Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I just ended my 6 month stretch last night and i'm still tired from all the de-tangling, LOL! I had about 2 handfuls of hair after the entire process was done. I plan on straightening my hair tonight to check out the length. I did notice that my ends are a lot thinner than expected. So i'm anticipating cutting off about 1-2 inches and nursing my ends. I'm hoping to get my ends as good as my roots :) I'll be posting pics tonight of the before and after.

I just ended my 6 month stretch last night and i'm still tired from all the de-tangling, LOL! I had about 2 handfuls of hair after the entire process was done. I plan on straightening my hair tonight to check out the length. I did notice that my ends are a lot thinner than expected. So i'm anticipating cutting off about 1-2 inches and nursing my ends. I'm hoping to get my ends as good as my roots :) I'll be posting pics tonight of the before and after.
AJ, ends will always look thin in a long stretch. I would recommend straightening it first to see how your whole head of hair looks, then take it from there. Try not to trim first.

Well, it's time for me to start the countdown. It's been fun stretching with you ladies. My stretch ends in 3 days!!!:drunk: I can't wait to relax again. 26 weeks is a long time, but it flew by with the help of you all.

As I reflect at T minus 3 days, and counting, I've learned several things:
- My natural hair actually has springy coils, which is cool. I always thought it was all zig zags.
- My natural hair and relaxed hair like different products and need different amounts of the products.
- It is possible to smooth down new growth (quite nicely and super smooth through about 20-22 weeks) with the right products and technique

Well, that's it for now -- I guess I'll reflect more tomorrow.

Well, it's time for me to start the countdown. It's been fun stretching with you ladies. My stretch ends in 3 days!!!:drunk: I can't wait to relax again. 26 weeks is a long time, but it flew by with the help of you all.

As I reflect at T minus 3 days, and counting, I've learned several things:
- My natural hair actually has springy coils, which is cool. I always thought it was all zig zags.
- My natural hair and relaxed hair like different products and need different amounts of the products.
- It is possible to smooth down new growth (quite nicely and super smooth through about 20-22 weeks) with the right products and technique

Well, that's it for now -- I guess I'll reflect more tomorrow.

Congratulations panamoni on reaching your stretch goals.

Congrats Panamoni on your stretch! I would love to do a 26 wk stretch. I'm at 15 wks which is a norm for me because I usually relax between 12-16. Another 10 wks :nono: I don't know:drunk:

T minus 2 days until my relaxer. More reflection on the stretch:

I normally got my relaxers every 12 weeks before LHCF...which is still considered a big deal stretch to a lot of people. When I happened upon this thread, I literally thought to myself, "These people are crazy if they think I'm going to stretch for 6 months -- that's just crazy." I was willing to add on a couple of weeks -- 16 (which I had done once before) or even 20 (which was pushing it), but as I became inspired by you all, and practiced different techniques with styling my bun and various products, it became doable to go to 6 months.

Another thing that helped along the way when I had the occasional day when the new growth would not lie down and I wasn't feeling like myself because of my hair, was paying special attention to my appearance and using my accessories to spruce up my look. It made me feel better about how I was presenting myself -- and I happened to get several compliments.

More tomorrow... ;o)

I guess I need to hang out around this thread for stretching inspiration. I just don't want a long stretch to do more harm than good as I have read about.

I guess I need to hang out around this thread for stretching inspiration. I just don't want a long stretch to do more harm than good as I have read about.

It's so funny, I was writing my post when you were writing yours, so it's funny my reflection touched on something you wrote about.

I definitely see your concern about stretching. Just take it one week at a time. It's not for everyone. As much as I'm ok with long term stretching, once I reach my goal, I'm not sure if I'll stretch as long anymore. 16-20 weeks will probably be the norm. I haven't decided yet.

I'm wearing a braidout today. This is my first successful one. I actually did it on dry hair using Qhemet's Honey Tea Bush Gel (is that right??), put some rollers on the ends, then went under the dryer for 30 minutes. Took the rollers out right before I went to bed and took the braids out this morning. This is going to help me get through this transition. I will be doing flexirods tonight without papers because I forgot my wallet at home. I was planning to swing past Sally's after work.

Hey ladies, I'm a little over 8 weeks post and I'm going for 16 weeks (the longest stretch since my HHJ); My last stretch ended at 11 weeks, I was really struggling but I know what I was missing...dcing on dry hair & frequent co-washes

Any who, my stretch this time around is going extremely well; minimum shedding, almost No breakage, & my ng/hair is soft. If it continues to go this well I may try and stretch for more than 16 weeks...lol I'll definitely be in here for support!

Hey ladies, I'm a little over 8 weeks post and I'm going for 16 weeks (the longest stretch since my HHJ); My last stretch ended at 11 weeks, I was really struggling but I know what I was missing...dcing on dry hair & frequent co-washes

Any who, my stretch this time around is going extremely well; minimum shedding, almost No breakage, & my ng/hair is soft. If it continues to go this well I may try and stretch for more than 16 weeks...lol I'll definitely be in here for support!

Very good report nymane. Welcome:yep:.

Officially 15 weeks post and still going, i'm thinking of relaxing though just out of laziness, i'm not really having any issues with my hair but its a bit tedious to have to be so gentle when i detangle, it takes FOREVER.

Officially 15 weeks post and still going, i'm thinking of relaxing though just out of laziness, i'm not really having any issues with my hair but its a bit tedious to have to be so gentle when i detangle, it takes FOREVER.

This is exactly how I feel. It just takes so long to do my hair. I'm 15wks also, but may relax at 16wks.

Ok, well i'm out. I jus went ahead an relaxed spur of the moment, i have no regrets though it came out good and i did gain a bit of thickness. I'll probably just leave it at 12 weeks from now on and be done, i cant stretch past that and still be 'cute'. Lol.

Hi everybody!!! I've been lurking, and lurk-participating in this challenge :D Now, I'm subscribed to LHCF, amma subscribe to this thread! I am texlaxed, 35 weeks post tomorrow and planning on doing the full year :D I'm taking out my braids at the moment, and I've had them since August 8th.

Ok, well i'm out. I jus went ahead an relaxed spur of the moment, i have no regrets though it came out good and i did gain a bit of thickness. I'll probably just leave it at 12 weeks from now on and be done, i cant stretch past that and still be 'cute'. Lol.

Lol, I hear ya Khaiya. You know sometimes, staying cute does come with a price:grin:, and for you it's relaxing earlier than planned. Good luck on your future stretches.

Hi everybody!!! I've been lurking, and lurk-participating in this challenge :D Now, I'm subscribed to LHCF, amma subscribe to this thread! I am texlaxed, 35 weeks post tomorrow and planning on doing the full year :D I'm taking out my braids at the moment, and I've had them since August 8th.

Welcome to LHCF and to the challenge maghrebllover. Good luck on your year long stretch.

I understand.... the only reason I am at 13 weeks now is because I am also bunning for a year. I don't have to worry about looking cute if I am just going to stick my hair under a bun.

Wow...how is your stretch going so far? Have you been in braids for the majority of your stretch? If not, what other styles do you wear? Good luck!

Hi Ladies,

I relaxed today (my stylist did it)! It came out well for the most part (hair looks great - I will use Syntonics again - better than Fiberguard for me), but she did notice some breakage in the back which could either be from stretching so long or bunning or both.

Also, detangling was a major effort. Although I detangled often, I think I may be more 4A than 4B and the tight coils curl back up instantly. The coils battle the relaxed hair to take ownership of the strands (and will win if I don't relax more quickly).

Going forward, I'm going to stretch for 12 or 16 weeks. And do french rolls for a while. ;o).

Panamoni

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

I relaxed today (my stylist did it)! It came out well for the most part (hair looks great - I will use Syntonics again - better than Fiberguard for me), but she did notice some breakage in the back which could either be from stretching so long or bunning or both.

Also, detangling was a major effort. Although I detangled often, I think I may be more 4A than 4B and the tight coils curl back up instantly. The coils battle the relaxed hair to take ownership of the strands (and will win if I don't relax more quickly).

Going forward, I'm going to stretch for 12 or 16 weeks. And do french rolls for a while. ;o).

Panamoni

At least you will still be stretching your realxers and that's all that matters. Good going panamoni.

Checking in at week 30.

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind words a while back in talking me off the ledge. Ten more weeks to go before my next touch up and December cannot come fast enough.

Hi,
longtime lurker coming to the light :grin:
I am currently 10 wks post everything was going well but lately my hair has been super dry. My hair is my siggy. I cover my head whenever I go outside since its so cold and I moisturize with S-curl but its still dry:nono:Now I am seeing alot of hair when I try to detangle :wallbash:. Help! Im thinking condition with egg this weekend. Any suggestions??? I want to relax end of November.

This is prob no big deal to the long term stretchers... I use to be one, I use to stretch for 16 wks no issues at all. Since my hair texture has changed, I've been relaxing more like every 7 wks, 8 tops. Anyway, today makes my 8th wk and I am soooo proud that I decided not to relax today. I washed my hair yesterday gave myself a reallllly deep treat w/ Kenra MC mixed w/ SAA and a bit of wheat protein. I pulled it back in a ponytail w/ a roller on the end to let it airdry since i'm not going anywhere today.

I'd like to try and stretch until wk 10, I suppose I will make an attempt at a braidout when I want something that looks kinda cute for going out.

I've been pourning over Sylvers Fotki and I ran to Harmon's after work and bought the Rusk Smoother Conditioner and some NTM Serum (I had NTM products while back and gave it away because they never really did anything for me.) Maybe this time, it will using her techniques.

I am 13 weeks post, 4a/b, fine and thin.

I wish I had Sylver's thickness and length right now dammit! :giggle:

I love the scent of the Rusk Smoother. :yep:

Hi,
longtime lurker coming to the light :grin:
I am currently 10 wks post everything was going well but lately my hair has been super dry. My hair is my siggy. I cover my head whenever I go outside since its so cold and I moisturize with S-curl but its still dry:nono:Now I am seeing alot of hair when I try to detangle :wallbash:. Help! Im thinking condition with egg this weekend. Any suggestions??? I want to relax end of November.

Hi there Ruby! :wave: Post #4! :grin:
What are you covering your hair with? Anything, especially cotton, is going to suck the moisture right out of it. You are only safe with silk or satin enveloping the hair, like a scarf will do. Some caps have a satin or silk lining so that should be fine.

Back