def won't make it to 24 weeks, but I know I'll make it to 20.

I just wanted peep in and say that you ladies are such an inspiration. Especially Aggie and Beans4Breezy and of course Sylver2 herself!.Y'all make a year seem like cake :yep: I'm kinda doing this from the sidelines. Don't want to join yet another challenge and then flake :rolleyes: :lol: I'm sort of playing a game with myself right now;just how long can I go?

I just recently relaxed and have decided to start off with 3 month stretches until my hair gets longer. I hope to be able to do longer stretches in the future. My first goal is to relearn how to roller set my hair.

Well I just finished my first (and last!) long term stretch! I relaxed at 25 weeks and had very little growth. Here are some things I learned:
-Don't attempt to self relax alone (enlist a friend for help)
-I learned my growth rate (slowwwwww!)
-I won't make APL by December 2010

I'll be stretching 16 weeks max going forward. I'm sure I'll reach APL someday!!!:ohwell:

Here are some photos:

Pic 1 -Feb 2009 (Starting Length)
Pic 2 - December 2009
Pic 3 - June 2010

Attachments

• Hair Diary - February 27 Color and Condition 010.jpg
    Hair Diary - February 27 Color and Condition 010.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
  • December Relaxer - Take 2 001.jpg
    December Relaxer - Take 2 001.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 48
  • June relaxer 003.jpg