Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Last week I co-washed, DCed and blow dryed the hair using only Giovanni Direct Leave-In and Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat Protectant, and then did bantu knots on dry hair. The next day I took it down and when it came time to go to bed I just lightly applied Lacio Lacio in sections along the length of the hair and on the NG and sealed with Jane Carter Nourish & Shine (concentrating on the ends and NG), and redid the bantu knots....went to bed, took it down the next day and repeated the Lacio Lacio/Jane Carter N&S/bantu knot routine.

This would continue throughout the week, until last night when it was time to co-wash and do a protein/moisture treatment. (I wear shower cap during the week to maintain a style achieved through direct heat i.e. blow drying). So, last night I mixed together warmed up honey, warmed up EVOO, Aphogee 2 Minute, Hydratherma Naturals Moisture Boosting Deep Con, and Elasta DPR, applied it to dry hair after putting the concoction in the microwave. I covered with a plastic cap and left it alone with no heat for like an hour. When I was rinsing this out in the shower...OMG...my hair was unbelievably soft and virtually detangled without even using the comb. I forgot how much my hair loves honey and EVOO. It was great! And the NG was like, flawlessly blended into the rest of the hair....I'm so glad this happened. This is going to make the last weeks of my stretch a piece of cake. (I hope...knock on wood.) :grin:

Also, I've completely cut out shampoo until my stretch is over, co-washing only, and will probably do bentonite clay treatments 3x more (once per month) before my stetch is over.

What styles is everyone rocking while transitioning and how often do you wash your hair?

Well...I'm not the kind of person who gets really anal about the roots not being perfectly flat, smooth, lying down, whatever with the rest of the hair (although it is a plus sometimes), because most of my styles feature lots of texture anyway. Or maybe it's because I very rarely wear my hair down? Bantu-knots, dry, wet or damp, are very frequent for me, especially since they give off the illusion of a lot of volume/body which easily decreases the obviousness of my NG, if that makes sense. My hair is up 99.9% of the time, in large claw clips, accompanied by bobby pins. I love bobby pins, they work wonders... I've always been scared that my gravitation towards clips and bobby pins would be my hair's downfall because of breakage, but I don't have that problem, so it's working just fine. I bun when I'm giving my hair a break. That's pretty much it..braid-outs don't work for me right now...neither do twist outs...I've tried ponytail rollerts, and I'm too lazy for them...

I co-wash where I feel it's necessary, which can be anywhere from 1-3x per week.

For those of you who normally stretch 16+ weeks...do you self-relax? If not, are you charged more money by your stylist because you have more ng?

Hi

I don't normally stretch (this is just my second time)...the first time that i did (for nine months -with the help of braids and weaves) my stylist did* charge me more.

I have also looked at the prices of some other stylists online, and some specify that they do charge more for more than a certain amount of new growth.

Hi everyone :wave:

i have stretched for about 18 weeks so far, trying to get to 24.

so far it's been ok, i have been washing and airdrying, and just tying down with a scarf. Lately that doesn't seem to be working, the new growth pops right back up :lachen:

I'm thinking of tree braids, but those don't seem to last very long for me

Hi

I don't normally stretch (this is just my second time)...the first time that i did (for nine months -with the help of braids and weaves) my stylist did* charge me more.

I have also looked at the prices of some other stylists online, and some specify that they do charge more for more than a certain amount of new growth.

:hiya: Catlady, thanks for responding I figured most stylist might charge more :ohwell:...Good luck on your Stretch!

I'm still going at these knots. Im going to get them all out today. I've been in the house for like two days now. I have class and an interview on Friday. Once I air dry in braids, ill bun it and hopefully everything will go well. Ill come back to update.

How's it going stretchers? Who's really stretching like Sylver 2 such as no braids, no wigs, no weaves. Just dealing with your own hair. How far along are you and what are you doing to make this stretch easy. I'm only 16wk.

I'm 17 weeks post.
I'm in canerows right now (no extensions) - salon did them. They have been in for nearly 2 weeks and my hair needs washing badly but i'm scared to deal with my hair. Last time i tried to transition i got fed up with the two textures and shaved off my hair! It grew to collarbone length then i went and relaxed it.

I'm determined to do a long term transition so i'm patting myself on the back for making it to 17 weeks.

I'm glad of this thread as it will keep me away from the scissors.

Last edited:
How's it going stretchers? Who's really stretching like Sylver 2 such as no braids, no wigs, no weaves. Just dealing with your own hair. How far along are you and what are you doing to make this stretch easy. I'm only 16wk.

I've been rotating b/t an updo and a bun. At times I want to stop and relax (i will be 44 weeks on Friday) but my DH keeps me motivated:grin:

I've been rotating b/t an updo and a bun. At times I want to stop and relax (i will be 44 weeks on Friday) but my DH keeps me motivated:grin:

Wow! 44wks, that's wonderful. Is this your first long stretch? Are you planning to end it at 52 wks. I would just love to get to 24 wks.

I am by keeping my hair covered daily. I wear scarves and snoods. Two weekends ago, I purchase a half wig with the intentions of wearing it daily. After getting it home and trying it out, I decided to wait until I had a fresh relaxer. Those darn combs ripped a couple of my strands out and I was heated:wallbash::yep:. I have since removed the combs and plan on using bobby pins when I decide to wear the half wig out in Dec.

Last edited:
I'm 17 weeks post.
I'm in canerows right now (no extensions) - salon did them. They have been in for nearly 2 weeks and my hair needs washing badly but i'm scared to deal with my hair. Last time i tried to transition i got fed up with the two textures and shaved off my hair! It grew to collarbone length then i went and relaxed it.

I'm determined to do a long term transition so i'm patting myself on the back for making it to 17 weeks.

I'm glad of this thread as it will keep me away from the scissors.

In the bold, I understand exactly what you mean. 17 Wks is a good stretch. Last week I braided my hair back in 6 cornrows for a braidout that Friday. Instead, I through on a cute hat and wore it all day at work and then left them in until Sunday morning. My head did get kind of warm from having the hat on all day.

Me! It's going pretty well for me. I'm actually transitioning but I am primarily doing buns, braidouts, and twistouts. I also did a flexirod set I was really happy with. I plan to experiment more with rollersets. I really don't want to do braids because of my edges and I've never done wigs or weaves.

Wow! 44wks, that's wonderful. Is this your first long stretch? Are you planning to end it at 52 wks. I would just love to get to 24 wks.

Thanks! This is my first long stretch....my previous stretch was 6 months. Initially I was going to end at 52 but now I believe I am going to try to transition. You can do it! Your hair will tell you what it likes and doesn't like. The BEST piece of advice for me was to detangle during my prepoo....

I am, I'm now 24 weeks post (this is my 1st stretch) and have never had a weave or braids. I don't do wigs because I'd still have to deal with my real hair underneath (washing, detangling, DCing...) It's been fairly easy so far, I wash/cowash every 2 days or so. DC once a week and that's pretty much it. I do braidouts, wash n gos and just stick it up with a clip when I don't feel like dealing with it.

Last edited:

I'll be 10 weeks post on Friday (going for at least 16 weeks); I don't wear braids, wigs, weaves, and I don't use direct heat. It's just my hair & I :yep: DC'ing on dry hair (or pre-pooing w/ a cheapy conditioner) followed by co-washing has really made my stretch very easy so far.

 I'm 14 wks. post 2nite; officially my longest stretch ever.
I had to give up the Rusk and NTM and go back to my staple products though.

I'm at 8 weeks now. Doing better. I had some breakage because my hair wasn't happy but I'm back on point. The new growth is dead serious lol.

Is it too late to join? My last touch-up was August 21st and I am now 9 weeks post. I don't plan on getting a touch-up until January '10, roughly at 20+ weeks post - my ultimate goal would be to hold out until March or April. My stylist is scissors-happy ya'll and she's sabotaging my goals for APL.

I'm looking for tips on how to keep my ends moisturized during these stretches for length retention.

Thanks,
jayjay

Is it too late to join? My last touch-up was August 21st and I am now 9 weeks post. I don't plan on getting a touch-up until January '10, roughly at 20+ weeks post - my ultimate goal would be to hold out until March or April. My stylist is scissors-happy ya'll and she's sabotaging my goals for APL.

I'm looking for tips on how to keep my ends moisturized during these stretches for length retention.

Thanks,
jayjay

It's not too late jayjay. This is one of those ongoing challenges so hop right in and start stretching girlie:grin:.

 I'm 14 wks. post 2nite; officially my longest stretch ever.
I had to give up the Rusk and NTM and go back to my staple products though.

Me too JN. I need to finish up the Rusk Smoother leave in I have as well. It will not be a re-purchase item for me either. The NTM products have way too many cones for my fine strands. I'll stick with Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalizing and Alba Botanica as my exclusive leave-in conditioners for now.

Hey ladies I'm going into my 11th week since my last touch up on Aug. 13th. The longest I've ever went is 10 weeks. I was planning to relax on Nov. 12 at 13 weeks post for my DD birthday party on the 14th but I think I'll just flatiron :look: I'm actually enjoying this stretch. Dh says I should stretch as long as possible, easy for him to say :lachen: I've been using Sunshyne from hairliscious regimen and its working great for me :yep:

I would like to join this challenge too.

So far Im 12wks post relaxer. This is the longest Ive gone w/o a relaxer. I recently told went to the salon and the stylist told me that my hair would break off if I didnt get a relaxer :rolleyes:. I dont have a goal of weeks to go w/o a relaxer, but I will go w/o one for as long as I can.

Last edited:

So far Im 12wks post relaxer. This is the longest Ive gone w/o a relaxer. I recently told went to the salon and they stylist told me that my hair would break off if I didnt get a relaxer :rolleyes:. I dont have a goal of weeks to go w/o a relaxer, but I will go w/o one for as long as I can.

WELCOME! The more, the merrier!

Most times, a hair dresser is out for his/her own best interests. The more you relax, more money in their pockets. YOU be the judge of how well stretching goes with your hair. I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly suprised. :yep:

Hi All!

I'm 17 wks post relaxer and I want to know if I'm headed for a disaster. I purchased a Nano Babybliss Blowdryer and for the last 3 wks I have done my version of a Domnican blowout on my ROOTS only. Meaning I condition and rollerset. I'm trying to stretch at least 5 months this time so I decided to try doing the blowouts to make things more manageable. I usually wear it down Sunday and Monday and then back to the bun. Any thoughts stretchers? I don't want to be in for a rude awakening when I relax.

11 weeks here. picked up some JBCO last night so my hair feels fine but it's definitely not cute around the edges and I smell like I was up grilling all night using a lot of charcoal. LOL

So far Im 12wks post relaxer. This is the longest Ive gone w/o a relaxer. I recently told went to the salon and the stylist told me that my hair would break off if I didnt get a relaxer :rolleyes:. I dont have a goal of weeks to go w/o a relaxer, but I will go w/o one for as long as I can.

My stylist told me the same thing. That is why I have been so hesitant about stretching for to long. I'm currently 12 weeks post and trying to decide if I will stretch longer.

Checking in at like 14 weeks. I'm SO frustrated right now. :wallbash: I'm really considering just transitioning instead of getting a touch up in January because it's times like these that I wish I was natural...the more new growth I get, the more I love it and miss being natural while feeling frustrated at the same time. I'm severely style challenged at this point to the extent that I have briefly considered doing a BC right now or going completely bald. (which I have in the past out of curiosity) I'm done venting for now; I don't want to say too much...:nono: Off to spend time in the transitioner's support thread...

Hi All!

I'm 17 wks post relaxer and I want to know if I'm headed for a disaster. I purchased a Nano Babybliss Blowdryer and for the last 3 wks I have done my version of a Domnican blowout on my ROOTS only. Meaning I condition and rollerset. I'm trying to stretch at least 5 months this time so I decided to try doing the blowouts to make things more manageable. I usually wear it down Sunday and Monday and then back to the bun. Any thoughts stretchers? I don't want to be in for a rude awakening when I relax.

I really don't know if I would feel comfortable blow styling my hair for so many weeks in a row, heck I hate too much heat styling on the whole. Your hair may be able to handle it though. I know my hair can't do it. The last time direct heat touched my hair was in May and prbably won't again until December or January 2010...... maybe! I would be so scared to apply heat so often on my hair:look:.

Back