Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

GoodmorningRuby/BeautifulESQ (and anyone else with insight): What do you ladies texlax with? I'm a 4a and on week 20 of my stretch (wow that's the first time ive ever stated that to others :grin:)

Currently I'm in braids and phasing off of Phyto because the two times I used it (16 weeks apart) it left my hair super dehydrated and over-proteined. The only pro for phyto is that stretching hasnt been a problem with it - but if you guys are stretching like I am and texlaxing with something else that would be such a gift to know what you're using. :reddancer:

My current salon also carries Mizani so I'm thinking of using that after at the end of this stretch. Spill the beans! :look: please?

I use the Mizani Butter Blend Mild Lye relaxer and it works well as a relaxer for texlaxing on my fine 4a/b hair:yep:.

Another 4a who texlaxes with Phyto and does long stretches?! Yay!!! :meme:

I am so relieved for having found you and to know that you had the same experience. It took me months to realize that Phyto was the culprit of my hair feeling so stiff and strawlike. Even on salon days when I'd get a fresh blow out I'd be itching to run home or to the nearest bathroom to douse my hair in water and leave in conditioner for fear that it would break off

Unfortunately, my last relaxer was with Phyto as well, and it had the same effect on my hair...SUPER drying as time elapsed. I agree, stretching (without braids, wigs, etc.) hasn't been a nightmare with Phyto, but when I get my touch up I will either be using Alter Ego Linage Lye with Shea Butter relaxer or Salerm regular lye. I'm leaning towards Alter Ego. I will never go back to no lye! And if it helps to know, I also 4a and texlax. :yep:

ETA: Others have reported the ease of stretching with AE Lye.

Aggie: It's funny you mentioned that. Thats the exact type of Mizani I was going to ask my salon to use on me. At first I considered Mizani Sensitive Scalp formula till I realized it was no lye :nono:. Do you have any pics of your hair after a Mizani Mild texturizer?

I cant believe I ran into a texlaxer 4a that uses my old relaxer and a 4a texlaxer using the new one I want to switch to. How awesome is that :bud:

I use the Mizani Butter Blend Mild Lye relaxer and it works well as a relaxer for texlaxing on my fine 4a/b hair:yep:.

I am so relieved for having found you and to know that you had the same experience. It took me months to realize that Phyto was the culprit of my hair feeling so stiff and strawlike. Even on salon days when I'd get a fresh blow out I'd be itching to run home or to the nearest bathroom to douse my hair in water and leave in conditioner for fear that it would break off

Aggie: It's funny you mentioned that. Thats the exact type of Mizani I was going to ask my salon to use on me. At first I considered Mizani Sensitive Scalp formula till I realized it was no lye :nono:. Do you have any pics of your hair after a Mizani Mild texturizer?

I cant believe I ran into a texlaxer 4a that uses my old relaxer and a 4a texlaxer using the new one I want to switch to. How awesome is that :bud:

Thanks Bluetopia. Sure I have pics ( the ends are from Mizani no-lye sensitive scalp relaxer I was using before the attempt at texlaxing you see here with MBB) and here they are:

BacktoAPL012309-vi.jpg

MyVshapenowshorterlooksthicker-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm transitioning but ended my last stretch at 4 mos with Optimum Multimineral Reduced Ph Lye in Mild. I used the whole system on and off for quite a few years now. It can be hard on the scalp if you don't base well, but it always left my hair strong, moisturized, and in a healthy state. Plus, it does wonders with straightening! I can't wait 'til I'm natural again!

Good luck to all the ladies on long stretches, this thread was my go-to for great support and encouragement!

Can you describe the key positive aspects that set this relaxer apart for you from other relaxers, as a texlaxer or otherwise? I've been eyeing Mizani as well, keeping my options open, but AE is still number one. :spinning: Decisions, decisions...

:lachen: I am still kicking myself for using Phyto...I didn't notice any extreme dryness until after I did the BKT, which damaged my hair because the heat was way too much. But soon after that, as the BKT was wearing off, I was beginning to realize that Phyto was playing a major role in my moisture retention. I'm glad this happened though, because otherwise I wouldn't have known that no-lye is NOT for me, $70 or not. And now I know that I should have jumped on the Porosity Control bandwagon a long time ago. :yep: What have you been doing to combat the dryness? I know if you're anything like me, you're really frustrated. :wallbash:

Also, I wanted to add as a general statement that conditioner + salt/baking soda/apple cider vinegar (kiya fizzle) = a long term stretcher's/dry hair's dream. :lick: Detangling is a not just a piece of cake, it's the whole cake! Add an ACV rinse, Giovanni Direct Leave-In and some EVOO, and it just gets ridiculous after that...:love2:

GoodmorningRuby/BeautifulESQ (and anyone else with insight): What do you ladies texlax with? I'm a 4a and on week 20 of my stretch (wow that's the first time ive ever stated that to others :grin:)

Currently I'm in braids and phasing off of Phyto because the two times I used it (16 weeks apart) it left my hair super dehydrated and over-proteined. The only pro for phyto is that stretching hasnt been a problem with it - but if you guys are stretching like I am and texlaxing with something else that would be such a gift to know what you're using. :reddancer:

My current salon also carries Mizani so I'm thinking of using that after at the end of this stretch. Spill the beans! :look: please?

Hey Bluetopia, I use Mizani Butter Blends. My hair is very resistant to relaxers so its not hard to texlax my hair. I actually leave my relaxer on longer than most texlaxers and still get a texlax look. I really like Mizani because its very mild and my hair feels great afterwards. Good luck :yep:

ETA: I am 4a in the top and 4b in the back.

Below are pics from my texlax in June, my hair is probably texlaxed the first 6-8 inches then the rest is relaxed straight, I am slowly transitioning to all texlaxed:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
That's It! :yep:

Aggie/BeautifulEsq - after months of waffling...you guys have convinced me to give Mizani Mild a try

GoodmorningRuby - yes I am hella frustrated...so much so I threw my hair in braids 6 weeks ago and have been spraying my it with Qhemets Karkady Tea Replenishing Mist and applying their Tea Tree and Grapeseed pomade to my scalp. When I took one of my braids out the other day I was pleasantly suprised by how soft that strand was so I am excited to continue with that routine for the next 2 weeks and have some moisturized hair when I take the braids out. :lick:

Is there a thread on how to make/use this "Kiya Fizzle" you speak of? It sounds like a fruity carbonated beverage. :lachen:

Aggie/BeautifulEsq - after months of waffling...you guys have convinced me to give Mizani Mild a try

GoodmorningRuby - yes I am hella frustrated...so much so I threw my hair in braids 6 weeks ago and have been spraying my it with Qhemets Karkady Tea Replenishing Mist and applying their Tea Tree and Grapeseed pomade to my scalp. When I took one of my braids out the other day I was pleasantly suprised by how soft that strand was so I am excited to continue with that routine for the next 2 weeks and have some moisturized hair when I take the braids out. :lick:

Is there a thread on how to make/use this "Kiya Fizzle" you speak of? It sounds like a fruity carbonated beverage. :lachen:

That sounds like a great routine! I haven't tried anything from Qhemet other than the moisturizers and the detangling ghee, and so far I'm undecided.

Kiya Fizzle
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381

That thread is a LHCF classic and I highly recommend you check it out. When I want my hair extra soft, moisturized and really (and I mean REALLY) easy to detangle, I add salt and/or baking soda and apple cider vinegar to my conditioner. There is nothing like the feeling of the hair afterwards...

Can you describe the key positive aspects that set this relaxer apart for you from other relaxers, as a texlaxer or otherwise? I've been eyeing Mizani as well, keeping my options open, but AE is still number one. :spinning: Decisions, decisions...

MBB makes my hiar feels soft and retains moisture a lot better than the Design Essentials I was using. Also it really texlaxes my hiar. DE made my hair far too straight for my liking. I feel it is the perfect relaxer for resistant hair. I had to give the tub of it that I had to my sister who has resistant hair.

Just be sure to share your results with us Bluetopia.

I'm ending my stretch this weekend even though I did a two step Im still shedding and now I have a one inch "patch". Its been great and I learned alot about my hair but no more. After I relax I will rejoin the stretch. You guys have been great support and inspiration:grin:

I'm ending my stretch this weekend even though I did a two step Im still shedding and now I have a one inch "patch". Its been great and I learned alot about my hair but no more. After I relax I will rejoin the stretch. You guys have been great support and inspiration:grin:

Okay RT, see you when you get back. You have to do what you have to do for the health of your hair.

I think I will be giving into the creamy crack sometime this week. My new growth is just out of control. DH says my new growth looks like a mini afro:look: My last relaxer was on 8/13 and this is the longest I've ever stretched.

14 weeks post...man my ng is angry because I'm getting a little lazy :arguing: but today I'm giving it a protein treat, DC, roller set and light dusting...that should change its attitude :grin:

RT... are you sure the Aphogee 2-step didn't exacerbate the problem. I ended my last stretch early after using the Aphogee 2-step because it actually made things worse. I discovered with my last stretch that my hair can't take hard proteins. With this stretch, I have been mixing one egg with two tablespoons of Castor Oil and using that weekly as my protein treatment (followed by a NTM DC of course). I have virtually no shedding/breakage with this stretch.

14 weeks post...man my ng is angry because I'm getting a little lazy :arguing: but today I'm giving it a protein treat, DC, roller set and light dusting...that should change its attitude :grin:

Make sure that's just a LIGHT dusting. That far into a stretch the thin ends are deceptive because of the afro near your scalp. I'd skip the dusting unless you are doing a search-and-destroy for split ends.

I looked at MBB, but the price scared me.:look: I am very very satisfied with the no lye version of Silk Elements. It is the first time my hair took so well to a relaxer.:yep: I can definitely see myself stretching to 6 months easily. I just need to practice more roller setting.:rolleyes:

Make sure that's just a LIGHT dusting. That far into a stretch the thin ends are deceptive because of the afro near your scalp. I'd skip the dusting unless you are doing a search-and-destroy for split ends.

Thanks, yeah it's going to be more of a search & destroy...I just want to make sure I don't have split ends creeping in

RT... are you sure the Aphogee 2-step didn't exacerbate the problem. I ended my last stretch early after using the Aphogee 2-step because it actually made things worse. I discovered with my last stretch that my hair can't take hard proteins. With this stretch, I have been mixing one egg with two tablespoons of Castor Oil and using that weekly as my protein treatment (followed by a NTM DC of course). I have virtually no shedding/breakage with this stretch.

You may be right. I will try ORS Hair Mayo next time. My patch was larger than I thought and mainly in my crown area :nono:. The good news is my hair is thicker. I will rejoin on Monday and will try to stretch til the end of March 2010.

Smartypants...I wish I would have read this post BEFORE I took to the scissors. You are exactly right...I "thought" I had thin ends because I was 43 weeks into my stretch and all that newgrowth really mad my ends look thin...so I cut. Can't cry over spilled milk but I have learned my lesson

Are you doing another year-long stretch? I remember you saying you were sticking to six months.

How long will you be stretching this time Sylver2?

i don't know. i guess until i get fed up with it. probably by christmas or new years. so far its been easy smooth sailing. ive been alternating between keracare humecto con & pantene R&N mask. upping the jojoba oil on ends and new growth.

Last relaxer was August 2009. Came off seven month stretch. I think it is too long with the various lengths. Will wait 6 months, then relax in February 2010. Will re-evaulate when more of my lengths are the same because I would like to go a year without relaxing.

so my stretch has been perfect till now- i'm 40 weeks post and yesterday i did a protein DC. i left it on a bit too long, i did a moisture DC afterwards of course, and have just ended another now, but my hair is so brittle it is snapping like crazy. I've put every moisturising item i own on it and nothing seems to be working. every light pull, i hear a snap and i've lost another hair. it's very sad and frustrating, i don't know what to do next.

Back