Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I am 14 weeks post and I am loving my twist outs! I took out the braids about a week ago and I have hennindigo my hair and I am loving the fullness. For the next two weeks I will concentrate on moisture for my hair. I am getting my first full head sew-in 18 Jan. and right before that I will do an Aphogee hardcore to make sure my hair is strong enough. When I take it out I will also get a dusting. I cant believe when I take my sew-in out I will be 7 mos post! If my hair does well with the sew in the first go round then this will be my PS for 2010 only taking like a 2-3 week break to henna, aphogee and then back in a sew-in. I am not relaxing until Nov. right before Thanksgiving.

A friend and I are going to attempt to stretch for a year. I have done 6 months and I know I can do it. I will be roller setting for 6 months and doing buns. protective styles for the last 6.

*rant/ramble*I can't wait to post pictures after I get my touch up. I just know it's going to be a great way to start off the new year in January. *knock on wood* I'm so eager to get some relaxer on this NG. I'm washing my hair tonight, and I don't know what I'm going to do with it after I DC. I'm thinking bantu knots. I'm too lazy to braid. Or maybe I'll go back to my lazy, low manipulation buns? Oh wait, Reecie posted her double bun tutorial recently, I think I'll try that. :grin:

I'm 22 weeks post right now (I think?). My hair looks total HAM, I'm not gonna lie. :spinning: I hate the way it looks when it's wet, but I know I'm doing so much good for my hair. My eyes are on the prize.

I'm really feelin the Aussie Moist. I will be repurchasing it.

Last edited:
LADIES FROM THE DMV WHAT STYLIST DO YOU USE? I AM 15 WEEKS POST AND PLAN TO TEXLAX IN JANUARY. I HAVE TRIED DOING MY OWN RELAXERS = I NEED HELP

Hi EVeryone. i will definitely like to join this challenge but at the same note i am new to this and i will need some support from you gals...my last perm was oct 8th and im trying to stretch for 6months.

Wednesday will make me 26 weeks post and I'm throwing in the towel as soon as I can. :giveup:

The knots are getting to be too much and I lost so much hair tonight I'm getting concerned. Next time I won't go past 16 weeks. :look:

checking in at week nineteen.
only twenty weeks left :]]

i have a question for you ladies.
my ends look a mess and i really want to trim them. i'm four months post with about three inches of ng and i'm worried that if i do trim them now, it'll just be an uneven mess again when i relax. i cut my hair down to about three inches all around in january of 2009 and i haven't had a major cut since. as a result, my hair's not blunt cut so my ends look thin to begin with. i was planning on waiting to even it up a bit until i relax in may but now i'm not really sure. what do you ladies think?

i just braided my hair so it's not an urgent issue just yet, but i really would like to figure out a plan of action for when i remove my braids.

^^^ I guess if you want to do it you can flat iron it straight then get a trim. I am in fact getting a trim in Apr. I will be 7 mos post. I will flat iron and then go and get a dusting.

Wow, congrats beans4reezy! Well I'm coming up on 23 weeks post and I'll be getting my relaxer this Saturday. I wanted to stretch for 24 weeks, but since I'm driving up to see my mom this weekend I'm gonna let her do my relaxer....at this point one more week will not make or break me. This stretch has been surprisingly easy...Giovanni products have been my staples. I could keep stretching, but I miss having silky smooth hair, plus I want an accurate length check. Good luck to all of you as you continue stretching!

Last edited:
checking in at week nineteen.
only twenty weeks left :]]

i have a question for you ladies.
my ends look a mess and i really want to trim them. i'm four months post with about three inches of ng and i'm worried that if i do trim them now, it'll just be an uneven mess again when i relax. i cut my hair down to about three inches all around in january of 2009 and i haven't had a major cut since. as a result, my hair's not blunt cut so my ends look thin to begin with. i was planning on waiting to even it up a bit until i relax in may but now i'm not really sure. what do you ladies think?

i just braided my hair so it's not an urgent issue just yet, but i really would like to figure out a plan of action for when i remove my braids.

I suggest you trim your hair when you get a relaxer because if you do it now you stand a chance of having uneven hair no matter if you straighten

oh yeah im 4 months post but im going for the gusto im in the weave challenge so this sucker will be hidden all of next year

On 12/19 I hit one year. I've decided not to post pics until I cut all of my relaxed ends...
I use to dread wash day but it has gotten better not that I have my regi down.

^^^ I guess if you want to do it you can flat iron it straight then get a trim. I am in fact getting a trim in Apr. I will be 7 mos post. I will flat iron and then go and get a dusting.

I suggest you trim your hair when you get a relaxer because if you do it now you stand a chance of having uneven hair no matter if you straighten

thanks ladies.
my hair doesn't get very straight without a relaxer, it's pretty rebellious.
i think i'll wait to trim until i relax.

texlaxed today....i went in for a mizani touch up but my stylist didn't read the appt sheet and accidentally put Phyto in my hair again out of habit :ohwell:

6 months of stretching, fawning over mizani reviews and growing out my phyto hair....only to have her reapply it?!!!!:lachen: i honestly have to laugh to keep from crying and hope the Universe did this for a reason.

my hair felt like hay after my touch up and now im gonna have to go into moisture overload to make up for her oversight. she's a great stylist but by the time she tried to talk me into a trim and i was like "no ma'am!". i'd had enough and was ready to get out of there.

on the bright side....I FINALLY REACHED APL!!!!! :weird:

Attachments

• Lastof09 071b.jpg
    Lastof09 071b.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 27
texlaxed today....i went in for a mizani touch up but my stylist didn't read the appt sheet and accidentally put Phyto in my hair again out of habit :ohwell:

6 months of stretching, fawning over mizani reviews and growing out my phyto hair....only to have her reapply it?!!!!:lachen: i honestly have to laugh to keep from crying and hope the Universe did this for a reason.

my hair felt like hay after my touch up and now im gonna have to go into moisture overload to make up for her oversight. she's a great stylist but by the time she tried to talk me into a trim and i was like "no ma'am!". i'd had enough and was ready to get out of there.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Awesome!!! I can't remember if I asked you already or if it was previously stated, but we did discuss your moisture retention issue with Phyto and was wondering if you ever tried Roux Porosity Control shampoo or conditioner?

I was an unofficial participant, and made it to 40 weeks. In the future, no more long term stretches for me - I'm stopping at 30-32 weeks!!! My hair gets too unruly.

I loved cheering the rest of you on!

week 12 and going strong. I found a way to detangle my hair and new growth with no breakage. And i only comb/detangle my hair on wash days. I have at least another 14 weeks to go, maybe more if i feel like it.

Checking in at a lil past 7 months post (34ish weeks). So far things are going pretty well and my hair seems about the same though my mom claims it looks longer, I don't see it :ohwell:
I really don't mind the stretching so I decided I might as well go a year.

Last edited:
Officially 20 weeks post relaxer and I'm sooo proud of myself! :yay:

During my last relaxer stretch I barely made it to 11 weeks

10 more weeks to go!

Hey GoodMorningRuby!

I havent tried the Porosity control yet cause the last few weeks of my stretch my hair was so knotted I could barely deal with it. But I'm about to order some of the conditioner on Amazon now. I'm hoping it helps since I accidentally had more Phyto applied into my hair this week :rolleyes:

Awesome!!! I can't remember if I asked you already or if it was previously stated, but we did discuss your moisture retention issue with Phyto and was wondering if you ever tried Roux Porosity Control shampoo or conditioner?

For the rest of my stretching buddies...I posted my 1st yr anniversary thread and pics a couple days ago:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431434

Thank you guys so much for the moral support during this last 26 week stretch. This time around I will only be going 12 -15 weeks and texlaxing (with Mizani) right before my birthday :grin:

Happy New Years!

Officially 20 weeks post relaxer and I'm sooo proud of myself! :yay:

During my last relaxer stretch I barely made it to 11 weeks

10 more weeks to go!

Get it girl!!

Hey GoodMorningRuby!

I havent tried the Porosity control yet cause the last few weeks of my stretch my hair was so knotted I could barely deal with it. But I'm about to order some of the conditioner on Amazon now. I'm hoping it helps since I accidentally had more Phyto applied into my hair this week
:rolleyes:

For the rest of my stretching buddies...I posted my 1st yr anniversary thread and pics a couple days ago:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431434

Thank you guys so much for the moral support during this last 26 week stretch. This time around I will only be going 12 -15 weeks and texlaxing (with Mizani) right before my birthday :grin:

Happy New Years!

I did read about your mishap with Phyto. I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for but you still have gorgeous hair to showcase because of all of your hard work.

After I used Phyto my hair was always dry and still I struggle with occasional dryness. Nothing seemed to help, and initially I attributed my problem to using a no lye relaxer. However, usually the no lye dryness is caused by a calcium build up, but as I understand it, Phyto does not contain the ingredient that causes this. So I checked out even more reviews (both positive and negative) on Phyto and someone suggested that Phyto may be very popular contributor to messing with the hair's porosity. I was doing ACV rinses, and have been for almost a year, and when I started it was months before I relaxed with Phyto. They didn't seem to help much. I eventually picked up Porosity Control and it seems to have improved my hair's moisture retention capabilities a lot. I still don't care for Phyto and would never relax with it again, but at least this stretch hasn't been a complete disaster.

Oh and coincidentally enough I'm relaxing basically right before my birthday too. :grin: We have far too much in common. Can't wait to see your next touch up results; let us know how Mizani works for you.

Don't remember why i was hesitant before but you've sold me on porosity control! Three days post relaxer and im baggying constantly and moisturizing 2-3 times a day due to dryness. Clarifying definitely didn't help in the past so hopefully porosity is the missing link. Thanks for the review!

i often dc on dry hair...i apply my jbco and dc, steam my hair for 30 minutes using the towel method, and then cowash and apply my leave in.

where would i introduce the pc? :look: should i cowash with it or use it to rinse out my dc and then cowash as usual?

how do you use it?

apologies for all the questions but i like to keep my wash days simple and want to make sure im using this product correctly.

Get it girl!!

I did read about your mishap with Phyto. I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for but you still have gorgeous hair to showcase because of all of your hard work.

After I used Phyto my hair was always dry and still I struggle with occasional dryness. Nothing seemed to help, and initially I attributed my problem to using a no lye relaxer. However, usually the no lye dryness is caused by a calcium build up, but as I understand it, Phyto does not contain the ingredient that causes this. So I checked out even more reviews (both positive and negative) on Phyto and someone suggested that Phyto may be very popular contributor to messing with the hair's porosity. I was doing ACV rinses, and have been for almost a year, and when I started it was months before I relaxed with Phyto. They didn't seem to help much. I eventually picked up Porosity Control and it seems to have improved my hair's moisture retention capabilities a lot. I still don't care for Phyto and would never relax with it again, but at least this stretch hasn't been a complete disaster.

Oh and coincidentally enough I'm relaxing basically right before my birthday too. :grin: We have far too much in common. Can't wait to see your next touch up results; let us know how Mizani works for you.

Back