Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

beans4reezy, looking forward to your next progress pic! Loved your last one :yep:

Thank you so much Mummy's girl! I am can't wait until my stretch is over to post some progress pics! Seriously, as soon as I get home from the hairdressers, I'm taking snaps and posting them! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Tomorrow I will be four months post. :rolleyes:

I washed, DCed, flat ironed and trimmed this week and it went well after I had a really hard time detangling because of a certain shampoo :wallbash:.

I always surprise myself at how I can barely stand the way it feels to wear my hair down especially when it's straightened. It had swang, looked great and all that but I had to put it up like one or two hours later. It wasn't even my intention to protective style, but oh well. Hopefully detangling will be a breeze when I wash and DC tomorrow if I get to it. Two more months of kickin' it with this new growth...

Oops, I wanted to add...

This picture was taken recently... last month. I don't try to "tame" my new growth at all, in fact I am quite preoccupied with it seeing it most of the time, but it's crazy. And this picture does no justice in regards to growth. Plus I prefer textured styles to smoother, straighter or sleeker styles these days anyway.

DELETEd

Last edited:
Oooh Count Me in!! I've been thinking about transitioning but decided to do a test run before I fully commit to the idea and try a long term stretch instead.

I'm currently 4 months post - my longest stretch ever. Going for 6 months and will then take it in 2 month intervals from there. :yep: Ultimate goal is a year but we'll see. It'll be hard to resist caving in when/if I reach 10 months post in May since it'll be my birthday by then...hmm.

Subscribing for inspiration! :D

Oops, I wanted to add...

This picture was taken recently... last month. I don't try to "tame" my new growth at all, in fact I am quite preoccupied with it seeing it most of the time, but it's crazy. And this picture does no justice in regards to growth. Plus I prefer textured styles to smoother, straighter or sleeker styles these days anyway.

Me too! I like it when my NG makes my fine/thin hair fuller and thicker. :yep:

haven't checked in for a minute now but I'm 32weeks post..never thought I'd make it but I'm doing great!

Oooh Count Me in!! I've been thinking about transitioning but decided to do a test run before I fully commit to the idea and try a long term stretch instead.

I'm currently 4 months post - my longest stretch ever. Going for 6 months and will then take it in 2 month intervals from there. :yep: Ultimate goal is a year but we'll see. It'll be hard to resist caving in when/if I reach 10 months post in May since it'll be my birthday by then...hmm.

Subscribing for inspiration! :D

You're in the right place Lexib. You can do it.

Week 27. I think I may be transistioning. Not
sure though. I finally found a sew-in stylist that doesn't
try to rip thru my ng with a fine comb.have
about 3 inches ng. Just did a new sew-in
and I'll keep it for 5-6 weeks.

Just when I thought I had a plan all together. I was supposed to relax in five weeks, now I am expecting. I am really conflicted because I am not sure I want to use any chemicals in my hair while I am carrying (I did not for my first). Then again, if I don't relax now, I wont for another 7 MONTHS!!!!

I really am in between. I am not sure what to do :( Arrggh!

Just when I thought I had a plan all together. I was supposed to relax in five weeks, now I am expecting. I am really conflicted because I am not sure I want to use any chemicals in my hair while I am carrying (I did not for my first). Then again, if I don't relax now, I wont for another 7 MONTHS!!!!

Congrats on your pregnancy beans4reezy. If you are most comfortable with using no relaxer chemicals during your pregnancy, then I'd say don't relax. You can always keep up with protective styling where you won't have to touch your hair for weeks at a time. That's what I would do.

Beans!! First of all...:clap::clap:Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Hm...this is definitely a tough one. Have you ever considered transitioning to natural? That's essentially what you'd be doing if you don't relax until the baby is born, because of the natural/relaxed ratio. I know that is what some women here have done. You have LOTS of support here and I am confident that if you decide not to relax that you will make it through. I cannot promise that it will come without difficulty, and the occasional frustration. Also, I would definitely recommend you talk about this with your doctor and get his or her professional input on the matter.

ETA: Oh yes, and as Aggie mentioned, protective styling is still an option. Braids, flat twists, traditional twists, wigs, etc.

Thanks Aggie and GoodMorningRuby! I think I will talk to my Obstetrician and weigh the pro's and the con's...still undecided.

13 weeks post, still going strong :yep: I was planning to relax at 16 weeks, but now I'm seriously considering a 6 month stretch...it would be my first, but I think I can do it :nervous2:

aww beans4reezy congratulations on your pregnancy. I have to wait another 7 months to see your progress. ok (sad face)

No, you will Bestblackgirl! I decided that I will get my hair blow dried and straightened in December so that I can measure my progress. I will continue to stretch during my pregnancy with maybe quarterly heat checks when I want to see length. Although I wont be getting my hair touched up, I will still post pics in this thread. :yep:

CONGRATULATIONS BEANS!!!!! I cant wait to see your little bundle!

Small update for me. I was suppose to get my braids (edges) redone after 3 weeks and I miscalculated by a week so I will get my braids redone this friday which is almost 4 weeks. I cant believe I did that.

I am 7 weeks post so nothing is really happening in my head.

Last edited:
Thanx beans.
I'll be 6 wks in 2 days. And I'm planning on relaxing til April 6 @ 6 months. I'll see if I can make it. So far nothing is really going on. So far so good

I was just looking for this challenge. I've been away for quite a while but I'm back now and hopefully not kicked out. I went on the longest stretch of my life from July 1 to November 8th.

The results are in my siggy.

I am texlaxed....again!

I'm going on my next stretch from now until March 2010 where I hopefully will be past SL and on my way to APL

17 weeks post. :spinning: I've been doing everything in four sections. Pre-pooing, DCing, washing, detangling, moisturizing, and even styling in four sections. It's working beautifully.

And I don't know if I mentioned this before or not but Giovanni Smooth as Silk and 50/50/ are helping me A LOT as bases for my DC's. My new growth loves the combination.

GoodmorningRuby/BeautifulESQ (and anyone else with insight): What do you ladies texlax with? I'm a 4a and on week 20 of my stretch (wow that's the first time ive ever stated that to others :grin:)

Currently I'm in braids and phasing off of Phyto because the two times I used it (16 weeks apart) it left my hair super dehydrated and over-proteined. The only pro for phyto is that stretching hasnt been a problem with it - but if you guys are stretching like I am and texlaxing with something else that would be such a gift to know what you're using. :reddancer:

My current salon also carries Mizani so I'm thinking of using that after at the end of this stretch. Spill the beans! :look: please?

17 weeks post. :spinning: I've been doing everything in four sections. Pre-pooing, DCing, washing, detangling, moisturizing, and even styling in four sections. It's working beautifully.

And I don't know if I mentioned this before or not but Giovanni Smooth as Silk and 50/50/ are helping me A LOT as bases for my DC's. My new growth loves the combination.

I am on my 14th week now. Still going strong. Maybe I might go longer than I originally intended which was 18 weeks.

I am 15 weeks into my 45 week stretch. It seems even longer as I watch myself write it out. I just got braids I plan on keeping in 8-12 weeks.
I moisturize daily and also plan on making an aloe vera, wheat germ oil spritz for my scalp. :lick:

I'm 27 weeks in. Still going great. I haven't straightened in a while but it looks the same length as it was at week 19, ng looks about the same length as well. I guess I'm kinda over my hair right now.

I can't believe I am at 46 weeks this friday...I am starting to get the urge to texlax but I want more length so that means I need to hide it again. I guess I will be back in braids over the winter break...this way the cold won't affect my hair as much.

GoodmorningRuby/BeautifulESQ (and anyone else with insight): What do you ladies texlax with? I'm a 4a and on week 20 of my stretch (wow that's the first time ive ever stated that to others :grin:)

Currently I'm in braids and phasing off of Phyto because the two times I used it (16 weeks apart) it left my hair super dehydrated and over-proteined. The only pro for phyto is that stretching hasnt been a problem with it - but if you guys are stretching like I am and texlaxing with something else that would be such a gift to know what you're using. :reddancer:

My current salon also carries Mizani so I'm thinking of using that after at the end of this stretch. Spill the beans! :look: please?

Unfortunately, my last relaxer was with Phyto as well, and it had the same effect on my hair...SUPER drying as time elapsed. I agree, stretching (without braids, wigs, etc.) hasn't been a nightmare with Phyto, but when I get my touch up I will either be using Alter Ego Linage Lye with Shea Butter relaxer or Salerm regular lye. I'm leaning towards Alter Ego. I will never go back to no lye! And if it helps to know, I also 4a and texlax. :yep:

ETA: Others have reported the ease of stretching with AE Lye.

Last edited:
i'm still hanging in there. not sure when or if i plan to perm again. i've been practicing with twistouts - haven't done one that i'm completely confident wearing down. so, i've been pinning them into buns. even though i haven't mastered it, i'm loving how soft and moisturized my hair feels doing the twistouts.

Back