Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Wow...how is your stretch going so far? Have you been in braids for the majority of your stretch? If not, what other styles do you wear? Good luck!

its going fab thanks!! it's not actually that bad, or tempting to texlax as i've only actually done it once (february 2009) since i started growing my hair from less than an inch two years ago. I'm in braids most of the time (usually 2-3 months) and then out of braids usually for about a month at a time. It is hard work though when I'm out of braids. :yep:

long time lurker, first time poster.

my hair's always in braids, so this shouldn't be too bad.
did a 9 month stretch earlier this year and went from NL to almost APL.
so i want to try another.
checking in at about 8 weeks post.

Hi,
longtime lurker coming to the light :grin:
I am currently 10 wks post everything was going well but lately my hair has been super dry. My hair is my siggy. I cover my head whenever I go outside since its so cold and I moisturize with S-curl but its still dry:nono:Now I am seeing alot of hair when I try to detangle :wallbash:. Help! Im thinking condition with egg this weekend. Any suggestions??? I want to relax end of November.

Hi :wave: Ruby True,

Welcome to the forum. I see what could possibly be your problem. You indicated that it is cold out and that you are using S-Curl spray on your hair. Well S-Curl has glycerine, a humectant which draws moisture from the air. Unfortunately it can only draw moisture from air where the humidity is at 65% or higher so it's perfect for me ALL year long because I live in the tropics.

If the humidity is not at 65% or above in your area, then the sad thing is that the glycerine in the s-curl will pull the moisture from the nearest possible place it can get it, and unfortunately, that would be your scalp.

If you are living somewhere where the humidity drops during cold weather then you would have to switch things up a bit and use products without glycerine in it.

A product I use is Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner which is a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioner. You can purchase it from www.naturallycurly.com or www.curlymart.com. I believe the entire line is glycerine and silicone free. I use just about every product in this line.

If you would like a daily moisturizer to replace your S-Curl during the colder months when the humidity drops, then I would recommend Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier which incidently is an awesome detangler as well and you can get it from www.naturalhair.org.

Now there is an entire product line that caters to hair when the humidity is low and it is called Mastey and you can get them from www.sleekhair.com.

Don't just take my word for it, do your research to confirm my findings just to make sure you are doing what is right for your hair, okay?

If you are experiencing breakage, clarify your hair first and remember protein is your friend during a long relaxer stretch so a mild protein treatment should be in order at least once a week to every 2 weeks but you must follow protein treatments up with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Also, find a protective style that keeps your hands out of your hair. I like extension braids and wigs:grin:. Others like bunning and weaves, twists, etc...

I've been pourning over Sylvers Fotki and I ran to Harmon's after work and bought the Rusk Smoother Conditioner and some NTM Serum (I had NTM products while back and gave it away because they never really did anything for me.) Maybe this time, it will using her techniques.

I am 13 weeks post, 4a/b, fine and thin.

I wish I had Sylver's thickness and length right now dammit! :giggle:

I love the scent of the Rusk Smoother. :yep:

Girl you and me both at bolded:grin:.

This is prob no big deal to the long term stretchers... I use to be one, I use to stretch for 16 wks no issues at all. Since my hair texture has changed, I've been relaxing more like every 7 wks, 8 tops. Anyway, today makes my 8th wk and I am soooo proud that I decided not to relax today. I washed my hair yesterday gave myself a reallllly deep treat w/ Kenra MC mixed w/ SAA and a bit of wheat protein. I pulled it back in a ponytail w/ a roller on the end to let it airdry since i'm not going anywhere today.

I'd like to try and stretch until wk 10, I suppose I will make an attempt at a braidout when I want something that looks kinda cute for going out.

I'd like to join too. So far I'm at 24 weeks.

my hair's always in braids, so this shouldn't be too bad.
so i want to try another.
checking in at about 8 weeks post.

Welcome to all new participants and long time lurkers to the stretchers challenge:yep:.

Niiiice! Do you remember at how many weeks post relaxer you were when you ended your last stretch. Just curious. I myself am stretching 41 weeks and hoping to get from SL to APL.:yep:

Hi Aggie,
Thanks for the information. I will look at the products and try more protective styles. Sage advice as usual:thumbsup:

Welcome to all new participants and long time lurkers to the stretchers challenge:yep:.

Thanks for welcoming all the new folks to the thread. I mainly have been posting and running because I started a new job. Between that and my writing I really haven't had time to keep up with things here.

:kiss: :flowers:

Thanks for welcoming all the new folks to the thread. I mainly have been posting and running because I started a new job. Between that and my writing I really haven't had time to keep up with things here.

:kiss: :flowers:

Ooooh SP, I was thinking about sending you a PM this afternoon, then got distracted with something else:nono:, I'm sorry.

I am so happy to hear you got a new job and at least, you're sneaking in to say hi and check up on us even though you're busy:yep:.

Thank you for the sacrifice:bighug:.

My relaxer came out well, i got quite a bit of thickness and i haven't seen any areas that seem to have suffered from my stretch. I was pretty tired of all the fuzzies and my hair refusing to lie down even though i used some IC Fantasia Gel and i didnt want to comb so i was afraid i was brushing too much. Oh well, its over now, LOL, i'm still bunning just like before, that wont cut down till i'm like BSL or MBL, i think 12 weeks is good for me. Thanks for this thread though!

I am 3 weeks post now and I am loving my hair but I have been in it toooooo much. I am getting my briads again at the end of the month. Funny thing is I kinda miss my waves! Oh and another funny thing is my DH (darn this time not darling) said he like it better when I was 90% natural!!!!! Fine time for him to say something isnt it? But I think I would have still relaxed but I like his input. My hubby has also talked me into stretching for another year so I wont be relaxing until this time next year again. I have gained mucho mucho thickness and growth due to my henna treatments and doing the C&G challenge. My hubby put a ruler to my back and I should be BSB by this time next year.

I am loving my hair's health and length. A friend once told me when your hair is in tip top health you dont fight with it. It is very obedient (sp?). And my hair has been a very good girl!!!!

So I will keep checking in to this thread. Good luck and many blessings!!!

SouthernStunner

I am 3 weeks post now and I am loving my hair but I have been in it toooooo much. I am getting my briads again at the end of the month. Funny thing is I kinda miss my waves! Oh and another funny thing is my DH (darn this time not darling) said he like it better when I was 90% natural!!!!! Fine time for him to say something isnt it? But I think I would have still relaxed but I like his input. My hubby has also talked me into stretching for another year so I wont be relaxing until this time next year again. I have gained mucho mucho thickness and growth due to my henna treatments and doing the C&G challenge. My hubby put a ruler to my back and I should be BSB by this time next year.

I am loving my hair's health and length. A friend once told me when your hair is in tip top health you dont fight with it. It is very obedient (sp?). And my hair has been a very good girl!!!!

So I will keep checking in to this thread. Good luck and many blessings!!!

SouthernStunner

I don't wanna get snippy or anything... but I seem to recall a certain year-long stretcher promising us pictures when she relaxed!:look: :look: :look:

I don't wanna get snippy or anything... but I seem to recall a certain year-long stretcher promising us pictures when she relaxed!:look: :look: :look:

LOL I laughed so hard at this. Well I did post them in the APL thread. I have been getting a few PMs about my results so I will have them posted by Sat. in its own thread. I didnt think that my hair should have its own thread, I mean I didnt make it to APL but I am happy nonetheless. Look forward to it on Sat. I PROMISE

Thank you and many Blessings,
SouthernStunner

Checking in at 18 weeks. I'm loving my AO Island Naturals Con and also Suave Humectant(leave in). AO Island makes my roots buttery smooth.

Another year long stretch?? SouthernStunner, you are the stretching QUEEN!!

Hey Beans I wanted to tell u I DC with Mane and Tail and gurl I was dancing all around the house doing the white gurl flip with my hair ( u know what I am talking about). That was some good advice. Thanks a bunch.

As far as the stretching it becomes addictive. It rains here everyday even if it is just a little and the humidity is like 90% everyday so it really doesnt make sense to really "do" my hair and it last half a day. I have been going to work with my scarf on and combing out my hair in the bathroom and before I live put it back up. Too much work. I am doing the C&G method again next year so I am hoping to get a better growth spurt since I am adding more protein to my diet and keeping my hands out of it. I may keep this up until I move back to the States in 2012. I wanna get off the plane and walk down the terminal like a stallion!

I will post pics in its own thread.

Blessings,
SouthernStunner

Hey Beans I wanted to tell u I DC with Mane and Tail and gurl I was dancing all around the house doing the white gurl flip with my hair ( u know what I am talking about). That was some good advice. Thanks a bunch.

As far as the stretching it becomes addictive. It rains here everyday even if it is just a little and the humidity is like 90% everyday so it really doesnt make sense to really "do" my hair and it last half a day. I have been going to work with my scarf on and combing out my hair in the bathroom and before I live put it back up. Too much work. I am doing the C&G method again next year so I am hoping to get a better growth spurt since I am adding more protein to my diet and keeping my hands out of it. I may keep this up until I move back to the States in 2012. I wanna get off the plane and walk down the terminal like a stallion!

I will post pics in its own thread.

Blessings,
SouthernStunner

Thanks for the update SS. Please post the link to the pics in this thread so we can come over and show you some love, okay:yep:?

For those of you who normally stretch 16+ weeks...do you self-relax? If not, are you charged more money by your stylist because you have more ng?

For those of you who normally stretch 16+ weeks...do you self-relax? If not, are you charged more money by your stylist because you have more ng?

I am a self-relaxer so I couldn't be of any help, so sorry nymane.

I am a self-relaxer so I couldn't be of any help, so sorry nymane.

That's okay...thanks for responding so quickly. I was just thinking, self relaxing may be inevitable, as my stretches get longer. I don't know, lol I'll worry about that when I make it to 16 weeks post

That's okay...thanks for responding so quickly. I was just thinking, self relaxing may be inevitable, as my stretches get longer. I don't know, lol I'll worry about that when I make it to 16 weeks post

At least you have the right spirit and that my dear, will get you far in this hair journey:yep:.

Hello everyone. I was wondering if I can join? I'm currently stretching but not on purpose. My last relaxer was in july I believe. I stopped taking care of my hair and right now I have matted, tangles, and knotted hair all around. I made a mistake and wet bun my hair and slightly ran a bruch through it which was a big no no.

Therefore I had enough and remembered a quote that I learned on here, "if you don't have the money take the time and if you don't have the time use the money" it was similar to that. So I started slightly going through my hair n sections and got half of the tangles out on my left side. So far so good. I am using mane and tail detangler. It works excellent. I want to keep that and jojoba oil in stock at all times. I have my right side left so I'm going to go through that today.

Ill probably saturate my hair n oil as a prepoo after. I just gave myself a protein treatment and that went well..did that on Friday. I found a youtube video that helped me understand detangling while stretching. For some reason doing it outside of the shower wit loads of conditioner, in sections appears like it will be best for me. So I'm going to follow that and airydry in single braids.

My only issue is styling the hair. I'm going to check out some more youtube videos and fotki's for this. I will love to do a french braid but am not good at braiding. I wonder if I put rollers att the end of my hair if it will look nice. Most likely I'll bun it when I'm done.

What styles is everyone rocking while transitioning and how often do you wash your hair?

Aggie I love your braids by the way and now I understand why scurl only worked for me once. I'm going to start a hair folder with notes and stuff lol

Hello everyone. I was wondering if I can join? I'm currently stretching but not on purpose. My last relaxer was in july I believe. I stopped taking care of my hair and right now I have matted, tangles, and knotted hair all around. I made a mistake and wet bun my hair and slightly ran a bruch through it which was a big no no.

Therefore I had enough and remembered a quote that I learned on here, "if you don't have the money take the time and if you don't have the time use the money" it was similar to that. So I started slightly going through my hair n sections and got half of the tangles out on my left side. So far so good. I am using mane and tail detangler. It works excellent. I want to keep that and jojoba oil in stock at all times. I have my right side left so I'm going to go through that today.

Ill probably saturate my hair n oil as a prepoo after. I just gave myself a protein treatment and that went well..did that on Friday. I found a youtube video that helped me understand detangling while stretching. For some reason doing it outside of the shower wit loads of conditioner, in sections appears like it will be best for me. So I'm going to follow that and airydry in single braids.

My only issue is styling the hair. I'm going to check out some more youtube videos and fotki's for this. I will love to do a french braid but am not good at braiding. I wonder if I put rollers att the end of my hair if it will look nice. Most likely I'll bun it when I'm done.

What styles is everyone rocking while transitioning and how often do you wash your hair?

Aggie I love your braids by the way and now I understand why scurl only worked for me once. I'm going to start a hair folder with notes and stuff lol

Thanks for the compliment SoSweet08. Yeah, S-Curl works best when humidity levels are 65% and above because of the glycerine in it.

In fact, I couldn't use it this week because the humidity here fell below that and so I switched things up a bit and used Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier instead - it has no glycerine in it, thank God!

ETA:

Good luck with your hair care. I get like that sometimes when i don't feel like doing anything with my hair and thankfully I was blessed enough to have an assortment of wigs I could use and have it braided down during those times. If you get that way again, try a protective style that you like, they really are hair savers.

Last edited:
Back