Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Checking in at like 14 weeks. I'm SO frustrated right now. :wallbash: I'm really considering just transitioning instead of getting a touch up in January because it's times like these that I wish I was natural...the more new growth I get, the more I love it and miss being natural while feeling frustrated at the same time. I'm severely style challenged at this point to the extent that I have briefly considered doing a BC right now or going completely bald. (which I have in the past out of curiosity) I'm done venting for now; I don't want to say too much...:nono: Off to spend time in the transitioner's support thread...

I can certainly identify with the bolded, but I don't want to chop off my hair. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to stick with wigs, braids and cornrows for now. I may even consider doing a kinky curly synthetic weave for the Christmas holidays.

I did this before and it was beautiful and I know this will suit me now especially because of all the new growth I have now. Try a different protective style for now and stretch a little longer or do the BC as you suggested, but don't relax just yet.

Okay so I'm seriously considering stretching until the mid-March 2010 (which would make me 7 months post); I had severe breakage in my nape & middle area pre-LHCF and it's so frustrating because I'm trying to grow it out. I mainly wear braid outs so its not obvious, but I want it to look dramatically better the next time I relax. And I know the shrinkage makes hair seem shorter/thinner, that also drives me crazy...

I refuse to cut it because it would take me from APL to SL (I'm 5'8 so that's a lot of inches)...okay I'm finished, I just needed to vent :look:

I'm 8 months into my HHJ & my hair health and progress has been great...I just need to pray for patience

Ok I'm back you guys.... I'll be 8 weeks post tomorrow... shooting for 16. :yay:

When I'm done with this 20 month stretch, this is about the length of time I'm looking forward to making my future stretches - 17-18 weeks. I might stretch 20-22 weeks sometimes too. This will depend on when the special occasions and special holidays fall:grin::yep:.

Hello ladies! I'd like to join this challenge.

My longest stretch was 15 and a half weeks and I swore that I would never do it again. Detangling and styling my hair was a nightmare! However, I feel like I need a new challenge so I'm giving it a try again. I'm currently 14 weeks post and suprisingly, I'm doing really well. The Giovanni Smooth as Silk line, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, and Hairveda's Vatika Frosting are helping me tremendously! I wear half wigs most of the time and I never use heat (except when DCing). I'm striving for 24 weeks so hopefully this regimen will continue to work for me.

I can certainly identify with the bolded, but I don't want to chop off my hair. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to stick with wigs, braids and cornrows for now. I may even consider doing a kinky curly synthetic weave for the Christmas holidays.

I did this before and it was beautiful and I know this will suit me now especially because of all the new growth I have now. Try a different protective style for now and stretch a little longer or do the BC as you suggested, but don't relax just yet.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice, Aggie. Wigs, braids and the like aren't really an option for me right now. My hair would have been braided up a long time ago if I knew anyone who could do it for me, or I knew how to do it myself. Anyway, my largest problem is that I am texlaxed, but the way I texlax the relaxer only stays on the hair for a much shorter period of time than a lot of the other texlaxers, so the hair comes out VERY underprocessed. This is the result that I aim for when I texlax but during stretching the chemically treated hair is so similar to the new growth that it's hard to differentiate the two textures BUT the chemically treated hair is obviously much weaker than the new growth.

Additionally, the texlaxed hair has suffered severe BKT damage and has demonstrated a major dislike for no-lye relaxers, making it even weaker. But it has improved drastically as far as moisture retention and overall behavior. I'm not experiencing excessive shedding or any breakage. I'm just frustrated because the length I have it at right now isn't enough for a protective bun as a result of the shrinkage, which is nearing intolerable. And low manipulation is making tangles and knots inevitable. Braidouts don't work for me, nor do twists. I've been forced to do bantu knots ALL the time, and it's not even guaranteed that it will look good when I take them out. I'm going to keep going, though, because my hair deserves a commitment and I know in the long run I will benefit greatly.

How is your stretching coming along?

I am 3 weeks post now. I will be relaxing Feb 2010 at 4 months post... Last stress was 4 months as well. My dream is to stretch for 6 months... But so far its really hard since i dont wear weaves, wigs or braids.

I really don't know if I would feel comfortable blow styling my hair for so many weeks in a row, heck I hate too much heat styling on the whole. Your hair may be able to handle it though. I know my hair can't do it. The last time direct heat touched my hair was in May and prbably won't again until December or January 2010...... maybe! I would be so scared to apply heat so often on my hair:look:.

Yeah, I'm really wondering if I'm doing more harm than good. I think I will rotate it out and just do a tight rollerset this weekend. I believe Gissrell (msp) get's a weekly blowout and her hair is gorgeous. I'll make sure to stay on top of my conditioning.

When I'm done with this 20 month stretch, this is about the length of time I'm looking forward to making my future stretches - 17-18 weeks. I might stretch 20-22 weeks sometimes too. This will depend on when the special occasions and special holidays fall:grin::yep:.

Aggie, how long is your hair now. Didn't you recently cut some length off, or is it someone else I'm thinking of. I can't wait to see your hair. Question, what is your ultimate detangler that is helping you stretch?

Thank you for your encouragement and advice, Aggie. Wigs, braids and the like aren't really an option for me right now. My hair would have been braided up a long time ago if I knew anyone who could do it for me, or I knew how to do it myself. Anyway, my largest problem is that I am texlaxed, but the way I texlax the relaxer only stays on the hair for a much shorter period of time than a lot of the other texlaxers, so the hair comes out VERY underprocessed. This is the result that I aim for when I texlax but during stretching the chemically treated hair is so similar to the new growth that it's hard to differentiate the two textures BUT the chemically treated hair is obviously much weaker than the new growth.

Additionally, the texlaxed hair has suffered severe BKT damage and has demonstrated a major dislike for no-lye relaxers, making it even weaker. But it has improved drastically as far as moisture retention and overall behavior. I'm not experiencing excessive shedding or any breakage. I'm just frustrated because the length I have it at right now isn't enough for a protective bun as a result of the shrinkage, which is nearing intolerable. And low manipulation is making tangles and knots inevitable. Braidouts don't work for me, nor do twists. I've been forced to do bantu knots ALL the time, and it's not even guaranteed that it will look good when I take them out. I'm going to keep going, though, because my hair deserves a commitment and I know in the long run I will benefit greatly.

How is your stretching coming along?
:bighug:, Oh I'm sorry you're having a hard time with your stretches and your hair. I hope it gets better for you soon:yep:.

Yeah, I'm really wondering if I'm doing more harm than good. I think I will rotate it out and just do a tight rollerset this weekend. I believe Gissrell (msp) get's a weekly blowout and her hair is gorgeous. I'll make sure to stay on top of my conditioning.

Okay great, the bolded is very important if weekly heat will be applied. I think ladies with thick coarse hair can use and handle heat more than fine haired ladies and my hair is fine, so I steer clear of direct heat as much as possible.

If you do decide to use heat frequently, keep watching your hair's reaction to the heat everytime you use it just to make sure you're not losing too much of your hair.

Aggie, how long is your hair now. Didn't you recently cut some length off, or is it someone else I'm thinking of. I can't wait to see your hair. Question, what is your ultimate detangler that is helping you stretch?

Yes it was me you were thinking of - for the year, I've taken off 8 inches so far and will be cutting off more as I get deeper into my stretch. My aim is to remove all the bone-straight relaxed hair and texlax it afterwards. I am hiding it for a long while but I will try to take progress pics along the way.

I use GVP Paul Mitchell The Detangler and v05 conditioners in the shower, or Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalizing leave-in conditioner once dried. I just bought a new detangler and leave-in called Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier that I will be using today to see if it's even better than the others I have been using. I will update on how it worked when I'm done.

I just finished giving myself a steam deep conditioning treatment and is about to wash it out to get ready for my detangling session. Stay tuned, update to follow:yep:.

Checking in at like 14 weeks. I'm SO frustrated right now. :wallbash: I'm really considering just transitioning instead of getting a touch up in January because it's times like these that I wish I was natural...the more new growth I get, the more I love it and miss being natural while feeling frustrated at the same time. I'm severely style challenged at this point to the extent that I have briefly considered doing a BC right now or going completely bald. (which I have in the past out of curiosity) I'm done venting for now; I don't want to say too much...:nono: Off to spend time in the transitioner's support thread...

Do not cut your hair out of frustration. Go get yourself a phony bun or two, baggy your ends with a good moisturizer, and hide your hair under the phony bun. The only reason I've survived this long is because my hair is always hidden under a bun.

Okay great, the bolded is very important if weekly heat will be applied. I think ladies with thick coarse hair can use and handle heat more than fine haired ladies and my hair is fine, so I steer clear of direct heat as much as possible.

If you do decide to use heat frequently, keep watching your hair's reaction to the heat everytime you use it just to make sure you're not losing too much of your hair.

I promise there is nothing course or thick about my hair.:nono: I've always been told as a kid that I had thin hair, I guess not as many strands. It has thicken tremendous since joining this site. I actually lose more hair detangling and rollersetting than I do blowdrying.

I promise there is nothing course or thick about my hair.:nono: I've always been told as a kid that I had thin hair, I guess not as many strands. It has thicken tremendous since joining this site. I actually lose more hair detangling and rollersetting than I do blowdrying.

You are indeed one of the lucky ones:yep:. I wished my hair could handle that much heat, but it can't:nono:.

Yes it was me you were thinking of - for the year, I've taken off 8 inches so far and will be cutting off more as I get deeper into my stretch. My aim is to remove all the bone-straight relaxed hair and texlax it afterwards. I am hiding it for a long while but I will try to take progress pics along the way.

I use GVP Paul Mitchell The Detangler and v05 conditioners in the shower, or Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalizing leave-in conditioner once dried. I just bought a new detangler and leave-in called Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier that I will be using today to see if it's even better than the others I have been using. I will update on how it worked when I'm done.

I just finished giving myself a steam deep conditioning treatment and is about to wash it out to get ready for my detangling session. Stay tuned, update to follow:yep:.

The steamer treatment was pretty great - very good investment. As far as detangling, the Taliah Waajid mist is best for my hair, even better than the GVP PM The Detangler:yep:.

How's it going stretchers? Who's really stretching like Sylver 2 such as no braids, no wigs, no weaves. Just dealing with your own hair. How far along are you and what are you doing to make this stretch easy. I'm only 16wk.

I am. I'm no into the fake hair thing, always to afraid I'll be "found out".:look: I have been using her low manipulation approach and it really works great! I never thought I could go a week without coming through my hair but I do and when I detangle in the shower I have very little hair loss. I do not look cute in buns, strangers even comment on how much better I look with my hair down!:ohwell: So braidout and flexirod sets are my daily staples and if I must toot my own horn - they leave me looking good!:drunk:

I'm in!! Planning to wear my hair in braids for a one year stretch. Two months in braids so far. My last perm was in June and I have two solid inches of new growth. I must say that I'm excited and depressed when I see the contrast in fullness and health between my "old hair" and my new growth. Thinking there may be the sound of scissors at the end of my long-term stretch. Happy hairgrowing!!

How's it going stretchers? Who's really stretching like Sylver 2 such as no braids, no wigs, no weaves. Just dealing with your own hair. How far along are you and what are you doing to make this stretch easy. I'm only 16wk.

I am... unless you count the phony bun I attach to my head. My hair is not long enough to make it's own bun, so I have to use the phony ones. I am hoping that by the time this stretch ends my hair WILL be long enough to ditch the phony bun.

So far it's been 3 months for me. Just dealing with my own hair. I'm still debating whether I should get my 6 month touch up in January or just wait until April or May.

I'm wondering if I'm going to keep stretching or go ahead and transition..... either way.... 2 months for me. My hair dried out almost over night. I'm not sure what happened.... I haven't changed anything. I had a few broken pieces (more than I wanted) so I did the only thing I knew to do just to tide me over. I used braid spray. It's moisturizing my situation until I can co-wash.

Checking in at week 32. I actually miscalculated and I will be going in for a touch-up at week 39 instead of 40. Thank goodness! It may only be a week, but this stretch feels endless. I can't believe I made it to week 32 though- I am really proud of myself :) Well, wiggin my way until the end, unless I get bored.

Janeemat, the coarseness of your hair doesn't refer to how many strands you have on your head; rather, it refers to the diameter of each strand. So hair that is thicker in diameter ("coarser") may tolerate a relaxer more easily, according to Aggie... :yep:

Janeemat, the coarseness of your hair doesn't refer to how many strands you have on your head; rather, it refers to the diameter of each strand. So hair that is thicker in diameter ("coarser") may tolerate a relaxer more easily, according to Aggie... :yep:

This is correct AAP:yep:.

Back